3/3 Leonard - AMBG - 160 NS +10-369 PMPS - 346 +2-313 +4-243

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by steviep, Mar 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steviep

steviep Member

I'm having a tricky time with giving him a shot with these low AMPS numbers since he hasn't been a regular insulin user as of yet and I haven't done a curve.

3/3:
    AMBG:160
    NS
    +10 - 369

PMPS - 346
    Dose - 0.5
    +2 - 313
    +4 - 243

Here's yesterday's info.

Getting blood was much easier this morning. I can't tell if I'm getting better at it or he's just getting used to being poked but it was much faster!

2. Karrie and Maverick

Karrie and Maverick Well-Known Member

Re: 3/3 Leonard - AMBG - 160 NS

Good job!!!! Do reward Leonard after the pokes. Maverick goes crazy for the purebites freeze dried chicken. We get it at petsmart - and in bigger bags in the dog section. He purrs through his shots and needles now because he knows he's getting some of the chicken. Most of the cats on here seem to love it also.

3. Sonia & Tom (GA)

Sonia & Tom (GA) Well-Known Member

It does get easier. Nice number.

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Are you not at home during the day? And, do you have any flexibility with what time you leave the house? I'm wondering if you were to stall giving a shot for a bit if that would work for your schedule.

Ideally, you don't want to be skipping shots on a regular basis.

5. steviep

steviep Member

I'm actually not able to be home during the day today so I thought it best to skip his shot instead of shoot at a low number. I'm going to talk to my vet about all of this as I think the diet change has significantly helped. I'm going to test around his shot time before 7pm and shoot if it's still in the same range since I'll be home this evening.

6. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

Hi guys, don't think I have posted in leonards condo yet .. just wanted to stop and say welcome! I hope you will be able to give leonard his shot tonight .. have a great day guys!

7. steviep

steviep Member

Thanks!! This board has significantly helped me maintain my piece of mind through this so far! I appreciate everyone's help, I know I have a lot of questions as a newbie!

8. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Hi! Welcome to Leonard and you and good luck in figuring out a good shooting schedule. Glad to hear that it is easier to get blood now. That's a major hurdle overcome!!

Ella & Rusty

9. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Lisa and Do Lou (GA) Well-Known Member

Just stopping in to give you a Big LL welcome from Lisa and Do Lou

10. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

so true on the support...it's nice to have a virtual family that understands what you are going through!

celi & binks

11. steviep

steviep Member

I just spoke to Len's vet and told him what was going on with his numbers. He recommends that I dose Len with 1.0 unit based on his weight and his current numbers for the next 10-14 days and not to dose if he's under 180 until I have more information about his levels which is what I have been doing so far and makes me feel pretty comfortable. He says it sounds like he may be going into remission already but I'm definitely not getting my hopes up and his numbers haven't been that low based on my chart but so much better than his diagnosis from a week ago today! (720 BG)

So after work I'm going to test him again then plan for a dose of 1.0 at 7 and see how he does, testing as much as possible throughout the night.

12. Sonia & Tom (GA)

Leonard is doing great. I don't think you should be moving the dose again just yet. Get the preshot reading first and post back.

13. steviep

steviep Member

Okay, will do!

14. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

Laurie and Mr Tinkles Well-Known Member

Hi Stevie, I don't think 1.0u is going to work for Leonard right now, you are having trouble shooting twice a day at 0.5u. It's better to start at a lower dose that you can shoot consistently than shoot once and then have to skip the next shot because he's too low to shoot. Lantus likes consistency. Let's see where he is later, can you test about an hour before shot time and post your number so we have time to talk about dose?

15. steviep

steviep Member

Yep! That's exactly what I will do. I really still feel terrible about poking him in the ear so much but I know it's for his own good. I actually dread it right now.

16. steviep

steviep Member

Re: 3/3 Leonard - AMBG - 160 NS PMPS -

Just got home and tested him - much, much higher now. Up to 369. Should I dose him the vet recommended 1.0 units or stick with the 0.5 for now? I'm going to be around to test him this evening. I'm planning to wait until 7pm to dose which will be his scheduled shot time while I give him his dinner.

17. Karrie and Maverick

Re: Advice? 3/3 Leonard - AMBG - 160 NS +10-369

Lantus isn't dosed based on preshot readings - but the lowest reading you get after insulin - the nadir. So the preshot numbers give the experts help in knowing how a kitty reacts to Lantus, I wouldn't put all the stock in those numbers. Lots of kitties have 400 preshot readings but drop like a stone into the <100 numbers at nadir. Wait for an expert to advise before changing it from the .5 dose. Don't do this on your own.

18. steviep

steviep Member

Re: Advice? 3/3 Leonard - AMBG - 160 NS +10-369

My vet did say to do a 1.0 shot but he initially said a 2.0 which plunged him way down and then they stayed low (too low to shoot according to him). So I'll maybe stick with the 0.5 for now and continue testing tonight.

19. steviep

steviep Member

Re: Advice? 3/3 Leonard - AMBG - 160 NS +10-369 PMPS - 346

PMPS - 346
    0.5 dose

Will test again at +2 and +4.

Definitely getting a hang of the poke - less blood and less time! He still swats me away a bit but it's much faster as I gain confidence.

20. Karrie and Maverick

Going up is so much safer than going down. My vet also started Maverick on 2.0 units. Thankfully we had a week to research diabetes before we started shooting and I was already reading and posting here. So I was home testing and could tell he was on too high of a dose. The people here are amazing with their time and experience and advice. His shed will have to build so some of that .5 dose will be going to rebuild the shed that was drained from the missed shots. You may be surprised at how well .5 works for him, or the experts may advise increasing if it isn't his dose.

21. Sonia & Tom (GA)

Good call at 0.50. Give it some time at this dose.

22. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Nice shooting!! The testing really does get easier.

23. steviep

steviep Member

Re: 3/3 Leonard - AMBG - 160 NS +10-369 PMPS - 346 +2-313

Down to 313 at +2. Planning to test at +4. He's getting used to the testing. Hopefully I can get some blood on the first go soon. Glad to know I'm not supposed to hit the vein, that was terrible.

24. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Re: 3/3 Leonard - AMBG - 160 NS +10-369 PMPS - 346 +2-313

We've all done it. Just keep some cotton around. I use those square cosmetic pads to staunch the blood after I poke.

25. steviep

steviep Member

Re: 3/3 Leonard - AMBG - 160 NS +10-369 PMPS - 346 +2-313 +4

Thanks everyone! Just did a +4 and he's at 243. I'm going to try to wake up and get a +6 in there to see where he's at. He's starting to catch on that after I test he gets a little treat so while he still fusses when I touch his ear he's almost getting to the point of sucking it up!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.