1/6 Kitty AMPS 100 after sneakcrease - question

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Kathy and Kitty, Jan 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

Yesterday: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1409

We kind of backed into this sneakcrease -- from 2.0 S to 1.75 F. II chickened out because of his 65 PMPS last night. But he had ALMOST earned it. ;-)

My question: I think he went low last night because he didn't eat much during the afternoon or at +10, because I didn't put it in his face. But does that mean that I am keeping his numbers higher by pushing food on him?

When should I let him just eat what he wants, which might give lower numbers, and when should put a plate in his face? I always push food after each shot, and at +2, and I offer it at +10.

How odd, I'm hungry now! :mrgreen:

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I don't know if there's a "right" answer to your question. Jill often has very good suggestions about how food factors in to BG levels. I tend to think the food issue is unique to each cat.

At one point, either Jill or Jojo suggested that I feed Gabby small amounts (I give about 1/8 of a can of FF) early in the cycle since that's when the insulin is most active. As a result, I make sure there's food at +2, +4 and at around +6 or 7. I rarely give anything later than +9. But, Gabby is prone to BIG drops and feeding her this way is a means to help smooth out those swings. You can always experiment with when you feed and how much you feed to see if has the desired effect.

3. Barbara and tuffy

Barbara and tuffy Well-Known Member

I would see if he will eat when he is ready. Now force feeding your Kitty? I think they eat when they need to. You are doing a good job. Try and relax and let him eat on his own, that is MHO. Have a good day.

4. CD and BigMac

CD and BigMac Well-Known Member

Does Kitty normally eat on his own ok? Have you always had to push food? Or are you worried about feeding right after the shot? With Lantus/Lev being slow and even in their response, you shouldn't have to worry about Kitty eating immediately. It's nice to have him eat, but it isn't critical the way it is with other types of insulin. Eating within 2 hours is good because as Sienne mentioned that's when the insulin starts to kick in.

I did notice with my kitty that he'd have some lower numbers when he skipped a meal due to some stress (like company in the house) and I considered that to be not necessarily a 'normal' number. Like if we don't eat for a day.. our BG would be artificially low... not normal. So the reverse...? That is your question... are you keeping his numbers artificially high because of the feeding? Since he has to eat, I'd say no.

Do you feel he needs more food? Would you try to let him go it alone to see if he eats without encouragement? These are some questions that plague many of us. I have a civvie that doesn't eat very well unless I'm in the room watching. (Doesn't like to eat alone, I guess.) Even though I worry about her, I found out she is getting what she needs since her weight hasn't changed in 5 years! So that helped me ignore her when I "think" she's not eating enough. Her health and weight proved I don't need to worry so much.

I can't answer for you, but you can try some experiments to see how Kitty responds. Food is important and if he doesn't eat without your help... then you have to give him that help. But if he just doesn't want to eat when you want him to... but eats fine otherwise, then he should be ok. Can you weigh him occasionally to make sure he's doing ok?

Those are just my thoughts. I hope I didn't get you confused. ;-)

5. Kathy and Kitty

Thank you all for your thoughts on this food issue, which has been on my mind for some time.

I've resisted experimenting, because he has had such wonderful numbers lately. But yesterday was an inadvertent experiment. He didn't eat much, and voila! low PMPS. So as CD said, I wondered whether I was keeping his numbers artificially high.

As for whether he eats well: Kitty ate GREAT when we fed dry food! Always available, always fresh. Now: He does self-feed overnight. But during the day, when he's warm in his bed, he'll stare at me and use ESP to make me bring him food, but he won't get up. Arthritis? Or overly pampered?? :mrgreen:

Last note: When he eats by himself, he licks a little off the plate and walks away. When I put the plate in his face, he eats and eats. Maybe I should let that be enough. But he does surf so nicely with a +2 snack!

I want a PhD in Kitty Psychology!!!

Thanks.

6. Cassandra and Sasha

Cassandra and Sasha Well-Known Member

I will be of no help to this conversation because I do the same thing. Although Sasha actually gets up and eats often by herself now (yay steroids!), I still occasionally feed her in bed. I am also a food pusher. I have had the same questions about if I am keeping her numbers higher by doing this. My thought is that the answer is probably yes.

LOL Carolyn! :lol: Sasha is the same way. The last AC I spoke with actually told me that she didn't want to eat alone. I believe an AC told WCF the same thing about Meowzi.

7. CD and BigMac

We ought to do a poll... is it just girl kitties that do this? My boy kitty couldn't care less.

8. Kathy and Kitty

I would love to see a poll on this! Not only how many of us are active feeders, but whether we've noticed a direct connection to numbers.

Also how many kitties have had a discussion with us about it. :D

9. CD and BigMac

Kathy! LOL!!!

10. Kathy and Kitty

Re: 1/6 Kitty +6 93

Same belly-against-the-heat-vent situation, but I wasn't fooled twice!

And he self-fed less than 30 minutes before the test, so it may not be quite as high as it seems. :smile:

11. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

We always free fed & still do--But Moonie does love to be hand fed by me! cat_pet_icon --And I just Do it as I want her to eat :roll: --Kitty is still doing great--HUGS~!

12. Kathy and Kitty

Re: 1/6 Kitty PMPS 92

What's that saying, you can lead a cat to food but you can't make him eat? His dinner has been served, re-served, heated and sprinkled, but he ate only half. He's fine! He's just not hungry. :YMSIGH:

But I like his numbers! :mrgreen:

13. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

lol! he'll eat when he's hungry!
    ready for the snow tomorrow? i'm kind of looking forward to it, but i don't have to drive anywhere...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.