3/24- Nova- AMPS=68, +4=45, +6=77, PMPS=101, +1=117, +3=72

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Dawn & Nova, Mar 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dawn & Nova

Dawn & Nova Well-Known Member

I woke up an hour early to try to get a +11.. she was NOT interested in waking up.. I could have pushed the issue, but I knew today would be test-filled so didn't want to start off on a cranky foot.. at regular test/shot time she happily trotted down the stairs and said good morning.. she's in a good mood, napping at the moment.

Well Nova.. that was an interesting preshot today.. I can barely stand up my BOS are so big and heavy hahaha.

Thiiiinking a fat 1U is going to be too much.. got the food ready.. after seeing her PS this morning.. I went back to the fat 1U needle I had already prepped and moved it into half way between 1U and fat 1U while making chicken noises (and took a while too.. how the heck do you get between 1U and f 1U without going insane?!).. so this morning I shot an "overweight 1U"? :)

So I've spent an awful lot of time (more than normal haha) the last few days staring at Nova's SS, and other cats.. going through her adventures so far.. we're coming up on 6 months since DX..

I'm thinking about finding out if I can get a C-peptide blood test done on her and how much it costs.. not that I expect it to be extremely telling at this point (esp considering all the variances I have read between labs and such).. but I'm thinking that it could be a useful baseline to have if she's still on insulin in 3 or 6 months from now..

The search tool isn't bringing up any discussion about people having this test done on their cats.. is there a more telling/accurate test I should consider instead? Has anyone gone this route and can share what they feel they gained if anything, and how much it costs? Or does anyone have any thoughts on it at all?

And to fill the condo with cute.. This video is pretty old..but I catch Nova doing this every other day or so, when she sleeps on her back.

Nova cuteness

yesterday's

2. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

Re: 3/24 - Nova - AMPS=68,+2=67,+3=58,+3.5=52

No info on the C-peptide, just wanted to say great shooting this morning! You are having an exciting day of it so far, but it looks like you're doing wonderfully. :) That video couldn't have been more adorable, too.

3. Dawn & Nova

Re: 3/24 - Nova - AMPS=68,+2=67,+3=58,+3.5=52

Nova's +4 test is coming up.. she's sleeping so cutely.. happily snoring away (she's a loud snorer ;) ).. I just don't want to wake her up.. but I know that I have to.. maybe the MC or HC I'm sure she's about to get will cheer her up..

4. Dawn & Nova

Re: 3/24 - Nova - AMPS=68,+2=67,+3=58,+3.5=52,+4=45

gave 1 teaspoon HC.. 1 teaspoon MC and 1/4 can FF at +4.. will test again in 15..

Maybe over-did it..but doesn't really matter since she's not staying at this dose anyways..

So Nova-Nova-kins.. 1U isn't enough to give the ol pancreas a full on break.. and f1U is entirely too much.. what exactly do you want me to do my pretty princess?

This is where I start to get concerned.. if I was dealing with insulin resistance, going from 1U->f1U would not have had such a dramatic effect correct? I stare at her SS endlessly, and think I see a struggling pancreas.. but can't figure out how to give it the break it needs to get better??

5. MJ+Donovan

MJ+Donovan Well-Known Member

Re: 3/24 - Nova - AMPS=68,+2=67,+3=58,+3.5=52,+4=45

That video was precious.... when my cats dream, I tend only to see whiskers twitch and front paws move. Don't think I've ever seen them RUN with their back feet like Nova.

Hmmmm, maybe you have to resort to 2 injections.... one for the 1U and one for 1 drop.

6. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Re: 3/24 - Nova - AMPS=68,+2=67,+3=58,+3.5=52,+4=45,+4.5=59

I probably wouldn't have fed quite as much. Also, Nova isn't a newly diagnosed FD -- officially, numbers should be below 40 to earn a dose reduction. I'd like some others to take a look and see what they think about the dose.

I've not heard of anyone getting a c-peptide test. It might be worth bringing up the subject on the Think Tank Board. From what I've read, there seems to be some debate as to it's utility.

7. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

Love that video of Nova, Dawn.
    Everytime I read about Nova I always have in my mind, she was next.
    Just so incredible how you saved her and how well she ids doing.
    I looked at your ss too, Just had to see what was boggling your mind.
    Now I can see why but I can barely figure out Max's, lol.
    How about a skinny/fat dose?? :D
    It is amazing what just 1 drop of insulin can do. Hope you get your answers.

8. Dawn & Nova

Yeah I'm not sure what's up with Nova's back legs.. very rarely do her front paws twitch at the same time.. so I think she's dreaming about standing up like a person and dancing :).

Yeah I figured I probably over did the food a little bit.. she's being so good about being woken up and stabbed so much this morning I caved! :)..

Hmm maybe my thinking isn't right..someone straighten me out.

I shot a fat 1U last night.. saw a 68 AMPS this morning.. which isn't the scariest thing in the world, but was lower then I expected.. so I went as brave as I could (and I'm still patting myself on the back for it so be gentle if you have to burst my bubble :) ).. and shot a SLIGHTLY fat 1U this morning.

Based on the action already from last night.. my guess was that these smaller dose changes at lower numbers, kick in a bunch faster then the bigger changes.. so my thinking was to continue to go onto tonight/tomorrow/etc with the "slightly" fat 1U.. having already done the "reduction" this morning..

Not trusting todays numbers as the results of either a fat 1U or a slightly fat 1U.. because I'm probably working with bits from both... so not AS concerned about what the numbers are post her +4 (45)... I don't expect to be seeing the results of the slightly fat 1U by itself until tonight.

I think I just hurt my brain.

9. Deb & Spot

Deb & Spot Well-Known Member

Re: 3/24 - Nova -AMPS=68,+2=67,+3=58,+3.5=52,+4=45,+4.5=59,+5=61

Hi there, Dawn! I just had the opportunity to read your profile and also check out your ss...and by the looks of today's checks, I can see where Ms. Nova can be a drama queen! I guess we need to tell her that she needs to get numbers under 40 in order to get herself a dose crease!
    I don't know anything about the c-peptide test you mentioned, so I'm going to have to go do some research on exactly what that is. Needless to say, I can't give any input on that.
    I just LOVED the video of Nova!!! That is so precious! I have never seen anything like that done by our feline friends, but my drooler does that quite often.
    Thanks for dropping in our condo yesterday and helping us celebrate Spots big day!

10. Dawn & Nova

Re: 3/24 - Nova -AMPS=68,+2=67,+3=58,+3.5=52,+4=45,+4.5=59,+5=61

Ok, what sort of medication should I be on so that I don't keel over when I see a number under 40??? :)

What I will say.. before you go off reading about the c-peptide test and come back thinking it's a horrible idea.. I understand it's not a true/false type test.. my hope is that by using the same lab, using the same method.. that multiple tests over time.. might give an idea how Nova's pancreas function is changing..

So I have three questions:
    1-should I continue to go with a SLIGHTLY fat 1U tonight.. or go back to a fat 1U?

2-If I'm testing her like mad.. as we all tend to do when these <60 numbers happen.. and feeding her through them.. won't I be trying really hard to prevent a low enough number to cause a dose decrease? and if I actually DO see a <40 number.. isn't that a failure on my part for letting her get there?

3-how do I keep my job to afford all the test strips during this process considering I expect her to be lower at night and won't ever sleep? :)

Congrats again on Spot.. and thanks again too :)

11. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

Re: 3/24-Nova-AMPS=68,+3=58,+3.5=52,+4=45,+4.5=59,+5=61,+6=77

That video is too cute!

Not sure I could tell the difference between fat and slightly fat, but Nova is doing really great. Even if all you're doing is supporting the pancreatic function with a little boost, it looks like it's working.

12. D and Noisy

D and Noisy Well-Known Member

If you have to feed to keep the numbers up, well -- if it were me I'd try a 1u and see if it held her in the green -- if it didn't I'd go back the sf1 and then the f1 after a cycle. For me, needing to feed to keep a number above 40 means an adjustment needs to be made.

13. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

Wow what great numbers!!! I couldnt move down the posts without stopping here--These numbers look amazing--Much improvement here!!
    And Dawn, I laughed so hard from that video :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    A 40's number does indicate a dose crease, but for us we have to get a few before decreasing Moonie's dose..She has trouble holding decreases.
    So so cute--Nova is doing terrific, & his momma bean is doing a great job!! :mrgreen:

14. CD and BigMac

CD and BigMac Well-Known Member

OMG, that video is so FUNNY! I replayed it about 4 times in a row. I may have to bookmark it for when I need another chuckle!

Oh, right, back on topic ... diabetes, Awesome numbers today!
    And I agree with D.

15. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Adorable video....I am so happy to have seen that!! SO cute! Thanks for sharing that with us Dawn...
    Nova is doing so great....and so are YOU!! :mrgreen:

16. Dawn & Nova

Ugh.. I don't know.. 14 cycles at 1U stuck in half blues and half greens.. seems that slightly less then 2 cycles in green isn't enough of a break for her to heal up enough to overcome the numbers she was getting?

And yeah she's freaking adorable isn't she!!! (such a proud mommy.. not that her or I have any control over that specific cuteness.. but I'm proud anyways! :) ).

Mucho thanks for all your support guys..and all the compliments on Nova's video.. I'll read them to her after her nap :).

17. D and Noisy

D and Noisy Well-Known Member

Remember, things change -- I'll hold with my 1u suggestion. Staying on top of the changes is the fun part.

18. Dawn & Nova

Okie, dokie, thanks!

19. Dawn & Nova

Before I tested Nova at PM+3.. I looked over her SS and said.. "Nova.. how about you give me a 72 or higher and then I can leave food out, try to get some sleep and get over this stupid flu".. (72 is a more round number in the world units my brain thinks in :) )..

Tada.. 72.. my Nova loves me :). Goodnight LL!

20. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

So cooperative, she is! :) Get some good rest tonight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.