New members/ Lynn and Kitten

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lynn, Dec 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lynn

Lynn New Member

My cat almost died this week of DKA. She is on insulin twice daily and I am concerned about how to monitor her bloodsugar levels at home. The vet said urine tests are really no good. Also, she gave me DM food.
    Lynn and Kitten

2. Patty & Tiger

Patty & Tiger Member

Welcome to the FDMB. Tiger was diagnosed about 2 1/2 weeks ago and if it wasn't for this board I don't know what I would have done. The people on here are very knowledgeable. A few questions they will ask in order to help you are 1. What insulin is kitty on and 2. Are you going to home test (this is advised). Since I am new with all of this I can only offer support :smile:

3. Michelle & Dusty

Michelle & Dusty Member

Welcome! I, too, am a newbie to all of this and so have more support than wisdom to share, but I want to let you know it gets easier. Home testing seems daunting but, at least for most, becomes routine fairly quickly. For me, at least, testing is by far easier than injecting the insulin. Because I give Dusty treats, she's starting to associate the tests with delicious chicken and so sits quite well as I draw the blood and test it. I've now been doing this for just a week and already it takes about a minute to test. Which is just to say that it's very doable. (And, because you can use human glucometers and test strips, it's also reasonably affordable.)

I'm sorry that your kitten has diabetes and that you had to discover it in such a horrible fashion. Know that it gets easier and that there are a whole lot of smart, caring people on this board who are eager to help.

4. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to FDMB.

Testing your cat's blood glucose levels before every shot is the best way to monitor how your cat's insulin is working and if a dose change is needed. It will also help you prevent hypoglycemia and DKA.

All you need is a human glucose test meter, test strips for the meter and lancets. Also have some low carb treats to reward your cat after testing. If you look at your cat's ears, you will see a small vein that runs around the edge. Using the lancet, you will poke between the vein and the outer edge of the ear to get a drop of blood to test the glucose with the meter. The first few times you probably will not be successful, but don't worry, that is normal. Sometimes the ears need to learn to bleed. :mrgreen:

After testing, even if you are not successful, reward your cat with a low carb treat. Soon your cat may be begging to be tested. :lol:

You want to test before every shot so you will know if it is safe to give insulin. For newbies, we recommend using a BG reading of 200 or less as your "don't shoot" number. As you become familiar with how your cat responds to the insulin dose, you will be able to adjust it.

5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome.

Your vet is not entirely correct.
    Until you get going with home glucose testing, urine testing for ketones and glucose can be helpful, although not perfect, tools for monitoring. Ketone testing, since she already has had DKA, is especially important.

Please see my signature link Secondary Monitoring Tools for a number of ways to make observations that will clue you in on her diabetes control. (Again, not perfect, but important clues)

What insulin are you on and how was the dose decided? 2 units every 12 hours seems high - how much does this kitty weigh?

Please make no food changes until we know that, as changing to an over the counter low carb food can drop the glucose readings 100 points. Without testing you won't be able to see that and hypoglycemia kills.

6. Is the food Purina DM? And is it canned?
    Carl

7. Karrie and Maverick

Karrie and Maverick Well-Known Member

Hi Lynn,

I am glad you joined and posted. Lynn is a member of FAF and is overwhelmed with the new feeding tube. I have really pushed her to join and start home testing. With a DKA recovery I know she will need a lot of handholding from the great people here on FD. The FAF team will help with assist feeding/tube help. They are not diabetes experts and she really needs expert help.

Lynn I will share this video on FAF also but here is something that will show you how easy home testing is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zE12-4fVn8 This is all your vet does when you send him there for a day to get a curve. He does 5 or 6 ear pricks and charges you for what you can do at home. I don't think you should send Kitten for a curve at the vets.

You can subscribe to a topic that emails you when a post comes through. Does anyone know if you can reply via email?

I guess Kitten's diabetes was prednisone induced also.

I consider myself blessed that I found this group the week Maverick was diagnosed with diabetes. Thank you guys.

8. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Hi Lynn and Kitten, and Welcome to the best place you never wanted to be.

The folks here will help to guide you with your diabetes questions. The cummulative knowledge here is amazing.
    Any questions you have about diabetes, just ask. I know it's scary. My cat was hospitalized with DKA for 8 and 1/2 days back, right around this time of year, right before Christmas, in 2005, and he came home on New Year's Eve with a feeding tube that to me was oh so hard to figure out and I was so exhausted and so scared and all I thought about night and day was my cat. I remember waking up every half hour to check on him. Well, soon enough he dispensed with that feeding tube and was back to eating on his own, and I learned a lot from this board in the years we've been here.
    You'll find a caring family type of atmosphere here. I hope you will continue to post and ask your questions and we will be here night and day to help you and support you.

9. Karrie and Maverick

Karrie and Maverick Well-Known Member

Lynn is still having trouble logging in. The webmaster is aware and I think is trying to help her. She will need handholding. No ketones in urine today. High glucose with the urine test stick. She is getting the hang of the feeding tube. Still at way too low calories for DKA recovery though but is now getting food in through the tube. Kitten is being weened of Prednisone also. Not sure what type of insulin or how much/often. I let her know I used the Relion Confirm meter and strips - very affordable. Keep an eye out for her guys.

10. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Okay, we'll keep an eye out for her. Yay!!! for no ketones!!!

Can she get MaxCal where she lives? Sending eating well vines to Kitten.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.