Can you guys explain bouncing?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Karrie and Maverick, Nov 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karrie and Maverick

Karrie and Maverick Well-Known Member

I'm trying to figure out why the bouncing you guys mention in the posts happens - when a cat say, has a day at blue or green - why do they sometimes bounce high?

I understand the storage shed. I know it is probably related to this. Just can't figure out the bouncing.

Thanks.

2. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

When blood sugar levels drop too far or too fast, the animal will defensively dump stored glucose from the liver into their bloodstream, resulting in high blood sugar. It is a hormonal reaction to the unusually low numbers.
    They defensively dump glucose into the blood by breaking down glycogen from the liver. Hormones epinephrine and cortisol, as well as growth hormone and glucagon will also be released into the bloodstream.
    If a kitty has been experiencing pink and red BGs, even a yellow could cause this bounce. Whatever number appears that is lower than what they are used to, the bounce may occur. Some bounces can last up to 72 hours.....
    hope that helps...

3. Mindy & Max

Mindy & Max Member

Yup, what Pat said. :D

4. Karrie and Maverick

Karrie and Maverick Well-Known Member

It helps a lot :) Thank you.

5. kryskat

kryskat Well-Known Member

Sometimes you'll hear people refer to Liver Training School (LTS) - eventually (well, hopefully) the kitty's body will adjust to being in the lower numbers and then stop bouncing once the liver feels "safe" with those greens or blues or yellows. Sometimes they don't have to drop very low - the liver will sometimes kick in if they drop too fast. Some people give frequent small meals, especially early in the cycle around onset time, to steer the curve when they know their kitties are prone to quick drops.

One one hand - it's good to know that the liver is keeping your kitty from dropping too low - especially if you are out most of the day. So, in that respect, coming home to a high preshot number isn't all bad if you suspect that they dropped low or fast during the cycle. On the other hand, it can be incredibly frustrating if you have a bouncy kitty that just doesn't seem to settle into that wonderful. sort of flat lantus curve.

I used to think of it like a pendulum - high on the ends at first and eventually settling down to a much flatter curve...

6. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Great explanations!! The only thing I'd add is that it can take up to 72 hours for a bounce to clear. The stored glucose/glycogen is metabolized quickly. It takes longer for the endogenous corticosteroids to metabolize.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.