10/12 Jack AMBG 329: Day 4 of 4: Insulin Moratorium

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by JacksDads, Oct 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JacksDads

JacksDads Member

Link to Day 3 of Insulin Moratorium

Yoshi here. Gave Jack breffies 30 minutes early - we are leaving for a meeting - I'll be back around +1 (10:00 EST)

So with Jack's numbers finally consistent for a few days - I think we'll be starting protocol again tomorrow morning. As we have the microliter syringe now - we'll be starting him on a 0.1u dose, I think. Today will be his last day with no insulin.

I found this tidbit on the low carb diet petdiabetes.wikia page:
    [[ Raw food with proper nutritional supplements are often best for both cats and dogs.
    Note: The carbohydrates shown on the label (if they exist at all) will be by weight, not by calorie content. ]]

It appears they used to have a link to a conversion chart so you could convert the carbohydrate listing by weight to carbohydrate listing by caloric count. So the 1% carbs in Primal is probably a little higher, because I'm assuming it's listed by weight. I already posted a note to the admins of wikia.com that the chart was gone - my quick google search for it brought up all sorts of random calorie/carb/protein counters - but not a weight to calorie carb conversion chart - anyone know where to find this conversion chart?

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

The spreadsheet that is being referenced in the PetWiki article is the one developed by Janet (of Janet & Binky's food chart). If you go to the FAQ section of their site, there is a link the their Excel SS.

3. Anne&Muffin (GA)

Anne&Muffin (GA) Well-Known Member

Good luck, you guys, I hope this little experiment helped, and Jack will just decide to be blue and green once he gets his insulin back. :smile:

4. JacksDads

JacksDads Member

We do think this no insulin experiment helped :arrow: cat_pet_icon .

I believe it's showed us:
    * Without insulin, Jack almost has no swing/curve.
    * All the curves and bouncing previously was likely from Jack trying to adjust to the insulin doses that were changing too fast.
    * By Day 3-4 - you can start to see his overall numbers dropping a tiny bit:
    Average BG:
    Day 1 = 401 (320 to 480)
    Day 2 = 380 (304 to 456)
    Day 3 = 356 (280 to 420)
    Numbers in parenthesis are indicating the margin of error +/- 20% each way

It would be even more beneficial if some of the FB veterans weigh in on what they think the numbers over the past few days with Jack mean - and if you agree/disagree with my above assertions.

Also - has anyone calculated "daily insulin averages" regularly before and used that as a helpful tool?

5. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

Interesting experiment, I've been following though not commenting. Could you put all the info on this new syringe in one spot w/ links? Ie just how you are sterilizing after use , and info on the needles etc.

Janet & Binky's list is % of kcal from protein, fat and carbs. Primal gives the Guaranteed analysis, which you can use but won't be totally accurate. You should be calculating from AS FED which does not have the variable of min. and max. values. To calculate w/out the Excel calculator read Dr Lisa's article on Obesity , she shows all the calculations. I ran all the Primal varieties through the calculator and came up w/ from 7% to -10.8%, because of the vagaries of the min/max numbers they supply. That's why Janet only puts foods in the list when someone was able to get the As Fed numbers.

6. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

the biggest symptoms i saw with cleo when she had ketones were:

lethargy
    inability to walk (it was heartbreaking to watch her try to crawl her way to the litterbox. a 10 ft distance to the litterbox took her over a half hour to make)
    depression
    inappetance
    dehydration and excessive urination/water drinking. she wouldn't sleep in bed with me but felt an extremely urgent need to sleep with her head right next to the water bowl.

the emergency room suggested that an extreme DKA case could be staggering and banging into walls, literally. but the severe lethargy was a big sign that told me to test for ketones and she turned positive after having tested negative hours before. some people notice a smell on their cat's breath like fingernail polish (acetone), but not all people are able to distinguish that smell on their cat's breath.

7. JacksDads

JacksDads Member

I'll be happy to post a link with all the info. But as 10/13 is the first day I'll be testing with this method, I will create the post once I have a 'system' setup - or at least a consistent procedure, 'cuz it's just trial and error right now - so yeah, I'll post it, but not just yet...

8. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

i thoroughly enjoy this condo...and i learn something every time i visit!

celi & binks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.