Those helping Sprats get under Control...

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jenn & Sprats, Jan 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jenn & Sprats

Jenn & Sprats Member

I thought I should start a new thread since my first one was getting long...
    Arrived home to find Sprats eating FF. Unable to get blood reading. Should I try again or wait an hour or so. Reminder, this morning, was 513 after 1.5 units of Novulin last night. I have the U40 syringes and U100 insulin. This morning at 513 reading he ate and I gave him a guess of maybe .75 unit? Tuesday morning he was a 26!

2. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

When is he due for his next shot? You will want to try to get a reading at the very least right before then.

Also while using Humulin you want him to have food in his tummy so you will want him to eat somewhere around an hour to a half hour before he is due for more insulin.

Mel, Max & The Fur Gang

3. Jenn & Sprats

Jenn & Sprats Member

First, let me edit previously. I gave 2.5 units last night (one level on my u40 syringe). He is due now, although it's been hit and miss because of the jumps. Like Tuesday morning it was 26 so I did not give him his morning shot. I tested last night at 6 and it was 408 so I gave him the 2.5 then. This morning I guesstimate I gave .75 because it was just barely covering the top where the syringe bends.

4. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Itis confusing for us when you use times like 6:00. If you could tell us in terms of shot times and then hours from the shot. Like +3 is 3 hours after you gave the shot.

So do you mean it is now shot time but you don't have a number? If so, I would try to test again. Your kitty has had a lot of up and down numbers. You don't want to give a shot without knowing where he is. If you are having trouble testing, tell us what the problem is so we can give you some ideas.

5. Jenn & Sprats

Jenn & Sprats Member

Tested +2 after he ate and the number was 464. Gave .75 on U40 syringe.

6. MommaOfMuse

Basically until you have a spreadsheet up we write out the information like this:

AM PS (Morning preshot #)
    then +1
    +2
    +3 to denote how many hours after the shot was given.

PMPS (evening preshot #)

Since we literally have folks all over the world this is easier than trying to remember who is in which time zone.

Mel, Max & The Fur Gang

7. Sue and Oliver (GA)

That sounds like a safe dose. It would be good if you could get a number around 3-5 hours after the shot to see how low the insulin takes him. Every cat is different, but usually N hits about then.

Keeping track of these numbers and explaining what is going on is much easier with a spreadsheet: Setting up a spreadsheet It is color coded and will help you see patterns and help others see your history at a glance. If you need help setting it up, just ask.

8. Jenn & Sprats

Jenn & Sprats Member

9. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Look up in the corner of the page. In a minute, it will say you have a message. I can help.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hi, I can see your having a time of it. You asked for me to look in??
    I can try to see all your threads and see what's up.
    Sue is the person to get those SS up and running.
    Read your Pm, I replied just now.

11. Jenn & Sprats

Jenn & Sprats Member

THANK YOU SUE! :D

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

YAY!!!! good to see that spread sheet up.
    Sue you are the best!

13. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

I have never heard of syringes that 'bend'...so don't understand your statement about that.

If you can discuss here in terms of TRUE DOSE, and also put TRUE DOSE on your spread-sheet,
    it will help us help you. Some here reading for the first time may not know you are using
    U-40 syringes for U-100 insulin.

Since you have U-100 insulin but U-40 syringes ( Please get some U-100 syringes),
    here is a little chart:

0.5 units of U-100 x .4 = .2 unit-mark on U-40 syringe
    0.75 units of U-100 x .4 = .3 unit-mark on U-40 syringe
    1.0 units of U-100 x .4 = .4 unit-mark on U-40 syringe
    1.25 units of U-100 x .4 = .4 unit-mark on U-40 syringe
    1.5 units of U-100 x .4 = .6 unit-mark on U-40 syringe
    1.75 units of U-100 x .4 = .7 unit-mark on U-40 syringe
    2.0 units of U-100 x .4 = .8 unit-mark on U-40 syringe
    2.5 units of U-100 x .4 = 1.0 unit-mark on U-40 syringe
    3.0 units of U-100 x .4 = 1.2 unit mark on U-40 syringe
    3.5 units of U-100 x .4 = 1.4 unit-mark on U-40 syringe
    4.0 units of U-100 x .4 = 1.6 unit-mark on U-40 syringe
    4.5 units of U-100 x .4 = 1.8 unit-mark on U-40 syringe
    5.0 units of U-100 x .4 = 2.0 unit-mark on U-40 syringe

It is almost impossible to hit these marks on a U-40 syringe...not recommended at all.

The TRUE DOSE is the number of U-100 units on the left of the chart above.

14. Jenn & Sprats

Jenn & Sprats Member

FRUSTRATED THIS MORNING. I could not get a test. I wasted 3 strips and still could not get enough blood. Had to leave for work so I won't be able to try until PM.

15. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Let us know what was hard and maybe we can help for the next one.

Warming the ear can be vital - it certainly was for Oliver. Some people warm it enough that the veins stand out.

Put a tiny smear of vaseline where you are going to poke - it will help the blood bead up.

Milk the ear - starting from below where you poke, push up lightly.

Are your lancets 25-26 gauge? Some cats need to have that large of a gauge at first to get blood.

Do you have something behind the ear to poke against? Some people use the rice sack, or a folded kleenix. A small makeup sponge was just right for us.

We all have little tricks that helped us. If you ask for help, you will get lots of tips.

16. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

To maybe avoid wasting strips.

Prop the meter up in a little box, a small drinking glass, or whatever works.
    Put it within easy reach.

Put the strip into the meter---just barely---so it rests there but don't push it all the way
    in so the meter turns on. Works with some meters.

Now begin your poke procedure.

When you have enough blood, quickly reach over and push the strip in---turns the meter on.
    Then grab the now-ready meter and touch the strip to the blood drop.

A little hard to explain. This is one of those learning curve things with home testing.
    We've all been there. You'll eventually get it.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

which glucometer are you using and which syringes should be sent? i think this is worthy of a newbie donation if i have the materials.
    agree? have they already been ordered or ......

18. Jenn & Sprats

Jenn & Sprats Member

I am actually using my husband's One Touch Ultra meter. I assume it gives good readings for cats too?

19. MommaOfMuse

It works just fine for cats...its my back up meter for Max.

Mel, Max & The Fur Gang

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

hey you should be getting a crammed box in the mail in the next 2 or3 days.
    thank you karen and smokey...she is really looking out for you.
    i want to mention that the syringes are short needles. this could make it easier to not get all the insulin in, what we call a fur shot where some insulin ends up on the fur instead of inside the kitty.
    you must be very careful to get the needle inside your cat and shoot all the way before pulling out.
    you will get a meter that has less expensive strips..and i believe 50 strips..
    that little sock...that's for warming in the microwave and applying gently to kitty's ear and believe me, that and an ear massage will give you the blood you want. lancets, a lancet device, a catnip toy. a list of the really good links here.
    and before i end let me say some of the syringes have 1/2 unit marks and some don't. be aware. this all will be soooo much easier than using your u40 syringes.
    good luck!

21. Jenn & Sprats

Jenn & Sprats Member

Well, I pretty much feel like a failure today! I got home from work and tried to check, but failed. I warmed up a rice bag and he kept flipping his head around. I'd prick and his ear would fold over, not getting enough for a test. 3X! RRGH! He started to eat some that was left on the plate from this AM, so I went ahead and got him another can and let him eat. +1 I was finally able to get a test. 408. since it had been an hour I gave him 1.75 and logged on SS

22. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Some people like to use a small pill container to poke against. That way, you can smooth the ear out over the container and poke. Might help? Good for you getting a number. Don't give up. You will find the method that works for you and Sprats.

23. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

or a cotton ball. can i walk you thru on the phone, it's so much easier. you can pm me your # if you want. just for testing help that's all.

24. Jenn & Sprats

Jenn & Sprats Member

Got +1 first time! :) he was asleep so it made it easy and he didn't flail around. 495 should I worry that it is higher an hour after insulin?

25. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Good for you! It will get easier. I don't know what the number means. It may be a rise from the food, but it is just a single number. Try to think of this testing as data gathering. You are collecting information so you can see trends and patterns.

26. Jenn & Sprats

Jenn & Sprats Member

WOOOP! 1st try again +3 and it was 208!! Yippee :razz:

27. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Good for you!!! your really in the Vampire Club now...you may get hooked on this testing. Some of us do you know!

28. Jenn & Sprats

Jenn & Sprats Member

AMPS 494, fed and .5 hour later gave 1.5 dose N
    For some reason, I cannot update my spreadsheet from my work. I guess they have Google firewalled :?
    I got the reading on the first try again! :smile: fingers crossed that I am getting the hang of it.

29. MommaOfMuse

Make sure you are signed in to your google account before you try to update your spreadsheet, I had to learn that one the hard way. If you aren't signed in it won't let you update. Hope that helps.

And Congrats on becoming a card carrying member of the Vampire Club!

Mel, Max & The Fur Gang

30. Jenn & Sprats

Jenn & Sprats Member

Spoke too soon! Yesterday was good, but today not so much. I failed to get a test before he ate AM. I was able to 30 minutes later. 499, so I gave him 1.5 N
    Yesterday we had some 390 readings.

31. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

i hope you are giving sprats good luvins and treats and all even if you fail to get the test. he needs to know this is a 'good and fun' thing for him to do. plus a test 30 minutes after breadfast tells you nothing...better to wait an hour or better...2 hours.

32. Sue and Oliver (GA)

The reason your number may have been higher is that for an unregulated diabetic, food usually raises the bg levels. So taking a test after feeding will usually get you a higher number than you would have gotten before.

But glad you got a number! Don't give up - you are doing great.

33. Jenn & Sprats

Jenn & Sprats Member

Thannk You! Got my new syringes and newbie kit in the mail. Also the Lantus from Dale :) I didn't try it yet, need to read up on how to use it, since it is different, right? 185 PMPS, fed , +2 was 162

34. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Get some tests in tonight, okay? I am a little nervous about 2units at 185. It looks like you could have had a long duration from the shot this morning, with the possibility that that you had a low number in the middle of the cycle.

35. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

yes i as well am a little nervous at the 2u at 185 (is that right?)
    please do be sure to test you +4 and +6 for signs of going too low.
    and please do have some high carb at the ready ok.
    just in case, you can never be too careful.

36. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

i am wondering why the dose was increased for the lower #?
    is anyone giving any 'suggestions' on dosing sprats?
    he's had that one hypo already and some dosing 'suggestions' may be in order from some of the folks here.

37. judy and squamee(GA)

judy and squamee(GA) Well-Known Member

I like Sue's suggestion that you get some tests tonight. May I ask what made you decide to raise the dose? Just want to be sure we have all the information. Good job with the testing! It will continue to get easier.

38. Jenn & Sprats

Jenn & Sprats Member

If you have the U100 syringe with the needle pointed up, there are lines on both the left and right of the vertical line. The left is the .5 marks?

39. Sue and Oliver (GA)

40. Jenn & Sprats

Jenn & Sprats Member

I just got another one and it was 43! I messed up! He seems fine and I just gave him a can of Friskies chunks with gravy. He ate a 1/4 of it, which is normal with those big cans. So tomorrow, I should try 1 unit?

41. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Before we worry about your dose tomorrow, we will need to make sure he is safe tonight and comes up from 43. That is a hypo number. It is great he is showing no symptoms and feeding him gravy food is exactly the right thing to do. How many hours as it been since you gave the 2 units?

42. Jenn & Sprats

Jenn & Sprats Member

It has been +3.5

43. Sue and Oliver (GA)

3.5? Your spreadsheet says you got 162 at +2. Now you got 43 1.5 hours later?

44. Jenn & Sprats

Jenn & Sprats Member

Make that 4.5+

45. Jenn & Sprats

Jenn & Sprats Member

the 43 was +4.5

46. Sue and Oliver (GA)

The problem is that we aren't sure what his nadir (the lowest point in his cycle) is. The insulin may make him continue to drop for awhile, so you will need to take tests, watch him carefully and maybe intervene with syrup. I would like to get more eyes on this so you will have help if you need it.

Could you please start a new topic? Put the red 911 on it and have the topic "possible hypo". Explain you are using N and you are at 43 4.5 hours after shooting. Then I will post and put this thread on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.