8/8 Bobby AMPS 271 +2.5 164 +5 168 +7 150 +11 260 Help Dose

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by jucova30, Aug 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jucova30

jucova30 Member

Today Bobby's AMPS 271 With the advice of wonderful people in this site I went ahead and gave .25 unit for today morning shot. How often should I be testing his BG to have an idea how he is reacting to the insulin?. This is yesterday treat

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=123105

Thank you in advance for any advice

Carl & Judy

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: 8/8 Bobby AMPS 271

Good morning!

Great work on the spreadsheet by the way!

I love to get a +2 when I can because I call it my "crystal ball" test. If the +2 is lower than the pre-shot, it's a good clue that you should get more tests in during that cycle because Bobby might be have a very active cycle.
    If it's about the same as the Pre-shot, you can usually expect a "normal" cycle, where the numbers gradually go down until about mid-cycle and then start to climb again.
    If it's higher than the pre-shot, that can indicate they might be starting a bounce.

Get another test in somewhere between +5 and +7. Most cats usually nadir about +6, but that varies from cat to cat (and sometimes varies from cycle to cycle). It's just too soon to know when Bobby's nadir is since you're just starting to collect data. ("nadir" is the point in the cycle where the insulin is working it's best, so the lowest number in the cycle)

If you can, get another test around +8 to +10......getting tests at different points in the cycle will help fill out your spreadsheet picture best. Think of your spreadsheet as a puzzle...if you only have pieces filled in on the edges or only down the middle, it makes it hard to see what the picture is.....if you have pieces filled in all over, it's easier to see the whole picture!

Vary your tests from cycle to cycle to help "fill in the blanks" as you go along.

3. jucova30

jucova30 Member

Re: 8/8 Bobby AMPS 271

Thank you Chris, He is ready for his + 2 but he just ate, would this make any difference?

4. jucova30

jucova30 Member

Re: 8/8 Bobby AMPS 271 +2.5 161

I just checked him + 2.5 161
    How is that after this short time he dropped more than 100? I did the best I could (my eyes let me) to get closer to the .25 unit .

5. Chris & China (GA)

Re: 8/8 Bobby AMPS 271 + 2.5 164

That's a pretty significant drop

It's fine if he ate, but you might want to give him a little more now and see if you can slow him down a little. Those fast drops like that can just set them up to bounce, so it might help if you can slow down the drop some

What carb percentage are you feeding?

6. jucova30

jucova30 Member

More food? he is asking for it every hour.

7. jucova30

jucova30 Member

He is eating Wellness Kitten formula 5 % carb and he is getting some from the other cats plate Fancy Feast Classic 4 %.carb
    Yes last night he bounced in 4 hour more than 200. I only have dry food 30% carb.

8. Chris & China (GA)

When they drop low (or drop quickly) a lot of times they'll want to eat. It's their body's way to try to control it's blood glucose

You might want to look into getting some higher carb foods (like 8-10%) to try to smooth out those big drops.

He's safe at 164...we just don't want him to continue dropping 55 points per hour if we can slow it down some

When we say to feed a little, we're usually meaning just a teaspoon or so.

9. jucova30

jucova30 Member

Yes, we are feeding him a little a spoon every time he ask for. As soon stores are open DH will go and get some Healthy Indulgence pouches
    with 9 % carb

10. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

have him get 3-5 cans of a fancy feast gravy lovers, or a friskies with gravy. more gravy the better! those are high carb - over 18% is best, higher carb is more effective than lesser, although you'll just end up giving more gravy if it's not as high carb.

that's what you'll want to use if he gets below 50. if you don't have it, that's ok, you can use a karo syrup, honey, maple syrup product.

what chris is talking about is a higher level within the low carb category - you can slow drops as she's describing with that.

i'd get a +4, so a test 4 hrs after this morning's shot.

11. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

Good Morning :coffee: :cool:

Great job on the ss - it makes it much easier to get the entire 'lay of the land' at a glance.
    Interesting that Bobbys BG did not skyrocket.

:?: When you shot this morning, how many hours had passed since the previous shot?

I'm also curious why you feed him kitten food - how old is Bobby and what is his weight? Why do you feed him every 2 hours?
    Are there any other health issues he has?

I agree with Julies recommendation about getting high carb food >18% . Anyone using insulin should have it on hand just in case.
    Always be prepared ;-)

How is Bobby toady? Here at the FDMB we have a short check list we call the '5 Ps' and the 5 Ps make up the WCR (whole cat report).
    The 5 Ps are Purring, Playing , Peeing, Pooping and Preening. :lol:

You guys are doiing great. Hang in there- and hang in here :cool:

12. jucova30

jucova30 Member

Hi Sandy and Julie,
    We are going to the store to get high carb food.
    The reason why I am feeding him the kitten formula is because after so many tries on flavors low carb wet food that is the only flavor and formula he would take it (we are talking about a kibble addict cat) I tried for many years to change his diet to wet food but we failed, and this time I was determine to succeed, so he is taking this flavor. I started feeding him every 2 hours very small portions because he will get so exhausted trying to eat wet food he needed to learn how to eat wet food and little by little and patient he is getting it, before yesterday we were feeding every 4 hours ( is getting easier for him to eat wet and he is eating more at one time)but since yesterday he seems so hungry again and asking for food every hour.
    He is a male Tabby gray 9 years old cat and 10 pound ( he was 11 lbs before he got sick ). He is going to potty normal pee ok, poop a little loose
    This is where we are so far
    AMPS 271 .25 unit
    + 2.30 164
    + 5 168

13. jucova30

jucova30 Member

Re: 8/8 Bobby AMPS 271 + 2.5 164 +5 168

14. Sandy and Black Kitty

Re: 8/8 Bobby AMPS 271 + 2.5 164 + 5 168

If the only wet food he will eat is kitten food then kitten food it is! :cool:
    I think kitten food may be higher in fat, which may explain the "pudding poo"

When a kitties BG is high, they become hungry. Not enough insulin means that not all the energy from food can make it to the cells of his body. So kitty looks for more food.
    As things level out so will his appetite and he will gain back his lost weight in time. Please make a note in the remarks column or somewhere on your ss that he eats xxoz every 2 hours. That is important to know and consider when making dosing decisions.

For now, it looks like he is safely surfing. The goal is to safely arrive at a Lantus dose that you can shoot every 12 hours consistently. Once that is achieved you will be able to determine nadir (lowest BG in a cycle) and next steps.

Keep in mind that Lantus dose is primarily based on nadir with some consideration given to PS.

Looking good. Hold steady.

eta -When you shot this morning, how many hours had passed since the previous shot?

15. jucova30

jucova30 Member

Re: 8/8 Bobby AMPS 271 +2.5 164 +5 168 +7 150 +11 260 Help

Thank you Sandy for the info. I just tested his BG and he is up again. :? after 1 hour of his last meal + 11 260
    This is how it looks today (3er day in Lantus)
    8/8/14
    AMPS 271
    + 2.5 164
    + 5 168
    + 7 150
    +11 260
    Question: How long should I hold the .25 unit dose? This morning I got scared when he drop so much in a 2 1/2 h
    Thank you so much for any help

16. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

you should continue to hold the dose.

from the Tight Reg Protocol sticky:
    he's doing just fine for starting out!

17. jucova30

jucova30 Member

Ok thank you Julie, in 5 days I go back to work I will have to hold this dose until next weekend so I can be at home the whole day to monitor him

18. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Let's wait and see how Bobby is doing before you make any decisions about whether to change his dose. One thought -- once you're back at work, will you be able to get any tests in after his AMPS test? Sometimes, moving a shot time so it gives you a chance to get some early tests in can be very reassuring!

19. Sandy and Black Kitty

Hi there :cool:

You may have caught a food spike - no worries.

I'll add my voice to the 'hold the dose' chorus.
    With Lantus you want to focus on how low he goes on any given dose. And due to the long acting cumulative nature of Lantus you need to string together several days at the same dose before making a judgement as to whether you should increase, hold or decrease.

Bobbys body is in a period of change - the diet alone is huge. As long as all 5 Ps are present, go with the flow.
    Take it one shot/cycle at a time. The numbers will be your guide.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.