8/5 Maggie AMPS 442; +4 331; +10 290

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Ann & Maggie11 (GA), Aug 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Ann & Maggie11 (GA) Well-Known Member

Maggie 8/4

Morning :coffee: :coffee: I overslept by an hour, and it really threw me off! A little high today for Mags, but under the circumstances with everything happening, not surprising. I may have done a fur shot at the pm, as I felt I didn't get a good shot even though I didn't smell any juice. Mags is about the same, and she's still good at taking the Wellness with the food syringe. She really fights me with the pilling though. I did manage to get her blood pressure pill down. The Pepcid is another difficult one. Thank goodness the A/B is liquid and also the Cisapride.

I've been having some computer problems over the weekend, and talking to a friend, I think I may have a virus(s). Any time I visit my nieces and friends on FB, I get these strange E-mails with a link for some crazy ad! They are sent by known friends, only the friend hasn't really sent me anything in checking with them. I never open these links and send to SPAM. I need to do some clean-up, tune-up, etc, my Norton. It definitely is part of the problem in slowing down my computer.

This is definitely an Elsa Lil Bit need my coffee day. :coffee: Can't wait to see our little Elsa. Have a nice Monday.
    Thanks for the visits I missed last evening, Amy, John, Barb, Michelle, and Liz, thanks for explaining the use of Zantac and Miralax with Zener.

2. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

Re: 8/5 Maggie AMPS 442

You probably really needed the rest! I'm glag Mags is taking to the assist feeding without an issue...the girl has to eat! One time Trix needed Pepcid and I am NO good with pills, so I ended up crushing it up mixing it with a teeny bit of water, and syringing it. I don't know if that's the greatest method for getting Pepcid in, but it did work for her - although it obviously does taste nasty.

Hopefully you can get your computer problems straightened out without too much trouble. We're still sending tons of prayers for you and Maggie!

3. Melissa & Tarragon

Melissa & Tarragon Well-Known Member

Come on down Maggie. Healing vines for your sweet girl. Oy on the syringe feeding. Tarragon hates that and will not tolerate it. ((((Ann)))) Thinking of you.

4. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Thanks Amy for the prayers and vines. I did the crushing thing of the Pepcid last night, and the look on her face told me it must have been quite nasty. She wanted more water immediately. It did work though. I may have to resort to it again.

Thanks Melissa, just saw you up there. She's very good at the food syringe, but I have a feeling she might not be too crazy with the new Wellness were she to eat it on her own, hard to tell though. These are definitely not Maggie numbers.

5. Amy&TrixieCat

Actually, since she's doing OK with the Wellness syringing, maybe you could mix the crushed Pepcid with a teeny little food instead of water, to try and mask the yuckiness.

And, now that you mention it...Trix has been having some of the new Wellness, too, and her numbers are a bit higher than normal. I know that's not the only factor with Maggie's numbers, but I wonder if it's a contributing factor....maybe something is different in the formula that is affecting our carb sensitive girls....

6. Josie & Ripley (GA)

Josie & Ripley (GA) Well-Known Member

Come down, sweet Maggie.
    Ann, I does sound like you needed the extra sleep.
    I crush Ripley's pepcid and roll it around in a tiny piece of pill pocket, then cover that with freeze dried treats. It's like a sushi roll treat! But if you're syringing food anyway, Amy's idea makes sense. Maybe worth a try?
    Sending many, many vines and hugs to you and Mags, ((Ann))!

7. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

Hi guys .. I'm just now catching up on everything you have been going through! I wish I would have known so I could of added in my get better soon thoughts too! But you have them now and I really do hope that sweet maggie starts feeling much much better .. Give her some scritches from us!!

8. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Re: 8/5 Maggie AMPS 442; +4 331

+4 331
    A little better.

Amy, thanks and excellent idea with the syringing the Pepcid with some food. Interesting on the Wellness and Trix's numbers. The carageenan maybe, although it's probably in a lot of their food.

Josie, your sushi roll treat sounds tempting. :D Thanks for the hugs and vines.

Devon, many thanks for your support and vines. Mags just took a turn for the worse the past few days all of a sudden with no appy, and, of course, the darn Megacolon is a real burden on her body with it being more difficult to control and help her with a bm. Her diabetes was almost regulated before, but the renal disease and all just thre everything off balance.

9. Amy&TrixieCat

I'm glad to see Maggie is working her juice without cliff-diving. Good job, little girl!!!

10. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

Good start, miss Maggie! Keep on coming down. Good luck w/ the assist feeding. I've learned not to clean Tess up when I've had to do it, she will clean herself and get a little extra food in in the process! ;-)

Ann, have you tried Wellness Core? Tess really likes the Beef, Venison and Lamb and it is even lower in Phosphorus than the Turkey. As for the carrageenan, it was in the old Wellness Turkey too, so that shouldn't be effecting numbers. I still have an old small can and I looked at the ingredients, there it was!

11. Deborah & Shasta

Deborah & Shasta Well-Known Member

I'm still so impressed that Maggie is good with the syringe feeding. I hope she continues to slide down today. Sending healing vines and firmer poo vines to the sweet Maggie. Sorry you overslept. I HATE when I oversleep on work days...throws off the whole day. Hope your day gets back on track!

12. mariko

mariko Well-Known Member

Hi Ann,
    I'm sorry to hear Maggie's still not feeling so well.
    It's good she doesn't mind the syringe-feeding.
    Mixing Pepcid in a bit of food is a good idea, but I think it may be better to use food other than her regular food Wellness Turkey.

Lucy used to love Wellness Turkey.
    When she was on metronidazole for a while back in March, I always hid the pill in her food - Wellness Turkey.
    Medtronidazole tastes bitter, and she started associating Wellness Turkey and yuck.
    That's how I have had to change her food to Wellness Turkey&Salmon.
    She's slowly accepting Wellness Turkey now, but if Maggs has a good memory like Lucy does, maybe use the food she loves, but not the one you want her to eat all the time?

Sending lots of vines.

13. Barb & Checkers (GA)

Barb & Checkers (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Ann

What Mariko said, is why I never try mixing med with food anymore. When Checks was first dx'd, he was on ......oh, I can't remember the name......the pill some vets still use to reduce bg. I had to crush it and put in his food.

After a few times of tasting the med, Checks just refused to eat anything...he didn't trust any food for a while. I had to assist feed, to get him back on food and trust that it was good.

I'm so glad Maggie accepts the syringe feeding.

I hope she came down some more, since this morning.

14. Amy&TrixieCat

Excellent points from Mariko and Barb about crushing the pill and mixing it with food!

15. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

+10 290
    Mags is playing Rainbow Kitty today. Red to pink to yellow = green, someone once said!

Very interresting condo today on the mixing of meds with food from Mariko. This may be why Mags now won't eat the Gerber bf. Looking back, I think I crushed a Pepcid in it.
    Thanks for all the visits, vines and prayers for Mags. Amy, Deborah, Ann & Tess, Mariko, Barb & Checkers, and Amy.

Wow on both Mariko and Barb's experience with mixing of meds and their food. I remember the last enema I brought a can of maggie's foods, and the Vet mentioned not a good idea as then she would associate that food with the enema trauma.
    Ann, I did try a can of Wellness Core at one point, and Mags did a thumbs down, not sure of the flavor. Hwever, if I blended it, she might be okay with it.

Mags is resting comfortably in her doggie bed but is looking so tired. I should have the culture results back today/tomorrow. There's been no vomit or diarrhea, so that's good news. There's been no normal poo in a few days, but some spotting. She has allowed me to slowly clean her bottom with some baby wipes.

16. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

eating vines and poo vines and getting those pills down vines....
    Hope you get the results early tomorrow...

17. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

Detective Poo, checking on the Mags and sending poo vines. We give the Zantac in a bit of pill pocket, maybe 1/6 of a cat one. Zener is really good about eating them. If he has a little hesitation, we roll them around in fortiflora, which he loves. We sometimes give him "blank" pieces too, without any med. Hugs to you, Ann. You are doing a super job!
    Liz

18. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending good appy vines and poo vines to Maggie. I hope you can get all of her meds in her. I've read before that it's not a good idea to mix meds in a food they like because if it tastes bad, they won't eat that food any more. They can't tell the difference in food with or without the meds. They think it's just the food.

19. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Ann - sorry for the late visit. I hope you are doing well, and that Maggie had an OK day. Bummer on the possible fur shot last nght. I'm sorry too that pilling is becoming difficult. I went though that too. Mannie knew there was meds in his fuds, so I had to stop mixing it in. He just knew each time, wouldn't eat it. I finally ended up just getting them in him via manual insertion: open side, and down the hatch. Have you tried mixing it with water, and then giving via syringe? That worked for Mannie for a while. Wishing you much luck!

Sorry for the computer issues. Went through that too.

Hope you are sleeping.... or are yous till eh night owl?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.