12/23 Ozy AMPS-268,+10-341 dosing advice please

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by donaleen and Ozy, Dec 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. donaleen and Ozy

donaleen and Ozy Well-Known Member

2. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Re: 12/23 Ozy AMPS-268

Let's see how his day goes. Even though he is getting into some blue, we might want to be aggressive and up the dose a bit considering his IAA. And also remember, we could still be seeing a little lantus depot.

Of course, that also needs to be tempered with the holidays. If you have lots planned, we shouldn't try to be aggressive.

I'm going to hope he sees some nice green numbers today. Come on Ozy!!!

3. donaleen and Ozy

Thanks, Marje. Our holiday is pretty quiet. Not going further than the neighbor's and then only for a short time and easy to stop back home.

I do have one question. I have been testing him every two hours because of the insulin switch. Can I ease off a little? His ear is getting pretty battered.

Our priority right now is Ozy. We want to do the best we can to control his diabetes and get ahead of the antibodies.

4. Marje and Gracie

Yes, I'd give him a bit of a break. His lantus depot should be dwindling and I doubt his lev depot has really started to fill that fast. Give yourselves some time to just cuddle with Ozy. Maybe test at +4 or so. How does that sound? If he's still up, give him a few more hours.

5. donaleen and Ozy

And now at +10 he is mid pink. Raise it or hold it? If I raise, do I go up .5 units like I was for Lantus (otherwise it made no difference)?

6. Marje and Gracie

I definitely would increase his dose because you "might" find you have to go up to or past his lantus dose. Because of his IAA, my instinct would be to have you increase by 0.5u because you monitor so much. If you decide to do that, please keep an eye on him (you don't have to test every two hours but get some good spot checks like a +4 to start and then go from there....you might need to test a bit more often after he onsets (if he does tonight). And I'd be sure and get a +10/+11 so you know what to expect for AMPS. I've found with Gracie that a +10 is really valuable because she usually takes a big drop between +10 and PS.

Good luck with the increase. I won't be around tonight but I'll check in tomorrow.

7. donaleen and Ozy

Thanks. Just the information I needed. I hope you are doing something really fun.

8. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

i agree with marje's suggestion to increase the dose. it's nice that this is being a fairly smooth transition from the lantus to the lev, but it'd be nice to see him a little bit lower. you do a fantastic job of taking care of him, donaleen.

you are using the neosporin ointment with pain relief, aren't you? that makes the pokies far more tolerable.

9. donaleen and Ozy

Hi Julie. Thanks. You are so wonderfully kind.

No, not using the neosoporin...I've tried it and various other creams such as California Baby but it leaves such a residue that the next time poke is affected and doesn't form a drop. I will try again.

10. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I've had the same problem with getting a drop to form on Furball's ear if I put too much Neosporin on. I just try to wipe her ear off with a piece of paper towel before I poke if it seems there's too much there and that seems to work.

11. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

i did what Carla is describing. we put quite a bit on at night, then wiped it off in the morning and it replaced using the slick of vaseline and it kept the blood drop from soaking into the skin or hair.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.