1/21 Logan AMPS 299, +6 294, PMPS 300, +2 254, +9 272

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Kelly & Logan, Jan 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kelly & Logan

Kelly & Logan Well-Known Member

Yesterday:
    viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3321

He came back down from his +9 of 327...I'll take it. Two yellow pre-shots in the same week?! He didn't want any of the Merrick this morning - he just licked it a little. He did eat about 1/2 can of FF on his own before his tube feeding. I think he's pretty stuffed now - left him on his blanket looking very sleepy and full. Hope he has a good day! I'll be going home at lunch to feed him and I'll check his BG then, as well. He's drinking a lot more water, which I expected. He woke me up at 3:45 last night with a wet head and the same thing again this morning when he woke me up...he has to drink from the bottom of the fountain so his head gets wet.

Hope everyone has a good day.

2. carolynandlatte

carolynandlatte Well-Known Member

Re: 1/21 Logan AMPS 299

So happy to hear this! And yes, water, water, water. Latte drinks from late night until mid morning non stop! I call her my lush!

Ive noticed about half the time, or more that once the pred wears off its peak the bg drops a bit. I dont think Linda and Bear see that same thing...theirs is a bit more steady. Curious to see how Logan's bg does.

Im so happy for you guys. Keepin' my eyes peeled on ya! :mrgreen:

3. Monique & Spooky

Monique & Spooky Well-Known Member

Logan looks much better in Yellow! Sounds like he is feeling better too. Hope the trend continues.

4. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Good report...hugs to you all!!!

5. Heather and Jasper

Heather and Jasper Member

Great news :thumbup that he ate 1/2 of a can on his own!

6. Kelly & Logan

Re: 1/21 Logan AMPS 299, +6 294

Still yellow! He ate about 1/2 can of FF this afternoon. I had to spoon 1/4 can to him! I'm just happy to see him eat a little on his own and be in the 200s for a change.

7. Cassandra and Sasha

Cassandra and Sasha Well-Known Member

Sounds like the day is off to an excellent start! :smile: Yellow and eating!

8. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

That is great news Kelly.
    Nice numbers, eating what he can on his own.
    I am so happy for you.
    I forgot to read what happened at the vet yesterday.
    Better gi check now.

Glad to see Logan in yellow!!!!!!!!!

9. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Wonderful news.

It's always such a relief when kitties eat on their own. I take that as a signal to feel relieved.
    And I don't even care if it's just a couple lousy licks at the food; it's still something.

Let's hope the numbers stay good and steady and Logan is able to get bits more food in the belly.

10. Kelly & Logan

Re: 1/21 Logan KETONES - From Pred?! Help!

I just tested Logan for ketones and the strip was bright pink/red the second I pulled it out of the urine - moderate to large ketones. Could this be a false reading from the pred?! He was negative the day before yesterday. Someone please help!

11. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Re: 1/21 Logan KETONES - from Pred?! HELP!

I'd suggest calling your vet. I honestly don't know the answer to this but Carolyn and Linda have not commented on ketones. To be safe, call the vet.

12. Kelly & Logan

I called the ER vet and they said they don't know if the prednisolone would cause a false reading or would cause ketones, but if he was acting fine, then I should wait and talk to his internist tomorrow morning. They don't know? WTH? This is not giving me any comfort. He does seem to feel ok - he ate 1/2 can after PMPS, which was 300. He's getting plenty of food between the tube feeding and what he's eating on his own and his BG is actually lower than normal, so I don't know why he would have large ketones all of a sudden. He was negative the day before yesterday when I tested him.

13. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

see if u can catch another test in the litterbox in the meantime.
    Is ur local vet available by any chance? How does noone at an E.R not know? that's nuts!

Hang in there Kelly!

14. Kelly & Logan

One benefit of the feeding tube is I can flush him with lots of water - already pushed through about 15 ml. I'll get another test as soon as he goes to the LB. I don't understand why they don't know the answer. The tech claimed to talk to an actual vet b/c she didn't know the answer. I'm not sure if it was an internist that was on call or just a regular ER vet. In my experience, ER vets suck! I can't find anything on-line about this yet. He's sleeping on the ottoman right now. Maybe I'll give him some more water! Pee Logan, pee!

15. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Check the expiration on the box of ketostix. I'm pretty sure they have an expiration.

Ronnie's suggestion is good, as well. Make sure your hands are clean and dry before you handle the ketostix, too. The stuff is like pH paper so you could conceivably contaminate it by something you have on your hands.

I'll see if doing a search comes up with anything.

16. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

((( Kelly )))

No answers, just hugs. If he's getting enough food and insulin I hope this is just a false reading. Precision Xtra meters can measure Ketones with a blood test but the strips are pricey. I bought some just in case, and if you consider it there used to be a link on the old supply closet for a good price from someone.

17. Kelly & Logan

The strips haven't expired and I had just washed my hands. I'm getting ready to give him some more water.

From looking on-line it looks like predinsolone is made up of some kind of ketones. I just found this:

http://www.diabetesexplained.com/ketone ... alseresult

What can give false positives in urine tests.
    1. Special diets as discussed previously.
    2. Dehydration that can cause ketones to concentrate in the urine.
    3. Medications, for example:-
    Glucocorticoids (steroids) such as Prednisone
    - a potent medication used to treat many inflammatory conditions including rheumatoid arthritis.
    Levodopa (Sinemet or Larodopa) - used for the for the management of Parkinson's disease.
    Phenazopyridine (Pyridium, Geridium, Pyridiate, or Urogesic) - used for urinary tract infections.
    Valproic acid ( Depakote, Depakon, or Depakene) - used for the treatment of convulsions, migraines and bipolar disorder.
    Vitamin C (ascorbic acid), when taken in large amounts.
    Inositol - part of the vitamin B-complex.
    Metformin - oral diabetic medication.
    Methionine - an essential sulphur-bearing amino acid, potentially beneficial in liver detoxification and in neutralising toxins.
    Captopril and other free sulfhydryl drugs.

18. Cassandra and Sasha

Cassandra and Sasha Well-Known Member

(((Kelly)))

Given the numbers he has been having lately (showing inadequate insulin) and the addition of Pred, which will increase his insulin needs even further, it is possible he has developed ketones. Ketones are caused by a lack of sufficient insulin. The recipe for DKA is not enough insulin plus inadequate food intake plus infection. I would really recommend taking him to the vet just to be sure that the reading is false, as that high of a reading cannot be dealt with at home if it is accurate.

19. Kelly & Logan

Well, his numbers have actually been lower than usual, still on the high side, but much better. He's getting adequate food - 340+ calories a day - and has been getting adequate food for the last two weeks. Prior to surgery/pred/etc, his BG was higher and he wasn't getting enough food and he had inflammation but he didn't have ketones then. Now, he's getting adequate food and his BG has come down so I don't think he should have developed ketones all of a sudden. He's acting fine - actually seems to feel pretty well. He looks very relaxed. He ate on his own tonight. He doesn't smell like acetone, either.

The ER vet said not to bring him in unless he wasn't feeling well or stopped eating.

20. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Kelly
    Just sending some go away Ketones your way.
    Did you test a couple of times? You never know.
    Hope it gets better with the fluids you flushed into Logan.

21. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

at the very least I would get another test as soon as possible. IMHO any cat with moderate to high ketones should be seen by a vet, but unfortunately this is the 3rd or 4th time in the last couple of months that I can remember a vet telling someone not to come in. I don't know why they want to wait until AFTER the cat is sick before treating. To be blunt, knowing that ketones can quickly progress into DKA in some cats, and seeing what DKA did to Lucy and how hard she had to fight to live, I don't know if Logan would be strong enough right now to fight that. That's why Cassandra is being cautious and recommending that you involve the vet.

((((Kelly))))

22. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

I think this is a worrisome finding. I don't frequently test Bear for ketones, but I have never seen a positive result on him while on steroids. My concern would be that starting the pred suppressed his immune system, allowing an infection to quickly take hold. I would be very tempted to go to the vet to get bloodwork and possibly a urine culture done.

Have you tested the strips on your own urine to make sure they aren't all giving false postive readings?

23. Kelly & Logan

Re: 1/21 Logan AMPS 299, +6 294, PMPS 300, +2 254

I tested his BG at +2 and it had come down to 254. He ate another 1/4 can of FF on his own and then I gave him his regular tube feeding.

I've tested his urine twice since the initial test. The second one was slightly lighter (somewhere between moderate and large) and the third one indicated small ketones. I did find on the feline diabetes website where it said some medications can make a false positive. It suggested using the precision xtra meter that also tests for ketones in the blood. I went out and bought one but could not find strips. Can't believe it doesn't come with a few! I went to several places with no luck. The meter was only $15. I did buy some more strips just in case - the third reading was with the new strips.

I also called another ER vet - they said the same thing. If he's acting fine, wait and talk to the internist. I've emailed her but don't expect a response until tomorrow morning. I will also call first thing.

I do think this is a false positive. Between the first test and his feeding, he was super relaxed and even purred for me...a lot! I haven't heard him purr except first thing in the morning since he had surgery. He acts like he feels a lot better. I will get up at least once tonight to get another reading and to see how he's feeling.

24. Kelly & Logan

Lots of purring at +9. He also ate 1/2 can of FF.

25. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

I'm glad he is eating well and feeling good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.