9/18 Chester pmps 132,+3=118,+3.5=95,+5.5=100,+7=149

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Jaye and Chester, Sep 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaye and Chester

Jaye and Chester Member

Well, after "Chester's Wild Ride" of yesterday, I don't think we're doing too badly. DH was able to get a +6 reading last night and I got some sleep! He was also supposed to get a +9 but after 10 pricks and 5 wasted strips he got totally frustrated and gave up. I tend to forget that just because it's now easy for me, that doesn't mean it is for him, no matter how many times I show him. I'm sure Chester felt his frustration. (I think the neighbors even felt his frustration!)

So, I'm guessing the 299 is a combo of the dose reduction and a bit of a bounce from yesterday, but considering where we were a couple of days ago with the amps of 559 and then yesterday's nadir of that scary 47 I'll take a few yellows happily.

Thanks again to everyone who held my hand through yesterday...you guys are great!

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=25176

2. Beth & Atlas

Beth & Atlas Well-Known Member

Re: 9/18 Chester amps 299

Looks like you'll be shaving that dose again?

I'm sure more experienced folks will be along shortly to comment.

Have a great day today Chester!!!

3. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: 9/18 Chester amps 299

I see you changed yourmind about the sk2.0u and shot the 2.0u this morning, right? Well, try to stick with that for awhile...consistency and all that....IF he will let you, ;-)
    Those pinks were expected after that low and the karo....not to worry!
    This is good...into the yellows for today.Hope you both have a good day Jaye...you did so well yesterday! :thumbup

4. Jaye and Chester

Jaye and Chester Member

Re: 9/18 Chester amps 299,+3=336

I'm not getting worried yet, I'm NOT getting worried yet.....

Imagine if I'd have dropped it to 1.5!

5. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: 9/18 Chester amps 299,+3=336

Quite the day you had yesterday! nice job with it all - after a while it gets easier. Considering all - today's numbers aren't too bad, and expected. It will take a little bit for the dose change to settle too. As Pat said - try and stick to that for a while. Consistency does make a difference.

Nice job! Have a great day today.

6. Jaye and Chester

Jaye and Chester Member

Re: 9/18 Chester amps 299,+3=336,+5=255,+8=101

Hmmm... I wonder if I should start getting worried here? I have to take my dog to grooming in 30 minutes (I stay with her while she's groomed) so I'll be gone for a couple of hours. My husband has, once again, shown he's dismal at getting a bg reading (otherwise I would have had a +6 or +7 since I was away from home).

Actually, I'm amazed with the double dose reduction (try saying that three times fast) and the low/Karo of yesterday that he's even dipped into the 100s.

Thoughts? Should I give him a snack or just wait to see if he earns himself another reduction? I can go to the groomers and come back while she's in the drying cage (I'm just a couple of blocks away).

7. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

Re: QUESTION 9/18 Chester amps 299,+3=336,+5=255,+8=101

I would give him a snack to see if he'll surf here. Looks good!

8. Jaye and Chester

Jaye and Chester Member

Re: EYES PLEASE 9/18 Chester amps 299,+3=336,+5=255,+8.5=86

I'm back from the groomers for about 20 minutes and DH was able to give him a snack. I actually tried something I got from the pet expo today. The EVO rep talked me into trying their dry kibble (chicken and turkey) because, even though dry, it's relatively low in carbs (7%) and high in protein (50%)...50% seemed really high to be, but that's what the bag says. I'm thinking of it as a good choice for these situations because Chester will almost ALWAYS prefer dry over moist (probably because he rarely gets it). We'll see in a few minutes what the result of it is.

9. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Re: EYES 9/18 Chester amps 299,+3=336,+5=255,+8.5=86,+9=103

Actually, dry is a bad choice when trying to bump up low numbers. It takes considerably longer dry to get into the bloodstream and it takes longer for it to leave. So, it's not going to raise numbers quickly -- figure about an hour, at least -- and it will be keeping numbers up long after you wish they were coming back down. It also fills your cat up, which is not what you want when you may need to be gently feeding higher carb food over the span of several hours.

Have I convinced you yet why we don't encourage the use of dry food?

10. Jaye and Chester

Jaye and Chester Member

Re: EYES 9/18 Chester amps 299,+3=336,+5=255,+8.5=86,+9=103

:D Yup!

And off I go to test him again. It's been a bad day for testing. The weather is cool, therefore so are little furry ears of kitties who like to sit in the windowsills. He really detests the warmed rice sock and holding his ear to warm it ticks him off as well. To make matters worse, DH gets very stressed about the ear prick and I'm trying to get him to learn to do it correctly. He just decided it was okay to give up today because it frustrated him...and I'm griping at him, telling him that there are times it's okay to say "call it a day" and give up, but when your cat is in an unexpected low, it's NOT okay to give up... GRRRRRR.....

11. Jaye and Chester

Jaye and Chester Member

Re: EYES! Another Reduction? 9/18 Chester pmps 132

Chester almost made it below 80 again today (using AlphaTrak he reached 86) but I stopped any further descent with a snack. I'm wondering if he's earned another reduction? I am not comfortable shooting 2 units when he's this low pmps...I don't think he's ever been this low before at pmps and after yesterday's scare...I'm chicken to tempt fate!

I think I'll feel safer at 1.75 tonight.

12. Libby and Lucy

Re: DOSE HELP! Another Reduction? 9/18 Chester pmps 132

I wouldn't reduce yet, you WANT these numbers, don't back away from them! You've shot lower than this before, on a higher dose...

13. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

If you're not comfortable shooting this low of a PMPS, that's fine. It looks like you already shot and reduced the dose to 1.75u. (Is that right?) We refer to that as a BCS ("big chicken sh*t) dose. It's a temporary reduction. I would bring Chester's dose back to 2.0u tomorrow morning providing his numbers are at a range where you feel comfortable shooting that dose. He hasn't earned a reduction yet and every minute he spends in those green ranges is helping his pancreas to heal.

14. Jaye and Chester

Jaye and Chester Member

Gotta love the jargon! :D
    Yes, I did a BCS dose...he didn't act very interested in his supper that I just drove 15 miles to purchase and that he devoured the last time he had it (EVO). :roll:

But I got huge bounces from it when he went too low afterward.

I'm actually hoping to be able to shoot the 2 tomorrow because I'm uncomfortable finding the exact right place on that blasted tiny syringe that only teenagers can see clearly! I'm starting to actually have a glimmer of hope that Chester will one day be "regulated." I honestly never thought we would even be this close after his last stint at the emergency vet. So...if he's got a decent number tomorrow I promise I'll shoot the 2.

Thanks for the advice!

15. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Re: 9/18 Chester pmps 132

You're doing a good job Jaye, and Chester, too!

16. Jaye and Chester

Jaye and Chester Member

Thanks!

It's easy to feel like I'm letting him down sometimes. I'm sure everyone has felt that way at one time or another.

17. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

I love checking in on you and Chester. So much has changed in such a short time.

Some tips for getting a drop from cold ears... massage his ear a little, and try applying a little pressure between your fingertips towards the tip as you poke so the blood will tend to pool between there and his head. It may take a second to form. Sometimes I'll rub KB's ear and breathe on it a little to try to warm it.

18. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

I think we all have felt that way... but it's so silly, because here you are at FDMB, working hard with shots and tests to give your Chester the very best path to health. :D It's just that sometimes it's a zig-zaggy path. :lol:

p.s. I see you feed Blue Wilderness! I gave Kitty some of the Duck 95% and he loved it. Seems high caloric; how much do you give Chester?

19. Jaye and Chester

Jaye and Chester Member

Wow, isn't that the truth! I lurked here most of the summer when we were struggling with 7 (yes, 7) units of Lantus 2X bid. Now we're on Levemir, he's feeling great and we're down to between 2 and 1.75 units! WooooHooooo! Thanks for the tip with the ears. We'll try it in a few minutes...after my diabetic dog recovers from his laryngospasm and I give my CRF kitty sub-Q fluids... :shock:

With Chester it wouldn't matter how much I give him because apparently (after purchasing several cans) he hates the duck! He likes the chicken best, then the turkey. I fear that the venison I bought won't be gobbled up, though. He's not a big guy...a bit overweight at around 10 lbs. He gets just under 1/2 twice daily on a normal, non-panic because he has low numbers, kind of day.

20. Jaye and Chester

Jaye and Chester Member

Re: 9/18 Chester pmps 132,+3=118

Uh, oh! Why is Chester at 118 at +3? Is this going to be another VERY long night for us? nailbite_smile

YIKES! All of the sudden I'm freaking out that I might have accidentally given him 2.75 instead of 1.75 units! My husband doesn't think so, because I was showing him how to do it and he remembers seeing "3" marks on the syringe. THAT DOESN'T HELP! He has the worst memory and attention span of anyone I've ever known. I got out a syringe and pulled it to 2.75 and just can't believe that I would give that much at this stage in the game, so maybe this is one of those cases where you leave the house and then wonder if you left the iron on, only to come home to a perfectly, non-burned-down house with the iron off. PLEASE let that be the case!

I'm suspicious because he's never been this low at +3. Of course, he's usually not only 132 at pmps either. I'M FREAKING OUT!!!

I called my vet and she says he's finally got what seems like a normal number and not to worry yet, not to feed him yet because I might need him to be hungry later on...true...and to call her in a couple of hours.

WHAT DO I DO?!? He's acting perfectly normally, btw.

21. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Re: YIKES! HELP! 9/18 Chester pmps 132,+3=118

Hope you can get a +3.5

Don't panic, k?

22. Jaye and Chester

Jaye and Chester Member

Yup, I'm going to get a +3.5 right now...

Already panicking!

And even if I didn't screw up, he should be in his spike right now...I'm not used to these numbers!

HE'S AT 95!!

23. Libby and Lucy

see you at +3.5.

24. Ronnie & Luna

at what + hour did you give dry Evo today? (according to SS comments)

25. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Re: YIKES! HELP! 9/18 Chester pmps 132,+3=118, +3.5=95

A couple of deep breaths....

Chester has dropped all of 37 points in 3.5 hours. That's roughly 11 points per hour. That's not a plummet. You're testing and you're in control of the numbers. You've got HC at home if you need it. And, so far you don't need it.

26. Jaye and Chester

Jaye and Chester Member

It was around 2:00 p.m. which would have been +8.5. He got approximate 15 pieces.

27. Libby and Lucy

is Chester at 95 now? Why don't you feed him a couple of tsp of LC and test again in 30 minutes? So far this looks fine to me.

28. Ronnie & Luna

ok.
    don't be reaching for them alright?
    remember dry will take too long to bump up numbers.

you have any gravy wet food choices?
    how late can you stay up should you need to?

agrees with Libby +4 would be good too.
    it'll be ok.
    Lots of eyes on you.

29. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

breathe, jaye...breathe. you're doing fine and you've got great coaches here.

celi & binks

30. Tena and Curry(GA)

Tena and Curry(GA) Well-Known Member

Jaye,

You are doing a great job with Chester. Those are wonderful numbers.

You are have lots of support here to help walk you through this. You are in good hands w/Libby, Sienne and Ronnie.

31. Jaye and Chester

Jaye and Chester Member

I've got the gravy right here and will try to get him to eat some low carb right now.

I'll be up ALL night...there's no doubt of that. Right now I'm shaking so much I couldn't even give my other cat her sub-q fluids...she wasn't happy with the tension she felt in me.

Okay...he just ate about a tsp. I'm afraid to give him too much for fear he'll get full.

THANK YOU!

32. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

You're thinking this through. Great job. There's nothing to be panicky about. You're not entirely sure if you over drew the insulin so this may just be Chester's cycle for tonight. Breathe!!

33. Jaye and Chester

Jaye and Chester Member

I'll try but there's this huge lump of panic in my stomach...honestly, if I did anything to hurt Chester I don't think I could handle it!

34. Jaye and Chester

Jaye and Chester Member

Okay...at +4 he just tested 102 and his mommy just breathed for the first time in an hour!
    That's the LC, though, right? We're not out of this yet, but at least he didn't go the other way.

He is NOT happy with me right now.

35. Libby and Lucy

how sure are you that you overdrew? So far Chester's numbers look pretty normal.

36. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

You are doing great again Jaye! Are you breathing??
    Don't worry...you have brought him up from much lower numbers...this range is very nice.Maybe the LC will get him surfing.
    Keep watching him closely....you are in control of this now! :mrgreen:

37. Jaye and Chester

Jaye and Chester Member

Not sure at all. It just hit me when I saw that his +3, which is usually quite high, was low. Then I couldn't stop thinking that maybe I did. And now there's no way to know except if Chester crashes... And I'm feeling a little bit sick right now!

We've never really had "normal" before.

38. Jaye and Chester

Jaye and Chester Member

Not sure at all. It just hit me when I saw that his +3, which is usually quite high, was low. Then I couldn't stop thinking that maybe I did. And now there's no way to know except if Chester crashes... And I'm feeling a little bit sick right now!

We've never really had "normal" before.

[/quote]

I was kind of hoping I wasn't going to have to do this again quite so soon!

39. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Chester is 50 points higher tonight though!! He is looking fine....he is going to have to do a little better to earn that dosecrease he is itching for though...he overshot it by 16 points, right? :lol:

:roll: Never trust a surfing cat....remember that...
    the LC will work though...I'm almost positive!
    (I probably shouldn't have mentioned the magic dosecrease number, huh?)

40. Ronnie & Luna

don't forget, you can always have chocolate :D
    [​IMG]

41. Jaye and Chester

Jaye and Chester Member

My fear (well, one of my fears) is that yesterday we didn't reach our low until +8. If he's where he is now, I shudder to think of where he'll be at +8.

How long, do you think, before I can tell if this is my fault and I overdosed him or if he's just becoming more regulated?

At least the room Chester is in has a nice big dog bed I can lay on between tests. ;-)

I definitely don't want to see that tonight!

42. Jaye and Chester

Jaye and Chester Member

Okay, that got me my first laugh of the night! :lol:

43. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Laughing helps you breathe!! :lol:

Jaye...on Sept 15th, Last Wed night
    This was your PM cycle. and you had just shot 2.5u
    pmps 116 (2.5u)
    +1 167
    +3 62
    +3.5 56
    +4 69
    +4.5 81
    +5.5 89

See? You will be fine...HE will be fine! :YMHUG:

44. Fleapunk

Fleapunk Member

Ok, so looking at Chester's ss, on the 15th, he dropped to a 62/56 by pm+3.5, you gave him HC and he shot up to 302 5 hours later.
    His numbers look great, so far, so good! As everyone is saying, go for the LC, see how that works. It will be delightful if he starts to surf rather than shoot to the moon, that's what we want!

This sure does bring back some memories though. The first time Punk hit 62 I was freaking out! I was getting my shoes on and ready to bring her to the ER. However, I was on the board and everyone talked me through it and it was fine......and Chester will be fine. You may, however want to put up some coffee. :mrgreen:

45. Ronnie & Luna

09/15/10 oh yes, everyone is checking that date!

that's what we do best around here, we talk to much :lol:

46. Jaye and Chester

Jaye and Chester Member

What in the world was I thinking to shoot that much?

If this is just a normal cycle, are you sure I don't get to stay at 1.75? *whiningjustalittlebit*

I'm afraid you folks are going to end up cursing the day I joined this site if these situations keep popping up every other day. ;-)

The coffee is a very good idea and I'll admit I've already checked to see if there is enough gas in the car to get to the e-vet.

47. Jaye and Chester

Jaye and Chester Member

What in the world was I thinking to shoot that much?

If this is just a normal cycle, are you sure I don't get to stay at 1.75? *whiningjustalittlebit*

I'm afraid you folks are going to end up cursing the day I joined this site if these situations keep popping up every other day. ;-)

The coffee is a very good idea and I'll admit I've already checked to see if there is enough gas in the car to get to the e-vet.

Should I be giving him more LC soon?

48. Ronnie & Luna

LC is still good here.

give Chester some snuggles cuz I'm gonna ask for a +4.5
    :mrgreen:
    holler nice and loud if you need help.

49. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Sometimes Shadow would surprise me with an early drop while I was looking for the nadir at about +8.
    If you shoot low, which you did, and keep giving a little LC, you can get a very nice lowish surf going.... and this is perfect for Chester!
    Shoot low to stay low!

You can control the numbers with food. If they get too low, you add a little HC to him and that will bring him up significantly.
    but you are doing fine now... :mrgreen:
    NEXT time, you will look at the syringe a few times to make sure of the dose....now you know! It happens to us all..just like the IRON! that was great!
    (I was shooting Raja .2u and giving Shadow his shot of 1.75u...and believe ME, that taught me to double and triple check my syringe!!)
    I bet you won't have to wonder afterward ever again Jaye! ;-)

50. Jaye and Chester

Jaye and Chester Member

Okay, at +4.5 he's 107. Up 5 puny little points.

That dang AlphaTrak...good thing I just got a fresh supply of strips yesterday.

Might have to send DH out for more lancets, though.

51. Jaye and Chester

Jaye and Chester Member

VERY true! I'm always careful to make sure the insulin is clear and where I put it, because my dog gets 10 units of NPH (cloudy) and that WOULD be a disaster!

He's getting very unhappy with me. Anything I can do to make his ears better...he doesn't like the sock. I just pricked my finger with a lancet (whether from guilt or because I wanted to know how much it hurt him I'm not sure). Well...it hurt!

52. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

neosporin is good to apply...
    are you giving him any treats?

53. jennifer & korbel (GA)

jennifer & korbel (GA) Member

Re: YIKES! HELP! 9/18 Chester pmps 132,+3=118, +3.5=95,+5=107

You are in good hands here.
    For the ears-are you able to do blood from both ears? Try to go up and down the ear so you aren't hitting the same place all the time. Also, you can turn down the lancet a bit if you go in at an angle instead of straight through. It's hard to explain, but I go at Korbel's ear at about a 45 degree angle-sort of like sewing. She bleeds easier that way, so I don't have to milk so much.

54. Jaye and Chester

Jaye and Chester Member

He's not a big fan of treats. I've tried several things but nothing is usually successful with him. I'll try chicken breast. I do have Neosporin. I'll try it.

My vet told me to check back in a couple of hours, but I hate to call her at this hour (its 10:45 p.m. here)

Hm...I never thought of going in at an angle with the lancet. Good idea! I'm sure I'll get plenty of time to practice tonight.

55. Jaye and Chester

Jaye and Chester Member

Okay...at +5.5 he's at 100. I tried the sideways ear prick and it worked marvelously. And I put on the coffee.

56. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

binks and i like the white trash ear warming method...slightly damp washcloth in the microwave for 15 seconds. then i slip it in a soft sandwich bag. i make sure the bag is totally dry on the outside, test it the inside of my forearm to make sure its not too warm, then very gently enfold his ear in it till it warms up. i croon silly little songs in his other ear...and chin scritches help. i'm kind of hobbled right now with a leg injury, but he makes it easy for me...mainly for the lovies and the treats.

not sure how well it would work for others tho...remember i'm a newbie with an extremely agreeable cat.
    angling the lancet does seem to really help.

we're having a pj party here tonight...join the rest of us that will be downing coffee and checking our kitties!!

celi

57. Jaye and Chester

Jaye and Chester Member

Re: YIKES! HELP! 9/18 Chester pmps 132,+3=118,+3.5=95,+5.5=100

I can't remember the last time I made a pot of coffee at 11:00 p.m. Somehow I missed the +5. I think I fell asleep at the screen. I don't like that he went down, though.

58. Libby and Lucy

Chester isn't dropping, he's surfing! That's what he's supposed to do, it means the Lantus is working. I'm pretty sure you didn't overdose Chester, or we would have known by now.

Have you been feeding after these tests? You can give him another tsp. of LC and test in an hour, since you made cawfee anyway. If he's still surfing then, leave out food and go to bed.

59. Jaye and Chester

Jaye and Chester Member

I'll fess up... I just gave him about 10 laps of gravy. He's now at +6 (136)

No more gravy, then? He's just about had his fill of food...turned his nose up at the last batch, even when I sprinkled it with parmesan...hence the gravy. Didn't give him much, though.

It's a relief to know you think I didn't overdose him. I can't imagine how horrible I would feel if that ended up being the case.

60. Libby and Lucy

I don't think you need gravy, he's surfing fine. Since you're worried about him dropping later, how about leaving out food, going to bed, and setting an alarm for +8 or +9?

61. Jaye and Chester

Jaye and Chester Member

She says as the caffine from four cups of coffee percolates through my veins! :D

I'm not sure I'm brave enough yet to go to bed. I'm already starting to worry about tomorrow. I know this BCS dose of 1.75 (assuming that's what I gave him *fingerscrossed*) was supposed to be a temporary reduction, but I can't imagine shooting over that number tomorrow morning after having two crazy days in a row.

62. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

You might feel differently when/if you see a Pink or a Red number though, don't you think?

They usually do go up after these low numbers, even if it is for only a little time. Bounces keep happening until they don't happen any more. :lol: Takes time in LTS (Liver Training School)
    This is a nice surf now for Chester...see where the gravy brings him and maybe you will take a nap....
    Good job Jaye! :thumbup

63. Jaye and Chester

Jaye and Chester Member

Thanks to you and everyone else who helped me tonight! I'll bet my vet would thank you as well if she knew the reason she didn't get a second panicked call tonight around 11:00 p.m.

So are we safe to say now that I probably didn't OD him? For some reason it's very impt to me to know that. ;-)

149 at +7

64. Kathy and Kitty

Gee, I was watching a DVD of "Mad Men" and missed all of this action!

Even though I am coming in at the end, I think you didn't OD him.

And even if you had given him the wrong dose, you were right there every second, with the testing and the food.

You had some VERY excellent eyes on you tonight. They've seen bigger mistakes, really!

Thanks for the Blue Wilderness feedback.

And Kitty likes Neosporin Pain Relief. There's also a Halo all-natural salve.

65. Jaye and Chester

Jaye and Chester Member

I saw the date on your post and thought, "No way, it's not Sunday" but it sure is, isn't it? What a night!

I've been putting the Neosporin on his ears but wondering how I'll know if he appreciates it or not.

This site is the best...I'm in awe of how people rally to help others. I felt like you were all here in the room with me cheering Chester on. I think I'll test him once more in 15 minutes then off to bed. He's sleeping soundly all ready and snoring...or is that my husband upstairs snoring? If so, maybe I'll stay down here with Chester!

+7.5= 157

66. Kathy and Kitty

Beautiful cycle.

I've been helped through crises the same way by these amazing, knowledgeable, generous people. What a gift they and this site are, eh?

I think you'll know he appreciates the Neosporin if he continues to allow you to adore and serve him. :lol:

Sleep well. You earned it.

67. Jaye and Chester

Jaye and Chester Member

Thanks, I think I will!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.