Glucose Testing

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mary A Gallaher, Oct 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mary A Gallaher

Mary A Gallaher New Member

My cat has had feline diabetes for approximately 2 years and it's been VERY difficult to get his glucose regulated. I've changed vet's 3 times and like this 3rd vet, He receives 2 insulin shots daily and since the vet did 2 glucose curves on him in recent months, she does not want me to test him daily, just give him a shot twice a day at a half a unit. Most days he is low in the a.m. and high in the p.m. Today he registered 83 so I skipped the shot. I really need to know what to do in these situations so I don't harm him. I feel if he's 83 in the a.m. he may drop his level to a dangerous point if I give him the insulin shot.

Please let me know what I should do. Thank you so much. Mary Gallaher

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Most of us here record are blood glucose reading, dose and other things in a spreadsheet. For how to create one see:
    viewtopic.php?f=6&t=50130

Most of use also test before each shot and periodically between shots including a cure (BGs taken every two hours).

Without more information as what the BGs you are seeing and when they occur I really can't help.
    Also, the stress of doing a curve at the vet's can elevate BGs by 100 points or more. That is why it is best to do curves at home.

Also what insulin are yo using and what and when are you feeding.

3. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome Mary. :D This is a great place to get help. Everyone who replies to your post is paying it forward for help they received.

Knowing the type of insulin would be helpful for us as they are dosed differently. And giving us some recent numbers (preshot and midcycle are important) will also help us see what might be going on. It sounds like you are testing at home which will enable you to see exactly how the insulin is working in his body. Diet is also a vital part of this puzzle. We feed wet low carb food as it reduces the blood glucose levels. A vet explains why here: http://www.catinfo.org

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

See my signature link Glucometer Notes for some info on what the numbers may mean.
    Since we don't know what insulin you are using, pick from the following and start reading. There's a lot of info, so do your best, then ask questions.

If you are using Humulin or Novolin, read this

If you are using ProZinc or BCP PZI, read this

If you are using Lantus or Levemir, read this

If you are using Vetsulin or Caninsulin, read this

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.