1/11 Baby PMPS 127 (no shot given) +13 90 +14 99 +15.5 170

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Nicole & Baby, Jan 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

Good morning, LL! Today will be my 1st work day with Baby being on Lantus. Thankfully, I will be able to get a +2 or +3 in before I leave for the day. This AM #, makes me feel safe! I have the timed feeder set & am ready to roll!! Hope we all are blessed with a Beautiful Day & Night!! Have a wonderful day!! See you in a bit o:)

2. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Re: 1/11 Baby AMPS 252

I hope you and Baby have a great day, Nicole.
    Don't work too hard. Hope tbp goes by quick.

3. Bo & Jake

Bo & Jake Well-Known Member

Re: 1/11 Baby AMPS 252

Good morning,Nicole!
    I didn't post at Your condo before but did follow Your drama the other day/night. You managed like a PRO!
    You just leave food for Baby and she is gonna be fine. Kitties know how to take care of themself.
    You have a nice Day!

4. Nicole & Baby

Re: 1/11 Baby AMPS 252 +2 232

Dyana & Bo, thank you for your words of support & encouragement!! Hopefully today flys by.. getting up at 3:30am to do Baby's AM shot.. leaves quite a bit of time before going to work, it has been a pleasant, sweet morning - spending it with my furbabies. cat_pet_icon

5. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Good morning Nicole and Baby! This should make mommabean feel good about leaving for work right?

6. Nicole & Baby

Good morning, Paige & Webber - yes, Baby is looking out for me…she does not want to scare me while I am at tbp…
    Webber, be a good boy & come down a bit for momma!! :YMHUG:

7. Nicole & Baby

Re: 1/11 Baby AMPS 252 +2 232 Question

Thinking ahead here. If I BG & Baby is under 150 (I know myself.. I will be nervous about going to work - since I am new) so, would it be Ok on those days to give a .3 or .4 so her shed is still getting some? I don't want Baby's shed to not work.

8. Lindyloo

Lindyloo Member

Good to think ahead. Im going to let others offer suggestions. I am a self-confessed dose hopper so my lips are sealed :lol:

9. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

Hi, Nicole! I also ask questions about possible scenarios that haven't happened, just to be prepared! :lol:

Let's see what the experienced folks say. I'll put my two cents on:

- "With Lantus, it is important to stick with your dose. We start low and work to the correct dose so that you can have confidence that you are at the right dose for Baby."
    - "Are you data ready??"
    and
    - "You have to feel comfortable."

If those answers pop up, I am going to go play the lottery. :mrgreen:

Sorry. I was NO help, except to give you a bump. :mrgreen:

10. Nicole & Baby

I love BUMPS, so you were help...
    Thank you both!!

11. Nicole & Baby

Re: 1/11 Baby PMPS 127 EYES PLEASE QUESTION

Got home from work about an hour ago & very happy to see PMPS 127, however.. I did not know to shoot or not, as Baby has scared me before. I tried to log into FDMB for 30 mins & could not connect. Shot time was 30mins ago, Baby has now eaten & her shed is messed up again. I know I asked this Sunday & earlier today - what should I do as a newbie in this situation? I don't want to keep skipping doses. Please help me.

12. paige

paige Well-Known Member

I was just able to get on too. Hang in there. Someone will come along.

13. paige

paige Well-Known Member

bump

14. Michele and Esse

Michele and Esse Well-Known Member

I just was able to get on, too.

Will you be around to monitor? Have a lot of HC? Strips?

Someone who actually knows what they're doing will be along shortly...I'm just asking the questions so that the answers are there for them later. I have no advice to give about dosing...

Best-
    Michele

15. Bo & Jake

Bo & Jake Well-Known Member

hello,Nicole!
    I think it's very nice PMPs!
    You are on 0.5 u and if it was me I would shoot that. You are home tonight and Yoy can monitor.
    I know You are scared but the other day was different situation (OD).
    Just check at +2 and will see where Baby is heading.

16. Tina & Sammy

Tina & Sammy Well-Known Member

Have you dosed her yet? Has she eaten? I guess if it were me I would give her some food and then test again to see how much she goes up. The give her the dose. I can tell you from experience that missing doses is probably worse than having her go too low. That is as long as you can monitor her, re-check and give HC food or treats if necessary.

If you do dose her I might suggest that you test her every hour and if you see her dropping below 70 to go ahead and give her the HC food or treats. It might take another hour to get her numbers back up after that. At least that has been my experience. Check out Sami's spreadsheet on December 9th. I forced food down her at ever check where she was below 70. That was before finding this board and understanding about LC and HC foods. At the time Sami was on HC dry food, and other than some canned prescription food I only had syrup as a back up plan, that is and milk, which finally did the trick.

Hope things go okay.

17. Nicole & Baby

Re: 1/11 Baby PMPS 127 (no shot given) +13 90

Baby ate dinner & at +13 she is now BG #90, I am just not comfortable shooting that... I don't know what is happening! Dont get me wrong..I do LOVE the #s but don't want the rebound & the shed messed up. Thank you to all of you...

18. Karen and Flo

Karen and Flo Member

Hi Nic. I'm sorry I can't offer you any useful advice. When Flo was on PZI, I messed around with her dose all the time based on her preshots, but Lantus works much differently. How many doses has Baby had at 0.5units? I just wonder if maybe she needs a slightly lower dose--maybe Mr. P is working?

19. Tina & Sammy

I have to agree with you, I guess for me I would probably give her another hour and test again. Hopefully, if you give her a later dose it won't screw up your morning dose time if you have to work. I can tell you that Sami continues to drop past +12 and if you check out her spreadsheet you can see the mess I made of her BG values by skiping doses. Honestly, I don't know what to tell you or have enough experience to give you more advice other than what I might do if it were Sami.

Hopefully it will all work out in the end.

20. Kathy and Kitty

Oh, Nicole, I just saw this, and I'm no pro. Just wanted to say that I would be nervous too, and I know you haven't had a chance to collect data to be confident about making a move. Whatever happens tonight, Baby will get through it.

You need to be comfortable with your decision, I heard that frequently.

(((Nicole)))

21. Kathy and Kitty

I also used to hear that instead of skipping, you could give a token dose for the shed. But since it's so early in the game, and Baby has eaten (which distorts true numbers), I'm not sure.

Am I correct that you're on a fairly strict morning schedule? If you were to shoot now, would you be able to wait a full 12 hours until the morning?

22. Nicole & Baby

Hi, Karen/Flo, thank you for replying.
    I messed up on Day 1 & give 5 units instead of .5 (OD) very scary.
    Baby has had 5 doses at .5, but only 1 day has she had both 12 hour shots, so most days are on .5 for 24 hours.

23. Kathy and Kitty

Still wondering about your schedule restrictions.

24. Nicole & Baby

We are on a fairly strict schedule, but thankfully I work from home tomorrow..
    I think I will test again in 30mins, beyond that..our schedule would be too messed up.
    I hate to think I am messing her up by skipping, but as pointed out - it is still new & I just have to go with what I am comfortable with. I hope Jill/Alex can see this, she has helped me out with Baby. We shall see.. thank you all for being here for me & giving me your feedback.

25. Karen and Flo

Karen and Flo Member

Oh, trust me, I am well aware of the 5 unit nightmare. I'm on the west coast, but was up all night getting an ulcer right along with you. I didn't really get into the discussion b/c I wanted to leave room for people more experienced w/Lantus, but you were definitely a rockstar. I would think about reducing the dose, and trying to get onto a 12/12 schedule, but hopefully Jill or Jojo or someone will chime in soon. I wouldn't have shot that low either, or at most a much reduced dose, but I'm a nervous nellie...

26. Nicole & Baby

Karen/Flo..ahhh... thank you for sharing our pain Thursday night...dumb furmommy I was..... Uggh.. anyway.. this is turning into an interesting sugar dance, I would agree.. I think a lower dose may be in call... who knows... hell I'm the one who missed the .5 on the syringe - I hardly trust my judgement LOL
    I sent Jill a message.. maybe she will have time to review.

27. Kathy and Kitty

You'll get past these beginner's bumps. Baby is doing awfully well, everything considered. Once you get settled, I'm sure she'll do great.

28. Nicole & Baby

confused_cat Thanks, Kathy & Kitty! +14 99 this is after dinner & snacks. I am comfortable with the decision I made not to shoot, we will now have to shoot in the AM, because our schedule will get too messed up. I feel blessed by the #s, just wish I was more comfortable - everything happens for a reason & I have to go with my gut. Thank you all who took the time to reply.

29. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

Re: 1/11 Baby PMPS 127 (no shot given) +13 90 +14 99

exciting evening you're having!

Gimme a minute to catch up and we'll see if we can figure out a plan. I see you have lots of good help here already.

30. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

ok, if schedule is too messed up to shoot now, then we need a plan for tomorrow. That gives a little more time for thinking. :mrgreen: If you can grab a couple more spot checks before bed, that can give some good information about whether the dose needs to be reduced or if the 127 could have been shot.

I understand your hesitation given Baby's great response to Lantus. We do need to make sure Baby is safe, and we need to make sure you are comfortable with what you are doing.

31. Nicole & Baby

Libby & Lucy... thanks! I will get some spot checks before bed & post, because I fully anticipate a rebound & appreciate any input you & others have. I like what you said about me being comfortable & Baby being safe :YMHUG:

I know it is hard for people to give a confident answer - because we are still so new, so there is not a lot of data. It is a sugar dance & because of my first day (my screw up) I am gun shy & just cant shoot & leave for work without obsessing about her. Thankfully I do work from home tomorrow. However, I expect tomorrow to be normal & then she will change it up on me again confused_cat

32. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Hi just checking in with you and Baby. I would have been scared too. Will wait to see how the next reading goes. You are home tomorrow--the angels are looking out for you two. o:)

33. Lindyloo

Lindyloo Member

Im thinkin that if no shot was given and Baby ate, it looks like her pancreas kicked in!! Or at least sputtered. Anybody? Am I right?

How often are you feeding Baby?

34. Nicole & Baby

Baby grazes.. she is not a big eater..but eats a few bites at a time thru out the day.. I just tested her again..has been eating thru out the whole time...& she was very upset to be tested.. I had to test twice & sit on her with the bathroom door closed
    I do see a rebound..but am excited to see some things working in our favor...

35. Tina & Sammy

Or her higher number could be stress from all the testing. At least you know that she is rising. Hopefully, she won't go too high tonight without her shot.

I totally know where you are coming from because I was the same way and probably still will be if Sami goes lower than expected. I know it is very difficult not to freak out. I hope I am able to adjust Sami's dose slow enough that I don't have to worry too much about taking her too low.

Hope you have a good night. Don't stress over it, even if she goes a little high over night. You will get her straightened out tomorrow.

36. Kathy and Kitty

By the way, Nicole, since you had trouble getting onto the website this morning: Are you registered for the backup board yet?

www.lalalantus.yuku.com

37. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

nicole sent a PM. i'm replying here:

not shooting at +12 tonight was understandable because you're new and you don't have a lot of data on baby... yet. :D
    you don't have the data to support shooting a 127.
    however, for future reference let's learn from what happened tonight.

+12 127
    +13 90
    +14 99
    +15.5 170

it takes approximately 2 - 3 hours for long lasting insulins like lantus or levemir to kick in. this is called ONSET: the length of time before insulin reaches the bloodstream & begins lowering blood glucose. had you shot the +12, the insulin would have started lowering the blood glucose somewhere right before that 170 @ +15.5. in other words, you're not shooting the actual preshot number, you're shooting the number which will come in 2 - 3 hours. if you had shot the +12, the insulin would have started bringing down that 170.

from Tight Regulation with Lantus or Levemir for Diabetic Cats:

"It is likely, because of the way Lantus and Levemir work (they appear to work for >12 hours, therefore producing overlap between doses), you will face the problem of having a low pre-shot BG and wondering what dose you should give. Try reducing the dose the first few times to see what happens - in all likelihood the cat will have higher BGs as a result. A second alternative is to feed the cat, wait 1 to 2 hours, test again, and when the BGs start rising, give the normal dose. A third alternative is to split the dose: feed the cat, give most of the dose immediately and give the remainder 1 to 2 hours later when the BGs start rising. However, in most cats none of these alternatives have shown themselves to work as well as consistent dosing. You will have to learn how your cat reacts to Lantus/Levemir before you determine the best way to deal with this problem."

the methods listed above are for newbies who can't veer off their schedule and/or haven't collected enough data to feel comfortable shooting low. as kirsten (the author) points out, none of these methods have shown themselves to work as well as consistent dosing.

since you are not comfortable shooting lower numbers, my suggestion is to reduce the dose to 0.25u bid. reducing the dose will enable you to collect the data you need to feel comfortable shooting on the 12s. take a look at alex's levemir spreadsheet in my signature. shooting full doses every 12 hours is what you want to be able to do. the idea is to shoot low to stay low like i did with alex.

Also, please review the starred thread at the top of this forum:
    LANTUS & LEVEMIR: BECOMING DATA READY TO SHOOT LOWER NUMBERS. this will help you become data ready to shoot those lower preshot numbers.

hope this helps...

38. Kathy and Kitty

I'm sneaking some learning in from Nicole's condo. This is something I often forget, when staring at a lower-than-expected pre-shot number! :idea:

39. Nicole & Baby

Jill, I appreciate you taking the time to reply - this is excellent information. Starting this evening, I will lower her dose. I am very appreciative & this makes a lot of sense, because I do see Lantus working longer than 12 hours for Baby. Thanks Again!!! :YMHUG:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.