returning user

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by BJM, Oct 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Better insulins are ProZinc, Levemir, Lantus, and Levemir. These last about 12 hours in the cat.
    You vet is familiar with Humulin/Novolin N, so I'd suggest lobbying for ProZinc, as it will build on his familiarity with non-depot insulins.

N lasts about 6-8 hours in the cat, so increasing the dose based on a pre-shot blood draw is going up too much, too fast.

We do advocate home testing. Most find the costs of test strips for the AlphaTrak prohibitive at $1 or more per strip and use a human glucometer with pet specific reference numbers (see my signature link Glucometer Notes.) The WalMart ReliOn Confirm is decent for our purposes and good when starting out. A generic version, the Glucocard 01, is available through our shopping link above, at ADW.

Go to Cat Info for nutrition info and a food list. Anything under 10% calories from carbohydrates is good. I feed all of mine Friskies pates (except Mixed Grill)

3. Cattluvr49

Cattluvr49 New Member

Thanks for reposting for me. Bogie has never eaten canned food in his life. In fact I have 8 other cats and I can leave their canned food down cause I know Bogie won't touch it. We use Fancy Feast in addition to several other grain free canned foods. I confess that Bogie was my junk food junkie living on Fancy Feast dry for a long time. I was thrilled to find a grain free dry he liked but it is 70% protein and Fats and 30% carbs and fiber. I realize know that may still be too high carbs for him. I will check out the food link and try transitioning him to a food with less carbs.

4. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

If you absolutely have to go with dry or to use while transitioning him over to canned then I've heard excellent things about Young Again Zero Carbs, the only draw backs are its only available on line and is fairly pricey.

I lucked out all 16 of mine thought they hit the mother load when we adopted our first diabetic and everyone went on Friskies Pate style canned. Although I did have to start adding a little water to it and mushing it with a fork to fool the gravy addict in the house... :lol:

Mel and The Fur Gang

5. Cattluvr49

Cattluvr49 New Member

So happy I got the AlphaTrak 2 and started home testing already. Just tested Bogie at + 3 1/2 hours after giving him his 5 units of N and his BG is 95. Gave him some grain free kibble to nosh on. Yesterday at + 5 hours his BG was 213 and at + 11 hours it was 447. I have an appt with a different vet tomorrow at 10:15 and I'm guessing he will go to a different insulin. In the meantime input in a call to the current vet with the numbers. I will spend the evening reading as much as I can on this board. Thanks to everyone for their advice. With my last diabetic cat this board was a life saver and I made some life long friends.

6. Cattluvr49

Cattluvr49 New Member

Thx to Mel and the Furgang for suggesting that Young Again zero Carbs. I will look into it.

Purrs Barbara and Bogie

7. Cattluvr49

Cattluvr49 New Member

Thx to Mel and the Furgang for suggesting that Young Again zero Carbs. I will look into it.

Purrs Barbara and Bogie

8. Laura & Heffernan

Laura & Heffernan Member

If you email or call them, they send pretty generous samples. They have low carb dry kibble treats too! Only my diabetic likes the Young Again, which is good that I know I can leave a few tablespoons out and he'll graze when he wants.

9. Cattluvr49

Cattluvr49 New Member

My Bogie had pretty good numbers today. At + 4 hours, he was 117 and at + 11 he was 304. Still on N. Took him to a different vet yesterday and he said to continue with the N. We are using 4 units AM and PM. We had gone to 5 units but his peak BG (3+ 1/2 hours) was 95 and I felt that was a little lower than I felt comfortable with. I am so happy I am home testing.

10. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Can we get you started using our grid to record your glucose tests? It will help us give you better feedback. Instructions are here.

Understanding the spreadsheet/grid:

The colored headings at the top are the ranges of glucose values. They are color-coded to clue you in as to meaning.

Each day is 1 row. Each column stores different data for the day.

From left to right, you enter
    the Date in the first column
    the AMPS (morning pre-shot test) in the 2nd column
    the Units given (turquoise column)

Then, there are 11 columns labeled +1 through +11
    If you test at +5 (5 hours after the shot), you enter the test number in the +5 column
    If you test at +7 (7 hours after the shot), you enter the test number in the +7 column
    and so on.

Halfway across the page is the column for PMPS (evening pre-shot)
    To the right is another turquoise column for Units given at the evening shot.

There is second set of columns labeled +1 through +11
    If you snag a before bed test at +3, you enter the test number in the +3 column.

We separate day and night numbers like that because many cats go lower at night.

It is merely a grid for storing the info; no math required.

11. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Me, too! It makes the world of difference. I'd be in a home for the bewildered by now were it not for my trusty glucometer. :smile:

12. Cattluvr49

Cattluvr49 New Member

I placed my order today for the NO CARB CAT FOOD FROM YOUNG AMERICA. The lady from the company said that 85% of the cats that start on this product within 90 days of diagnosis end up no longer requiring insulin.I realize that she is selling a product, but she certainly sounded very nice, concerned and sincere. Getting Bogie to eat it is the next step. If I can transition him, I am cautiously optimistic that we can reduce or eliminate the insulin.They also sell no carb treats which several companies sell. She is throwing some in the order for me to try. She is also sending a flavor packet which she said she does not think I will need, but just in case. She also said that some people stop using the food after a year and attempt to reintroduce a dry food that contains carbs and within days the cats BG's are elevated. :smile:

BarbaraK and Bogie
    Humulin N

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.