4.19 Frankie AMPS 334 PMPS 203 +2 193

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Jay, Apr 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jay

Jay Member

He isnt eating very much. Which is a cause of concern.

Now matter how I prepare his food, no matter whcih food I give him. He'll only nibble on EVO dry and even that he walks away from.

Time to call the Vet, yet again

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12286

2. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Re: 4.19 AMPS 334

Jay,
    Wishing you good luck with the vet. IMHO If Frankie checks out okay, you might want to ask the vet about an appetite stimulant. I have used both Mirtazapine and Cyproheptadine. Mirtazapine is an antidepressant for humans, and if the vet says it's okay, it might help him.

3. Miriam and Putty (GA)

Miriam and Putty (GA) Well-Known Member

Jay does he seem like he is in pain? How is the litterbox action.....are you still giving him Miralax?
    I wonder if this is a reaction to Chubby not being there. cat_pet_icon

4. Jay

Jay Member

I wont be able to get him there today. Its a phone call. I was going to talk to him about an appetite stimulant. I could use an anti-depressant too.

I went out and picked up a can of Tuna (I hate giving him Tuna, but its better to eat then not to) He licked up the water, and nibbled a bit, and I hand fed him some more pieces. But, he is not eating anywhere near what he should be eating.

5. Jay

Jay Member

No pain, that I can tell. No howling like last week. He is going to the litter box, its light however based on what I scooped out an hour ago.

It might be his reaction to Chubby, but since I have been back on this board, I have been mentioning that their appetites have changed drastically. I now know the reason why when it came to Chubby, Frankie, at this point I have no idea.

He was the kind of eater that would put his head in his bowl and wouldnt come up to inhale till it was all gone. Then gradually over the past year or so, that has changed dramatically. He nibbles, will walk away, goes back and nibbles a bit more (which is why is he was high this morning. At 4 AM I caught him nibbling. Yet the bowl was still 70% full).

9 AM my vet gets another call.

6. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Poor Frankie :( I hope he feels better by this afternoon. Will he eat freeze dried treats or whatever you have?

7. Miriam and Putty (GA)

Ask your vet about a test for pancreatitis. I am not sure if he needs to fast for it but it is worth testing. There are usually more symptoms that can go along with that but not all cats have the same symptoms. Cats are very good at hiding pain.
    It could be that his eating habits have just changed and he is going to be a grazer.
    How many cans or ounces do you think he eats in a day?

8. Jay

Jay Member

At want point all I was feeding him was FF Beef Feast, Turkey and Giblets Feast, Chopped Grill Feast, (small cans rooughly 100 calories each) 1 Can in the AM and 1 in the PM. Now, I have been trying to get him to eat other brands, flavors, including Royal Canin S/O and Hills C?D. Even a can of FF there would be 70% left over when I get home.

I hand fed him a little more Tuna a few seconds ago. He seems to eat when its in my hand. Not out of his bowl. Time to get new bowls too.

9. Miriam and Putty (GA)

Maybe you could get hand shaped bowls. :roll:

10. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Michelle & Scrabble (GA) Well-Known Member

((Jay))) sorry for all you are going through!! Hugs! Scrabble likes eating out of my hand because he can! Don't have any food advice but hoping the call to the vet will help! Wishing you a better day!!!

11. Jay

Jay Member

Not quite sure that will do the trick...first call the Vet to get an appetite stimulant. I hear Valium works well. maybe I can get some for me too.

Next, new bowls.

Last, back in to get him tested again for Pancreatitis and the Triad. (Did some checking prior to leaving for my office). If its anything other then depression over Chubby, I want to nip it in the bud, quickly

12. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA) Well-Known Member

has he been checked for ketones? Obvious I know but i don't see it here....

13. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Maybe you could edit your first post to include his name...

I have changed my two from FF varieties to Petsmart SophistaCat Supreme which they seem to like better at this point in time.
    The flavors are shown on Janet & Binky's list.... I also have the freeze-dried chicken to sprinkle on top if they seem finicky. i just recently tried sprinkling catnip on top too...(if it is from depression though, not sure if any of the above will do the trick...)
    Hope Frankie will eat for you soon...I hope the vet can help you when you call....

14. Jay

Jay Member

Re: 4.19 Frankie AMPS 334

He had a urinalysis done while he was at the Vet. I havent checked him (he's a stealth pisser, and I can never catch him in the litter box) The last time I caught him in there was when he was constipated.

How are you and your boys doing.

15. Jay

Jay Member

Re: 4.19 Frnakie AMPS 334

16. Jay

Jay Member

Re: 4.19 Frankie AMPS 334 Has anyone seen Hank and Betty

The other day, I received this response to my question about food,

I PM'd and asked via reply to this post, what brands and flavors were used, here as it appears that someone had to deal with the same issues that I am dealing with and have not recieved a reply.

Anyone see Betty of HankandBetty online, can you let her know, that I am still waiting her reply.

Edit postReport this postReply with quoteRe: 4.16 Frankie PMPS 225 Feeding Help???
    by Jay » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:01 pm

bettyandhank wrote:
    Jay-
    Hank has a history of FLUTD (feline lower urinary tract disorder) and is still prone even though he hasn't had a flare up in a long while. (ANTI-JINX).
    He had several bouts of extended uncomfortable issues and one major emergency where his urethra completely blocked. It can be very dangerous.
    We did those prescription diets back then, but ultimately i transitioned into feeding him natural premium foods hoping to better his overall health instead.

Natural Premium foods, like? which brand? are they low carb?

I was SO worried when we got his FD diet how to find foods that worked for both. Turns out many of the things good for diabetic kitties are also good for urinary health, canned food, extra hydration. I started adding drops of water to his wet food even then. But I also continued feeding dry back then along with the wet. Now that we've cut THAT out, it will only be that much better for his urinary health also.
    The other big things to watch for are phosphorous in the foods...try to stay as low as you can. I have the PH range somewhere in my old notes..i think low to mid- 6 range or less is what you want to shoot for. Just check the amounts for these on the cans as you do the protein and carb%. You can achieve the same PH levels using commercial foods. I also avoid the fish flavors as much as possible

You mention cans to read labels for phosophorus levels above, which brands, which flavors?

During the Melamine pet food scare a couple years ago, the maker of Hank's S/O prescription food was on the bad list..and though it wasn't for the specific food we were on, it was made in the same factory. I recall the vet at the time not being very happy with some of the mans. responses when i checked on it. I decided then to suspend Hank from the RX diet, at least temporarily, and just continue feeding him the canned and dry my other cat ate. He has not had another flare up since.
    Just like vets want FD kitties on prescription diets, they recommend the same for this. The medicine in the foods is not the problem and could be good and help them....its' just the CRAPPY food it comes on.
    I think this lo-carb high protein will cure many ails...There are just these couple extra things to watch in addition.

So glad Frankie is back home and doing better.

bettyFrankie
    Diagnosed 7/15/2005
    Switched to Lantus from PZI Vet 3/5/10
    https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key ... QYmc&hl=enJay

Private messageWebsite

17. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Jay - you can PM Betty/Hank directly.

Also, do you have a supply of baby food on hand? Beechnut Stage 1 - any of the meat flavors? While this isn't a complete meal, you can entice Frankie with it. Even warm it up and the smell may entice him.

18. Jay

Jay Member

I'm off to the Vet to get Appetite Stimulants. I dont have baby food on hand. Havent since, well I was a baby. I'll try it as I have nothing to lose.

thanks
    Jay

19. Jay

Jay Member

The human antidepressant may help me too!

20. Deb & Spot

Deb & Spot Well-Known Member

Re: 4.19 Frankie AMPS 334 PMPS 203

Jay, I'm wishing you and Frankie well. Hope he eats something for you tonight...enough to fill up his belly and to make you feel happy.

21. Jay

Jay Member

22. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

It's always a good idea to keep a few jars of baby food around. Cause, well, you just never know when it may come in handy. And if it's nearing the expiration date, you can always give it as a snack. Adding a little water makes it smoother and works well in a syringe, if you ever have to syringe feed.

23. Jay

Jay Member

Or, I can eat it..hehe

I swear there is more cat food here in my apt, of all differennt brands and flavors and 2 kinds of dry HC and LC, then there is food for me.

24. D and Noisy

D and Noisy Well-Known Member

which appy stimulant did vet give?

25. Jay

Jay Member

I was hoping for Valium so I can share the vial with Frankie. But I got a vial of Cypro

26. bettyandhank

bettyandhank Well-Known Member

( Jay)

I DID reply, you must have missed it. You both posted and PM'd me on same topic and I replied in your condo.

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12192&p=122259&hilit=betty#p122259
    Scroll down toward bottom....by bettyandhank » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:14 pm

You posted right after this, it looked liked you had decided to go the S/O route.

As mentioned, I am NOT an authority on this topic. We haven't dealt with this in a long time. Much of the research I did back then is vague & I wouldn't rely on it not being current. I did scour my old notes and online before I replied to you on Saturday. I sure hope that helps. I sent you tons of links also.

We are back to square one and much in the same boat as you trying to figure out the food thing again now that he has diabetes. Obviously not everything I did prior worked! It is hit or miss for us trying out new foods now to see what he likes. He seems to have some appetite, just not eating enough consistently in my opinion. I am using Evo dry VERY sparingly...but just crumbling maybe 3-4 pieces on his food to get him more interested. It's mostly working.
    It was mentioned that PERHAPS Hank had pancreatitis which caused his diabetes, but it was just supposed as he was never tested or anything. he was very sick when I took him in an not eating well at DX. I warmed and hand fed him. He got a little used to it ;-)

I think partially his eating habits are changing both with age, and getting through this transition to canned, when he'd really rather still have his dry carbs. I also think he was probably diabetic a long time before i realized..and his eating patterns changed then.
    I alternate between worrying, and trying to just keep an eye on him realizing he is going through an adjustment. When I get certain foods in front of him..he eats. But he may not like that same food next time.
    Read back some of my posts on this topic. I think I have a whole new Hank right now...there's lots of great stuff, more playful, more energy, fur is beautiful..but he eats more like a thin person now. Not so bothered. Not used to that. I just have to stay on top and not let him lose too much.

I think Frankie is probably depressed as much as anything. I'd just keep encouraging his eating and water any time you can. And put a million things in front of him til you find the one's that work. That's what I'm doing.

Sure Hope he feels better soon.

betty

27. D and Noisy

D and Noisy Well-Known Member

I forget how long cypro takes but the mirtz took Noisy exactly 20 minutes -- it was like a eat switch turned on -- so much so I video taped it then next time i gave it.
    Noise tried cypro too but he was so sick by the time we tried that nothing was working.
    Paws crossed for Frankie to eat hardy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.