Recommendations for FD friendly vet in Central New Jersey

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by katieroc, Oct 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. katieroc

katieroc Member

Any recommendations for an FD friendly vet in Monmouth or Middlesex county NJ is appreciated. Thx.

2. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: Recommendations for FD friendly vet in Central New Jerse

I use Raritan Animal Hospital in Edison - they have several locations throughout Middlesex County -- http://www.raritananimalhospital.com

they have several vets there - the one I initially saw for FD, is no longer there. however, there are several very good vets that I've seen mainly for routine care only. The owners - Dr. Lafoon and Quinn are good and knowledgeable.

Of the vets listed I've seen:

Dr. Christine Spodnick, VMD
    Dr. Deborah Traurig, VMD
    Dr. Patricia King, DVM
    Dr. Christopher Laffoon, VMD

There are names on the list that I don't know, and I'm sure are fine.

The thing to keep in mind when choosing any vet - is that you need to dictate the terms of what you want and need and be prepared to say no.

The vet I initially saw, showed me how to inject insulin, was open to home testing and didn't push any type of monitor. While they all want to push prescription foods, I just said that I had that covered and was giving food that I knew would be appropriate based on carb load.

As I no longer have a diabetic, I still will not discuss diet with the vets, especially when they bring up using prescription and dry foods. I just say I will take that under advisement.

When I have an issue that I think needs more than routine care, I go to Red Bank Veterinary Hospital. http://www.rbvh.net/

Especially, for any surgical procedures, x-rays and ultrasounds, dentals and emergencies. The reason is that I know at Red Bank, they will do all tests immediately, while I wait, unlike Raritan, where you have to make a separate appointment for xrays, ultrasounds, etc. Raritan is also not a 24-7 operation, therefore, if my cat needs to be there overnight (ie surgery) - there is nobody there to monitor - unlike Red Bank that is 24-7, including holidays. If I wanted I could go there at 3 am and be able to visit my cat (not that I've done that - I have called at 3 am and talked with the tech on duty).

I have only used the main location in Red Bank.

And for both places - you can use my name as your referral - last name is Bloom

Hope this helps.

Swati likes this.
  3. katieroc

katieroc Member

Thanks for your response. I will take a look at the Raritan site you provided. Right now, my cat is on Purina DM canned. I just printed a list (from this site) and will be looking this weekend for commercially available low carb canned food. The lantus dose was just upped to 3 units twice daily (which seems like a lot to me). I'm quite concerned with the elevated numbers over the last week. 300's. Yesterday, I tested him 5, 6 and 7 hours after his morning shot (331) and there was no fluctation at all in the numbers. 318, 314 and 316. Just flat. Maybe I'm rushing his progress or not being realistic about a remission. I want to get him off insulin (if he can) as soon as possible and it seems like we've taken one step forward and 3 back since his diagnosis.

Thanks again for all the information.

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Please be advised that when you change to a lower carb food, the glucose may drop as much as 100 mg/dL and the insulin dose may drop as much as 2 units. If you change over gradually, you'll be able to adjust the insulin gradually, too.

Also, food changes are best done gradually to avoid inappettance, vomiting, or diarrhes. Switch about 20-25% of the food per day. Hold steady of back up a level if there are GI problems.

5. katieroc

katieroc Member

Yes, if I change the food, I'll combine the new to his existing. Thanks for the percent info. I think the carb value on the canned prescription DM that I feed him now is only 3% (I have to check the chart). Most of the commercial looks higher.

My vet demonstrated giving the shot and had me administer. She is very open to home testing and doing curves at home as opposed to the office. My concern is his numbers looked very good initially and recently have really increased. I'm not sure of the reason for this. Insulin resistant, loss of potency of the insulin (it's only a little over a month old)? Nothing changed where I can attibute the increase in bg. As I said, maybe I'm rushing this whole process. But, I think that a second opinion might be a good idea.

6. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Initially, you sometimes get a good response and the body seems to get accustomed to the external insulin and starts 'resisting' it. You keep following your insulin protocol for dose adjustments.

7. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Which city are you in? If you need someone to help in person, seems like we are neighbors -- I'm in Woodbridge.

8. katieroc

katieroc Member

Small world. We are neighbors. I'm in Matawan. No change in numbers for my cat. Still 300's. Low 300's but, I'm making an appointment tomorrow for 2nd opinion. Started mixing some tiki cat food I got yesterday with his presciption food. He absolutely loved the new stuff but following guidance on this site I'm introducing the tiki cat slowly since it has 0 carbs.

9. Hillary & Maui (GA)

You may find this article helpful regarding prescription foods - and after reading it, may no longer want to spend $$ on this -- using food from the pet store works just as well, when you follow Dr. Lisa's food chart list.

Keep in mind when going to a vet, especially a new one -

1) bring your cat's history with you - including all tests and notes from previous vet
    2) bring a copy of the your spreadsheet
    3) they may want to do their own set of tests, including a fructosamine because they don't have any other information to go on

In case you don't know what a fructosamine test is - it's a blood test that measures the average BG level over the past two weeks. It's a good tool for diagnosing FD and for those that do not home test, but it is a waste of money if you do test and have a spreadsheet you can show.

If you are going to Raritan - try to get an appt with one of the owners, if not then whomever.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Attached Files:

10. katieroc

katieroc Member

Thank you for the article. Rui did have the fruc test. Vet said results were "good". (I home test bg). All other testing normal. He should have his teeth cleaned, though. At the vet visit when he was diagnosed, right before she tested his sugar, she said he had lots of tartar. Then all focus was on the diabetes and we forgot about his teeth. I'm reading this could cause high numbers???

11. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Yes dental issues most certainly can cause BG's to elevate.

There is an excellent dentist I recommend that you go to. She is not cheap, but she is the best in the area. I trusted her with all my cats, made sure she knew of all special needs and took the necessary precautions.

She works at Red Bank Veterinary Hospital - is studying for her board certification (she may have it by now) - and is the resident dentist there - her name is Kristin Scott, DVM, Practice Limited to Dentistry & Oral Surgery. The other dentist there is also excellent - James Anthony, DVM, BSc (Agr.), MRCVS, FAVD, Diplomate AVDC, Diplomate EVDC, PAg -- he's been practicing over 25 years and knows his stuff.

I know both dentists and mainly we see Dr. Scott as she is full time -

It's worth the money to go here and have the peace of mind, knowing your cat is in excellent hands, being well cared for and most importantly monitored constantly. I always bring my own food and treats (with instructions on what/how to feed), a tshirt that I've worn and sometimes a brush, as my cats love brushes. Even after a consult, I always include written instructions if there is something they need to be aware of or reminded of.

Again, mention my name as a referral. She has seen all three of my cats Sydney, Maui and Buster. She hasn't seen my new boys yet.

My reasons for going to here instead of the general vet to do a dental -- the cost difference is not that much for the peace of mind I get, knowing that this person specializes in dentistry only and has her own staff to help out and only focuses on x number of patients a day - usually she does no more than 3 dentals in one day.

- They take xrays as a standard procedure without having to ask.
    - She does a thorough exam before the dental and while under anesthesia.
    - She will adapt her drug protocol, if you have concerns with certain drugs - I won't let her use ketamine and my cats had a hard time coming out of anesthesia, so she knows this and goes with the lightest dose possible.
    - She will give pain meds and not say that it is not necessary - she will administer pain meds during procedures and many times send you home with pain meds
    - She likes what she is doing and is personable and knowledgeable
    - You receive a thorough report as your take him gift - including before and after photos, so you can see exactly how bad things were and what was done to correct it

12. katieroc

katieroc Member

Thanks so much for all the information and your recommendations. I've never been to Red Bank but know of there reputation as an excellent facility. My head is still spinning with all of this! I appreciate you and all the people on this site who've shared there experience and insights with me.

13. Hillary & Maui (GA)

I hear you. I had to learn the hard way, just where to go and whom to trust, vet wise.

14. CCT

CCT New Member

So, katieroc, did you find a FD friendly vet yet ? I need one also for my cat. Thanks for any recommendation.
    BTW, how is your cat doing with the insulin treatment now ? I may have something for you. Insulin can only temporary lower the blood sugar. If you want your cat to be healthy on its own, you may want to consider something in addition to insulin. I was told that herbal medicine can heal the beta cells over long term. Go to http://www.petwellbeing.com , look at reviews under the product blood sugar gold . It sounds promising.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.