6/17 Is Meadow out of Rebound? AMPS 290

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Meadow, Jun 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meadow

Meadow Member

Good morning everyone,

Meadow's AMPS this morning was 290. She seems ot be around that number, give or take, a lot in the mornings. So does it seem like she is out of the rebound now? She is obviously feeling much better than she did yesterday as she is perkier. Yesterday with the extreme low and then th ebounce, she seemed lethargic to me. We had to switch to a 7am/7pm split now due to my work testing schedule the next week and a half. I hope waiting the hour to shoot isn't going to mess things up. Do you all think I should stay with the 1 unit now in light of yesterday's "almost crash"?

Yesterday's condo: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17391

2. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Yes stick with the reduced 1U dose this morning. The shed should have emptied a little from last nights reduction. There can still be a little left over on the second cycle after a reduction, but if it were me I would stick with the 1U. Can you get a +1 and +2 after you shoot? Sometimes you can see how a cycle is going to be at the +2. If you start to see her drop early you can work with the insulin by feeding to soften the drop.

PS - can you update the ss from last night? ;-)

3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Meadow earned the dose reduction.

Did you not update your SS from last night or did you not test or shoot all evening?

4. Meadow

Meadow Member

Sorry Paige and Sienne. SS is now updated. PMPS was 290 at 7am. She was hungry at 10:15am, so she ate one of the FF Appetizers as a snack. Now at +5 she is 246. Considering that she ate a little over 2 hours ago, the 246 doesn't seem like too bad of a level at this point. What do you think? Is she out of the rebound? Couldn't get a reading before the +5 hour because I was at work.
    I know I should be testing her more, but her little ears are so sore that she is fighting me now for testing. I need to let them rest. I bought some Neosporin with painkiller as mentioned on this list, but it doesn't seem to make them feel any better. At the +5 test, she wiggled so much I hit the vein and it bled like crazy. :(

Just want to thank both of you for your guidance.

5. Meadow

Meadow Member

That should be AMPS not PMPS.

6. Helene & Tizon

Helene & Tizon Well-Known Member

Couple of things...

-IMO, Meadow didn't almost crash yesterday. 46 is not that low.
    - Rebound can last up to 72 hours.
    - I'm not sure about the FF Appetizers - I can't purchase them here... what's the carb % on them?
    - Be careful about monkeying around with the shot time. 15 minute increments are the safest. And, it's not the late dose you have to worry about, it's the next one... because that one will be early.

As a rule of thumb, an late shot is similar to a dose decrease; and an early shot is like giving an increase!

and lastly, your SS still doesn't say what you shot this AM... just saying.
    It's normal to be scared a little... afterall, it's medication.

7. Meadow

Meadow Member

Helene, thanks for your pointers. I fixed the SS to reflect the 1u dosage given at 7am this morning. PMPS was 356 tonight. Not happy about that. Guessing she might still be rebounding? 46 may not be that low, but she was very obviously not feeling well at all at that point, so maybe for her it is too low. I don't know. This whole thing is so frustrating!

The FF Appetizers ingredients are tuna & water, salmon & water, chicken/tuna and water and chicken/beef and water. Nothing else except the added vitamins and minerals. They look okay to me as an OCCASIONAL snack (maybe 1 or 2 times a week), but if anyone else knows that they are not good, I'd appreciate the heads up.

I'm a little confused about the timing thing. I understand about giving the shot early, but if I give Meadow her shot an hour later than her normal time in the AM (as I did at 7am this morning instead of 6am) and the next shot is 12 hours from that shot (at 7pm tonight instead of 6pm), then how is that giving it to her early?

I feel so inept at all this, confused, frustrated, worried, scared at times....and I've been at it since March. I feel like a horrible kitty mom. :YMSIGH:

8. Helene & Tizon

Helene & Tizon Well-Known Member

9. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

((Dottie))

You're doing great. We're just standing on the sidelines coaching! It takes a while to feel like you know what you're doing and even then, we all still ask for input because sometimes, when it's your cat, you need more objective eyes to take a look. And, like Helene said, the learning curve here is huge. We all have each others' backs. Go back and take a look on the Health board at some of the newbies. You'll realize just how much you've learned in a few short months.

We do try to move shot times in small increments because of the effect on the shed. We either shift by 15 min. up to twice a day or 30 min. once a day. There are exceptions but the general rule is to shift a shot time in such a way as to not create too much overlap (early shot) or to not deplete the shed (late shot).

10. Meadow

Meadow Member

Helene and Sienne, thank you both for your words of encouragment and support. I really think I would go crazy without the help and advice from everyone here. Sometimes it does take me a bit longer to understand things, or I may need things explained in a few different ways to fully understand, but I do eventually get it....at least I think I do. ;) I'm trying to maintain a positive mindset through all this. Thanks for being here for me and everyone else who is new to this. After next week, I'll have much more time to read the posts and at least try to offer some newbie support.....and to hopefully do a much better job with Meadow. :)

11. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

you're doing a great job, Meadow is fine, just a little bouncy. It will come down, and if it doesn't, well, then we can always increase the dose again if this one doesn't work. But it's too early to say this isn't working, I do think she is still bouncing.

12. Meadow

Meadow Member

Thanks, Libby! I have to keep remembering that this takes time. It's hard, though, when you want them as healthy as possible. ;)

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

hey FWIW i think your kitty is getting the 5 Star treatment!

14. Meadow

Meadow Member

Awww, thanks so much for saying that Lori. :smile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.