New to this, diagnosed today, feeling overwhelmed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by klescinsky, Apr 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. klescinsky

klescinsky New Member

Hi my name is Kris, and my beloved Lois was diagnosed today. I'm riding the roller coaster of emotions right now, and trying to find a way forward. I'm so glad I found this board, and I wanted to take a few minutes and introduce ourselves, because I think we'll be spending quite a bit of time here.

First of all, I'm kicking myself a bit because I KNEW something was wrong. Lois has been withdrawn and listless for close to a month. But we were in the middle of a move and she's a very nervous creature by nature, so I chalked it up to that. After all, she got a clean bill of health from the vet a few months before (note no blood work that visit, but we had no reason to suspect) along with her two sisters. I was being cautious, planning for a move that ended up being delayed a bit and wanted to make sure everyone was ready to go. I wasn't focusing on Lois. She'll be 16 this summer, but has always been healthy. She'd gained some weight and was having some matting issues, but the vet was relieved since she's always tended to be underweight. I was worrying buckets over Casper, our frail 18 year old kitty with advanced kidney disease. Turns out she made the move like a champ other than a small freakout somewhere in South Carolina. My young Maine Coon is the rudest picture of good health, and plays/torments the little old ladies. We assumed that Lois was a little stressed because Nora (the Maine Coon) likes to pop out of places and surprise her sisters.

So Lois is the classic middle child. She is quiet, and keeps to herself. She jumps into bed as soon as I get out, rather than let a warm napping spot go unused. We have friends and family who have never seen her because she is so painfully shy. When it's just us home, she's much better and more social. Lois has always liked to drink a boatload of water. We called her the camel cat, but didn't suspect anything. She had dandruff when she got nervous, but were told that it is common in some cats. She has some stiffness in her back legs and back, but x-rays show a little arthritis, nothing surprising in a geriatric cat.

So we moved, for my husband's new job. We're 650 miles from my lifetime vet, an awesome man who I trust implicitly. We drove on St. Patrick's Day, and Lois was my faithful co-pilot in her new big cage, big enough that she could stretch out. Of course she was completely bombed on Xanax because she doesn't travel well, and we decided pharmaceuticals were the kindest way to go. In hindsight, I think she stayed in the exact same position for most of the trip. She only moved when we stopped and I took her out and made her eat and drink and walk around a little. By the time we arrived Lois couldn't straighten her back legs. She was in such obvious pain that I cried. The guilt is still killing me.

We called her Pittsburgh vet, and he gave us steroids to help get her walking. We had no clue that she was diabetic, and her blood tests were recent enough that we didn't suspect that we were hurting her more. (My family is full of human diabetics, so I probably come equipped to this battle with more background knowledge than many.) It seemed to help a bit, and she calmed down a little, but she's still not herself. So this morning I come downstairs and she is lying listlessly on the steps. I knew she needed prompt medical attention so I took her to Petsmart/Banfield - we're new to the area, and it's Sunday, so that was the best I could do. They did a physical exam, and ran bloodwork. Her serum glucose was 314. They wanted to do additional bloodwork and urinalysis, to the tune of another $450. Even the complete blood panel was seriously over-priced. I felt like I was in the presence of used car salesmen - they were so worried about their bottom line, and didn't care about my cat, and was totally overwhelmed, so I declined, insisted on a copy of her blood panel, and took the pain meds they gave her for her legs. My personal criteria for a good vet is one who talks to me, not at me, and can explain why they'd like to do a test in terms of what it gets my animal in terms of care or quality of life.

So we're out here, looking for answers, and also looking for a good vet northeast of Atlanta if anyone has suggestions we'd very much appreciate it. Thanks for listening, and sorry to be so long-winded about it.

2. Jana+BK+Chester(GA)+Wilbur

Jana+BK+Chester(GA)+Wilbur Member

Welcome, Kris!

First, and this part is very important, stop kicking yourself. You love Lois and did the very best you could for her. This is just another challenge, and one in which you will both succeed.

As for what to do for Lois...

Diet: Diabetic cats need to be on a low-carb diet of wet food. If you look here http://www.felinediabetes.com/diabetic-cat-diets.htm, you will find Janet & Binky's food chart. As you'll see, there are a number of brands of food (Fancy Feast, Friskie's, etc.) that have varieties that are low-carb. You can expect to see a drop in Lois' BG level just with a change in her diet...some here have reported as much as a 100 point drop.

Insulin: There are different insulins available for feline diabetes. Most of us use a gentler, longer-acting insulin like Lantus or Levemir. You can navigate to our ISG pages here http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewforum.php?f=5 and read about the various insulins and how they work. Although Lois hasn't started on insulin, this will give you a basis for discussing this issue with your vet.

Hometesting: Hometesting is encouraged, not only as a way to determine if adjustments to the insulin dose should be considered, but also as a way to determine if you should administer insulin at all. In addition, hometesting does help cut down on the vet bills in that you will be able to do your own "curves" and provide that information to the vet. To learn about hometesting, see here http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=287. To get you started, you can request what we call a "newbie kit," by checking here http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=19528.

Hopefully you will never have a hypo incident with Lois; however, they do happen and you need to be prepared. Please see here http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2354 and here http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1122 to learn about hypo's and what supplies you will need to have on hand.

I'm a long way from Atlanta, but I'm sure there are other who can provide information/resources for that area. I'll make a separate post asking others to look at your message and respond.

I know this is alot of information to read and take in. I also know how overwhelming this can be; believe me, we've all been there. Please post back with all your questions...we're here to help you help Lois.

3. Darlene & Jack

Darlene & Jack Member

Hi Kris and Lois,
    I just got on this roller coaster too. My Jack was just diagnosed on Friday and it is all very overwhelming. Jack had to stay at the hospital overnight and came home Saturday afternoon, and I started hometesting last night after reading so much of the information on here. And I am so glad I did. The good thing is, you came to the right place! This site is so full of excellent information and the folks on here really know how to help. They helped me through a difficult first night, staying up late with me waiting for test results even! So welcome and take advantage of all these folks who are so welcoming, friendly and knowledgeable. Hopefully this roller coaster will let us off soon, and I hope Lois feels better very soon!

4. scissorchik

scissorchik Member

Hi Kris!

I have a 9 year old 'Basil' who was diagnosed last Monday. Thankfully I found my way here and these people have been a godsend. It is confusing and emotional and overwhelming at times, but there is so much support here that you will feel more in control within days.

I too was not impressed with the vet's blood curve cost, or her distain over me feeding Basil Fancy feast. (which is one of the low carb options that he and his brother Monkey like) But after 4 days on insulin and eating properly, she told me to cut his insulin dose in half. What they are telling you is true-I saw an immediate difference in Basil and it mad me feel so much better.

Of course, the vet wants me to take him back to them on Friday for another curve test (where they test his blood-glucose levels multiple times throughout the day) which they like to charge me $92 for. I bit the bullet today and tried testing Basil's Bg at home, and truth be told it was way easier than I had thought.

As I am still a newbie here and learning myself what is best for my cat, I encourage you to ask as many questions as you can to feel comfortable about what Lois is going through. It is empowering to know that you can help your cat, and that you don't have to be at the mercy of veterinarians who are out to get you business and your money.

This board and these people have been amazing, and so many of them (including me) have been exactly where you are. It does get easier and you have all the support and encouragement you need.

One day at a time, Kris.

:)

Leanne

5. klescinsky

klescinsky New Member

Thanks so much guys. The warm welcome means the world.

I feel better know that there are so many others out there who have been down this path and are willing to help. I'll hit Wal-Mart tomorrow and get a meter and some strips. I need to find the videos tonight and study up and get up the nerve to do it myself. Looks like the signs of hypo in cats are much like those in a human. I've watched my dad battle it since I was a kid. Looks like those diabetes ed classes as a child, knowing the signs and how to test and give insulin or glucose are going to be applicable to Lois. I'm not worried about doing the shots. I know I can do that, and I know it doesn't hurt her. I am a little worried about pricking, and I know there will be tears and heartache until we get the routine down.

The good news is that we already feed Fancy Feast wet with bonito flakes as a garnish. I can't pull up the dry food because our elderly kitty needs to eat all the time. The good news is that Lois doesn't eat much of it, so I'm thinking it isn't as much of a worry. Am I wrong there? If I give her wet twice a day, I think she will totally ignore the kibble. Oh how to balance one cat who needs high protein and one who needs low, and one who is healthy and growing. I'll have to work on that.

My first priority is finding a new permanent vet. I will make calls tomorrow and see what I can find out. The good news is that I am in a major metropolitan area, and I have seen a dozen just out exploring. The hard thing is finding a good one who shares my philosophy about quality of life being paramount and is willing to be a partner in caring for our elderly girls with their serious health challenges. My blood boils when a vet says "oh, but they're old." Seriously, I hope I am around when they are old and someone denies them care and compassion because of their age.

6. dian and wheezer

dian and wheezer Well-Known Member

welcome Kris. Pgher here.
    sadly, even a little dry can throw kitty way off. easiest thing to do is feed all cats the same lo carb wet food. you can leave it out without fear of it going bad so your grazer can eat all day. you can also freeze some in ice cube trays and put that out too so it thaws slowly if you fear leaving out wet.
    you are gonna do just fine. breathe. get some low carb treats and even if you do not get blood the first time, give kitty a treat so she associates pricks with treats. makes it a lot easier.
    get the walmart relion, either the micro or confirm. uses smaller drops of blood and sips a lot faster.
    we are here for you. remember, there are no stupid questions.

7. hollyall

hollyall Well-Known Member

Just wanted to say hello. My cat Max was diagnosed in January and I was right where you are now. I'm sure you're already figuring out that you've come to the best place for help with your diabetic cat. I knew next to nothing at first and was overwhelmed and stressed. This forum and following the great advice/protocol really helped me turn Max's health around. My cat is really carb sensitive and even a little dry food made a difference for him, so if you can feed Lois separately, I would try for that. You've probably already been doing this, but read the FAQ's and the stickies (info pages) on the insulin forum pages, they will help you know what questions to ask when looking for a new vet (e.g. insulin they use, home testing, wet low carb diet, etc).

8. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

sounds like you've already done a lot to help lois! you've got the food information, connected here, are in the process of finding the vet . . . that's all so great.

my cat was diagnosed in december - he's not quite 13 now, and while there is a ton to learn, it does get easier very quickly. i think the hardest part is getting enough blood to test at the beginning. that gets better as the cat's ear will grow more capillaries where you have been poking. hang in there and persevere and it will pay off. ask for suggestions if you need help - everyone seems to have a bucket full of ideas to share!

looking forward to getting to know you!

9. LindaLee & Napoleon

LindaLee & Napoleon Member

Hey Kris ~

I'm in Marietta. :) My sugar kitty, Napoleon, and I have gone through several vets before we found one who shared my thoughts about treating diabetes... home testing, wet food, etc. I'll PM you my phone number & let you know my wonderful vet's info & some "expert" vets who aren't up-to-date on FD treatment.

I can also help you with home testing.

Hope to talk to you soon.
    Linda Lee

10. klescinsky

klescinsky New Member

You guys are amazing. Absolutely amazing. I spent hours last night reading, and feel equipped to question vets this morning. Thank you for that.

I felt so alone, being in a new city, far away from family and friends, and my beloved vet. Yes, my husband is here, and he will help and be utterly amazing at giving shots and testing, but Lois and I have been together twice as long as I've been married, so her care is my decision, and he will respect any decisions I make. I had actually started calling and interviewing vets last week, but was not at all impressed with what I found - I have 2 senior girls, and finding a vet who doesn't brush off an 18 yo CRF cat as a waste of time is hard. (She's been stable via strict diet for 3 years so phooey on them.) Now add the diabetes to the mix and it gets harder fast, because now I need a new vet today, and not just any vet will do.

Out of the woodwork pops Linda, who is close enough to help and whom I will gratefully call today. I just sat with Lois on the floor and told her that I've found out that her angel's name is Napoleon, and to hang in there because he's going to help me get her feeling better.

Lois' rear legs are seriously weak, and she's hesitant to walk at all. That scares the bejeezus out of me. I've been reading about B12 and think I need to talk to a vet about it today. Anything to get her some relief. We'll start hometesting today. Deep breath there.

11. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Hi Kris, and, of course, you too, sweet Lois,

Welcome to the place you never wanted to be; but, have already been blessed to find!

Linda Lee is an absolute doll! She will help you help Lois. You'll see...

As for Lois' neuropathy, it can be reversed. It just takes time... Starting insulin will help and do look into the Methyl B12 (Methylcobalamin). You don't need a scrip for it as I believe it's available at either drug or vitamin stores. Here's a most hopeful and informative link: http://www.laurieulrich.com/jasper/ regarding diabetic neuropathy...

So, dear Kris, read, read, read. Learn, learn, learn. Get that meter and start home testing. Lace up your toe shoes and welcome to the sugar dance!

Love and encouraging hugs for you both -- and Casper and Nora, too,
    Deb and Nikki -- and, Giz, forever dancing in my heart...

PS: There's no such thing as long-winded... I personally know this to be true... ;o)

12. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

Is this the kitty with CRF? Is he eating a prescription renal dry food? What stage of renal failure is he in? Unless he's late stage, it would actually benefit to transition him to quality protein wet diet. I had two cats, one diabetic and one with CRI, and I had them both on a wet diet. In fact, a wet diet could greatly benefit your CRF kitty because he will be more hydrated, and the best foods are the ones that require the kidneys to work less. Phosphorus content is what is important to watch out for with CRF/CRI cats.

The higher quality protein, the less the kidneys have to work. All proteins are not the same, so a dry food that has high protein content from plant based proteins is going to be not as good for your CRF cat than one with animal-based protein. Wet foods without byproducts are better for CRF cats than wet foods with byproducts, although a wet food with byprodcuts is still far better than dry. EVO 95% Venison and EVO 95% Beef are the best in terms of high quality protein/low carb/low phosphorus content. Other foods without byproducts that are good but still have acceptable phosphorus content are Wellness Turkey, Merrick's Cowboy Cookout and PetGuard Fish, Chicken and Liver. If you need a less expensive wet food, Friskies Special Diet Turkey and Giblets and Friskies Special Diet Salmon are both low carb/low phosphorus.

Wet food can be left for free-feeding just like dry food. If your cats are grazers, wet food can be left out for up to 12 hours, and up to 24 if you freeze it and let it slowly thaw. Adding water will also extend the life the food because it won't dry out as quickly. I had one cat (the diabetic) who needed strict portions because he had no "Full" button, and one cat who had to be fed tiny meals all day long because she didn't eat a lot at once. I bought autofeeders and froze portions of cat food and the feeders released the food at the appropriate times when I wasn't there.

13. klescinsky

klescinsky New Member

Yes, this the CRF kitty. Her thyroid is starting to fail a bit too, and she's always hungry, poor thing. I am going to try an auto-feeder with her and the Maine Coon. The 4 yo Maine Coon likes dry kibble. She doesn't eat more than a few bites of wet except when she seems to be in the mood. Such fickle creatures, yet they have thoroughly trained me to cater to their whims. None of them will eat Wellness even if I starved them. The like Fancy Feast, but no salmon please. Since that is their nightly wet food, I just gave Lois some this morning and blocked her access to dry kibble.

Her kidneys haven't failed at the predicted rate, and she's been almost stable for 3 years, controlled by diet. She eats very little kibble, because I cook for her, but it's there for when she gets hungry. She won't do raw, none of my girls will. With wet out all the time, she has no off switch, and will finish what's out there. I work from home these days, so I am here to observe and regulate all of these things. But I am convinced that the effort is worth it for her, because we'll celebrate her 18th birthday this summer. She's active, interested, and very vocal, and so alert and alive, if a bit stiff in the joints, which doesn't keep her off the kitchen table or counters. Right now she is napping in a sunny spot in the living room, but if I got up and headed to the kitchen she'd beat me to it and make her demands known.

I opened the window to see if that would get a reaction from Lois, and she's perked her ears up and is listening to the birds and all the noises, so that's a good sign.

I sent the blood results to my old vet and he looked at them. He is comfortable with the diagnosis of diabetes without additional testing, given her symptoms and numbers and agreed that I should hit Walmart and get a Relion meter and some strips and lancets and start home testing and build up data. So I will be done working soon, and will go find Walmart. I made myself a rice sockie at lunch today. I've been trying very hard not to hover over Lois all day, but it's hard. Keep peeking to see that she's OK. I put up the baby gate to keep her upstairs with me. Her sisters slink through the spindles of the steps, and come visit and mooch food, but she's well-trained to stay on her side of the gate.

Talked to a vet's office who really pushed the cat meter on me. I was unimpressed. I know they want to ensure their future revenue stream, but not through me.

14. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

If you could get all of your cats on a wet diet, then I think you'd have less of a headache with the food! Plus it's healthier for them. Maybe you could experiment with a few of the foods I suggested and see if there's one they all like? If they like the Fancy Feast, They'll probably like the Friskies because they are very similar.

Wellness is one of those foods that cats either love or hate! One of my cats would gobble it down like it was candy, and the other wouldn't touch the stuff.

I know exactly how you feel taking care of your 18 year old! I just lost my 16 year old to cancer and she was worth every moment of effort I spent taking care of her. Gabby also had CRI and on the wet, low phosphorus diet she remained stable for 3 years and her condition did not worsen (She was fed a combination of the EVO and the Friskies).

15. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome! I have been exactly where you are .. scared, nervous, unsure what to do .. but you found the right place and now you are making the right choice, home testing! It's so important .. I know you are going to find soooo much useful information on this site that you think your mind can't hold it all .. but it will always be there for you .. so take the time right now to breathe, and to give sweet lois some extra lovin's and cuddles .. I'm hopeful you will find the perfect vet to help you guys out .. Sometimes cat's can turn around in days or weeks and eventually not need insulin ... sometimes it takes months, even years for a kitty to go off insulin .. sometimes it never happens and that's ok too .. cause we are all walking this road together ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.