3/25 Jake's AMPS - 388 PMPS - 434

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by breayle and jake, Mar 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. breayle and jake

breayle and jake Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10144

Hey everyone, here's Jakes number's for today (spreadsheet below), he's been kind of high lately and I did up his dose, might just up it again soon... however I have a question. Yesterday at his +11 I did a test to check his BG levels... and it was higher than his PMPS. I thought... POPPYCOCK! So literally two min later I checked his BG level again same ear... different spot and it was way lower. I thought it might be my tester (it's brand new and claims no coding required FreeStyle Lite is the name). So I checked it on myself at work today, started off at 120 then same hand (different finger) I got 116! Is this normal? Is my meter off? Or do they all work this way and that's the main reason you're supposed to test so much? Please, let me know... I'd hate to have to send my meter back to Walgreens.

Thanks, hope all is well today! MEOW!

-Breayle and Jake confused_cat

2. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi - I'm no expert - but there is a variance in meters. mine does it all the time. The differences you are seeing are small, don't think you need to worry. I wanted to respond just to keep you up in the cue, so that those that do know can answer.

Hope Jake is well.

3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

There can be differences between numbers at the end of the cycle and PMPS like you described. It can be a double dip or numbers can be dropping. (Look at Gabby's SS from today. Her AM +10.5 is higher than her PMPS.) It's why if you have a low number at PS, you stall and wait to see if numbers will either surf or rise. It also depends on how big the difference is. A 120 and 116 are essentially the same number. There is roughly a 10 - 20% variance in meter readings due to normal measurement error.

I am very reticent to make any suggestions about dose. It looks like you are basing your dosing on pre-shot numbers. Lantus dosing is based on the lowest point of the cycle (nadir) and as such, really requires that you get mid-cycle tests. There is no way of knowing whether the 226 at yesterday's AMPS actually resulted in lower numbers at mid-cycle and the red PMPS was a bounce that resulted from the lower numbers. Without the spot checks, you can get into a cycle of raising doses when in reality, there are low mid-cycle numbers that might require a dose reduction. For an example, look at Gabby's SS from 11/02/09. She has reds at AMPS and PMPS but her +4 earned her a dose decrease. If I hadn't checked, in all likelihood, I would have increased her dose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.