More or Less insulin????

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tillie & Bookends, May 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tillie & Bookends

Tillie & Bookends New Member

confused_cat

I just blew my first attempt at posting. Let me try again:

Swirl is one of two litter mates with diabetes. His brother is on H****moon. They are 15 yrs old and were dx about seven years ago. Swirl has had chronic gum disease and multiple extractions. Two weeks ago he had the remainder of his teeth removed (except canines and little front ones). He eats Fancy Feast low carb canned and is eating slowly, but well without his teeth.
    He had been on 2u PZI vet bid.

I've sent the attachement to my vet and have been waiting for reply. I'm sure she'll call at some point. Meanwhile, I'd love to have the wisdom of the board. I am wondering if I need to back down to a minimal dose as if we were just starting out.

Attached Files:

2. Hope and Aria

Hope and Aria Member

It looks like you need to lower his dose, but maybe not by a lot. Without midshot #'s but with the every few shots being too low, I'd speculate there's some liver action going on and some overlap buildup. Can you try going down to 1.8 or 1.6 and see if the PS's start to level out?

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

hi tille,
    it looks like you've been at this awhile. are you hometesting? i could'nt see a spread sheet. could you make one like we have here.
    i could'nt see more than one days #'s and shots.

4. Tillie & Bookends

Tillie & Bookends New Member

Thank you. I also think giving a little less insulin until Swirl evens out again may be the answer. I'm spoiled and miss really predictable curves!!

Regarding the chart question: I do home test. The most recent info was on a Word attachment with the post. I hadn't tried Excel, but that sample was pretty cool and I may give it a try.

5. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Hi Tille,

I agree that slightly less insulin might just be the ticket. The 2U is causing you to have to skip shots, which sometimes leads to fairly high PS numbers the next time you check.

In some cats, PZI can be managed to lead to a fairly flat curve, something with maybe only a 100 point swing. You have to work the overlap, and that means not missing shots. Also, your shot cutoff is 200. Maybe you could lower that a tad, to maybe 180 or 170, to better work the overlap.

Venita

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.