7/13 Doodle 2ps = 57, +2 = 31 (and update)

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Michelle and Doodle, Jul 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michelle and Doodle

Michelle and Doodle Member

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=19246
    (7/8 thread)

So I shoot a 57 and Doodle throws up all his food maybe 30 seconds later . :roll:
    Fortunately he's on a very tiny dose of 0.05 (on the zero line) so I don't think he's in any real danger - but i'm still going to watch him carefully.

He's unfortunately not doing that well - though on the surface you might not realize it.
    His numbers are good, he still grooms himself, he still plays at night... and is quite affectionate and interactive - but he sleeps more lately, isn't eating well and spends a lot of time drinking water despite the sub-q fluids he is now getting daily.
    For the last week I have been unable to get his full dose of potassium in him - he either refuses to eat or throws up what little he does eat.
    I'm not sure if it's the potassium that is upsetting his tummy or just stomach acid in general...and I'm not entirely positive, but I think the amlodipine has also reduced his appetite. I give him pepcid every day and sprinkle everything I can think of to encourage him to eat.
    I am not looking forward to seeing what this week has done to his potassium level.

I am waiting for a call back from my vet about the possibility of adding spironolactone for it's potassium sparing ability - and i'm hopeful that this might be the break he deserves. *fingers crossed*

I've also been considering a feeding tube... It's not my favorite idea of course but I'm feeling increasingly out of options.
    He NEEDS the potassium to stay alive. And it's not as simple as mixing a couple of pills with his food or even adding it to his fluids - he needs too large of a dose.
    And he needs food - he's gotten just over 100 calories a day for the last 5 days - his weight is dropping...
    Syringe feeding hasn't been successful - the one time I managed to get maybe 9ml in him he threw it back up within a few minutes - i think maybe from the stress.:sad:
    I'll keep trying, but I feel as though I need to have a back-up plan in case we can't make it work.

My biggest concern regarding the feeding tube is if it a viable option if he continues to throw up. :?: Will it get infected? Will it stay in place?
    I'm also concerned about his comfort and how distressing he might find it - and if he will injure himself by getting it caught if he's still playful at night.
    (and that is the best part of all of this - he IS still playing!)

2. Ele & Blackie (GA)

Ele & Blackie (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm very sorry Doodles is having tummy problems, but I'm glad to hear that he feels good otherwise. I'm sending healing & eating vines to Doodle. I hope you can find a solution very soon.

3. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

So sorry Doodle isnt well--Sending healing prayers to dearest Doodle & Hugs to you Michelle!!--Please get better Doodle!!

4. Michelle and Doodle

Michelle and Doodle Member

+3.5 = 51 -- he ate a bit of Avoderm chicken, had some cat nip and is now purring and lounging on the window perch.

5. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

(((Michelle))) (((Doodle)))
    I don't know anything about feeding tubes. Just a couple of ideas that popped into my head (and feel free to discard them if they are useless):

Have you tried feeding Whiskas Cat Milk? My cats go nuts for it. It is no doubt high in carbs, however.

If you feel that the amlodipine is upsetting his stomach, maybe you could ask your vet about a transdermal gel. Big warning: many transdermal meds are not as effective as the oral forms, and amlodipine is one of the ones that may be less effective transdermally. It just may be something to consider if the oral form is seriously affecting QOL.
    Warning about transdermal meds: http://www.felinecrf.org/medicating_you ... edications

Have you considered using something besides Pepcid for nausea? I use ondansetron for Bear.

6. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

i don't know anything about feeding tubes so don't want to steer you wrong.
    but it sounds like a great idea to me and hopefully a way to get the potassium in.

so sorry, michelle, i know it's so so hard when our little kitties are in trouble. hoping doodle has much better values at the next test and is turning around for good.

7. Helene & Tizon

Helene & Tizon Well-Known Member

I don't know anything about feeding tubes Michelle, sorry.
    I'm sad to hear that Doodle isn't doing too well and that you are worried.
    I can only offer cyber hugs and moral support. :YMHUG:

8. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Hi Michelle and Doodle

Very good! Keep it up Doodle!
    Keep your strength up and eat yummy foods k?

Michelle, I'm assuming you've look here. But just in case.
    Dr Lisa: Feeding Tubes For Cats

Healing vines around you Doodle! cat_pet_icon

9. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

Eating vines and snowflakes to Doodle. I remembered reading about feeding tubes on Dr. Lisa's site. Here's the link http://catinfo.org/?link=feedingtubes

((((((((((Michelle)))))))))) paws crossed for Doodle.

10. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

(( Michelle & Doodle ))

It's very encouraging that he's playful and purry, that's says alot. I hope his appetite picks up, that must be so worrisome.

11. sehjak (Susan & Lanky)

sehjak (Susan & Lanky) Well-Known Member

Hey Doodle - we are sending you love & snowflakes to help you feel better soon. Your Mamma is worried about you & she loves you so much. We'll be thinking about you both & will keep sending snowflakes, lots of healing snowflakes.

Love,

Susan & Lanky

12. kryskat

kryskat Well-Known Member

I just heard that a blizzard is heading your way! Sending healing hungry vines and white light to make everything feel better...

13. Sonia & Tom (GA)

Sonia & Tom (GA) Well-Known Member

Hey Doodlebutt! Sending you blizzards of positive vibes!!

14. CD and BigMac

CD and BigMac Well-Known Member

Hugs for sweet Doodle.
    Keep playing and purring little guy. This we like to hear.

I know it's difficult right now, Michelle, so I'm sending hugs to you especially. ((((LOTS of them.))))

15. JaniceandSpike

JaniceandSpike Well-Known Member

Michelle all I can give is support and big hugs to you and Doodle bug. I hope you can find something that works for him. You're such a strong bean and always give 1000 % to all your furries. (((((big hug)))))

16. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

How about some "eat yummy foods and make mamabean happy" vines for Doodle? Thinking of you and hoping he feels better. Oh yes, hugs for you, Michelle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.