Fancy Feast, Lantus, Erratic blood sugars

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by PJ and Carolyn, Feb 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PJ and Carolyn

PJ and Carolyn New Member

PJ, 14yo neutered male, on lantus 3 years, 1/2 U BID for approx 1.5 years until recently

I feed FF based on the low carbs selection. I've tried to transition to raw, but PJ's very inconsistent on likes and dislikes, therefore I've always used FF as his "core" food, adding beef heart, raw chicken, gr turkey,adding CA++ via ground egg shell 1/2t/1 lb of muscle meat which I estimate
    He's had crazy glucose numbers lately, in hind sight, associated I think with the FF label change. I see the same similar ingredients on the label, however I've discovered certain FF feedings coincided with 300"s + ketones.
    I thought my lantus was going bad but wondered why he'd have good then bad then good numbers with the same bottle of Lantus.
    It seems the " tender beef feast" drives numbers up and the "tender liver & chicken feast" keeps numbers at bay. He's lost weight and his coat is not as shiny as well. I plan to take him to vet this week for annual blood work. Any thoughts?
    I've got glucose #'s for last 10 days. Here's my log of BS and FF fed when it dawned on it could be the food:
    2-26 0700 74 1U
    1845 159 1.5U tender beef
    2-27 0730 303 ketones 1.75U tender beef
    1430 300 ketones 1.5
    2-28 0130 274 1.5 chicken/liver
    0900 39 chicken liver- wow low, but tolerated, asymptomatic, I encouraged him to eat.

Has anyone had glucose changes since the new FF labels or could it be my Lantus going bad.

Thanks,

Carolyn and PJ, who is very sweet in many ways!

2. Pam and Layla

Pam and Layla Member

Hi Carolyn,

I've moved your post from the Think Tank to the FD Health board in order to get more eyes on your post.

I think several people have noticed some changes with certain Fancy Feast flavors. Mine have been pickier with the FF, but I often rotate flavors as well as add other brands into the mix.

Does PJ have ketones? You mention them, but I'm unsure if the meter is just flashing the word, ketone, to prompt you to check, or if you've tested his urine with the ketostix. If he is positive for ketones you need to see the vet asap.

As for the Lantus going bad, how old is your insulin?

I hope everything turns around for you and PJ soon.

Best,
    Pam & Layla

3. Cheryl and Winnie

Cheryl and Winnie Well-Known Member

as lantus poops out you can get erratic numbers. How old is your vial/cartridge?

dunno about the FF, except my civie isn't too happy with the flavor of the new labels.

4. Tina & Sammy

Tina & Sammy Well-Known Member

Hi Carolyn,

I definitely think you should stop over at the Lantus help board. It appears that you are giving a different size dose at every shot time. From my experience and from what I have learned Lantus works better on a consistent dose. The fluctuations in the PJ's BG could be due to the fluctuation in the size of the dose. I am not saying it might also be related to the food, but for starters we should really get you on a consistent dose.

You can check out Sami's spreadsheet in my signature. Look at the TrueResults tab in her spreadsheet and you will see that when I first got started with Lantus I was doing something very similar to what you are doing and changing the dose all the time. Once I stuck with the same size dose and was using the protocol, also in my signature, Sami started to regulate and as off yesterday she is officially off insulin.

Hope you stop by the Lanus group HERE IS THE LINK

5. Pat and Shyloh

Pat and Shyloh New Member

RE: FF Tender Beef - interesting concept. This is just about all Shy eats and I can't get him out of the 300 range but the new labels coincided with a change to PZI so who knows? He also spikes high after feeding. I'm stopping at the store this afternoon!!! Let you know if I notice a difference.

6. Jayne & Sweety

Jayne & Sweety Member

I got a little worried when I saw you saying higher numbers on the FF Tender Beef, Feast that's a big part of Sweety's diet too. Since she's diet controlled I really have to be careful. Anyway, I called the company, they told me it is 1.2% carbs. But I know that includes the moisture, so converting it to DMB it turns out to be 5.45% - still, pretty low. (Phew)

7. PJ and Carolyn

PJ and Carolyn New Member

Thanks to all who responded- I know think it was the insulin!
    I replaced my Lantus and now numbers are much better. I will continue to monitor the FF brand and let the group know if numbers erratic.
    One poster mentioned the varied doses I was giving- Normally, I give the same dose BID but was adjusting for the spikes with a sliding scale.
    Thanks again to all- You're a very wise group!

PJ and Carolyn

8. sommerbethel

sommerbethel Member

dang it...this might explain everything...

9. romulus

romulus New Member

HI my cat Tablet just went off inslin (10 days ago). After 2 month of inslin use (lantus pen), he is now in the 58 to 64 bg. Prior to his diagnosis with diabetis last December he ate Fancy Feast and loved it, it was hard to find any low carb food he would eat. I found out about GRAIN FREE cat food which is low carb, does not have gluten, and other garbage. My cat loves "Weruva" it is a "GRAIN FREE" can cat food it comes in chicken, beef, and fish tuna flavors. I think this is why Tablet's bg went down because of the "grain free" can cat food. (I can not prove it, nor am I a vet) Another company grain free is "BG before grain" they make a grain free dry food for cats who refuse to eat can food. I think can food (grain free) is best for diabetic cats. I tried the raw food with my cat "Prowl", Tablet did not like it. I think all cats should stay away from dry food especialy diabetic cats. I am glad I did bg testing at home, because if I had not I would have continued with Tablets inslin injections. However he did have a hypoglacemic epsiode, he recovered it happened in front of me. So when the cat first gos off inslin watch close and continue to do bg testing to make sure the cat does not need inslin any longer.
    Good luck, your cat is in our prayers
    Cindy & Tablet & Tucker

10. Donna & Gabby

Donna & Gabby New Member

Yes, yes yes! Have noticed considerable change in numbers since the new labels! Numbers all over the place. I posted a similar concern earlier but got no replys. Glad to know I'm not the only one seeing this.

Donna & Gabby

11. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

My Kitty had BG under 100 for FIVE MONTHS -- and then, the FF label changed, and poof, 127, and an OTJ trial derailed.

I am convinced that the FF Tender Beef feast is a factor. I'm getting off it now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.