newbie here - dosing question

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by luna1234, Feb 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luna1234

luna1234 New Member

Hi everyone!
    I'm Crescent, still figuring out how to care for my 13-year-old tuxedo male named Zeus, who was diagnosed about a month ago. I've learned an awful lot by reading the material here and lurking on the boards - thanks for being a great resource even before I ask any specific questions!

So, I've switched over to low-carb wet food, have pretty much gotten the hang of BG testing, and am working with Lantus low and slow /relaxed protocol and am up to 2 units BID. Over the last few days I've been able to run more mid-cycle tests due to the snowstorm/weekend, and his +6h nadir tests are varying pretty widely from 94 to 280. Last night the PMPS was 141 so I fed, tested a couple hours later and he was up to 227, so I gave a half dose (1u.)

My sense is to stick at the same 2.0 dose (assuming a safe pre-shot test number), gather more data, and see if his numbers settle down a bit. But I'd love to get a sanity check from folks with more experience on this path! Spreadsheet link should be in my signature.

Thanks,
    Crescent

2. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

It looks like you're already doing fine! The higher number this morning is from the delayed and reduced dose from the night before. With the depot insulins (Lantus and Levemir) it's generally safe to shoot at "low" numbers, so you might have been able to give Zeus the full dose last night without any problems. But, you also did fine "stalling" the shot and giving a reduced dose; it's whatever you feel most comfortable doing at the time. Here's a post about what to do when you see a low pre-shot in the future.

Depending on how much you'll be around to monitor mid-cycle numbers, I might even suggest dropping the dose back a bit to 1.75u for the next couple of days and see how he handles it (I.e. Doesn't drop below 50 at nadir/peak and you don't have to skip shots).

3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

You're doing great!

Terrific job on home testing, switching the food, and setting up the spreadsheet. If you're so inclined, you are ready to start posting in one of the Lantus forums - Relaxed or Tight Regulation - you'll get more Lantus experienced eyes on your posts for feedback.

You may lower your no shot number to 150 mg/dl, either all at once or by 10 to 20 mg every few days so long as he stays safely above 50 mg/dL at nadir.

4. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Good job! We'd love to see a picture of your sweetie Zeus.

Here are directions, from over in the Tech Support Forum, on shrinking a picture down to avatar size. Look at the 3rd reply for step by step instructions.

5. luna1234

luna1234 New Member

Thanks for the feedback and reassurance, everyone!

6. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Zeus is very handsome.

I see a lot of 0.50 units dose adjustments. I would try to adjust the dose in 0.25 unit increments in the future, like you just did.

Welcome :cool:

7. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Oh Zeus! You've got a picture up now! What a pretty black and white kitty you are.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.