5/4 Latte AMPS-265, PMPS-304, +3-472, +6~577

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by carolynandlatte, May 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carolynandlatte

carolynandlatte Well-Known Member

Last Night:
    PMPS-439
    +3.25- 306
    +5.5- 254
    AMPS- 265
    +1- 247
    Yesterday (including vet update, posted late last night):
    viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13537

Wow! This is like a breath of fresh air. Only the fear of what is around the corner (further drop to HI again), is something I cant seem to shake. It *could* be that she surfed all last night. That in itself would be a HUGE improvement.

I dont know when she ate kibble, but it looks as if some might be gone from overnight. She is not showing any interest in eating this a.m. so far, which makes me nervous since I will be gone all day. I hope the a/b is not playing too much into her appy. She is pretty mellow and sleepy overall this a.m. Not much to say and little movement. She has not peed herself in 48hrs (that I can tell) and is still using her box. Her bare butt looks good. :mrgreen:

I did get a pleasant surprise this morning...a kitty on my tummy 15 minutes before the alarm! We may be talking a year or more since she has done that! It used to be her regular a.m. routine.

Again, I would like to thank everyone for the amazing support in so many ways yesterday. I was terrified after seeing her HI on the meter, and what was surrounding it (poor appy, possible ketones, known infection, etc). I certainly hope we figure out a way to get her out of these high numbers before an emergency becomes real.

For those who dont want to go back and sort through my last post yesterday.
    Summary:
    No ketones
    no constipation
    u/a culture done
    continue a/b's
    reduce pred (this weekend when home to monitor BG)
    vet consulting with others on her BG's with no conclusion as to whether or not her dose may be too high or what else we can do. Do not use R. Check back in with vet later this week.

ETA: +1.5-she is beginning to eat wet food.

2. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Re: 5/4 Latte AMPS-265, +1-247

Good morning Carolyn...

I really really like that! Nothing better than a kitty doing something they haven't done in a long time, we've all been there and we know what a joy it is to see again. :D

3. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

This is a great Latte report, all things considered! I hope YOU are doing OK, after your scare yesterday.

4. Amy'sWinston (GA)

Amy'sWinston (GA) Member

Just checking in on the Princess this am. That's VASTLY improved report from yesterday. Love that she woke you up sleeping on you. Like Ronnie sid, nothing warms your heart like them doing something that used to be routine, that they haven't done in a very long time! And yes, a refreshing amps compared to the last few days, eh?Her's hoping it continues, that she has a nice, steady, slow drop with no bouncies in there.

Hope you 2 have a lovely day!

5. joyce-tuscany(GA)

joyce-tuscany(GA) Well-Known Member

Carolyn, sending hugs and wishing that I could be of more help. You are doing a great job with Latte, as hard as it is. I am glad you got a "reward" this am with cuddle time.

6. carolynandlatte

Re: 5/4 Latte AMPS-265, +1-247, +2.5~199

I might expect to see a very high cat when I get home @ +11.

At least so far her biggest drop has been 45 pts in 30 min (+2-244). If she can keep the drop steady and slow maybe that will help.

She has had maybe 1/2 3 _z can. Maybe she could think about eating a little more of that too?!

7. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

This is sounding much better.

Did you see my note re. Lactulose containing lactose and other sugars?

8. Kelly & Logan

Kelly & Logan Well-Known Member

So good to hear she's doing better today, Carolyn! Will keep thinking of you both!

9. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Carolyn, This is very good news, indeed. Especially the part about Latte joining you while you slept. We continue to send all those good thoughts, healing vines, etc. your way. How great it would be if Latte would eat today and keep her numbers in a good range! We'll check back later. Hope you have a good day.

Ella & Stu

10. Ele & Blackie (GA)

Ele & Blackie (GA) Well-Known Member

That was so nice to read about her laying on your tummy this morning. It sounds like the abs may be working, since her pee habits are getting better. I'm still sending (((Hugs)))), healing vines and energies to Latte and you. I hope you have a good day.

11. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

This looks like a different condo today. So sweet that she wanted to cuddle with you. Glad she is eating, too.

12. Amy and Pedro

Amy and Pedro Member

Re: 5/4 Latte AMPS-265, PMPS-304

Hi Carolyn,

Just stopped by to see how you two are doing. Glad you had such a wonderful morning treat.
    You are such a great "mom". Here's to a good day!

13. carolynandlatte

AMPS-265
    +1-247
    +2-246
    +2.5-199
    +10.5-301
    PMPS-304

Im going to take a stab in the dark and guess that she has had MUCH better numbers (and steady) for almost 20hrs now. I have no idea if this 300 is the beginning, middle, or end of a bounce. Nor could I possibly guess how low she went before heading back up. Im prepared, as much as I can be, to see the worst. But Im hoping for the best (whatever that may be :roll: )

She seems to be feeling better, too. She was up in the hallway when i got home, instead of under the piano. SUPER excited to see me!!!!! If she could dance, she would have I think. ;-) We had two under cover cuddle sessions between her +10.5 and pmps, and a somewhat acrobatic play session with her peacock feather. She has not been playing much at all recently. She is now resting on her throne after all the activity in such a short period of time. :lol:

She had some kibble when I was at work, and again when i got home. I really wish I was home more to encourage the wet. With my busier schedule lately, that has not been the case. I dont think she is eating a whole lot more than she did a month ago, tho.

She has also had THREE poops today (good size, too!). I still dont see how the vet did not find her constipated, when suddenly after leaving the vet office she is a pooping machine! I bet it feels so much better for her. All pee in appropriate places from what I can tell today...on her pee pads!

Im getting nervous about reducing her pred on Thursday and what I may do with her dose. I could easily leave it and see where she takes it. BUT, I do NOT want to push her into unnecessary low numbers if she is already bouncing into the 500-600's, just from bloos. I might consider reducing her dose a drop on thursday a.m., just to empty her shed a smidge before Thursday nights pred decrease. I know that sounds crazy when she is already so high quite often. anyone out there reading this have thoughts?

Im grateful to have the night off, in preparation for a long day tomorrow.

Sorry, I forgot to address it this a.m. I asked about this when I first started posting here. I cant remember who told me it does not affect BG's...but it was someone in the know (could have even been JoJo). I find it hard to believe, especially since the label warns people who are diabetic against the product. Apparently someone did a mini study on the board of their cat with it showing no changes in BG from lactulose. I have given it to her on a.m.'s when she is very, very low (under 100), to see if it will bring her up. And it doesnt. Ive never seen a correlation between her bg's and the lactulose. What I increased her lactulose to was 1.5ml 2x/day from 1.25ml 2x/day. Not much. And I only did it a few days ago. Her numbers started getting wacky high long before that.

Good thought though. I wonder why, when it seems to be almost pure sugar, it has little affect on BG's....at least in cats.

14. WCF and Meowzi

WCF and Meowzi Well-Known Member

The consensus, through a majority of observations on this board, is that lactulose does *not* affect BGs. There has to be exceptions, of course, just to drive us beans crazy :razz: Greg's Carmelita gets significantly higher BGs when she's on lactulose. She's the only sugarkitty I know of who gets that effect. We don't know if the lactulose formulation in Austria is different from the one here.

See also this discussion on test strip technology that is sort of related to this topic.

15. Ele & Blackie (GA)

Ele & Blackie (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm so happy to see the good report on Latte tonight. :D I hope this continues. And it was so nice to see your visitng condo tonight. I hope that means you are feeling better too. You have had such a stressful time lately. You are awesome, Carolyn. :RAHCAT In so many ways. I hope you and Latte continue to do so well.

16. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Ann & Maggie11 (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I just thanked you on my condo for the helpful info on UTI's. Maggie has an appt. at 10 am in the morning. I am so happy to hear Latte is feeling good and doing better today.

17. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

Hi, Carolyn & Latte.. things sound soooooo much better today! Yay! :D
    What a sweet surprise to wake up to (((Latte))) :YMHUG:

18. carolynandlatte

Re: 5/4 Latte AMPS-265, PMPS-304, +3-472

There is just noooo stopping this nonsense!

Yes, she had a good day - so it seems. But now we go back into this horrific cycle of numbers that is dangerous to her.

Its later, so Im guessing not many folks will read...could pose the question again tomorrow, or maybe in health, but...is this REALLY ok to make a cat go through this when no one..no person on a board with such collective knowledge, no protocol, no vet, the bean...no one can help keep her from not just these swings, but dangerous numbers? Is it humane to let her just continue like this?

I offer the questions with sincerity, not panic or frustration. I just really want to know when does uncontrolled diabetes play into quality of life? I just want to make sure Im not doing her wrong.

19. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

Carolyn, I know I can't put your mind at ease, but one person who will tell you that high numbers do not necessarily affect the cat's long term QOL is Jojo. She has often said that her Bunny lived for 16 years in the 300's most of the time. He was probably higher than that a lot too - she was not able to test him easily to know what his mid-cycle numbers were like, plus people just didn't test as much back then anyway. Most likely the bouncing is harder on you than it is on Latte. Does she still seem like she feels ok?

20. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Carolyn, I don't know what to say except that Latte herself will tell you by how she acts and how she communicates with you whether her quality of life is satisfactory, or whether she is stressed, or in pain. It seems like today she was a pretty happy camper. Other days, not so happy. But she's trying and she's trying because she loves you. ECID, as they say, so who can tell how those high numbers are affecting her in the long term. But I think that, given her many health issues, you have to concentrate on the present. A good day like today can be uplifting in so many ways, for Latte and for you.
    So get a good night's sleep so you can tackle your long day tomorrow.
    Hugs to you both,
    Ella & Stu
    P.S. Thanks for visiting Stu's condo this evening. He was at the party, cooking, but I'll tell him about your suggestion!!!

21. Cheryl and Winnie

Cheryl and Winnie Well-Known Member

m getting nervous about reducing her pred on Thursday and what I may do with her dose. I could easily leave it and see where she takes it. BUT, I do NOT want to push her into unnecessary low numbers if she is already bouncing into the 500-600's, just from bloos. I might consider reducing her dose a drop on thursday a.m., just to empty her shed a smidge before Thursday nights pred decrease. I know that sounds crazy when she is already so high quite often. anyone out there reading this have thoughts?

It always took a few days or more to see any bg change for winnie when roid was reduced.
    that said. ecid !! ;-)
    what happened last fall when you stopped? how soon did you see a change? maybe that experience can guide you . unless she had an immediate response in the past, I would personally hesitate to drop the dose before seeing what happens.

nice to hear latte was waking you up !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.