Maverick and FHL-something all cat owners need to know about

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Karrie and Maverick, Jun 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karrie and Maverick

Karrie and Maverick Well-Known Member

I found out today that all along Maverick's profile was set to private and not viewable by everyone with the link. Here is Maverick's profile and story to share our journey dealing with Feline Hepatic Lipidosis. You can view it now hopefully through my signature.

FELEINE HEPATIC LIPIDOSIS: SOMETHING EVERY CAT OWNER NEEDS TO KNOW ABOUT

In July of 2008 Maverick was vomiting and I realized he wasn't eating. Unfortunately I don't know for how long this was going on as our dog was eating all the evidence of Maverick's decreased appetite/anorexia. Prior to this, we had switched him to a lower calorie food based on our vets advice that he needed to lose weight. We wasted time tempting him to eat, trying new foods, tuna etc. Vomiting continued. He was licking at tuna juice and gravy which I thought was okay he was getting some calories. When we brought him to the vet they did blood work and diagnosed liver disease (feline hepatic lipidosis) and he was starting to jaundice and within a day was as yellow as a banana. Maverick almost died. It was an emotional roller coaster ride.

The vet first recommended euthanasia which I decided was not an option. I authorized placement of a feeding tube, which he had for ten weeks (norm is 3-4 weeks) and it saved his life. It was a semi-selfish decision. I knew in my heart if his kidney was ok and it was, that he would pull through. But I wanted just one more day with him. I wasn't ready to say goodbye to him that day.

But from that day forward I risk annoying people, because I tell them about the dangers of a cat losing weight (without being monitored closely to make sure its slow and steady and that their appetite stays strong) just so they can be informed. They may not want to hear it at the time, but I wish someone had told me. If I can avoid one cat and their owner from dealing with FHL it will be worth it. I had written in his original profile "I still have moments of awe two years later hearing his purrs and being able to cuddle him, that he is still with me".

Cats often stop eating or lose weight from illness. But also due to stress. Such as home renovations, boarding, owners going on vacation, changes in food (or company recipe changes), even changes in litter, and new family additions or losses. Cats are creatures of habit. Things that don't stress us, can stress them.

FHL is liver failure due to cats biology. Their livers do not process body fat (when not enough calories are obtained through food) like humans do. Their livers can start getting clogged with fat. FHL is also called Fatty Liver Disease. This makes them feel unwell, eat less and it can progress very quickly. Some cats don't get this even with rapid weight loss. But some cats get this from just not eating enough for a few days. When a cat isn't eating it is a clue to get them to the vet. Monitor their weight so you know what is normal. Never put a cat on a reduced calorie diet without close monitoring and ensure that weight loss is slow with periods of maintenance in between so the liver can get a break.

FHL was a blessing in disguise for us. Maverick and I bonded closely with his 10 weeks of tube feeding him throughout the day. He ended up loving cuddles, slept with me on my bed, loved his belly rubbed and I carried him through the house like he was a baby. I treasured every single day I had with him and didn't take him for granted. I thought he would be with me much longer. But I had 2.5 years filled with lots of love from my big beautiful boy. Since I work from home I called him my office assistant. I got lots more time with him than if I had worked in an office.

I owe lots of thanks to the Yahoo group Feline Assisted Feeding for saving his life that July (and my sanity), and to the gang on the Lantus Land FDMB. You made the five months we managed diabetes ones I will always remember. It means so much to me that I was able to share Maverick with all of you and be in the company of such compassionate like minded people.

Karrie and Maverick. August 1997 - April 2011. He will be with me in spirit always, and never forgotten.

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Re: Maverick and FHL-something all cat owners need to know a

From the lecture I attended at the Midwest Veterinary expo, in as little as 2 days, FHL can begin. As fat is release to be broken down for calories, it goes the liver, causing the cells to swell with fat. This swelling blocks the bile ducts, which forces bile into the blood strean - this is where the jaundice derives. Also, FHL majorly disrupts normal digestive processes to the point that malabsorption occurs. Treatment includes careful refeeding and certain supplements.

3. Karrie and Maverick

Karrie and Maverick Well-Known Member

I agree completely. A lot of vets still say it takes weeks of complete inappetance for FHL to occur. Liver supplements improve survivability dramatically. That's really cool that you attended a seminar on this.

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Here is a PDF from a vet who researches FHL. She gave the presentation at the MW Veterinary Expo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.