03/04 J.D. PMPS 565 - Baytril Question

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Dyana, Mar 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Yesterday's Condo

Last Night:
    502 PMPS
    255 +7
    544 +11

Hopefully J.D. will slide down nice and easy today.
    I got him up at +11 this morning, and did not give him Pepcid. I gave him some cypro just before AMPS. He ate a bit of food and then threw up. I gave him some more cypro and some Ondansetron. I still need to get him to eat some more before I leave for work.

We should get J.D. test results today. Fingers crossed they are better.

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: 03/04 J.D. AMPS 536

I hope J.D.'s tummy feels better and he eats for you this morning. I hope you get good b/w results back today.

3. Cleo & Jane (GA)

Cleo & Jane (GA) Well-Known Member

Fingers and paws crossed for a good vetty report. I will be interested to see what his BP is, as my vet felt that Cleo's was getting high. But that was when she was in for her dental, and she was majorly stressed.
    Come on down J.D. Let's have a gentle slide today, please~

$19 for one blood test. And they wonder why people cannot afford to go to the vet's regularly :shock:

Have a good day, Dyana :smile:

4. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Shawna & Davidson (GA) Well-Known Member

Davidson is sending some of his good vibes your way........should arrive shortly due to the distance, but they will come.

Yes, some Vets are crazy with their prices. Davidson got his teeth cleaned and it was approx $150 for the usual not incl. anything extra like extractions............now it's Harley's turn and the other Vet wants $400 for the same thing. CRAZY! I guess it's not regulated like human Doc's are here so they can charge what they want. I was only charged $10 for a BG test which I thought was outrageous for 5 seconds of work, but now I see your price and thought I had it good.

Here's to having a great day!! ;-)

5. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

Hi guys .. awww, hugs to J.D., he seems to be having some rough days lately .. I hope his tummy is feeling better, he comes down to lower numbers, and blood work levels come back looking nicer ..

6. Rachel & Chyna (GA)

Rachel & Chyna (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope J.D. is eating, and sliding for you today while you are gone :D . I hope he's feeling better now. Paws crossed and positive thoughts for the test results!

7. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Re: 03/04 J.D. AMPS 536 - heard from vet

His RBC has gone from 5.95 to 6.37 and she said that the other numbers out of range fell into place, and his HCT rose to 35.3. She said to retest in 2 months.

I asked about the urinalysis and she said it looked like a little infection (I'm obviously not good at quoting verbatim) and with his occasionally peeing on the floor that we should try the Orbax for 2 weeks on 1 month off 2 weeks on 1 month off and see how he does on that regimen. I told her that J.D. was making the most awful faces on his cute little face when I gave him the Orbax liquid and she said that he could have the pills. So that's good. I hated seeing his face all scrunched up, eyes closed, and tossing his head from the yuckiness of the liquid.

I'll pick up the meds. and paperwork on my way home from work.

8. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

Paws crossed the ABs do the trick for JD. The kitties will be over soon to help get that "vetty" smell off.

9. Cleo & Jane (GA)

Cleo & Jane (GA) Well-Known Member

Yippee on numbers falling into normal range :smile: Glad they were able to give you the AB in pill form - hope it helps :D

10. Tara & Buster

Tara & Buster Well-Known Member

Hope that does the trick for sweet J.D. I'm often amazed at how many different expressions cats have. They definitely get the point across!

11. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm glad J.D.'s numbers fell into normal ranges. I hope the AB helps J.D.

12. lovey11

lovey11 Well-Known Member

I am happy that J.D. 's numbers are fell back in the normal range. Has J.D taken that AB before. I hope it works well for him.

13. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

Great news! I hope the AB helps, too. Have a great night, Dyana!

14. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

Great news!

15. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I came home from work late at PMPS +.25 and J.D. had his head in a bowl and was licking it clean as all the four bowls in the house were licked clean.

I tested, fed, and gave him his shot and went back out to get the paperwork and antibiotics.

When I was looking at the paperwork it says "no crystals, no casts, low grade urinary tract infection; consider chronic use antibiotics - 2 weeks on, 4 weeks off" and then "prescibe: Baytril 22mg, 1 tablet by mouth once a day for 2 weeks, stop for 4 weeks, repeat".
    I know Baytril causes blindness. I did not know that Baytril and Orbax were the same thing. J.D. has been acting more blind lately. Are Baytril and Orbax the same thing?

I just got done writing and email to the vet stating that I do not want to give Baytril to J.D. and want to return it and get another antibiotic.

Have any of you had experience with Baytril, or Orbax?

16. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

This is the Urinallysis (free catch via vet into sterile cup) and Blood Pressure readings.

Urinalysis:
    specific gravity: 1.024
    leukocytes: 2+
    pH: 6.0
    blood: negative
    ketone: negative
    bilirubin: negative
    glucose: 3+
    bacteria: 3+
    WBC: 1+

BP readings:
    left front (leg) Systolic 181 Diastolic 155
    right front (leg) Systolic 120 Diastolic 81
    right front (leg) Systolic 136 Diastolic 112
    tail: Systolic 124 Diastolic 96

17. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Baytril generic is enrofloxacin and orbax is orbofloxacin. So they are not the same but they are in the same class of a/bs. Here is a comparison I found:

Baytril: Treats bacterial infections.
    Side effects of baytril:
    While generally safe and effective when prescribed by a veterinarian, enrofloxacin can cause side effects in some animals.
    Enrofloxacin should not be used in animals with known hypersensitivity or allergy to the drug.
    Enrofloxacin may interact with other medications. Consult with your veterinarian to determine if other drugs your pet is receiving could interact with enrofloxacin. Such drugs include antacid medications, iron supplements and some stomach protectants.
    Occasionally, some animals develop diarrhea or loose stools from enrofloxacin.
    Very rarely, enrofloxacin has precipitated some behavior changes or seizures in animals.
    Young animals treated with enrofloxacin may develop damage to the cartilage of their joints. Swollen joints and lameness are clinical signs that may be observed.
    Enrofloxacin should not be administered to puppies. Those between the ages of 4 and 28 weeks are the most susceptible.
    A rare but very serious adverse reaction – blindness – has been observed in cats treated with injectable enrofloxacin. When administering enrofloxacin to cats it is important not to exceed the manufacturer's recommended dose.

Orbax: Treats bacterial infections. Rapid absorption into the body; Low dosage means fewer tablets, and less expense.
    Side effects of Orbax:
    While generally safe and effective when prescribed by a veterinarian, orbifloxacin can cause side effects in some animals.
    Orbifloxacin should not be used in animals with known hypersensitivity or allergy to the drug.
    Orbifloxacin has a good safety record and adverse reactions are uncommon. Occasionally, some animals develop diarrhea or loose stools from orbifloxacin treatment.
    Young animals treated with orbifloxacin may develop damage to the cartilage of their joints. Swollen joints and lameness are clinical signs that may be observed. Accordingly, orbifloxacin should not be administered to puppies. Those between the ages of four and 28 weeks are the most susceptible.
    Orbifloxacin should be used with caution in dogs or cats with central nervous system abnormalities (such as seizures or epilepsy).
    Orbifloxacin may interact with other medications. Consult with your veterinarian to determine if other drugs your pet is receiving could interact with orbifloxacin. Such drugs include stomach protectants and antacids.

If you are giving Baytril at a low dose (22 mg daily), you shouldn't see a side effect of blindness. It's only at higher doses.

18. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

And, based on Marje's note, it looks like blindness is associated with an injection especially if the recommended doses are exceeded.

19. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Sienne is. Correct but in discussions with my vet (because Gussie was on a 6-week course of baytril at one time), she said she is always cautious even when giving orally.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.