Fancy Feast Canned Cat Food

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by strawberry gal, Mar 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. strawberry gal

strawberry gal New Member

I've never posted here before, I'm a new member. I've been reading about the fact that a low carbohydrate,
    high protein, wet diet is better for diabetic cats. In the article I read, it stated that certain varieties of Fancy
    Feast are better than others. I'm wondering which varieties of Fancy Feast are best for diabetic cats and
    if you know, why are they better ? Are there also other wet cat variety brands that are good for diabetic
    cats ? Our cat has been newly diagnosed as having diabetes and we've been feeding him a dry diet.

2. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome to you and your extra sweet kitty!

Not sure where you are but if you're in the US, the fancy feast you want are the 'Classics' - those are the pates. The ones that are 'grilled', 'chunks', and gravy are high carb. There are some of the 'flaked' that are low carb such as Fish and Shrimp flaked.

Janet and Binky put together a list of the carb amounts - I'll find it and post it here for you!

BIG HUG,

Here ya go: http://binkyspage.tripod.com/canfood.html

3. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

There's also this list of low carb gluten-free Fancy Feast: http://www.felinediabetes.com/glutenfree.htm

On the Binky's link, which Squeaky posted, the regular Fancy Feast varieties are on the "old" chart. Look for the ones that have a number 10 or less in the carb column. Stay away from the gravy ones because they are too high in carbs but do keep a few cans to use in case your cat hypos. The high carbs will raise blood glucose levels. The Fancy Feast Elegant Medleys are a bit too high for a diabetic cat to have. Those are listed on the "new" chart.

There are many other brands of foods you can feed, not just Fancy Feast :smile: Fancy Feast is a well known brand and is available everywhere so that is why it is often mentioned. Use Binky's chart and this other one for other suitables foods. Again, stick with foods that have a number 10 or less in the carb column. Some poular brands people here feed are Wellness, Innova EVO, Merrick, Special Kitty, Friskies, 9 Lives, and Nature's Variety Instinct. Feed your cat whatever he likes to eat, you can afford, and can find in the stores :smile:

And don't forget the treats :smile: Here's a list of popular low carb treats for diabetic cats: http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9172

Is your cat getting insulin right now? If so, changing the diet from dry food to canned food can have a big impact on blood glucose levels. Some cats can drop over 100 "points" just from a diet change and almost always needs a reduced insulin dose, or in the case of some cats, no insulin at all. I would not change the diet just yet if you are giving insulin. Home blood glucose testing is needed to prevent your cat from hypoing.

We'd love to know more about your diabetic cat :smile: Please post so we can get to know you better :smile:

4. Grayson & Lu

Grayson & Lu Well-Known Member

Welcome!

I"m not real creative sometimes, so I stick with a handful of varieties of Fancy Feast which Grayson has eaten happily. Fancy Feast Classic Chicken, Classic Turkey & Giblets seem to agree with him. Beef, not so much. I try to stay in the 4 or less carbs also. Some people have a significant change based on their food. FF Ocean Whitefish is 0 carb - I use these on a limited basis for treats and when doing curves. Fortunately, my regular foods come in 12- and 24-packs at Walmart and PetSmart, so that's handier than 30 cans rolling around your grocery cart!

I also try to stick w/ one variety for a couple of cycles, and note the food time, quantity and variety on his spreadsheet. That way, I can see if the food spike is typically 30 points and lingers 3-4 hours. You're comparing apples to apples instead of apples to cheese - and it helps to see how they respond to whatever food you choose.

And of course, the kitty gets a vote too, cuz if he's not gonna eat it, it makes no difference what the carb count is! Good luck finding food that works for both of you.

BTW - If you have other cats in the house that are NOT changing to wet, LOCK IT UP well!!! Grayson could smell Kitt-N-Kaboodle through 3 doors and multiple containers! He even figured out how to open Tupperware... if he could get to it, he'd eat it - thus some of the red numbers in my SS. He was a master at finding it!

Good luck and Welcome!

Lu-Ann

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.