8/11 Harley: AMPS=57, PMPS=59, +1=77, +3=50

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sherry and Harley, Aug 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sherry and Harley

Sherry and Harley Member

Woohoo! Wednesday!! (which is oh so close to Friday!) Haha...

Yesterday's News

Woops....overslept....well, actually got up at 7am, tested, and went back to sleep! Anyhoo...super low AMPS today (even though it was 30 min late!).....maybe today's the day!

Happy Wednesday, everyone!!

s

2. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

Re: 8/11 Harley: +11=64, AMPS=57 (a tiny bit late...)

what a beautiful start to the day!! Great job guys!

3. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: 8/11 Harley: +11=64, AMPS=57 (a tiny bit late...)

Harley is looking SO good! Looks as if he is enjoying all his greens!
    They look SO good on him too! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

4. Sherry and Harley

Sherry and Harley Member

Re: 8/11 Harley: AMPS=57, +4.5=45, +6=52 More Questions...

Well...we came close at 4.5, but didn't quite get there today.

I have a couple of questions...would it be weird if I said she seems sad? I don't know what it is, but something just doesn't seem right. She's cut WAY back on her eating and she just seems....something....I can't quite describe it. She eats when I put food out, but now, there's almost always some left. She used to lick her bowl clean. She's also less chatty than she used to be and seems to be in slow motion all the time. Is is bad that she's lingering around the 40s, 50s, and 60s for so long? I know people would probably kill for these numbers, but I want to make sure that being this low for an extended amount of time is ok. I'm just thinking about how I feel when my blood sugar is low (if I haven't been able to eat...you know the feeling). Does she feel like that all the time? Do non-diabetic cats have BGs that span the range across the day (50-130), or do they usually hover around some average number like my girl? Maybe I'm losing my mind. I don't know...it's something I've noticed in the last few days. Things that make you go, hmmmmm.....

Oh, also, about this testing thing--As you know, I'm testing a ton. She's so damn low all the time, I feel like I have to in order to catch her should she go TOO low. I know she's over it...maybe that's what's making her sad. I want her to be safe, and if I'm shooting pre-shot numbers in the 50s, what am I do to, other than test the crap out of her? Ugh...

Ok. I'm headed back to work.

s

5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I suspect that some of what you're seeing is Harley's body adjusting to lower insulin levels. Harley has been in this range for 8 days (can you believe it?). She's been diabetic since 6/2008. This is a big change for her. Give her a little time to get used to the changes. Appetite is definitely reduced as cats become better regulated. The food that they are metabolizing is going where it's supposed to go vs. floating around in the bloodstream.

6. Helene & Tizon

Helene & Tizon Well-Known Member

Sooooooooooooooooo beautiful in this condo! Nice greenage surfin!

As Sienne said, appetite does stabilize with regulation and with normal BG.
    Tizon is a 60-80s kind of cat. I know that Lucy (of Libby) has been around the 60s.
    I hope that helps a little.

7. Sherry and Harley

Sherry and Harley Member

Re: 8/11 Harley: AMPS=57, PMBG=48 Shoot it?

Thanks, ladies! I feel a bit better now.

Ok....pre-shot is 48....was 30 minutes late this morning, so I'm off my shot schedule again. Would really like to shot now....lemme know what you think!

s

8. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Re: 8/11 Harley: AMPS=57, PMBG=48 More Questions...

hang on Sherry....

9. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

I'm not sure about shooting 48, it looks like whatever number you shoot is pretty much where she ends up surfing, and I'm not a big fan of shooting 40's.

Is it now +12, or +11.5?

10. Libby and Lucy

what do you think about trying the next dose reduction, to 0.25 units? :mrgreen:

Harley has proven her point, she likes to surf low, but maybe a reduction will at least get her surfing 60's-70's instead of 40's-50's.

11. Libby and Lucy

has it been 1/2 hour yet? You can re-test, it would make me happy if she is a little higher than 48 before you shoot.

12. Sherry and Harley

Sherry and Harley Member

Re: 8/11 Harley: AMPS=57, PMPS=59 More Questions...

Hi Libby-

+11.75=48
    +12=59

Ok. Will do. What are your thoughts on the testing when she surfs this low? I'm torn about what to do. I want to give her a break, but don't want her to drop without knowing...

Thanks, Libby!

s

Haha...yes I can! That's what's taking me so long to respond, that and the typing! :lol:

13. Libby and Lucy

good, I feel better now. ;-)

About testing, I would get a +1 and go from there. I think you can be pretty confident that she is surfing, not plummetting. Maybe +1 and +3 and if she's surfing then leave out food and call it a night.

14. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

congrats on the dose reduction, sherry!
    harley's doing sooooooooo well! :mrgreen:

15. Sherry and Harley

Sherry and Harley Member

Ok. Will do. I just fed her 1/2 a can and she only ate a few bites of it....that is making me extra nervous! And the thing is, she still looks fat as ever! I wish I had a scale to weigh her...

So, she's healing, right? There wouldn't be anything medically going on that would be lowering her BGs, would there? I'm having a case of 'this is too good to be true'. I feel like my 'gut' is trying to tell me something and it's making me question everything. Like I said earlier, I just can't put my finger on it.

Will keep you posted on how the night goes...

Ciao!

s

Thanks, Jill!

16. Jill & Alex (GA)

sherry, it's probably nothing, but if your gut is telling you something is "off"... it wouldn't hurt to take harley in for a checkup. whenever a caregiver says something like that, i always encourage them to have kitty checked out.

is it possible for something going on medically which could lower blood glucose? yes, it is possible. i've seen cancer have that effect. however, it's important to note the symptoms you've described are very typical of a kitty whose body hasn't adjusted to lower numbers. tightly regulated kitties usually eat a whole lot less than they did when their diabetes was unregulated. for example, alex now eats less than half of what she ate when she was not regulated.

i wouldn't jump to any conclusions. take her in and have her examined. have bloodwork drawn. it's probably nothing, but taking her in would go a long way in easing your mind.

17. Sherry and Harley

Sherry and Harley Member

Re: 8/11 Harley: AMPS=57, PMPS=59, +1=77

Thanks, Jill. That's kind of what I was thinking...I'm just so damn broke right now. But, I think it's what I need to do so I can stop making myself CRAAAAAZY!! @-)

I just want to enjoy what's happening here, but first, I need to turn off that nagging little voice...will call the vet tomorrow!

s

18. Jill & Alex (GA)

yes, turn the nagging little voice off. try to relax and enjoy.
    tomorrow's another day...

19. Pamela and Lightning

Pamela and Lightning Member

Wow, it's great to get on here and read about how well kitties are doing...and Harley is definitely doing great!

I completely understand what you mean about "feeling" like something is wrong, even when there aren't signs showing you there are. I've gotten like that a few times when I've planned on leaving the house and something inside told me not to go and low and behold, Lighting has dropped to the 40/50's!! I'm so glad I didn't leave and listened to that little voice inside of me. So I say, trust your instincts and do whatever you can to figure out what's going on. Hopefully its nothing and Harley is just adjusting as everyone is saying. I'm sure our kitties just aren't used to being "normal" again!! :mrgreen:

20. Sherry and Harley

Sherry and Harley Member

And herein lies my testing dilemma....I guess I'll be sticking it out for a +4....

Hope everyone is having a lovely surftacular evening!! :D

s

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.