9/30 Callie Amps 465 +1 368 +3 315 +5 349 +7 347 +9 399

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Libby & Callie, Sep 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Libby & Callie

Libby & Callie Member

I have the toolkit instructions. I am going to program the directions for the emergency vet (24/7) into my GPS. I have honey on hand (will get karo if it is the best). Also will get high carb wet for the kit when shopping for the low carb tomorrow. I already have the high carb dry that was the choice of my vet, but I have put aside. I'll make sure any given will be just a few pellets since ..as has been noted .. it doesn't work as fast, but will stick around longer and I don't want rebound! My cats don't get treats so will check into that. Their only treats are backrubs for 10 min each and catnip on the scratchy posts. Also plenty of petting throughout the day :) I have plenty of test strips, but will order or pick up new when 3/4 are gone. One backup meter coming up, but will get a cheaper human kind and have conversion chart ready .. and will test with it in advance to be familiar. Getting urine test strips and ketone strips tomorrow and will add some to kit. My meter kit (inc lancets with pen, test strips, test solution to make sure meter is calibrated correctly and of course the meter itself) are already in a zippered pouch with pockets for xtras. Is this all or am I missing something? Again thanks. My blood pressure has gone down and the crying has stopped since finding this site .. so a big WOO HOO to you all! A very grateful sugar cat owner .. Libby (Callie, Missy and Buddy) make 4 who give thanks!

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key ... TuVA#gid=0

Callie 10 yrs old on 9/17/10 dx 6/12/10
    Lantus 2 units BID (U100) since 9/30/10
    HT BG with AlphaTrak & Lancet device
    Now feeding only wet foods
    No ketone reading ever done but now have test strips
    And oh yes .. when should I test for keytones?
    Camp Hill, PA USA

2. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

Re: libbyandcallie

Hi Libby, welcome to LantusLand. Ypu've gotten a lot of good advice over in health. I'm including a link to your post there http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=26279. You'll get a lot more response in the morning, it's late and I'm off to bed. See you later.

3. Anne&Muffin (GA)

Anne&Muffin (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome Libby and Callie, glad you found this place and glad you have started to calm down. It's definitely overwhelming at first. It IS late, and I'm off to bed as well, but I wanted to say hello.

4. Ann & Tess GA

bumping you to the top of the list for some eyes.

5. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

Welcome to lantus land--You have received a lot oif advice & seem to be trying to do all the right things-
    1-Please read the stickys on the top of our homepage-chock full of info.
    2-When you post your heading please put ie: 9/29 Callie Amps 400, +3~300(for example)
    This shows us immediately what her numbers are doing in your heading--One Condo per day & continue it all day & evening-start fresh one next day.
    3-You have all the tools & are home testing--That is great.
    4-Our starting dose here is usually 1.00U, then we increase after waiting 5-7 days for dose to settlle
    LANTUS TAKES PATIENCE & CONSISTANCY! This is how we become successful with it--We stick to a dose for a designated period of time till we see if it works, and increases are done in 0.25U increments. Wait for more advice from other members on what dose may be good for you-Vets know very little about FD and lantus.
    5--Look At The Whole Cat--The numbers are important, but when you see your cat improving, doing old behaviors like before she was sick, better coat, playing--
    this is an indicator as well..
    6-Ask Questions--Someone is here 24/7 to answer your questions--We are a family here , all helping each other--
    You have all the tools we will help you in amy way we can! Welcome to LL!

6. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Libby and welcome to you and Callie! :mrgreen:
    (we have a Libby here also....Libby and Lucy...they have been on the forum for a long time and Libby is quite experienced with FD and shares so much of her experience with us here....)

Great job on getting your SS up and running. We link our SS to our signature...here is a link to the Tech Forum where instructions are given as to how to do that. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18207
    The information that you have in your signature could be moved to a profile with a link to that in your signature as well.... here is the link to the instructions for that: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=25653

I have just read your post in Health....so glad you are here now! Hugs...take a deep breath. You will learn to do that often here. This is a "process" and there are ways to give insulin in a way that will lead to a well regulated kitty and possible one who will go OTJ (Off the Juice) at some point..maybe! :razz:

By posting a condo (thread) each and every day you will get to meet others who are members here inn LL ( Lantus Land). You are encouraged to visit other condos and see what is gong on with all the kitties here in our community. Each day, we post our header to read: Date,Kitty's Name,, amps=___
    We then go back and edit the header with new BG updates, ie: +1=____, +2=___
    Any questions you have, you may post in your daily condo. One Condo per kitty per day.

We also link the previous day's condo to the first post of each day. Highlight the http address from your last condo after scrolling through the list to find it. Then copy and paste it in a new Topic post. This way, e4veryone ca just click on the link and see what transpired the day before. It makes it very organized with your condos all linked to each other. Make sense?

Not sure where you live, but a lot of us use the Walmart Reli-On micro meter. fro now, your Alpha Track meter will be registering about 30 points or so higher than the human meters that a lot of use use. Those test strips are more expensive than most of the human grade meters, so if you decide to switch please let us know that you are not using the Alpha Track any longer, okay?

I see that you lowered to does to 2.0u for this morning. Please change your header to show the AMPS for today when you get a chance. This is your condo for Thursday(started late last night) Tomorrow, you will start a new one for Friday, okay? Just link this one to the first post of the day...

Please come back and post any questions you may have right here, ok? I look forward to seeing Callie's progress.... :razz:

7. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Welcome Libby!!

You've gotten great advice already. Probably what is key right now (just to keep that sense of being overwhelmed at a minimum), is to read the "New to Lantus" sticky as well as the sticky about our dosing protocol. Many people print this information out so they have it as an easy reference.

I'm glad to see you dropped your dose down a bit. Not all kitties start at 1.0u as Roni mentioned. There are a variety of considerations that effect the starting dose. What I will point out is that you will need to be testing actively when you are transitioning to a low carb (LC) wet diet. Many cats' number can drop dramatically due to a change to a LC diet.

Another point -- the dose reduction information in our stickies is based on a human meter. The numbers are slightly different for the AlphaTrack. If you are going to use the AlphaTrack as your usual meter, dose reductions are based on numbers below 80 (not 50 which is for a human meter). You might want to evaluate the relative costs -- the AlphaTrack strips are expensive and not readily available if you're running low -- and you can go through a surprising amount of strips.

Pleases post often. Visit our condos and look at our spreadsheets (SSs) -- it's a great way to learn. And most importantly, ask questions. People are here to help.

8. JacksDads

JacksDads Member

Hi Libby & Callie!
    Really great advice from everyone else so far.
    We're also relatively new to the boards and I just want to say, getting used to how things are done here takes a little while (at least it did for us) but everyone is super helpful and kind, so if you make a mistake or if there's a local custom that makes it easier for people to help you that you don't know about someone will gently guide you in the right direction. Jack's got two of us beans on the boards for him, and things were so hectic here for a while that Yoshi and I were both learning from scratch at the same time without having much opportunity to share with eachother what we were learning, but everyone was still super patient with us. Before you know it, you'll be feeling way more in control of things!

9. Libby & Callie

Libby & Callie Member

9/30 Callie Amps 368
    Thanks again with the great advise! Got 2 readings .. went to other ear (as mentioned here) and they were a quick prick and good drops! Bless you :) I took other advise and did her spreadsheet and the url will be posted after this. I have readings in the pink now and not the RED :))) Thanks again! Libby and Callie

New spreadsheet for Callie:

Camp Hill, PA USA

10. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

Laurie and Mr Tinkles Well-Known Member

Hi Libby! Glad to see you made it over here to LL and started a thread! You will get great advice over here on dosing and all things related to Lantus, don't be afraid to ask questions.

This is a very busy board, so if you need help, go to your first post on your daily condo (thread) and click the edit button, then add something in your subject line to get attention....help or question, something like that. Every time you or someone else adds a post to your thread, it gets bumped up to the top, so that's a good way to get eyes on your condo after you update the subject line. That's what Pat was talking about regarding the title for your daily thread...go to your first post on this thread and put "9/30 Callie AMPS 368" in the subject line. It'll give you some practice!

Don't worry, you'll get the hang of it very quickly! :D

11. Libby & Callie

Libby & Callie Member

9/30 Callie Amps 465 +1 368 +3 315 +5 349

Thanks and will head up to original post and edit now. Her next test in 15 min :) Libby and Callie

Callie's SS

Camp Hill, PA USA

12. Libby & Callie

Libby & Callie Member

Re: 9/30 Callie Amps 465 +1 368 +3 315 +5 349

9/30 Callie Amps 465 +1 368 +3 315 +5 349 +7 347
    Well well .. straddling the fence for a while I guess :) We have stayed out of the 400's all day after AMPS (VBG). Will do same with PMPS 2u and monitor PMPS too. You guys are super! Big sigh of relief and hope! .. BTW have been able to check out others in the community and am finding out even more :) Thanks Libby and Callie

Callie's SS

Camp Hill, PA USA

13. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

Laurie and Mr Tinkles Well-Known Member

Nice job, you have gotten a lot accomplished today! Callie's numbers don't look bad, and the diet change will help. You're on the right track!

14. Ann & Tess GA

Glad to see you are getting settled in. i was a zombie this morning and am only just getting caught up. It's really nice to hear that Callie is taking to wet food. :D

The reason you have to edit the subject of the first post is so that it shows on the list that way. We can see just what's going on. Also if you have a question, put "Question or Help or Dose???" in that first subject line to draw attention. if you condo is far down the list you should also post a new reply, put in anything even just bump, to get it to the top of the list. Just changing you subject does not move your condo up the list!

15. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

Welcome to Lantus Land, Libby!

I don't have anything to add to the great advice you've already gotten, so I just wanted to say Hi to the other Libby (and Callie too, of course).

16. Libby & Callie

Libby & Callie Member

Hey finally get to meet the other Libby :) Thanks for the welcome. I know you have all been through this before .. it does get easier .. right :) Last stick I did was for the PMPS and it barely made it under the 400 wire ..lol. STILL. Big improvement thanks to you all. I needed the courage and you lent me yours! I felt secure in this where I know I would have faltered on my own. I will take your advice and start the new thread tomorrow with the new readings and a link to old posts :) I am going to test again 2 more times before bed. Safety first! Still reading up and catching up now with the other kittys and their caregivers. So many ..lol. It is a community isn't it! BTW can I post Callie's picture here? I would like you to see who you are helping soooo much! Thank you all so very much and I'll update the SS and make a quick stop in before going nite nite. The kids want to play and have been petting my face. Buddy wants to groom Callie too so we are going to relax and have our family playtime in the PM. Callie attacked the little turn around toy my neighbor gave her and played it to death. Ball now missing from post and it is now standing on end .. lol I think she feels just dandy! Hugs to all my new family and will keep checking on your little ones tonight as I finish this 1st evening of reduction and food change. Again .. thanks sooo very much! Libby and Callie

Callie's SS

Camp Hill, PA USA

17. Ann & Tess GA

That is what I would call a flt cycle and in time it will come down into the better numbers. If no one answered you should be doing the ketone testing when a cat is consistently in the high numbers. So I would start, you did say you had the strips? If not your local pharmacy has them.

Yes, we would love to see Callie. There are three things you can do:
    • * create an avatar that will show up on the side of your posts. Go to the Tech Forum and do a search for avatar, there are step by step instructions. http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=486
      * You can put them in your profile , like I have . Again instruction in Tech.
      * If you have them on an online site like Photobucket you can put a link in you signature (or in your profile)
      * Put it in you post directly from your computer. When you are typing a post look just below the text box, you'll see a tab marked "upload attachment", click on that and follow the step by step to up load from your computer. (It has to be under 20 KB to show up in the post or it will appear as a link.)

Ok, that's 4, and there are variations, but you get the idea.

18. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

hi, guys! just saying hello...binks & i don't give advice but we pass out a laugh or two now and then.

glad you're here, and you will be too!

celi & binks

19. Libby & Callie

Libby & Callie Member

Thanks I am going to try the upload from here. Might as well try it. Libby and Callie

Callie's SS

Camp Hill, PA USA

Attached Files:

20. Libby & Callie

Libby & Callie Member

Thanks mybuddybinks :) I always enjoy a good laugh!! Yes I am very happy to find this site and from what I am reading most every post says the same thing. They are grateful to find it and did not know what might have happened if they didn't! I agree :)

Libby and Callie .. very grateful and happy today :) Thanks to all!

21. Anne&Muffin (GA)

Anne&Muffin (GA) Well-Known Member

Callie's a beautiful girl - thanks for the pic!

22. Ann & Tess GA

You did it, what a sweetie. :thumbup

23. Libby & Callie

Libby & Callie Member

Thank you both Ann and Anne ..lol If I said that outloud it would sound like I was studdering:) I kind of like her .. think I'll keep her! She has a super personality. Sweet but determined. I WILL BE PETTED NOW! Ya bettcha ..lol She is a trouper though and if any of them had to have FD she would be the best of mine to handle it. Se would pop up and say "Bring It On" ... Feisty baby. I am going for a rest, but I will post her later results either later tonight or in AM. I need to rest .. mommy is pooped :)

Libby and Callie

24. Kim 'n Shadow

Kim 'n Shadow Well-Known Member

Hi Libby, welcome! Callie is a beauty. You've really jumped in with both feet. Good for you. You'll feel more in control as you gain more and more knowledge and then it becomes less scarey. You should be really proud of yourself. You've gotten a lot done in a short amount of time.

have a good night, we'll see you around the boards.

25. Libby & Callie

Libby & Callie Member

10/1/10 Callie AMPS 468
    Thanks for the compliment, but as you know, when things get urgent .. you have to get busy :) I felt that I waited too long to take control. It is Callie and her good temperment during this that saved me! I empathize with all who have a tempermental baby. It has to be hard. If she can make things easy for me I should do all I can to help her! SOOOOO here we go... Grateful .. Libby and Callie

Callie's SS

Camp Hill, PA USA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.