9/22, Corduroy, Is my meter wacky?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by blove7, Sep 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blove7

blove7 Member

Good morning! :coffee:

Corduroy's AMPS was 110 this morning, to which I gave .10 units. Seems that he's been staying in the blues a lot (well, yesterday), so hopefully this is still a good sign. I feel like, as a general rule, his AMPS and PMPS has been gradually getting lower. It's been appearing that he's hungry for more food than I've been giving him, so I up-ed his foodage a little;) Other than that, he seems to be doing well, sleeping a lot, but doing well!

Hope everyone has a great, relaxing Sunday and that your kitties are "in the greens"...safely, of course!

Brigitte

2. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: 9/22, Corduroy, AMPS=110

I see your ss is starting to look much much better.
    Work that juice, Corduroy. :mrgreen:

3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: 9/22, Corduroy, AMPS=110

Nice numbers for Corduroy!! Remember, 50-130 is "normal" numbers for a diabetic cat and he's staying in those wonderful healing numbers the majority of the time now!

Wouldn't be at all surprised if you're doing an OTJ trial soon :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

As they say, you've come a long way baby!! :D

4. blove7

blove7 Member

Re: 9/22, Corduroy, AMPS=110, +2=97, +10=251. Why so high no

Hi Rhiannon & Shadow and Chris & China,

Ugh, I just checked Corduroy's +10 and it's a whopping 251! Does anyone know of why this could be? I rearranged the living room today and used the sweeper (loud). He always gets upset when I use that thing and he gets a little discombobulated when I rearrange things, but would that make his BG levels go up that high? I'm so disappointed :cry:

We've been through 10 cycles with the .10 dosage. Do you think that it's showing that it's not enough? However, I'm a little afraid to give him .25 again.

5. Chris & China (GA)

YES! Stress can cause BG to go higher than normal...that's why we are so big on home testing since going to the vets can add up to 200 points just due to stress. Having an unfamiliar person in the house, a strange dog walking by the window, and changing furniture around (and of course that big, noisy, cat eating machine)...these can all cause higher BG numbers.

I'd stick with the .1 for now and see if he comes back down after he's had a chance to calm down.

6. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

The other possibility is that Corduroy went lower than usual between that +2 and +10.
    It sounds like you were busy working. Did he show up asking for food? Or too busy hiding?

Each cat is different.
    I always thought mine was so stressed out going to the vet... being at the vet... and I've tested her while we were there and her numbers don't show it.
    You'd have to test during a stressful episode to confirm if the stress would do that for him.

I think you're more likely seeing a bounce because of a low bg in the middle of the day.

7. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Both scenarios that Chris and Rhiannon outlined are possibilities. By any chance, did you immediately re-test? it could also have been a bad test or a bad strip. In any event, see what Corduroy does over the next few cycles.

Oh. And remember -- cats do this sort of thing because they can!

8. blove7

blove7 Member

Hi ladies,

Well, now it seems we're having issues with our meter! So, the first time I tested him for his PMPS, it said, "E11," meaning it was an abnormal reading. The second time, it said 20. Then, just to compare, I tested my kitty Joe's BG level, and it was right on target at 51. I then tested Corduroy again and it was 195. I still gave him .10 because he's not acting, in any way, like he's hypo (it seems like if he were really 20, he would be showing something out of the norm). Also, it seems like 195 is more likely because at +10, he was 251. Has anyone else had an experience such as this?

Rhiannon, I definitely agree that every cat is different, but we had Corduroy's BG levels tested at the vet last week and it was sky-high. I think it was due to stress because when we got home, I tested him again and it was quite low, as it has been lately. Also, he actually runs from the sweeper once he thinks he can find a safe path (before he gets eaten ;-) ).

One last thing, I have been feeding him more (3 oz. instead of 2) at each feeding since last night. Could this also be a factor in that high BG level? Just an after-thought.

9. Chris & China (GA)

Actually, they can be at dangerously low numbers without showing any symptoms....the first symptom you see can be seizures so don't wait if you really think you've got a low reading....that being said, I agree that the 195 is much more likely considering his +10.

Sometimes there can be problems with an individual strip as well as the meter, so if you get a wonky number, try another strip.

10. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I use a Contour meter and I've had something similar happen. With some meters, if you test too closely together, the internal mechanism doesn't seem to clear.

11. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

Mine was weird once when the battery was getting low.
    A new battery made it all normal again and it didn't lose all it's saved info. ( not that I need it, I keep a spiral notebook with it all written down in case of internet woes)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.