I'm new here and really need your help/ advice!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by KolbiesMom40, Jan 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KolbiesMom40

KolbiesMom40 New Member

Hi everyone!

I am so happy to have found this page when searching the Internet. I am so afraid right now and also so alone. My 8 year old male cat Kolbie just had blood work done and one of the major possibilities that it could be is diabetes. The other things the VET mentioned before the blood work were possibly....liver disease, kidney disease or hyperthyroidism. Kolbie is overweight and has been drinking so much water and urinating way more than he usually does. So I know thirst and having to pee are two signs of diabetes. The other thing is that Kolbie has been so hungry. He screams for food at all times. He wakes me up after 2 hours of going to bed. He just is never satisfied. I am not sure if that sounds like diabetes or not??? I know this might sound crazy....but out of all 4 things, I would prefer for him to have diabetes if he MUST have something. I have read it is treatable and I read that as soon as I came here. That gave me some hope. ( I forgot to mention that Kolbie lost a little weight even though he has been eating so much food. I was shocked at this. )

A little background about him... He has had to deal with cancerous Mast Cell Tumors for years now. I have had them removed so I am broke. I am currently out of work due to a back injury so things are so tough. But I will do anything for my baby. I will sell anything and everything I own before I let him die if his condition is treatable. He is my world and has had a rough little life. I rescue Kolbie and his brother Jack when they were 7 months and we have been a happy family. We lost Jack last year suddenly and unexpected. I went to sleep with Jack next to me and Kolbie at my feet and I woke up with Jack on the floor...gone! He had an undetected heart defect. I left that VET and now have found out Kolbie has a small heart issue as well but not like Jack and she checks on it all the time. Unfortunately his Tumors just keep growing back. He has 3 right now.

So if I find out tomorrow he does have diabetes...what do I do? Do you know the cheapest way to get needles? Do I have to get the insulin through the VET? Do you guys support one another here?

I realize I wrote a lot but I am so nervous and scared for my little guy. I also cannot bare to lose him. Losing Jack crushed me but I still had Kolbie. He is only 8... And that is young for a cat. As I look at him sleeping right now, I keep wondering if he is going to be ok. I pray my Kolbie will be ok. I love him with all my heart.

Thank you so much for listening to me. I appreciate it so much! It is so nice to be somewhere where people understand. I am very grateful.

Kolbie's Mom

2. Hi and welcome, Kolbie's Mom!

Just wanted to give you a quick answer to one question -
    Definitely a sign of diabetes. FD cats are literally starving to death, because they can't metabolize food correctly. Usually they will eat much more than normal, but lose weight while doing so. My cat went from 22 pounds down to 12.

I'll be back...

Carl

3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

If it is diabetes, he isn't able to use the calories from the food he eats, so increasing it some helps him. It also could be hyperthyroidism. Many of the symptoms are the same - increased water consumption, increased hunger, increased urination, and weight loss.

Feeding a low carb canned diet is good regardless of other health conditions. Cat Info explains more and there is a food list there. Select any with 10% calories from carbohydrates or fewer.

4. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the board! You are in the right place if he does have diabetes.

Diabetes is very treatable!. I have two cats with diabetes and although it can be a little inconvenient to treat at times its SO worth it. Both boys act like normal cats! Nobody would know they had diabetes if I didnt tell them. They eat, play , groom etc all normally.

- Not sure where you live, but in the US I believe your vet prescribes the insulin and you buy it at a pharmacy. Lantus, Levemir and Prozinc are good choices. They give you a vial or pens. It says it only lasts 1-2 months on the label but in fact it can last up to 6 months. Costs around $150 I think. Pens are more expensive but last longer and not as breakable.

- Syringes etc are cheap in walmart. WalMart sells ReliOn brand that cost less than $15 USD for 100 syringes. Online sources, including American Diabetes Wholesale (link above) and others can save you money.

- The vet may want to sell you prescription food (wet or dry). Its expensive. What do you currently feed? wet or dry? We may be able to recommend a cheaper food.

Lastly there is lots of other things you can do to make your cat well like testing his blood glucose, plus changing to low carb food. And we can offer a lot of support here. But first, lets see what the diagnosis is and let us know!

Wendy

5. KolbiesMom40

KolbiesMom40 New Member

thank you Wendy!

I so appreciate every word. I live in the North Eastern part of the US. I just read the poem regarding cats and that really helped me. I seem to worry when kolbie is sleeping, not playing and just about all the time. But that is ever since Jack died on me.

I am waiting to hear anytime now. Thank you for your support. If he does have diabetes I know I am in the right place. Even the 150 you mentioned is too concerning considering I just spent that on his VET visit to have blood work done.

Edit: I forgot to ask you what the difference is between syringes and tubes? I know he would need a needle...but is there more than that if this is the case? You can wait to answer until after I get the news...thank you again.
    I will let you know Wendy!

. Thank you gain for your support.

6. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

7. KolbiesMom40

KolbiesMom40 New Member

Oh thank you! You are so kind and so helpful! Did you see my question to you that I added in the above post? I had to edit it in.... I am confused about the Difference between syringes and then also tubes? Are they different? I mean...do you need more than one thing?

8. KolbiesMom40

KolbiesMom40 New Member

Oh...I meant to mention that I am currently feeding both wet and dry. He is overeating right now and my VET knows it. He is so hungry that I am just feeding him.

I cannot seem to reply to Carl and BGM? I cannot remember the expect names... But I really wanted to thank you both for helping me out and answering questions. Anything that puts my mind at ease is helpful....so thank you all very much!

9. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

You can send a PM to either of them (its a small icon below their names which u can see if you scroll above) but its likely they will both visit here in the next day anyway.

Tubes? Not sure what you mean? You need syringes to inject the insulin into the cat for sure.

And BJ is right, it's a good idea to feed low carb canned food only to any cat, no matter what, because it will help prevent so many problems later.
    However if your cat is diabetic and is on insulin you do need to be careful because the change could impact his insulin requirements. Then we would recommend home testing.

Anyway.. We are still waiting on the results.

10. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

You don't need to reply directly to anyone - just keep adding comments on your thread directed to the person you want.

We also have a free testing kit; you just pay postage. It's the picture on the top of this page. And there was some Lantus in the Supply closet. You might reply to that post:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=85852

The insulin is offered by DCIN so you might be asking them twice but it won't hurt.

11. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Do you mean an insulin pen? Most insulins are available in two containers: a typical 10 ml bottle/vial and as an insulin pen. Both bottles and pens are used the exact same way for cats: insert insulin syringe needle into the rubber stopper and pull syringe plunger to draw insulin into the syringe.

Are you using Lantus? The Lantus SoloStar pens are what most people here use. Here is info on how to use them for a cat: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=151

12. KolbiesMom40

KolbiesMom40 New Member

Hi again,

I heard from the VET and he DOES have diabetes. I am so scared right now. I think I was in denial when I was here before bEcause I did not know anything. He has to go back there in one week and stay the whole day so they can evaluate him to see how much insulin he will need. I am poor so all of this is so overwhelming. But everyone know I would and will sell everything I own for my Kolbie. I lost Jack one year ago and he was only 7 so I just cannot lost my Kolbie. I asked my VET about buying products online and she had concerns about it. I think she heard some not so good stories?

I'm sorry that my questions don't make sense. I am new to all this and I am just so worried. There is so much going on right now in my life health wise that this is like the final thing for me.... I am just overwhelmed is all. So yes, I meant syringes when I was asking.... I saw the word tubes somewhere so that is why I asked that.

Kolbies sugar is at 379 and also he has some elevated liver enzymes. She said they are not too elevated and that they could be a little high due to stress when he was at the VET. I really am hoping and praying his liver is ok. It will cost me $290.00 for him to be there next week. That includes 3 months of insulin and syringes. I have no idea where I am going to get that money right now. She said they just started working with a program that helps people out in my situation. So I am hoping I can get some help for him. It is really nice of her to think of me....she knows my situation. She said he will be on
    U40 insulin. Anyone else have a cat on that insulin?

What a day... I was supposed to have an MRI today of my brain due to some physical problems... But yesterday I we up with a staph infection on my scalp. This week is starting off great! I had my 3' s all in 2 days!

Any help, information..... Or how this board works would really be appreciated... Will Kolbie be ok once he is stable on insulin? How long can a cat live? Do any of you have cats that have lived long with diabetes? I am just searching for hope. His diet will change eventually too.....to a low carb. I am a very worried kitty mama... : (

Thank you for listening!

13. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wow you have had a very stressful day but its ok, you are in the right place. No need to be overwhelmed. Cats can live a normal lifespan with diabetes when treated so no need to worry there. You can't even tell my boys have diabetes.. They behave normally now they are regulated... Play, purr, groom... Everything.

To address a few things
    1. Buying things like syringes and measuring tools from reputable online vendors like American diabetes wholesale and Walmart is perfectly safe and cheap. I wouldn't buy insulin online though.. It has to be kept cold. Better to get it from your local pharmacy. Pretty sure that's what your vet meant.

2. $290 is actually not bad to get his insulin evaluated at the vet, plus syringes and insulin. My sister took her cat and it cost over $1k! U40 insulin is strength. Usually it's u100 but I will let someone else comment more on that.

3. You should transition your cat to low carb wet food as soon as possible and ideally before he goes back to the vet. It can drop his blood glucose levels significantly and he may not need as much insulin!! And its so much better for him. fancy feast classic pâtés are a great choice and price. But here is a list of foods (choose under 10%carbs) http://www.catinfo.org/docs/Food Chart Public 9-22-12.pdf FYI no kibble ever.. Not even treats.

4.I strongly recommend you home test his blood to keep him safe, see above link from Sue and Oliver to get a free meter. And check this page out for more info on that and how the board works.https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Rd6sMfsrNB41yQVEqpyjlHrJsDIbGEhbRIWR4QAwu3c/pub

Have a good read, it's a lot of info to take in and can be overwhelming at first but we are here to help. You have time to get educated before you see the vet next week which is great.

Take a read and Let us know your questions!

14. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Can you also find out what this program is that helps people out with diabetic cats? A lot of our members would love to know that.

And don't panic! It really is ok.

15. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Ok, unless the vet said he has DKA, there is no reason to keep him at the vet for a week.

Did the vet say he wanted him there "to regulate him"? If he did, then politely say no and bring him home. A cat cannot get regulated in just a week and keeping him at the vet to be tested and given insulin is not going to give you reliable results - due to cat stress of being out of the home. All you will do is spend money unnecessarily.

The best place to treat the cat is at home.

Now that is so long as the cat doesn't have DKA.

There are three main components to treating diabetes: food/nutrition, home testing and insulin

1) Feline Nutrition: Now, as far as diet - definitely dump the dry food (if you are feeding any) and if the vet recommends purchasing prescription food like DM just say "no thank you". ALL cats, and especially those with diabetes, do best on a species appropriate diet that is high in protein and low in carbs. Dry food DOES NOT fit that bill and DM food, even canned, just really isn't that great as far as quality. Most here on FDMB feed low carb/high protein canned, raw bought from a pet store or they make there own.

Here great links, one is to a food chart put together by one of our board members that breaks down the carb % and protein % of most of the commercial brand foods. You want to keep the carb % below 10% and around 7% is great. The other link is to a site by a vet "Dr. Lisa DVM" ... who also posts on this board from time to time ... there is in-depth info. there about many things, including nutrition and how to make raw food.
    Nutrition/food info

The good thing with feeding your diabetic cat this way, is that it is ALSO good for any non-diabetic cat too. All your cats can safely eat the same food without worry and it may save you some costs and headaches of having to do separate feedings and keeping track of what they are eating.

2. Home testing: It is impossible to convey the value of testing your cat's BG (blood glucose) level at home. Some vets will "suggest" this, but most won't even mention it. They will send you home with insulin and an amount to shoot and maybe some instructions about hypoglycemia (blood sugar dropping to a dangerously low level).

Well, the thing is, human diabetics don't EVER give themselves insulin without checking there BG to make sure it is safe to do so, so why shouldn't it be the same for our kitties. Here on FDMB it is. You will notice that the vast majority of people here test their cat's BG at least 2x/day (before giving each shot to make sure the level is safe enough) and periodically at other times to see how the cat is responding to the current dose. We use a human glucometer, test strips and lancets - which are all very readily available and easy to use.

Our kitties get lots of love and treats for "putting up" with this and most of them actually come out to be tested on their own 'cause they want those treats . Here is a collection of great links that "Carolyn and Spot" pulled together about hometesting. See what you think ... it truly is the best way to not only keep Your cat safe but also really get a handle on this disease and help him to live a healthy life with FD (feline diabetes).

Home testing Links

3. Insulin: There are several types of insulin available. Many people, myself included use Lantus or Levimer both of which are great insulins. They are gentle insulin and given twice (BID) per day in 12 hour increments. Or you could also choose PZI or the new version called Prozinc.

Please read up on the insulins available, here is a link to the Insulin Support Groups:

Insulin Support Groups

However, one caveat and again this shows how these three things are inter-related:

If you are feeding dry food or even a high carb food, BEFORE removing these foods, please make sure of your insulin dose as it will most likely need to be reduced, so as to avoid a possible hypoglycemic situation due to the removal of the dry/high carb foods that will lower the BG’s and reduce the amount of insulin required. Again, another reason why home testing is important.

Now with all that being said, it sounds like the vet wants to start you with prozinc - please make sure that this is the insulin the vet is recommending - this is a good choice and an easy insulin to manage.

Supplies that you need:

human glucose meter and matching test strips and lancets - walmart sells relion brand which is the cheapest and do a sufficient job
    keto stix - pick up at any human pharmacy - for testing ketones in urine
    neosporin - or other antibiotic ointment with pain relief is fine - this is used to put on ears after testing to prevent bruising

scrip for U100 insulin syringes - with 1/2 unit markings - even though you will start with U40 insulin syringes for prozinc, those syringes are only in 1 unit increments, you may find that if you need to dose less than 1 unit, using the U100 syringe with 1/2 will help. BUT you must remember that if you use U100 syringes, you must convert the dose. We have a conversion chart that you can print and keep handy so you don't give the wrong amount of insulin. I don't want to jump ahead too much, but want to make you aware that this is an option.

make your own warming sock - take one sock, add about 1/4 cup of regular rice, dried beans or oatmeal (oatmeal is my personal preference), knot the top, place in microwave 15-30 seconds until warm to touch, then hold on cat's ear for about 1-2 minutes until ear is warm - this will help warm the ear and make the blood flow better

You mentioned that you are in the Northeast - where exactly are you - city/state is fine. There may be members local who can teach/demonstrate home testing in person.

And while this may seem overwhelming and stressful at first and yes it is. You will soon understand what we are talking about and it will get easier. Give yourself time to read, understand and ask questions. We are here to help.

16. Sue and Oliver (GA)

It does sound like you got three in a row! Hope it settles down. If he were mine, I would either get the testing kit from us or get a meter and strips from Walmart. (only about $40 total). If you decide to go the Walmart route, ask for a shopping list first.

Then I would change his food to wet low carb. Since money is tight, you can buy Friskies pâté or Fancy Feast classics (not too many fish flavors). We can give you lots of advice on food brands and how to transition him over. My Oliver went down 100 points overnight when we switched from dry to wet.

Then I would start hometesting. Since he has been on dry, and he was stressed at the vet (which raises blood glucose levels up to 100 points higher), he may be in the 200s at home. With a diet change, it is possible that you might not need insulin, or if you do, for a short time and small doses. As soon as you get some numbers at home,you'll know how the diet change is working.

Yes, many cats here live healthy happy lives on insulin, and some go into remission. IT will take some work on your part now, before that next vet visit, but you can start ahead. If you get good at testing, he wouldn't need to spend the time at the vet. You can use your at home numbers.

The U40 insulin is probably ProZinc which is a good insulin. If you can get some free Lantus from DCIN, that would eliminate that cost.

Let us know how we can help with advice on food, meters and testing tips.

17. KolbiesMom40

KolbiesMom40 New Member

What is lantis? Kolbie has been eating wet and dry...not dry. So do you mean I should get him off th dry food? How do you get your own testers and how much are they? I am disabled right now with a back injury so money is a huge issue! Thank you so much for all that information. What exactly should I be doing before he goes to the VET? We are getting a big snowstorm tonight and tomorrow and then another one this weekend..

18. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Sorry if we confused you!

Lantus is a kind of insulin, But it sounds like your vet is planning to give you prozinc. That is a good one too.

Before the vet -

1. Relax. Grab a glass of wine or a tea or whatever to help you calm down a bit. ;)

2. Stop feeding dry. Today. Right now. Wellness grain free, fancy feast classic pates and friskies pates are good choices for wet food. Otherwise check out the food list i gave above and choose a canned food under 10% carbohydrates. What wet food are you currently feeding?

3. Request your free meter from this link http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=60261Or go to walmart (or use walmart link above) and buy a Walmart relion and test strips.

4. Read all the stuff above - and the links people provided.

5. ask lots of questions and keep us updated!

Wendy

19. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Lantus (not lantis) is the brand name of one type of insulin. Also known as glargine.

The first step, especially before starting insulin, is to NOT feed dry food EVER. Yes, we mean no more kibbles, no more treats like temptations, pounce, etc. All these types of dry food/treats are high in carbs and not good for cats. IF you read, Dr.Lisa's website she explains the problem with dry food, prescription or what you buy in the store. www.catinfo.org

You can buy a glucose meter anyplace it is sold. You do NOT need a scrip to purchase it. Sometimes the meters and test strips are behind the pharmacy counter and you have to ask the pharmacist to get it for you, but you do not need a prescription to purchase it.

We have found that Walmart sells the least expensive meter and strips - it is the relion brand. You want to purchase one that requires a very small blood sample.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/RELION-CONFIR ... gMethod=rr

Make sure that you buy the meter and the MATCHING test strips

Also purchase ketostix or ketodiastix

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Reli-On-Keton ... p/13037592

And lancets that work with the device or you can use free handed. But you want lancets that are 28 or 29 gauge - do not start with 30 or 33 gauge. As the higher the number the thinner the lancet and more challenging it may be for testing.

We recommend changing the food to canned/wet food that is low in carbs - less than 10%. In order to help you figure this out, we have a chart that you can follow. It's in my link above.

However, to make it even easier, you can purchase:

Fancy Feast - Classics that are pate style - examples - beef feast, chicken feast, turkey & giblets feast
    Friskies - pate style - chicken pate, beef & chicken pate, etc.

You want to avoid the foods that have gravy, are grilled, sliced, diced, flaked, etc.

Mainly the ones that are pate style are lowest in carbs

If you can do these two things, change the food from dry to wet and start home testing, you will have a better handle on the situation and the need for insulin may be reduced.

20. KolbiesMom40

KolbiesMom40 New Member

Ok, so what kind of treats do you give your cats then? Because the ones you named are the ones he gets... And my VET said I did not need to change his food yet... If I take up his dry food he is going to scream at me all night long because he will not have food to eat overnight. It got so bad that I had to give him wet food right before bed because he has been so hungry. This was also how I knew something was wrong with him. But it is important to remove the dry food now?

I am going to have to read all the links when I am more fresh and awake.....it has been a really long and trying day.

21. KolbiesMom40

KolbiesMom40 New Member

Oh...and I feed him fancy feast now so that is good to know. But unfortunately he loves some of the other ones that are not pate. But there are still some that he will eat that are the ones you mentioned so that is really helpful to know. Thank you for letting me know that!

22. KolbiesMom40

KolbiesMom40 New Member

The Walmart link for the meter is no longer working. When you hit it it tells you that the page is not found. I just wanted to let you know!

23. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

A lot of people here give freeze dried chicken treats which they love (you get a big dog bag from petsmart) but here are other suggestions. http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9172

I cant say it often or strongly enough.no more dry! Leave out extra canned - a big pile if you have to! If he wakes you up, give him another can.

The dry probably caused the problem in the first place. It isnt good for them. It spikes their blood sugar for a long time and damages their pancreas.

The problem with waiting like your vet said - is that he will prescribe insulin dose based on the fact you are making the diabetes worse with the dry food. Then you switch to canned and the insulin dose is too much, and his blood glucose drops suddenly one day and your could cat have a hypo = VERY VERY BAD!

If you switch to canned now, your kittys blood sugar levels will drop before he starts the insulin - he may in fact not need insulin at all! And the vet will be able to make a better decision on insulin dose..... if he even still needs it.

Wendy

24. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

25. KolbiesMom40

KolbiesMom40 New Member

I see it! And then what else do I need with it? Testing strips?

26. KolbiesMom40

KolbiesMom40 New Member

What is a lancet? As oppose to strips? I am trying to buy the right things.....

27. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Shopping list for home testing

Glucometer and testing strips that go with whatever meter you pick.
    Ketosticks for testing urine for ketones
    Lancing divice and lancets to fit it...starting out you will want a 29 to 30 gauge.
    Rice sock (thinnish cotton sock with a little plain rice in the toe and knotted for warming the ear0

Low carb treats. (with 14 cats only 2 diabetic I personally use boiled chicken breast cut into bite size pieces)

Mel, Maxwell, Autumn & The Fur Gang

28. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

lancets are the small pokey things that you use to get blood out of the ear...Test strips are what goes in the meter and sucks up the blood so the meter can read it.

Mel, Maxwell, Autumn & The Fur Gang

29. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Ok heres a shopping list!

1. meter (link above)
    2. Matching strips - http://www.walmart.com/ip/Relion-Confirm-Micro-Test-Strips-50ct/13396848?findingMethod=rr
    3. lancets - little sticks to poke the ear to get blood . new members usually start with a larger gauge lancet such as 28g or 29g until the ear learns to bleed; then progress to a 31g or 33g which are finer. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Arkray-USA-Inc-28-Guage-Lancets/20780315
    4. Cotton balls to stem the blood
    5. neosporin ointment to heal the wound
    6. Ketone urine test strips - to check for ketones. Important when blood is high http://www.walmart.com/ip/Reli-On-Ketone-Test-Strip/13037592
    7. Treats for the cat - like freeze dried chicken
    8. karo syrup/corn syrup or honey if you dont have it at home - for hypo emergencies to bring blood sugar up fast
    9. A couple of cans of fancy feast gravy lovers - for hypo emergencies to bring blood sugar up fast

Wendy

30. KolbiesMom40

KolbiesMom40 New Member

Awesome! Almost got it all! Thank you so so so much. This was so helpful.... I need to do this in baby steps like this.

31. KolbiesMom40

KolbiesMom40 New Member

This is a great idea for treats. I was having a hard time with this one. I copied your entire post because I love all of it.

32. KolbiesMom40

KolbiesMom40 New Member

Actually I am confused by something....

As I am looking for things to buy...these 2 things look the same...

Is there a difference between the glucose meter and the lancet meter? I cannot find any difference. Am I just looking for lancets only?

33. Sue and Oliver (GA)

There is a lancet device - sort of little "gun" that shoots the lancet and makes the poke. I liked ours but had to take off the clear cap so I knew where I was poking. Some people just free hand. I would suggest 26-28 gauge lancets for the first few weeks of pokes until his ear "learns" to bleed.

34. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

ok heres what you do to test.

You poke the ear with a lancet (poky stick) to get it to bleed. You can use the lancet on its own, or buy a small lancet device or pen that automatically pokes the ear - its basically a lancet on a spring. You choose the depth of poke, and press the button and the lancet pops out and pokes the ear. I dont like those devices because i dont get control and its hard to see where you are poking cos the device is in the way. And the click as it pops out upsets some cats.

Once you have the blood you insert a strip into the blood glucose meter. You then hold the strip (while still in the meter) against the drop of blood and it "sips" it up. And tells you the blood glucose reading.

Here is a video that shows someone testing using the lancet on its own http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zE12-4fVn8

35. KolbiesMom40

KolbiesMom40 New Member

Ok I have it all. It all comes to 65 dollars. Ouch!!!! I do not know how the heck I am going to do any of this. But I need to go purchase those things now. Well I am officially a mom of a diabetic baby kitty. I am glad to have al of you. You all helped me today. I need a brain break right now though. So very overwhelmed. Thanks so much!

36. KolbiesMom40

KolbiesMom40 New Member

Oops! It was 10 dollars less than that. I put in a double item since my brain is friend. I almost purchased it too. Ugh! Thank you all again and I will be back.....

37. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Have a break and come back tomorrow and we can discuss how to start a spreadsheet. Be good to get a few readings between now and the vets visit (what day is it?)

Also I am in the office all day tomorrow so wont be around to chat till this time but keep asking questions and I can respond then if the others dont get there first.

Wendy

38. Hillary & Maui (GA)

here are additional ideas that you can use as treats -

you can boil or bake chicken and give the cat the cooked chicken just do not season it.

if you buy rotisserie chicken at the store, you can share it with your cat - just give the parts closest to the bone, so it doesn't have seasoning on it.

basically you can feed anything that is 100% protein - chicken, beef, etc.

you can even use tuna fish as a treat. but only do that occasionally

here is a link with more treat ideas: http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=445

be sure to give treats every time you test, even if the test is not successful, as you want the cat to associate testing and treats and make the process easier.

and changing the food NOW is the best thing to do, because it could even alleviate the need for insulin and/or reduce the amount of time insulin may be needed.

if you have more than one cat, all your cats will benefit from eating this way.

keep the higher carb fancy feast and separate it from your every day food. because you may need it after starting insulin - label it high carb and keep it separate.

and you can feed this as the sole food source - one trick that we use is adding water to the food. this will keep it moist longer and ensure the cat is getting plenty of water. and you can leave it out all day/night.

39. KolbiesMom40

KolbiesMom40 New Member

Hi everyone!

I have had some time to calm down and I have a question for you.

You said I can feed him the classic fancy feast food right? Can it be any flavor as long as it is classic? When I bring him to the VET on Monday I need to bring food and since he is so picky I am going to bring like 10 favors.

One other thing I wanted to let you know is that the program I was telling you about is going to pay for Kolbies visit on Monday. When they told me that I was so relieved. They are covering the whole $290.00. Wow. A family member was going to help out in a couple weeks but it would have been too late. So that stressor has been relieved. They said if they have the funding they can keep helping when Kolbie needs to be at the VET.

I will check in with all of you tomorrow. Kolbie is begging for food and I am very tired. :eek:

40. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Hi,

Yes all flavours of classic fancy feast pâtés are fine but don't feed the fish more than twice a week.

Start feeding it to him now though to get him used to it and start bringing his blood glucose levels down before the vets
    ( check foods here, under 10% carbs only http://www.catinfo.org/docs/Food Chart Public 9-22-12.pdf

That's great about the program... What's it called or do you have more info? I would love to share it with other members here.

41. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

There are lots of other brands to feed a diabetic cat besides Fancy Feast. Fancy Feast is often recommened to newbies because it's a big brand name that many people know and it is available everywhere, from the supermarket to WalMart to even the dollar store. Fancy Feast adds up in cost over time because it's only available in a 3 oz can size and some unregulated diabetic cats may need 4 or more cans per day. There are brands that are available in larger sized cans, such as Wellness.

Here are easy to print diabetic-friendly canned food shopping lists:
    Dr. Lynne's Wet Food list
    List of low carb gluten free Fancy Feast
    http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=84885
    http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=81687
    http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=84512

Here are the more extensive food charts:
    Dr. Lisa's new food chart http://www.catinfo.org/docs/Food Chart Public 9-22-12.pdf
    Binky's canned food charts
    Pet Food Nutritional Values list
    Hobo's Guide To Nutritional Values

Look for foods under 10% carbs on the above four charts.

42. KolbiesMom40

KolbiesMom40 New Member

Thank you for the food answers. I just called my VET because I need him to be seen tomorrow rather than Monday. He is not looking good and his appetite is decreasing.. Well he still acts very hungry but he is not really eating. I am really worried. He threw up over night and this morning too. He had this real drunk look in his eyes at one point today. I hope this does not screw up the payment arrangement. I will have to email them now.

He does not eat much dry food actually. But I am going to take it away now. I hope this will allow enough time to get out of his system. Do you know how long it takes? He was originally going to the VET on Monday.... UGH!

The receptionist me tend that the VET may want to put Kolbie on prescription food. I did not know what to say to that. She knows I cannot afford it so I do not think she will. I am also bringing the printed lists from here so she can see what he can eat. I want her to know I have done my homework. Kolbie eats fancy feast already so he won't be switching foods.

I am a nervous wreck now. My baby is going to be poked and prodded all day tomorrow. What if they screw up? What if he won't eat because he is away from home? He hates it there and is such a mamas boy. He actually can say mama and cries the word mama when he wants something. He is such a funny kitty. He is a wicked manipulator. : ) I love him for it too! :RAHCAT any advice for me at this point?

43. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Hi there
    Going to the vet tomorrow is a good idea. They will take good care and monitor him and this will get you started on insulin. That will hopefully be a step toward resolving his issues. Make sure you mention the lack of eating and vomiting to the vet. Bring something with you that smells like you - a toy or blanket or something that will give him comfort. And some of his favourite fancy feast to eat.

Prescription food isnt necessary so if the vet wants to do it, just say you cant afford it and use the fancy feast - many of our members do - including me. (classic pates only!)

Let us know what they decide his dose should be etc.. I want to get experts eyes on it. Reason being is that sometimes cats blood sugar can be much higher at the vet due to stress. The vet prescribes insulin based on that high level.. but when they get home the cat relaxes and the dose is too much and they have a hypo. Thats why its critical you start testing as soon as he goes on the insulin.

Can you get a test in tonite? it would be very helpful to know his baseline before he goes on insulin.

Wendy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.