Bandit's picture

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Cheryl & Whiskers (GA), Apr 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cheryl & Whiskers (GA)

Cheryl & Whiskers (GA) Member

Our dog Bandit (my sisters), was just diagnosed with amelanotic melanoma. It is a malignent cancerous growth on the skin near the corner of his left eyelid. We got a new vet and I
    like him a lot (we weren't real happy with the last vets we had seen) and he is going to try to surgically remove it tomorrow.
    I don't know anything about this disease. We are still reeling from Witty's death. Anyway the little I have read said it can occur in both cats and dogs, if anyone has any advise or
    information about this type of cancer, We would really appreciate it. I'm at work and will check back when I get home later tonight.

2. Cheryl & Whiskers (GA)

Re: Amelanotic Melanoma for another of our pets more bad new

I'm home now. Bandit is such a sweetie.

We have experianced some troubling symptoms, but we were so involved with Witty's care.
    We took Bandit to our old vet in the fall of 2010. We were told the growth was benign and
    because he had kidney disease and somewhat elevated blood pressure, we should just leave it alone. That is exactly what we did. we trusted the vet.
    A month or so ago he howled early in the am, I put him on the bed with us and he shook violently for about 10 minutes, and them trembled for another 20 minutes or so. We called the old vet and he said pets with kidney disease could throw clots and we so we started asprin therapy. (1/4 low dose asprin 20mg daily).
    Just a few times recently he walked into the wall during the dark, and when we were leaving the vet on Thursday he walked into a glass wall, so I think it may be affecting his vision. (I am afraid this could now be nurological-spead to the brain?)
    I just don't know what to do. The new vet I found is a husband and wife vet team. Their clinic was owned by the husbands father. His father retired 10 years ago at age 71, so the clinic has been in the family for a long time. Other clients came in and I saw both the husband and wife vets hug clients, so I have the feeling that people really like them. The wife is a regular vet as well as a holistic vet (which is why I went there in the first place).
    I asked them what they do if pets need overnight care, and he said if they need Doctor care he often will take the pet home with him overnight :D . That made me feel really wonderful. I think we may have found a lifetime vet. I just hope it is not to late for Bandit. I could really just slug our old vet, what in god's name were they thinking. The new vet said you absolutley can not tell if a growth is begnin or cancerous just by looking at it.
    I going to try to think positively and keep my hopes up. I'll post tomorrow after the surgery (we bring him in at 8:30am), I dont have internet on my phone, so it will have to be after we get home, and let you know how it goes.

3. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Dearest Cheryl,

I wish I had either experience or insights to offer you, but I don't. I can promise to keep you and Bandit close in my heart and hopeful healing thoughts and prayers.

Hope is something we treasure and nourish, dearest Cheryl. Please don't spend any time with negative thoughts of slugging your old vet. Bandit has two new vets now...

Please let us know how it goes tomorrow.

Love and countless hopeful hugs for you and Bandit,
    Deb and Nikki -- and, Giz, forever dancing in my heart, and sharing catnip tea with Witty at The Bridge...

4. Donna & Shiloh (GA)

Donna & Shiloh (GA) Member

Cheryl, this is so sad, esp since the old vet said not to worry about it. You had no reason not to trust his word. Praying it will be treatable. Donna

5. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

No experience here but sending many prayers this is treatable.
    jeanne

6. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

I don't know anything about this, but will be keeping you all in my prayers, please keep us posted after the surgery.

7. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

They may be able to determine if there are any metastases to the brain by doing an x-ray. If there are, that could account for neurological effects such as blindness. If there are metastases, you are looking at a more advanced stage of cancer and sometimes those move fast.

If you can swing it, get a pathology done on the specimen to confirm exactly what kind of tumor it is. There are many and you can't always diagnose by looking at the gross level; the cellular level is needed.

My civvie cat, Tux, is prone to basal carcinomas, which may look fleshy and hairless; she's had surgery twice on her lower left eyelid for what turned out to be the same thing both times. Basal cell carcinoma on the skin may be completely excised for a cure, but the area is prone to developing another one, hence her 2nd surgery.

Also have the blood pressure checked; high BP may cause vision problems.

8. Harley and Pattie

Harley and Pattie Well-Known Member

Dear Cheryl,
    I just saw this post and my heart dropped. You are most certainly in my prayers as is Bandit. I think of you often and what you went through with Whiskers.

Pattie

9. Cheryl & Whiskers (GA)

Hello everyone,

Thank you so much for you well wishes, we sure appreciate it. I just can't believe this is
    happening again, it is like a bad nightmare.

But enough. The very very good news is the surgery is done and Bandit did just great. The vet says he is adorable :D . Dr. Skadron removed all (every little bit) of the visable growth.
    He is going to do a chest x-ray to see if it may have spread. (I asked about spreading to the brain, because of the one instant of tremors) and he said he really did not feel it was related. So we still could still use prayers. The vet said he infused the entire site with medication so Bandit will be pain free. He was monitored closely because of his age and his BP, He was not all the way under anesthesia, but I feel the vet is very experianced, as he said there really are not very many people at all that he would trust to do what was done today. The vet is going to keep Bandit overnight. He will check on him late and even take him home if he feels he needs it. Right now he said Bandit looks just great, and at this point he won't lose the eye :RAHCAT.
    The vet said that the diagnosis is Amelanotic Melonoma (which if I understand correctly is
    a form of skin cancer). If it were to return at that the same location it would only be because there were microscopic cells left behind (cross our finger and pray not). I would like this to be done. But we don't always get what we like. I will keep hoping.

I may have mentioned, this clinic originally belonged to our vets father who retired 10 years ago at age 71, so I would imagine the clinic has be around for 30 or 40 years, so I am thinking they must have lots of experiance. ((((yeah)))). I want to compliment Bandit (and our other pets) with the holistic care they also offer there.

I'll call later today to check in, but I have a good feeling for now, maybe we will catch a break.

Have a wonderful day, and thank you all so much.

10. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Yes, it is a cancer; it means melanoma without pigment.

Did he determine the diagnosis by looking at the cells under a high-powered microscope?

11. Cheryl & Whiskers (GA)

Hi BJM,

Our vet did a biopsy on Thursday and sent it out to the lab for diagnositics. He also sent all of the remaining mass (from the surgical removal today) to a differant lab. He said to see if they tell
    us anything different. I'll post the results when we find out. It is kinda strange not having another pet in the house, but they are keeping him overnight. I'm looking forward to picking him up tomorrow. :YMHUG:

12. Cheryl & Whiskers (GA)

Good Morning,

We are going to pick up Bandit from the vet in a few minutes. If you can pray for us, that the melenoma has not mestastesized.

13. Harley and Pattie

Bandit is in my prayers. I do pray that the melenoma has not mestastesized and he is on the road to recovery.

Pattie

14. Cheryl & Whiskers (GA)

Very good news for Bandit!!!!

We picked Bandit up from the vet today. He is doing very well. The best news is that the x-rays indicate the cancer has not spread. dancing_cat o:) dancing_cat o:) . As the vet said yesterday the surgical removal of the amelonotic melonoma from his right eye, went extremely well. All visible growth was removed and the eye looks just great. His blood pressure was very good between 120 and 130, so the vet is very pleased with that. As far as Bandit having trouble ocassionally bumping into a wall in the dark, is just due to his age (he is 14 years old). The vet says Pomeranians can live between 14 to18 or 20years, and he said his overall health is excellent and expects he could well have more years with us. Only one of his kidney values is a bit high, which was his BUN (I'll post the actual number when I get home from work tonight, I'll also post his picture tonight, he is such a cutie). All his other kidney values are within normal ranges. I'm going to speak with his wife the holistic vet about things we can do to help improve kidney function. I also recently read about a cancer diet for dogs, so I will ask about that as well.

I hope everyone has a great night, and thank you so much for your continued support.

15. jt and trouble (GA)

Re: Very good new for Bandit!!!!!

Keeping Bandit in my prayers. Cant wait to see his picture.
    j.

16. jt and trouble (GA)

Keeping Bandit in my prayers. Cant wait to see his picture.
    j.

Oops sorry double post...Aww heck double prayers... ;-)

17. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Hallelujah on the no obvious spread! That makes it likely to be a stage 1 or 2, where excision may be curative, or a long time before it shows up again from seedlings.

18. MJ+Donovan

MJ+Donovan Well-Known Member

I am so SO happy for you. You deserve some happiness!

MJ&Donovan&Butthead

19. Karrie and Maverick

Karrie and Maverick Well-Known Member

WOOOOOHOOOOOOOO I feel like getting up and dancing!!!! (DH is sleeping so he wouldn't appreciate that). I'm just so happy for you Cheryl. Your heart must be bursting!!!!

20. Lauren&Tommy (GA)

Lauren&Tommy (GA) Well-Known Member

I'll do the dance for you Karrie, My husband is still at work! ;-)
    Kicking up some dust and doing the Yahooooooooooo Dance.. dancing_cat (insert dog ) dancing_cat(insert dog) dancing_cat Yeah for Good news.. LL prayers still going strong for a quick recovery and another 6 happy years Bandit!! I'm so happy to hear that he's doing so well.. Can't wait to see the pics.. Bring 'em on!!
    Have a good night.
    Squirrel & Tommy

21. Christie & Willie (GA)

Christie & Willie (GA) Well-Known Member

Such wonderful news, Cheryl!!! ((hug)) Couldn't be more excited for you and Bandit! Continued thoughts and prayers for that nasty cancer to just stay away!!!

22. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Cheryl, this is wonderful news, well deserved! We will continue to think healing thoughts for Bandit that he may have a speedy recovery from the surgery and that you will find the diet for him that will help him stay healed. We are just so very happy for you.

Many hugs,

Ella & Rusty

23. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

Cheryl, I am so happy for you and Bandit! What wonderful news! I am wishing him a speedy recovery.

24. Cheryl & Whiskers (GA)

Thank you all. And BJM I forgot to post earlier, I did ask the vet what stage cancer it was and he said it wasn't at a stage yet, so pre stage 1 I guess, pretty technical jargon when he was talking, but yes I think you are right and it was slow growing enough that it was still in a very early stage.

Again Thank you all for praying for us, and for your good wishes. We love you all. :mrgreen:

25. MauiGuppy

MauiGuppy Well-Known Member

So happy to read that the surgery went well! Sending happy vibes for a speedy recovery!

26. Georgia and Simon (GA)

Georgia and Simon (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm so happy that Bandit is doing so well. You have been through so much and it must be such a relief to get the good news. Sending continued prayers for a speedy recovery and healing.

27. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA) Well-Known Member

Glad that things are looking brighter today:)
    I'm very happy for you, Cheryl and will be keeping my ..everything crossed for you and Bandit !

28. Cheryl & Whiskers (GA)

Re: Very good news for Bandit!!!!! His BUN and picture too

Hi,

Bandit does have kidney disease. He leaks protien from his kidneys, (our old vet told us he had a form of kidney disease called Glomerulonephritis). Our new vet told us you can not tell if he had Glomerulonephritis unless you biopsied the kidney, which the old vet did not do. Anyway he does have kidney issues. As reported earlier all his kidney values are normal except this Bun which is 41 high (normal is 7-27mg/dl). If anyone has insight to kidney disease and if there is a way to try to supplement thru nutrition or vitamins etc, please let us know.

Here is a picture of Bandit. He is a purebreed blue pomeranian.

Ok I tried and tried and it won't let me submit add the file photo of him. I'll check with my friend Michelle and Peeps, maybe they can help me.

29. tessielou

tessielou Member

Cheryl, I just now read your post about Bandit. Sorry I'm so slow to find out, but what a great outcome! I'm so happy for you. You certainly deserve a break. I also think the new vet(s) sound fantastic and very nurturing. Yay!

30. tessielou

tessielou Member

Cherly, I think we were posting at the same time. I couldn't see the link for the picture?

31. Cheryl & Whiskers (GA)

Hi Sandy,

Thank you so much. The link for the photo won't take. I'm gonna try again tomorrow.

How is Tessie Lou doing? Better I hope cat_pet_icon

32. Cheryl & Whiskers (GA)

Re: Very good news for Bandit!!!!! and his BUN number.

Here is Bandits picture. Michelle and Peeps resized to so I could attach it here.

Have a great day.

Attached Files:

33. Harley and Pattie

What a cute baby....Glad things have turned around.

Pattie

34. Cheryl & Whiskers (GA)

Hi Pattie,

Thank you he is a sweetie, and things are better now. Cross fingers, toes and paws.

You and Harley had such a tough day yesterday. I hope he is feeling much better now and you as well.

35. Donna & Shiloh (GA)

Donna & Shiloh (GA) Member

what a sweet dog. i am glad she is doing well. Donna

36. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA) Well-Known Member

awwww he's adorable. So glad he seems to be doing better. :D

37. Karrie and Maverick

Karrie and Maverick Well-Known Member

OMG he is the cutest dog I have ever seen in my entire life!!!!!!

Cheryl - there is a phenominal kidney group for dogs online. ITs called the K9KIDNEY DIET group. Even though its a diet group they help with all things kidney. They are like LL - very strict in their protocol. You need to fill out a questionairre and also upload a spreadsheet based on their template with lab results. But you will get very very good advice. Here is the yahoo link: http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/K9KidneyDiet/

Nike's lab results were high also. They talk about binders and subq's but especially diet - to help keep phosphourous low and balance with calcium. Nike's high kidney numbers were due to infection. That's a very long story. But Nike is on extremely high level doses of diuretic for her heart disease which really wears her kidneys out.

Sending hugs.

Karrie

38. Cheryl & Whiskers (GA)

Hi Karrie,

Thank you so much. I will definatly check out the kidney group you have recomended (with the link).

I hope you, your DH and your furbaby familty are doing great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.