Fancy Feast message sent today

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Chloe and Kipper (GA), Apr 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chloe and Kipper (GA)

Chloe and Kipper (GA) New Member

So very disappointed about the change in label and, obviously, the formula of Tender Beef Feast, Gourmet Chicken Feast, and Turkey and Giblets Feast. My 4 cats hate the newly labeled formula (and I purchased six weeks' supply just a week ago!). And this is what is really infuriating. My one diabetic cat who thrived on these three flavors (all previously gluten free and low carb) and 1/2 unit of insulin twice a day now has out of control glucose levels. NOTHING HAD CHANGED BUT THE FANCY FEAST. You lost me as a customer.

I finally put it together after observing Kipper's response to new cartridge of insulin and the food he was eating.

We are back to prepping and feeding raw again. Sorry I have not had time to update Kipper's spreadsheet. I have the data but not the time right now (new job).

He went from 1/2 U b.i.d. (running 40 to about 110) to about 1.25U b.i.d. with sugars in the high 200's and low to mid 300's. Not good, and it has to be the food.

2. fourcatsmama

fourcatsmama Member

What are the nutritional changes to the tender beef feast? I thought they just changed the label, not the formula, and I don't have any of the old cans to compare. This could be why Sophie is not eating it as much anymore, and that was her favorite flavor.

3. Chloe and Kipper (GA)

There are some other threads you might research on the same subject. I just got disgusted today with a closet full of six weeks supply for 4 cats and they are voicing their reluctance to eat it. Lionel covers it up (his kitty litter response to food he does not want), Rudi barely eating it, Dolly (my porky girl) putting herself on diet because she does not like it, and Kipper not only waiting all day and eating it only if he has to and then having him have all these high numbers (he has been so well regulated for an entire year that it is very difficult to believe it is anything other than the Fancy Feast as absolutely nothing else has changed).

I know several other members did contact Purina and did get more technical information. I am only going on my crew's behavior and Kipper's blood glucose and insulin numbers.

Not much help other than just these facts. Kipper loves his raw food and I will have to get back to feeding him that. It is time consuming and I have been so exhausted since the economy devastated my business and now I have to work a full-time and a part-time job and still do not clear what I used with my business. I will do for him though. He is my baby afterall.

4. Traci and Boomer

Traci and Boomer Well-Known Member

Are you saying that all 3 of these are NO LONGER LOW CARB??????
    Please clarify if this is a fact (and not a flavor issue)- and that I shouldn't be feeding them. Do the food charts need to be changed?

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

yes please do let us know if there is a carb change....i have a cupboard full of these flavors as they are some of tom's fav's and he has not seemed to notice the change as far as gobbling it all down....however tom is the type that would eat ANYTHING!

6. Chloe and Kipper (GA)

Lori and Tom, Traci and Boomer,

Please research other threads on the same subject that have more technical information. My post is experiential only.

I have not broken down the response by the flavor, so I do not know the answer that all three have changed.

My post simply is to say I have observed the following:

All 4 cats do not like this food (which they previously loved for a year) after the label changed and I believe the ingredients changed.

Kipper's higher BG levels and, therefore, higher insulin requirements ARE connected to the food as all other variables are the same. It is a remote possibility in my mind because he has been stable for a year that it is the catfood that is the only thing that is different.

Hope this clears up where I am coming from on this. Observation only.

7. Traci and Boomer

Traci and Boomer Well-Known Member

Thank you for the clarification! Boomer is new to FF so I needed to check. I hope you find a food that they like!

8. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

Chloe, my experience is almost the same! And I just don't believe that so many of our kitties would suddenly dislike something they ate happily.

My kitty was down to .25 units -- and then suddenly higher numbers, and we had to go back up to .5. I believe it was the FF Tender Beef. I did informal experiments, and feedng the beef always raised his BG - about 10-20 points, but that's enough.

He ate nothing but that, but it has changed, whether Purina admits it or not. I had both the old label and the new label -- you can SEE the difference,and obviously Kitty tastes it. He does not like it.

He tolerates the Chicken Feast. I've been mixing the new label chicken with the old label, and his numbers aren't higher. For us, it seems it is only the beef.

My problem now is getting a new food that is both low-carb and tasty. Why, oh why, did Purina have to fix something that wasn't broken??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.