Mixing Carb Level Foods - seeking input

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Teresa and Poopy, Oct 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teresa and Poopy

Teresa and Poopy Well-Known Member

Does anyone know what, if anything, happens to carb levels when mixing foods? For example, if I mix a can of 0% carbs with a can of 9% carbs and offer the mixed cans to my kitties...am I serving 9% carbs? 4.5% carbs?

Logic tells me I would be serving 4.5% carbs but I've learned there isn't much about FD that's logical. ohmygod_smile

2. Karen & Angus(GA)

Karen & Angus(GA) Member

The carb content will be somewhere between the two. It is not quite as easy as averaging the two percentages, because the cans likely have differing amounts of calories. So, the way to determine the % calories from carbs for a mix of two foods is:

% carbs in food A x calories in food A = calories from carbs in food A
    % carbs in food B x calories in food B = calories from carbs in food B

% carbs of mix = (calories from carbs in food A + calories from carbs in food B) / (calories in food A + calories in food B) X 100

For example, if you mix a can of food that is 4.5% carbs and 100 calories with a can of food that is 9% carbs and 80 calories:

4.5% x 100 calories = 4.5 calories from carbs
    9% x 80 calories = 7.2 calories from carbs

(4.5 + 7.2) / (100 + 80) x 100 = 11.7/180 x 100 = 6.5% carbs

Second example, if you mix a can of food that is 0% carbs and 120 calories with a can of food that is 9% carbs and 80 calories:

0% x 120 = 0 calories from carbs
    9% x 80 calories = 7.2 calories from carbs

(0 + 7.2) / (120 + 80) x 100 = 7.2/200 x 100 = 3.6% carbs

3. Teresa and Poopy

Teresa and Poopy Well-Known Member

Fantastic information! Thank you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.