08/07/2011 Spitzer @ emergency vet & staying overnight - UPDATE

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by BJM, Aug 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Went down to do the morning tea and Spitzer's glucose was actually good - AMPS of 158. Put down new food and gave him his insulin. Then, as I went towards the living room, I encountered vomit everywhere (well ... it seemed like everywhere). The culprit was quickly identified as Spitzer when I saw him hurl breakfast right back up. I gave him the metronidazole per the vet's instructions.

I went upstairs to get ready for a rescue transport, which was cancelled about 5 minutes before I was going to leave.

Just as well, because when I came downstairs for lunch, Spitzer hurled again and howled like he was in major pain. I tested his glucose - his +4 was 84. Checked with emergency vet & they said to bring him in. He's been having issues with inappetance and I was concerned he was heading for a hypo from the inability to keep his food down.

So far, he's slightly dehydrated from all the vomiting, has an elevated heart rate > 200 beats per minute with mild murmur, and slightly elevated liver function tests (as he had 3-4 weeks ago). They've got him on an IV to rehydrate him and said his glucose has risen up to 153. If he eats, he'll need insulin - doc said they'll use a small dose of R if he does. Plan on doing an ultrasound in the morning. So far, no obvious masses are palpable and his pancreatitis test 3 weeks ago was negative (middle of low 3rd of whole range)

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  2. Marcy & Klinger (GA)

Marcy & Klinger (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: 08/07 Spitzer @ emergency vet & staying overnight

Sending healing thoughts to Spitzer. cat_pet_icon

3. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Healing vines going to Spitzer. I hope he comes home feeling a lot better, tomorrow.

4. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Dearest BJ, and, of course, you, too, worrisome Spitzer,

I hate it when they hurl. It's hairball season here...

Please know my hopeful, healing, hungry thoughts and prayers are with you and your darling Spitzer. Please update us when you can, okay, BJ?

Much love and countless hopeful, healing, hungry hugs,
    Deb and Nikki (eat, spitzer, eat!) -- and, Giz, forever dancing in my heart...

5. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

Dear Spitzer, get well!

6. Charliemeow

Charliemeow Well-Known Member

I hope they figure out what's got Spitzer feeling so lousy and that he's feeling better soon!

7. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Re: 08/07 Spitzer @ emergency vet & staying overnight - UPDA

Just spoke with day vet. The will do a urinalysis and culture, plus abdominal ultrasound today.

He also thinks Spitzer may be getting too much insulin, ie Somogyi. He wants to let him go high for a while, then start back at 1/4 - 1/2 unit (back where he was pre-insulin overdose in Nov/Dec, when my friend misread syringes in new packaging and gave him 10 units instead of 1 unit and Spitzer landed in the hospital for a day) He wants to do this at the hospital where he can be monitored, in case of ketones, etc.

I would take time off and care for him at home, only I've some medical crap going on too and won't be available to do all the necessary monitoring. Plus, I can't stay up all night with this @#$% sleep disorder.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  8. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Dearest BJ,

Thank you for the update.

Spitzer's in good hands and is being well cared for. Now, you take care of you.

Much love and countless hopeful, healing, hungry hugs,
    Deb and Nikki -- and, Giz, forever dancing in my heart...

9. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Hi BJM,

I just seeing your news now, im so sorry Spitzer has been sick, poor kitty!
    Sending u healing vines-for both of u! Hope u get good news soon!

10. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

It's okay not to do all the necessary monitoring, I have a multiple broken neck with nerve injuries affecting my arms and hands, so I can't monitor Simba with blood tests every day (I'm also on heavy pain medications), but I draw from all our past experience instead since 2006 and with all different dosages and all the thousands of testings we've done, and feel that he is "pretty" (knock on wood) safe on the 2 U we now have, since he eats a lot of m/d food too and Gustavs renal food. You will find your way to work around it all at home. Hugs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.