Fly free, my sweet baby Shiloh

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Donna & Shiloh (GA), Feb 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Donna & Shiloh (GA)

Donna & Shiloh (GA) Member

My heart is very heavy today. I decided not to let Shiloh suffer any more. Thru years of a sporatic appetite and chronic pancreatitis, he always seemed to bounce back. Not so this time. He was very sick in Dec. and never seemed to really be himself again. His weight was dropping little by little. I had to give him stimulants to get him to eat.

His corneal ulcers appeared to be healing, but one wasn't. Last week he started getting drainage, and vet ordered eye drops and eye washes. Went for a recheck yesterday, and pus was filling up the inside of his eye. Vet said that even tho the outside healed, some infection was still inside, and got worse. But because he wasn't eating well and dropped a few more ounces, vet wanted to do another ultrasound. Today was that day.

Last night I told Shi if the US shows anything bad, I did not want him to suffer thru another bad pancreatitis attack like in Dec. I did not want him to stay just because of me. I couldn't sleep last night. The vet called me and said the US showed a worsening pancreas, possible cancer. They wanted to do a needle biopsy tomorrow. His eye looked very bad today, and they thought they might have to remove it. I said, no, nothing more. He has been thru 9 years of diabetes, sticks and pricks and feeding tubes and IVs and being in the scary hospital, no, I do not want him to go thru any more pain.

I talked to Shiloh about the Bridge, and how he would not be in pain anymore. How he could find McKaela and that they would get along better now, how he could run and play (hopefully he won't be afraid of the grass there!) and no more stickers.

The past 9 years have revolved around his insulin shots. I have no cats and no shots. It feels so strange.

He went very peacefully with me holding him and telling him how much I love him. The only thing I wish is that an animal communicator could prepare him, like I did for Kaely. I intend to send Jean an email now to see if she can contact him yet. Wouldn't I love to hear he is fine.

I do not see me going without cats for a long time. There are too many cats needing homes. I plan on adopting 2 cats that should be adopted together, but they have to be really nice, affectionate kitties.

Thanks to you all for your kind words and prayers thru out the years on Shiloh's behalf. We could not have made it without you! Donna

2. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry Donna. You did an amazing thing for your boy, taking away the pain. (((Donna)))

3. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh no, ohhhh no...(((((Donna))))) I'm so sorry but you did right by your boy. I am struggling with the same decision... Fly free sweet Shiloh this board just wont be the same without you.
    Tears,
    jeanne

4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I am very very saddened that Shiloh has went on. I remember him will from the days the my GreyGhost (GA) and Mario (GA) was still here.

5. Steph & Cuddles (GA)

Steph & Cuddles (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh no! I'm so sorry. :sad: He'll be missed by many.

(((HUGS))) & tears,
    -Steph

6. Melissa&Paul-Kyle

Melissa&Paul-Kyle Well-Known Member

Godspeed and Angelwings sweetest Shiloh....((((Donna))))

7. Pam and Layla

Pam and Layla Member

(((Donna)))

I'm so sorry.

Hugs,
    Pam & Layla

8. karen and splash (ga)

karen and splash (ga) Member

((((Donna)))) I'm so sorry it was time for Shiloh to leave you. Fly free sweet Shiloh, land softly.

9. Sophia

Sophia Well-Known Member

My heart goes out to you... it is so sad that we have lost Shiloh .. I have been on the board since July 2005 and remember Shiloh so well such a sweet kitty. He can never be replaced but there are many other kitties that need your help and love as you mentioned..... Shiloh will live in your heart forever.

10. Daphne and Jayne

Daphne and Jayne Member

Sending warm, sympathetic thoughts to you at the loss of your little angel, Shiloh. You and your kitty are both very brave.

11. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Oh Donna, my heart breaks for you. You and Shiloh went through so much together and what an awesome caregiver you were to him. I understand the emptiness you are feeling right now after all you two went through together and you have my deepest and most heartfelt sympathy. May all your precious memories help you through the "moments".

[​IMG]

12. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Oh Donna, I am so sorry :( Fly free sweet Shiloh!

13. patricia&princess(GA)

patricia&princess(GA) Member

wings_cat I'm so sorry Donna. Shiloh had a wonderful friend in you. Fly free, Shiloh- safe crossing. rb_icon

14. Susie and Moochie

Susie and Moochie Member

I'm so sorry to see this, (((Donna))). Shiloh and you fought hard and I'm sorry it was his time but glad he had you to give him this gift.

Run free, dear Shiloh.

15. Patticass & Tyler (GA)

Patticass & Tyler (GA) Member

I'm so sorry, Donna. Fly free, dear Shiloh. You were so loved.

Patti

16. JL and Chip

JL and Chip Well-Known Member

Donna, words escape me. I remember Shiloh having a feeding tube for months and how, when Charlie had to get one, I thought of you and Shi and thought that if you could do it , so could we. Your dedication and love for him were clear, and you proved it once again today. I'm so sorry. My thoughts are with you. Fly free, Shiloh, and give Charlie a headbutt for me ...

17. M L and Cleo (GA)

M L and Cleo (GA) Member

Donna, I'm so sorry to hear about Shiloh having to leave you. We will miss him.

18. LindaLee & Napoleon

LindaLee & Napoleon Member

My dearest Donna ~ I'm so sorry Shiloh has gone to be with Kaely. Shiloh was a fighter against every health problem that showed up. Your precious Shiloh only wanted to be with you.

Shiloh loved you so much, Donna! Everywhere you were, Shiloh wanted to be there.

My heart aches for you. (((((((Donna)))))))

Linda Lee

19. HollyandSpader(GA)

HollyandSpader(GA) Well-Known Member

Oh my!

I am so sorry. I am speechless.

He knows that he was loved. I know that Spader was also there to meet him so they could talk about us.

I am so sorry.

Also, I think it is wonderful that you want to adopt two kitties as a pair when the time is right. You'll know when it's time. After Spader passed away, I wan't ready to add a full time indoor buddy for Henry right away. He and I needed to mourn. About two months later, Henry and I just kind of looked at each other and knew that it was time t find the right buddy for him. I told the rescue group what we needed and they led me straight to Oliver.

You are in my thoughts.

20. Emmy & Dude

Emmy & Dude Well-Known Member

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Donna, my friend - I am so sorry to see this. Not our Shiloh gone now also. Another of our beloved long-time board kitties has had to say goodbye. I share your grief in the loss of your wonderful handsome boy.

What a wonderful gift you gave him - he doesn't have to go through any more pain or discomfort - I'm sure at this point, he's with McKaela. She and all the others who have left here ahead of him were waiting to comfort him - and he can now roam freely - young and pain-free. But the hole left by his leaving - in your heart and life - and here on the board - is huge and we all grieve with you.

I'm sending many many comforting prayers - and I do hope that with all the love and knowledge that you have to share, you definitely will find others to give love to - in Shi and Kaela's memory.

Sending many, many hugs to you, my friend.

Emmy & Dude (& Mittsi too)

21. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh NO!!!!!!!!!!!!! I dreaded this day and this post. ((((((((((((((((((((((((DONNA))))))))))))))))))))))))))) Many many tears falling here, heart heavy. Shiloh is the definition of FIGHTER. You both fought so hard for life. You did the only thing you could, letting him rest, and fly free. Merlyn will be on the lookout for him.

Shiloh is flying free now, whole and healthy over the Rainbow Bridge. rb_icon

wings_cat

The board has lost another BOARD CAT... one of the special ones.

22. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

My dearest Donna,

I am so, so, so very sorry... I remember when he ate on his own!

Wasn't it ham?

And, you were so astonished? We all were!

You and Shiloh have always been an inspiration to Giz and I... She was a tough eater, too... But, nothing like you and Shi...

Sometimes, there are no words when we lose a truly special one... They are all special and we all feel their mommy's and daddy's pain, please don't get me wrong.

But, then there's Shiloh and you, dearest Donna... Who, simply and wondrously and heroically define the best in us. On a great day!

I don't think there's enough return keys left...

Please accept my most heartfelt condolences and deepest sympathies, dearest Donna... It took many, many, many months, almost a year, before I met a spider in my shower who I named Charlotte... And, then, knew it was time for my aching heart to have room to love again...

A healing heart takes time to heal. But, the heart is such a wondrous organ... May your wondrous heart take time to heal... And, then, the loving memories flood your heart! There are so many wondrous, healing memories...

You have always been such a loving inspiration to us all!

Sigh... Heavy, heavy sigh...

Fly free, precious Shiloh! Soar high on your incredible wings! You will undoubtedly be greeted by a parade at The Bridge! And, please know how much you are loved! And, please, visit your mommy's dreams to let her know both you and she are okay now. She's going to need extra dream visits...

And, please, do keep your dance card open, as the furry girls are lining up to dance with you, handsome, wondrous furry prince! Okay, Giz might be a little pushy in line; but, boy, can she dance...

You're candle is bright! But, darling, boy, I'm lighting a fire for you tomorrow... It's my way of lighting a zillion candles at once...

There is not enough Kleenex in the world to deal with your loss, dearest Donna...

Much love and countless gentle hugs hoping you take good care of you, sweetie,
    Deb

Solace

From the silence of your pain I heard my name
    and on the wings of light I have come
    to see the sadness in your eyes
    that cry without tears.

Can you see me? I am here.

I will always be near you
    to calm your shattered heart
    and to make you smile at the memories.

Do you feel me, perhaps a soft brush of fur?

You ache to believe it's real
    but you are afraid to hope.

You brush away a strand of hair
    But it was I, whispering.....

I am only here for but a moment;
    The silver thread gently quivers.
    I will leave behind my love in a dream.

When you awaken, and without really knowing why
    Your heart will know at last
    That it is all right, for now
    to say good-bye.

Copyright © Lisa Carmel Singer Printed with permission

23. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

donna, i made the same decision for harry tuesday morning so i totally get it. it is so so hard even when you know it's the right thing to do. they own such a large piece of us, we will never be the same.
    fly high and free, shiloh, healthy and whole again.

24. JenElliot

JenElliot Member

I'm so sorry for your loss.

25. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for your loss. tears.
    Fly Free Beautiful Shiloh wings_cat

26. Diana&Tom

Diana&Tom Well-Known Member

dear donna i m so ver yverr y sorry for your loss. i totally understand how your heart aches. great love + great loss = great pain. these precious little babies give us so much, ask for so little , and we are bereft without them
    i understand too your comment about not being without a furry or two for long. i lasted exactly nine days after i lost my baby sophie last september before i got sapphire and i do not regret it for a second. she is so sweet and affectionate
    wishing you peace donna, come over to grief when you need to where we are all there for each other
    (((((donna)))))

diana x

27. Sonia & Tom (GA)

Sonia & Tom (GA) Well-Known Member

Donna, i am very sorry for your loss.

28. Dana & Thomas

Dana & Thomas Member

Godspeed Sweet Shiloh,
    (((Donna))),
    You did a brave and loving act in letting releasing Shiloh from his earthly pain.
    Prayers,
    Dana

29. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

(((((Donna))))) The day none of us wanted to see come. Your sorrow is deep, as is your love, for Shiloh. He will always hold that special place in your heart. Fly free, sweet Shiloh. wings_cat

30. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

(((Donna))) I am so very sorry. The love that you and Shiloh have for each other, it's been an inspiration. In time, when you're ready, two very lucky kitties will have the most purrfect home and that will be a tribute to Shiloh and to you. Fly free sweet (((Shiloh)))

31. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

(( Donna ))

I'm so sorry you had to let Shiloh go. As prepared as you may have been, we're never quite ready to say goodbye. I have no doubt you'll find a pair of kitties that need you as much as you need them. I hope you "hear" from Shiloh soon and that you'll find comfort in memories of happier times with him.

32. SherylandClouseau

SherylandClouseau Member

Fly Free Shiloh

(((Donna)))

Shiloh always reminded me of my own little warrior, Clouseau... His bravery and the fact that your love alone kept him going as long as he did is an inspiration to me and others with "special" kitties. He is in very good company at the bridge...

I know you will open your heart to more furbabies when the time is right, and they will be very very lucky to have you!

Sheryl & Clouseau (GA)

33. dian and wheezer

dian and wheezer Well-Known Member

oh donna, I am so sorry that it had to come to this. I know how much you loved your babies and how hard it is to make the decision. you and shi tried your utmost to stay together but it was not meant to be. God had other plans. I know you know that you gave the most special, selfless gift of love anyone can give. I feel your loss.
    hang in there my friend and do indeed get in touch with an AC. it does help with the loss and knowing you did the right thing. I did that for mr chubbs and it does make you feel better in that way at least. the loss will be great and I think other kitties will help with that loss. I know my guys pulled me through. did not make it any less but easier in some way KWIM?
    this was given to me at my loss. and I pass it on to you

So one last time, I breathe your scent,
    And through your hand I feel,
    The courage that's within you
    To now grant me this appeal.

Cut the leash that holds me here,
    Dear friend, and let me run,
    Once more a strong and steady cat,
    My pain and struggle done.

And don't despair my passing
    For I won't be far away,
    Forever here, within your heart
    And memory I'll stay.

I'll be there watching over you,
    Your ever faithful friend,
    And in your memories I'll run,
    . . . A young cat once again.

34. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

(((((((Donna))))))) so sorry about losing Shiloh -- know that he is now pain-free and happily greeting our friends who crossed the bridge before him. Fly free, ~~~~Shiloh~~~~!

35. Ele & Blackie (GA)

Ele & Blackie (GA) Well-Known Member

Donna, I am so sorry for your loss of Shiloh. You did so much to keep him healthy and happy, and by letting him go you gave him the ultimate gift. My heart goes out to you. I know that other cats won't replace Shiloh, but I hope you will adopt soon. :YMHUG:

Fly Free Shiloh! wings_cat

36. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

Donna, I'm so very sorry for your loss.

37. Gail & Houdini (GA)

Gail & Houdini (GA) Well-Known Member

((((((Donna)))))) I'm so sorry you had to let him go...there just comes a time when you have to do what's best for your babies no matter how heartbreaking. Please know I'm sharing your tears.....

Fly free sweet boy.....you have many sugarcat friends to play with

38. cjleo

cjleo Member

Donna, so sorry for your loss. But, you gave Shiloh a great gift - no more pain. (((Donna))) and Fly Free Shiloh.

Claudia

39. Jen and Oreo (GA)

Jen and Oreo (GA) Well-Known Member

(((Donna))), so sorry is was Shiloh's time.

Fly free Shiloh.

40. Jennifer and Porky

Jennifer and Porky Member

I'm so sorry for your loss...(tears)

41. Jennifer and Porky

Jennifer and Porky Member

I'm so sorry for your loss...(tears)

42. Helen & Snickers

Helen & Snickers Member

I'm so sorry for your loss. You gave him a wonderful life full of love!

43. Karen & dB (GA)

Karen & dB (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh Donna, I am so sorry! I know Shiloh could tell what you were telling him, and he was prepared. All the GAs are greeting him at the bridge. I know that he is bragging about how much you love him and how well you cared for him! In the end, you spared him more suffering and gave him the ultimate gift of unconditional love by taking his pain to be yours. He is now healthy and restored and waiting for the day you are reunited. I've been in that no-cats/no-shots situation, and it is really weird. Now you can take some time for yourself. We are all grieving with you. Shiloh will be sorely missed.

Tears,
    Karen, dB in spirit, Bindi, Dorje, and Little Girl

44. Kira & Twink

Kira & Twink Member

Oh Donna, I'm sorry! I'm sure you made him feel super happy and loved throughout his life. *Big over the net hug*

45. drjsiems

drjsiems Member

Donna,

I am so sorry about Shiloh and grieve with you.

Judy

46. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for your loss.

Shiloh will never be forgotten...he was a much-loved kitty and
    also loved you very much.

Wishing you comfort and peace with your decision. The ultimate gift
    for you to take his pain upon your self.

Fly free, sweet Shiloh.

47. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

(((((Donna))))) I'm so sorry for your loss of sweet Shiloh. rb_icon

48. Michelle and Doodle

Michelle and Doodle Member

I'm so so sorry (((Donna))) :(

49. Gina & Yittle (GA)

Gina & Yittle (GA) Member

I'm so very sorry for your loss.

50. Cheryl and Winnie

Cheryl and Winnie Well-Known Member

((( donna )))

so very sad to read this donna. you have my deepest condolences.

Safe Journey Shiloh wings_cat

51. Cheryl and Winnie

Cheryl and Winnie Well-Known Member

((( donna )))

so very sad to read this donna. you have my deepest condolences.

Safe Journey Shiloh wings_cat

52. tessielou

tessielou Member

Donna, I am a newbie, but I am deeply touched after reading your post and witnessing all the love on this forum for you and Shiloh.
    You and Shiloh are in my heart today, too.

Sandy and Tessie Lou

53. Victoria & Sundance

Victoria & Sundance Member

Oh, man, Donna... I'm so sorry to read this. My sincerest sympathies.

x

54. Sweetgrass & the Furries

Sweetgrass & the Furries Member

((((Donna))))) Shiloh was so special to so many as are you.
    sending love.

55. judy and squamee(GA)

judy and squamee(GA) Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for your loss. Having made the same decision 2 months ago, I know how painful it is to let go, and how much emptiness there is. I think it is good that you are thinking of adopting 2 cats - it's a tribute to your love.

56. Kris & Jane (GA)

Kris & Jane (GA) Member

Sweet Donna, I am so very, very sorry, and my heart aches for you.

Please don't fret about communicating with him -- no one knows that boy or loves him as well as you. And I truly believe that the strength of those bonds is tangible and real, and they can carry thoughts and words and love as surely as you can walk across a footbridge here on earth.

Listen to your heart, Donna, and Shiloh will tell you whatever you want to know. And I'd be willing to bet he's shining and radiant, running and happy, free of all his troubles -- and it's all because of your love.

You have given the greatest gift love can offer, and I hope and pray I am as brave and selfless as you when that time comes to my house. I know nothing can comfort you right now, but please know that I will never, ever forget your dedication to Shiloh.

57. Jayne & Sweety

Jayne & Sweety Member

I am so sorry for your loss.
    Him and Kaely are romping in the grass (bet he's not afraid of it there), chasing butterflies together now - until you meet again.
    May you sorrow be brief and the joy in Shiloh's memory be everlasting.

Fly freeeeee Shiloh!

58. KarenRamboConan

KarenRamboConan Senior Member Moderator

I am so, so sorry. Shiloh fought long and bravely- with you there, every step of the way- but even the strongest warrior eventually needs to rest. Rest well, sweet Shiloh - you have earned those wings.

My deepest sympathies. May the memories of the life and love you shared help heal your broken heart.

Poem For Cats

And God asked the feline spirit
    Are you ready to come home?
    Oh, yes, quite so, replied the precious soul
    And, as a cat, you know I am most able
    To decide anything for myself.

Are you coming then? asked God.
    Soon, replied the whiskered angel
    But I must come slowly
    For my human friends are troubled
    For you see, they need me, quite certainly.

But don't they understand? asked God
    That you'll never leave them?
    That your souls are intertwined. For all eternity?
    That nothing is created or destroyed?
    It just is....forever and ever and ever.

Eventually they will understand,
    Replied the glorious cat
    For I will whisper into their hearts
    That I am always with them
    I just am....forever and ever and ever.

Author Unknown​

59. Jill and Remi

Jill and Remi Member

((Donna)) I am so sorry to see that sweet Shiloh has passed. Fly free dear Shiloh, you will be missed!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.