We had to let Bubba go today

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Herdo, Jun 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Herdo

Herdo Member

We just got back from the doctor. Bubba's remaining blood results came in showing his liver looked fairly normal, which was not good news. The doctor said because his enzymes and everything were pretty normal, she was pretty confident his liver was cancerous, being so enlarged. She said there was maybe a 5% chance it wasn't cancer. You can read more about his struggle over the past 5 days if you'd like here: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=98602

He looked so frail and weak, and his breathing was very shallow. We got to visit with him for about 15 minutes before we had them take him away. I am going to hate myself for not being there while he passed, but we just couldn't do it. We handed him off and walked out of the office at 2:15. I don't think he would have made it through the day.

Bubba was the best cat we could have asked for. He went on a road trip with us when he was still a baby, and got to see most of the country. He was the only cat I have ever seen that let us handle him the way we did. He loved to be cradled like a baby, and would talk to you any time you spoke directly to him. Right now I can't imagine life without him, and the house feels so lonely already. He is my best friend.

We had him cremated and will be receiving his ashes in a week or two. I hate that the last few days of his life he was alone in an unfamiliar place, but we were doing what we thought was right. I hope he forgives us.

Bubba was actually just a nickname that stuck. We named him Chunks when he was first born, because he was the chunkiest kitty in the litter. He later grew into his body better and we started calling him Bubba after my dad. We also called him Muppet because a friend of ours said he looks "too real". I know that doesn't make sense, but it would if you saw him. He had a very human like quality to his face.

Goodbye Bubba. We will always remember you, and we will always miss you, and we will always love you.

2. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

My heart just breaks for both of you. I've constantly been checking for an update and just now saw this. You gave it your all, did all that you knew to do, and Bubba knew you loved him. There are times when diabetes is the first to show up but in reality it is a secondary disease and we don't always find the main reason as to why they suddenly fall ill and go downhill so quickly. No more illness or pain for Bubba, he is at peace, and only time and lots of tears will help you through this. You both have my deepest and most sincere and heartfelt sympathy on the loss of your beloved boy. He was so young to have had to leave. wings_cat rb_icon

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

So sad. Sending purrs and prayers.

4. terriy

terriy Member

So sorry for your loss. Deepest condolences to you and your family
    Terriy & Chicken Little

5. Rob & Harley (GA)

Rob & Harley (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry for you loss.

Fly free Bubba wings_cat

6. KarensPoe

KarensPoe Member

I am so very very sorry to hear this. wings_cat

I know how you feel about not being able to see him pass. I never could either. I had one cat put down about 6 years ago, and my daughters sat there with him, I had to leave. Another, the same, couldn't do it. It rocks your core, and for me, I don't think I'd be able to breathe.

But, he knows...he knows you were there at the end. He knows the love and devotion you had for him...he knows how you are grieving.

He is in the land of endless treats and pounces...looking back...free of pain and totally healthy...happy to have been YOUR cat.

Prayers for peace and comfort in your time of loss. :YMHUG:

7. dian and wheezer

dian and wheezer Well-Known Member

so very sorry for your loss. Bubba will be with a lot of the "greats".
    fly free Bubba. you will always be remembered
    hugs

8. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Requiem aeternum, Bubba.

{{Hugs}}

9. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Fly free little Bubba. You have earned your wings.

wings_cat

10. I am so, so very sorry to see this. I had really hoped that this was something as "simple" as DKA and that he would continue to make progress and be able to come home soon.

You did all you could do for him, and I am glad that you were able to see him one last time before letting him go.
    Sending prayers and best wishes that your grief will be replace by nothing but good memories of your sweet boy.

Fly free little Bubba. Visit your beans's dreams to let them know that you are in a better place and that you will never truly be gone from their hearts.

Carl

11. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry for your loss.
    Fly free Bubba.... rb_icon
    [​IMG]

12. Herdo

Herdo Member

Thank you everyone for your kind words. We are both torn apart by this, but at the same time I think we are both glad this is over, and Bubba isn't suffering anymore. It's going to be a long time before we get to a point where we can think of Bubba and feel happy, but that is ok. I keep distracting myself to try and ease the pain, but then for a split second I forget he is not here, and I look down to his favorite spot to look for him.

Thanks again everyone. We couldn't have done this without you guys here supporting us.

13. Simon'sMommy

Simon'sMommy Well-Known Member

So very sorry. Fly free Bubba - you earned your little wings wings_cat

14. RobinCot

RobinCot Well-Known Member

So nice that you so lovingly helped Bubba to the Rainbow Bridge where he will feel pain no more.
    I am crying with you. Bless you for being such wonderful beans to your chunky fella.

15. Liz4Paws

Liz4Paws Member

My heart aches for you. I am so sorry to hear about your beloved Bubba. He was so lucky to have such wonderful people in his life. Sending you my condolences...

16. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

I am so sorry. Fly free sweet Bubba. May you soar high and wide and land softly. You are much loved and will be sorely missed. Until you meet again.

17. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

18. Herdo

Herdo Member

Thank you so much everyone for your replies. I'm sorry I haven't replied sooner, but I have just been trying to keep my mind off of it, and your comments are all so touching it's hard to stomach them right now (in a good way). Things were a bit easier today, and I think they will be a bit easier tomorrow. One day at a time. We are so thankful for you all for helping us through this. It's too hard to try and explain to people that we didn't lose a pet, we lost our baby who was a member of our family, but it's clear you all feel the same way so thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.