4/18 - Nova - AMPS=72, PMPS=104, +2=86, +3=70, +6=67

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Dawn & Nova, Apr 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dawn & Nova

Dawn & Nova Well-Known Member

yesterday's condo

Nova isn't feeling well today at all.. I was up all night with her.. around PM+8 she ran towards the litter box.. but didn't make it and had this super nasty barf.. so amazingly disgusting that I wasn't entirely sure which end it came out of.. but I'm going with barf because of the noises I heard right before hand... even though my nose figures it was the other end.. didn't see any evidence on her backside.. Not really sure how there was still so much food in her tummy at that point.. she hadn't eaten for about 4 hours.. got her to eat 1/4 can a while after the barf..

She hasn't said a single word this morning :(.. she volunteered for testing.. ate her treats.. had some breakfast.. came by and looked at me after breakfast.. but no meow.. not a single one :(.. her fur feels kinda nasty too.. she's really restless.. can't decide on a place to lay, licking her lips a lot like she did most of the night and her nose is going a mile a minute still..

Going to go lay near her some more.. few feet away.. so she knows I'm there and love her, but isn't mad that I'm too close..

2. Amy and Six

Amy and Six Well-Known Member

Re: 4/18 - Nova - AMPS=72

So what's the deal with Nova? This kind of thing happen before? I saw she has digestive damage. When's the last time you saw her poo?

3. Marvie and Tugger

Marvie and Tugger Well-Known Member

{{{Dawn}}} You must be worried sick about your girl. {{{Dawn}}}

4. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh Nova....we hope you feel better soon sweetie....HUGS to you both! :YMHUG:
    Keep us posted, k?

5. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

Nice number for Nova but I really hope she feels better Dawn.
    Such a good mommy to lie with her.
    Hugs.

6. Dawn & Nova

Re: 4/18 - Nova - AMPS=72, +2=58

She's kept her PM+8 and AMPS meals down so far.. she's not licking as much but still a little bit.. I laid down with her in the basement for the last hour or so.. sang to her for most of it.. she meowed 3 times.. that made me pretty happy..

She won't poo with an audience.. and she's a once every day or two poo sort of gal.. so I don't catch it often.. probably haven't seen her poo in weeks.. and since she doesn't bury it.. Jerry is usually pretty quick behind her to clean it up.. (he considers one of his primary jobs, guard dogging the house and litter box maintenance).. pretty tough to tell what's coming from which cat.

She throws up relatively regularly.. but mostly regurgitation.. not very often for the full on nasty barfs..

Her bgs sure aren't much of a telling tale on how she's feeling.. that's for sure.. she just ate another snack.. I'll test her in an hour.. then hopefully I'll be able to leave her for a little bit.. almost out of strips/lancets.. thought I had another box of each but I was wrong :(.

7. Dawn & Nova

Re: 4/18 - Nova - AMPS=72, +2=58, +3=56, +4=59

Well.. can't ask for more of a surf than that.. she was squeeking a little bit while I was getting ready too.. gave her a "Nova bath" (soak her down with water and brush her).. and she purred through the whole thing.. she's still pretty quiet for her.. but I opened the window upstairs next to the cat tree in my room that she's laying on.. so she can watch the outside world, get some fresh air, and hopefully get some rest.

Leaving out food of course.

8. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Dear Nova, I want you to feel better! I've picked a bouquet of healing vines for you. Would you like me to cook you some chicken soup?

Stu

P.S. great numbers!

9. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

hope nova is feeling better...

10. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Lisa and Do Lou (GA) Well-Known Member

Sure hope Nova gets to feeling better :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG:

11. Dawn & Nova

I gotz an accu-chek aviva nano! It's so cute! :)

12. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

Re: 4/18 - Nova - AMPS=72, +2=58, +3=56, +4=59, +7=90

Good numbers for Nova, but I'm sorry she's feeling crummy. I hope the bath and the open window help her to feel a little more like herself. I bet she liked you lying near her and singing, even if she didn't show it. Otherwise she would have run away, I guess. Sending healing vines for Nova and hugs for you. (((Dawn)))

13. Dawn & Nova

Re: 4/18 - Nova - AMPS=72, PMPS=104 - dose?

So I've spent a decent amount of time reading the german forum.. through google translator.. I want to give the sneaking down method a shot with Nova.. it's relatively common over there (as is not following the protocol at all haha).. doing itty bitty reductions even if you don't see the 40s numbers.. or a week+ of numbers <100...

Anyhoo.. here's one of the cats that is close to Nova numbers wise.. did reductions down to 0.80 based on lows.. and has since been sneaking itty bits at a time down to 0.4.. up to 0.5.. back to 0.4:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key= ... kdVE&hl=de

Nova's decrease to 0.90 both times was likely premature.. but her numbers have over the last month improved a teeny tiny bit.. whether it's the food, inconsistent dosing on my part, the weather, phase of the moon, or actual pancreas healing I don't know..

Worse case is.. it doesn't work.. and back up we go.. at the current rate we're not on OTJ trial until 2047 or something anyways.. what's an extra week or two.

I think I may have inadvertently being doing it anyways.. playing with a syringe today.. my 0.90 may have migrated to a 0.80 but I'm not sure when. So tomorrow I think I'll shoot a teeny bit less than what I'm shooting now..and call it 0.75 and see what happens.

Scream now or forever hold your peace! :).

14. Sarah and Buzz

Re: 4/18 - Nova - AMPS=72, PMPS=104

Carpe diem! I say that only from a cheerleading standpoint and not from a place of actual advice. ;)

You don't have until 2047 anyway, seeing as the world's going to end in 2012. Strike while the syringe is hot, and all that. :D

15. Traci and Boomer

Traci and Boomer Well-Known Member

Hi Dawn-

You're doing a great job with her! Laying in the basement and all. As soon as I read that I pictured you laying on a cement floor. :lol: Then I thought you were probably laying on something - hopefully. If I sang to my cat he'd probably run. :lol:

Just some 2 cents about dosing and syringes from my days of dosing .25 and fat zero. Counting the drops I think is the most accurate way to be consistant. I know that a .25 is 3 drops so to give a fat zero, I'd draw up a .25 and squeeze it out drop by drop to make sure, then draw it up again, squeeze out two drops then shoot the remaining. You wouldn't believe how many times the .25 dose changed with the syringe. Sometimes .25 was only ONE drop!!! Big difference. If I hadn't checked, god knows what I REALLY would have given him. Just something to think about with trying to keep your dose the same each time and REALLY knowing what you're giving her.

16. Jill & Alex (GA)

many of us have used the sneak down approach successfully over the last few years. it's especially useful with kitties who don't tend to "earn" reductions by dropping low. if you look at alex's 2009 levemir ss, you'll see another example of the sneak down approach...

17. Dawn & Nova

I was laying on a VERY thin carpet.. it wasn't comfortable.. but she has a cat bed in the corner of the basement she likes.. and there was nowhere comfy at close to her.. I'm still sore..

What's worse about the singing is that I sang the same thing over and over for over an hour.. a twisted mix up of that beautiful boy song.. "its time to go to sleep, and say a little prayer.. the monsters gone.. it's on the run..and your mommies here.. beautiful beautiful beautiful beautiful girl... beautiful beautiful beautiful beautiful Nova".. which I don't think is remotely how the real song goes..

I actually suspect based on http://romlin.com/jock/SyringeFineGradations/ that I've probably ALWAYS been shooting something closer to 0.85.. hard to figure out.. since I can't find pictures of "fine doses around 1U"..hehe .. and the single unit lines are bigger than the 1/2sies that all the pictures show.. I can see the line and the syringe fine.. just have no idea what to CALL it.. 0.75 I've found pictures of though..

And yeah there is a decent variance from needle to needle anyways.. so it's certainly not an exact science..

As for Nova.. as of +2 she still wasn't really talking (but still no barfs).. about 5 minutes ago she caught her "bird" and carried it from upstairs to the basement where she is now howling about her catch.. she's feeling better!!! I think I could cry.. and pass out for 3 days.

18. Dawn & Nova

Aha!! I knew I'd seen at least one around here!! Alex didn't have the blue bookend "issue" that Nova does.. and ran quite a bit lower than she does (which could be meters.. or just that Nova likes to run high.. or that this plan will be a dismal failure ;) )..... but still had the once in a while huh? number..

The thing that really tickles my brain about Nova.. well two things.. more recently.. with her PM blue PSs.. +2 and +3 are some serious movement.. maybe Nova's beta cells just don't get excited at as low BG numbers as most kitties... also.. her nadir seems to have moved.. was +5 for quite a while..and now it seems to be at +3.. 3 hours after her "big" meals of the day.. I wonder if that's Mr P.. having a slightly retarded response hahaha.

I dunno.. could be talking out of my behind.. I stare at hers and others spreadsheets so much that I could probably find proof of the easter bunny if I was trying to..
    guess I'll know better in 2 or 3 days..

19. Jill & Alex (GA)

i got rid of the blue bookends by increasing the dose even though she had green in-between. it takes guts, knowing your cat, and not being afraid of low numbers. actually, i'm more scared of high numbers than i m of low numbers because alex had DKA when she was diagnosed in july of 2006. i also knew i had to be more aggressive in order to get her otj again. she had been otj for almost 3 years. getting them otj the second time is harder than the first. too bad this liver and kidney disease did her in and she's back on the juice.

20. Dawn & Nova

Re: 4/18 - Nova - AMPS=72, PMPS=104, +2=86, +3=70

Yeah I keep wanting to nudge her.. I've posted in at least a few condo's in the last few weeks that I just want to give her a little push.. but I'm trying so hard not to muck with things.. I've been teetering for a while.. go up a bit and just feed the lows to keep her green all day.. or go down a bit and see if brute force gets Mr P working.. and honestly.. I still don't know which is a better path..

The urge to need to do SOMETHING is getting unbelievably overwhelming.. relatively healthy numbers for over a month now.. her pancreas is obviously not speeding along the healing path the way all the kitties who just look at insulin and fall off the juice do.. I think it needs some convincing..

But I just don't have the eye to see which way to go.. anything jump out at you Jill?

21. Jill & Alex (GA)

with as much monitoring as you do, i would take the dose up to 1u bid from 0.9 to get rid of the blue. usually it only takes a few cycles to nudge the numbers down. as soon as you think nova is stable, then start shaving the dose in increments of 0.1 or 0.2u unit. you don't have to necessarily hold each decrease for 7 days when you're shaving...

22. Dawn & Nova

Okie dokie thanks.. I'll go up a tiny smidge.. I'll call it a 0.95.. so I can switch calling what I'm doing now to a 0.85 haha.. ah so scientific.

I'll have to wait a couple days I think to do a nudge though.. Jerry (my HCM kitty) was dx with hypOthyroidism (go figure) Friday.. so I won't find out the plan for more tests and when we'll be at the vet until after AM PS tomorrow..and tuesday is meetings so I won't be home..

I'm not worried about doing it or the lows.. but only when I know I'll be here ;). Gives me an excuse to test more and play with the nano if anything else.. I've been slacking lately.. because it's pretty easy to tell where she's headed early in the cycle lately.. I spot check later fairly regularly to make sure nothing crazy is going on.. but she's booooring.. could use some excitement ;).

23. Jill & Alex (GA)

sounds like a plan. you definitely want to be around to monitor.
    g'nite!

24. Sarah and Buzz

I will be watching to see how this works for you and Nova. I like the sound of it, and you definitely seem in control and confident. :)

Jill, thanks for the tidbit about the 2nd time OTJ being more difficult; it makes me feel better about Buzz. :) Why is it harder, just out of curiosity?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.