4/17 Baby PMPS 68 +7 57

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Nicole & Baby, Apr 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

Happy Caturday, Furbaby Friends!!
    WCR Baby is purrrrrrfect! She has eaten her breakfast, plate of Raw & Wellness Chicken. Baby seems to be cleaning herself a lot lately - more than ever, but then again it could be that I have not obsessively sat & stared at her like I do these days. Baby has had playtime outside this morning & we are going to work hard on enjoying our weekend. Baby's Body continues to bless her & I will healthy #s & I am hopeful & happy.

:mrgreen: B :mrgreen: A :mrgreen: B :mrgreen: Y

Yesterday

2. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

Re: 4/17 Baby AMPS 72 +4 76

great WCR nicole! baby is doing great, and you take such great care of her! Enjoy the weekend!

3. carolynandlatte

carolynandlatte Well-Known Member

Good Morning Baby, Sadi, and Nicole!

I certainly hope your bean is giving herself SOME credit for all of the progress you are making!
    It is really fun to see.

My guess is you will not have to work too hard at enjoying your weekend. Just having your momma around is enough to make it easy! :mrgreen:

Hope the weather cooperates and you have some more playtime outside!

4. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

Beautiful Beautiful numbers today!! Looks like the good fairy of green numbers has taken up residence in your condo :lol: :lol:
    Great work by you Nicole, you are one amazing bean--Blessings & Happy Caturday!

5. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Happy Caturday!! Baby is having some loverly greens~~~heal Mr P. heal. She is liking this dose. Hope you can hold it for a while to keep the healing going. :mrgreen:

6. Nicole & Baby

Re: 4/17 Baby AMPS 72 +4 76 HEADED TO VET

Baby's obsessive cleaning was not my imagination.. found a draining absess on her, headed to Vet now.

7. paige

paige Well-Known Member

OMG! :sad: I'm sorry Nicole. Sending healing vines you way. I know you will keep us updated. Good luck!!!

8. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Please post an update when you get home. Good catch. You certainly know your cat!

9. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

ewwww, but good catch. Sending good vet visit vines...

10. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Good vet visit vines coming from J.D. and I, too.

11. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

Good catch, is she going to have a jazzy t-shirt?

12. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Lisa and Do Lou (GA) Well-Known Member

Hope the vet visit goes well post when you get back and let us know how she is doing :YMHUG: :YMHUG:

13. Nicole & Baby

Re: 4/17 Baby AMPS 72 +4 76 VET UPDATE (QUESTIONS TOO)

(((thanks, everyone!!)))
    Okay.. regular vet was not in office - had a fill in & here are the facts:
    1. Possible Anal sac abcess? Vet said it is more often seen in dogs - but cats can get them?
    2. Wound Treatment -Hair shaved & abcess (huge) cleaned out, blood is draining from it now & Baby continues to lick obsessively
    3. Antibiotic Injection Given - Baytril
    4. Baytril 20mg tablets will be given for 14 days (once a day)
    5. Weight 11lbs exactly (11.3 at DX)
    6. 103.9 temperature (Vet said it was probably higher a few days ago - suspects absess ruptured last night when I noticed her cleaning & that probably brought fever down)

Questions
    1. Wouldn't her #s have been higher with all this going on?
    2. Any concerns about the Antibiotic given?
    3. Any adjustments to her insulin needed?

(((Thanks))) soooooooo happy I caught this quickly!!

14. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

I would have thought numbers would have been higher but it sounds like the infection hadn't hit her bloodstreem. (Think of it like a deep zit. It doesn't make us feel sick.) Unless Baby's numbers change, I'd leave the insulin alone. If the infection was effecting BG, once the AB goes to work -- which will be soon with an injection -- numbers could drop so be extra attentive. Also, take a look at Scrabble's SS. He's had an abscess, as well, and there was minimal or no effect on numbers. I don't recall anyone having problems with Baytril but I'm sure if there's a concern, someone will let you know. You can always pose the question on Health.

15. Libby and Lucy

Baytril means it's a good time to exercise your inner testaholic. :mrgreen: It *could* raise her numbers. It also *could* cause her numbers to drop quickly as the infection clears. Don't let her get ahead of you, I would think a drop is pretty likely.

Did they say anything about getting an e collar to keep her from licking it? They make some cute soft collars now that aren't as obtrusive as the plastic satellite dishes.

16. Nicole & Baby

Thanks, Sienne & Libby for the fast reply (as always!)
    He seemed to not be concerned with her licking it - he said it will not harm her, she had one about 6 years ago & licked that one too (no issues)
    So.. I will just let her clean herself as she wants (gross - but whatever - least of my concerns!!)
    She has eaten a plate of Raw since being home & I do not dare test her right now.. I do not want to see what Vet Stress she had :shock:

17. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

Re: 4/17 Baby AMPS 72 +4 76 VET UPDATE anal absess

Flag down Hillary, I think she went through this with Maui. There are a couple of others that have experience with anal sac issues, too.

You might want to get ahold of some probiotic - forti flora, if you can get it, or a human probiotic if you can't. It will help keep the good bacteria in her gut replenished.

18. CD and BigMac

CD and BigMac Well-Known Member

Glad Baby is doing ok now. That was a quick discovery and treatment; awesome job, Nicole!
    And what lovely numbers Baby's been having these days, very exciting.

19. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

awww poor baby! But what a good momma you are to catch it and get it taken care of before it does anything serious. Hope you feel better soon baby!

20. Nicole & Baby

Re: 4/17 Baby AMPS 72 +10 49 (on Baytril now)

If BG #s were affected by Vet Stress it has cleared now +10 49, this could be an interesting next few weeks.

21. Libby and Lucy

hmm, better stock up on test strips. :mrgreen:

22. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

23. Amy and Six

Amy and Six Well-Known Member

Nicole...great catch!!!! Poor Baby. Talk about a wild couple of weeks for your girl.

Fingers crossed her wound clears up nicely and quickly. (((((Baby)))))

24. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

Missed a lot today Nicole
    So glad you were able to get Baby into the vet so quickly.
    Senidng healing vine to your little girl and a nice easy surf
    with her numbers. I know we don't have to tell you to watch her.
    You alwasy do an amazing job at that.

25. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Michelle & Scrabble (GA) Well-Known Member

HI Nicole
    Well I definetly have had experience with an absess!!! We are on baytril too, we just finished day 7, 1 more week to go. The ab have not affected his numbers at all. We are on liquid that the vet had to call in special for us. I had to worry about Scrabble licking the area since he had stitches and it is on his flank so he could reach it. The absess he had was nasty and had to be opened and cleaned, the vet did a baytril injectable too. So hence the t-shirt he has been wearing. Glad you caught it right away!!!! Hopefully the ab won't affect her numbers, I was scared when we first went on them because I had heard that it could possibly affect the numbers but it didn't thank God. Hope the infection clears soon!!!

26. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Hope Baby gets well soon :YMHUG:

27. carolynandlatte

Hi Nicole,
    Glad baby is okay (relatively speaking). You may notice some upset tummy with baytril. Thats where the forti flora may come in handy. Otherwise you should be fine. Hope the rest of the weekend is easy to enjoy!

28. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

Thank heavens Baby has the best mama bean!!!! Sending waves of healing vines. And oodles of hugs!!!

29. Nicole & Baby

Re: 4/17 Baby PMPS 68 (on Baytril now)

:YMHUG: thanks, everyone - today has been emotionally trying on me & physically on her. It helps to read your support & words of encouragement. Thankfully, I have Fortiflora on hand from a few months ago when trying to transition Baby from kibble to canned. However, these days she wants nothing to do with the Fortiflora "kitty crack" thankfully, I just gave her PM shot & some freeze dried chicken liver with Fortiflora sprinkled on top & she is eating it. I hope you all have a blessed evening, I am going to visit condos soon - have not had the time yet - don't give up on me..

30. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

Re: 4/17 Baby PMPS 68 (on Baytril now)

Poor little Baby!! I think now those numbers will get better after this--Sorry you had to go through this ordeal!
    You know my saying about set backs!! Sending Healing Hugs to Baby & You!!!

31. Nicole & Baby

Re: 4/17 Baby PMPS 68 +3 75 (on Baytril now)

I understand Baytril will raise her #s & it may take 24-48 hours to do so, but each time I test her, I am thankful for her greens.. despite her fighting temp & infection. Baby is a true Blessing & I am soo proud of her Body :mrgreen:

32. bettyandhank

bettyandhank Well-Known Member

Oh Nooooooo! Baby has a boo-boo. So great you were tuned in & caught it so quickly.

Yes, Baby is pretty amazing. Not much keeps her down. Michelle was sure worried about having Scrabble on AB's and the chance of it raising BG's, but I'm sure you kept up and saw it never really manifested. Your girl seems to be able to take on anything. Probably won't skip a beat. Guess it helps put those few slightly higher numbers earlier in the week into perspective. I bet those won't stick around once the infection is gone. A 49 today....again?! she is something else. My guess is a dosecrease in your very near future.

Lots of healing wishes to the baby girl. Hope she feels better soon!

:YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG:

~ betty

33. Nicole & Baby

Re: 4/17 Baby PMPS 68 +3 75 **Medical Question Please

Baby is not interested in anything except laying down. No interest in new cat furniture I just brought home, food, treats or going outside.
    Her head feels warm, do I need to be concerned? Or just allow the antibiotic to begin working? I do not have experience with temperatures in cats. I am just feeling so awful for her. Bless her heart :YMSIGH:

34. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi this does happen to Maui - it hasn't gotten as bad as bleeding.

What I did was 2-3 times a day, I would put and hold warm water compresses back there for about 5 minutes (or as long as she would allow). While Maui didn't like it, she did allow it, as the warmth seemed to help drain anything left in there.

I then tried to dry the area and put neosporin back there. The stuff the one vet sold was steroid based and I wasn't going there. So, neosporin was used instead - why they just didn't say that before I wasted $20 is beyond me.

Because I knew Maui would lick back there - I would put on the neosporin and give it a minute to settle in, then wipe around the area so she wouldn't ingest it.

Now that I know what it looks like, I check her to make sure she's clear. I also try to keep her rear area shaved - not so much because of this, as she does tend to have dirty bum and I need to clean it several times a week (that's when I can check her too). I have seen it happen to her a couple times since and instead of rushing to the vet, I pop it, like a zit and follow the same process above.

It is painful to them, especially if it's really close to the anus and when they go, it's aggravated.

The only thing I heard about baytril is that it can cause blindness. Now before getting worried, I suggest you research this to be sure. I read this on health a while back and did not see any research backing it up. That's all I know about, except, we have used that drug here too.

35. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

100.5 to 102.5 is the normal range for a cats temp do you have a rectal thermometer where you can take it to see if she is higher then your earlier post, sounds like she is feeling really bad from the infection plus she has had stressful day plus fever will make them lay around I need to go bk and look at your other post did she get a antibiotic shot while she was there by chance? Ok just looked and see you did get a baytril injection I would take her temp if I were you just to see how high she is but baytril should kick in by morning to make her feel better :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG:

36. Amy and Six

Amy and Six Well-Known Member

I agree with Do Lou. I would take her temp if she lets you...it gives you a reference and if it's not going down tomorrow you could always put a call in to/visit the vet. If she isn't feeling well, it's not surprising she's so lethargic. Just keep a close eye on her and keep posting to see what others think.

37. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

I would encourage you to post on health. She may simply be having a bit of a stress reaction from being at the vet. I'm assuming they used some anesthesia so they could open the abscess and this all may be a reaction. My other concern would be that the ABs haven't kicked in and by opening the abscess, the infection may have gotten into Baby's blood. Once the level of AB is high enough, she should start feeling better but it could take a while and you don't want the infection to get ahead of the ABs. You could always PM Jess/Earl and ask her to read your condo.

38. Libby and Lucy

Did your vet say anything to you about side effects of the Baytril? Is there anybody at the vet's office you can call and ask?

You have good instincts, do you think she's just tired or having a tummy ache from the AB, or do you think there might be something else going on?

39. Nicole & Baby

(((thanks, everyone!!!))) She just seems not interested in food again or anything.. her head is cooler now & she has gotten up & walked around.. maybe I am being paranoid? I will stay up tonight with her - no side effects were mentioned by Vet, I know Sienne said maybe she might get an upset tummy - I will watch her, just nervous with insulin if she does not eat? The vet did shave the area, there appears to be no drainage & it looks clean?

40. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Hope she feels better in the morning call your vet if she appears to get worse overnight :YMHUG:

41. Nicole & Baby

Re: 4/17 Baby PMPS 68 +3 75

Thanks, Lisa.. I do not have a thermo to take her temp... if she feels warm again.. I will make a run tonight & get one..
    Quick question.. I don't think she has used the Litter Box today.. when should I get concerned? She has eaten/drank

42. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Re: 4/17 Baby PMPS 68 +3 75

The fever can be so draining on a cat so she may or may not I would not worry a lot unless she does not go by morning she may not have drank enough to feel up to going cats can hold their pee a long time. If you get a thermometer get a rectal digital that reads the temp really fast thats the kind of have so quick when you need to know the temp

43. Nicole & Baby

Re: 4/17 Baby PMPS 68 +3 75 **One More Medical Question

Hilary made a point about blindness (thank you) I just googled it & it appears true.. I am thinking I should not give the antibiotic tomorrow & have them give me amoxicllin?

44. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

I think the best thing you can do is to trust your gut and not second guess yourself. If you think Baby is fine, you will know. If your stomach is hurting and you're worrying, err on the side of caution.

45. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear about Baby's infection. WE were gone all day and just started to catch up.

You are a great mamabean Nicole and will take such good care of her as always. Hugs and scritches. I hope Baby feels better soon.

46. carolynandlatte

Hi Nicole,
    I was aware of the blindness issue when you mentioned the a.b, so I googled before I said anything. I am posting from my phone at the moment and cant provide the link. But my understanding is that the blindess is most likely to occur in high doses and/or long term use. It seemed as if your vet gave you the lowest potentially effective dose (thanks for providing babys weight in one of your posts).. This is why I did not say anything. Didnt want to scare you.

IMHO, the benefits outwiegh the risks to continue giving it at least until you reach the vet and can get a switch, if thats what you want to do. It sounds like baby is miserable and skipping a dose might make her feel worse. She needs to be able to poop or you are looking at a larger problem on top of what you have.

Please do post on health, take sienne,s suggestion of pm,ing Jess. and maybe give a shout out to Linda/Bear Man. I think she used baytril with him for a long time (tho he is already blind).

Hang in there kiddo!

47. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

there's a time and place for using every antibiotic, including baytril. talk to your vet.
    i hope baby feels better in the morning...

48. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

((Nicole)) sending good vines for Baby to feel better very soon.

49. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Michelle & Scrabble (GA) Well-Known Member

Hey Nicole! Just got home from work and read your condo. I too was concerned with baytril because I had read the blindness thing too and I am a worry wart!!! Are you on the pills? My vet had the pharmacist put it in liquid form for me so it would be easier, we are on 2ml twice a day.I know Baytril doses are based on the weight of your cat. Scrabble has had no effects from the ab at all. His poops have been normal, I have used forti flora a couple of times just to put the good bacteria back into his body. We have had no problems with it thank God but I know every cat is different! I know it is a strong ab but with Scrabble's case the strain of bacteria he had in his absess was really bad so the vet wanted to make sure we got it all killed off. After the surgery he was on clavamox but the vet said it was resistant to the particular bacteria. Did your vet take a culture of the fluid from the absess? It took about 3 days for us to get the result and that is how he determined what ab Scrabble needed to be on. Like I said, we have had no problems with it and I was petrified of it in the beginning. We have 5 days left! Good luck! Hope Baby's fever comes down. Scrabble didn't have one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.