A Break-Up Letter to D’Artagnan’s Diabetes

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by mococo, Jun 3, 2011.

1. mococo

mococo Member

Dear D’Artagnan’s Diabetes.
    Though we’ve only been together in a “facebook official” capacity since February and you’ve seen this coming, but I’m telling you now, it’s over. We are done, thanks for playing.

But let’s be honest with each other, no breakup is ever that easy. We still have some feelings to deal with, some residual guilt, stuff to get out in the air.

You are the kind of bad boy that mama always warned me about, you tossed me around for some real highs and lows, and literally. I always had to pony up the cash in this relationship, and you were never cheap, and I don’t think I’ll ever get over the fact that you may come around again, and I can’t put a restraining order out there for you to stop that. You came on so hard and fast, and next thing I know, you were ubiquitous, filling every corner and crevice of my life. You dictated my sleep, my relationship with others, when I went out, what food was in the house, when I start listing it out like this, you really do sound like a controlling maniacal freak.

It really sucked never getting to sleep in, always being the cat lady, starting every conversation with the bf by saying “what’s cat’s bg?” yeah that’s romantic. Speaking of romance, we had to trade dinners out, drinks with friends, sushi, and parties, for thai take out, tapas deliveries and dinners in interrupted by the beep of a glucometer. How insane is it that ever dinner party we’ve had has been interrupted by you? That is no way to spend your 20s or your first year living together, two plus one kitty is enough, but you dear D’Artagnan’s Diabetes, you made four- and we only have a one bedroom apartment- Over Occupancy. You’ve been evicted. Don’t let the door hit you on the way out. So yes, I am glad to see you gone, leave, don’t come back.

And then these little pangs of guilt come creeping up for saying that. It’s unfair to cast you as the villain in this play. Because of you, I learned a lot more about my cat. Probably more than I ever would have otherwise. I learned what each little meow means, how to interpret his patterns and behaviors, what is normal for him and what isn’t. I learned way more about feline nutrition than what I was learning from the shiny marketing packages, back of the cereal box. As he got healthier, he became this extraordinary fun, playful, active cat. He always had a knack for trouble, he was always way too smart for his own good, but the cat I see now all the time is the cat I only ever saw in bits before. And that wouldn’t have happened unless you had happened. We now get along better, he’s learned more commands and tricks (all in the name of food), we’ve pulled all nighters together to test bg levels, we’ve fretted together when he wasn’t eating, tried a buffet line of wet foods to find what worked, made wet food kitty appetizers to make the food switch, I’ve learned so much about what my cat likes and doesn’t like, how resilient he is, what he will tolerate and do just because he trusts me.

You are the reason I have this awesome support group. You showed me what a kick ass bf I have, who would wake up early on weekends so I could sleep, or who would stay up testing with me, and take my midday phone calls and text that always read “poke a kitty?” Not to be forgotten he took that poor sick kitty on the CTA to go in for an initial evaluation and testing at the vet hours before the blizzard hit, and then trekked out during the blizzard to get him tinned food, all while I was out of town. Then followed up with the best Valentine’s Day present ever and surprised me by paying half that ungodly vet bill. Without you I would have never found FDMB, and let’s face it without them, we would still be in a very twisted relationship; there are no words to describe what they have done for me.

So how can I really be that mad at you? Dealing with you gave me my cat back and showed me that I can pretty much pull through anything. But all relationships, the good, great, bad, and ugly, come to an end. I won’t be listening to all the usual breakup songs, but D’Artagnan’s Diabetes I will give you one: Tom Petty said it best- don’t come round here no more.

-Mo, Kev, and the Frenchman.

2. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

ah, morgan, i love it. that says it all, doesn't it? the good, bad & ugly side of this relationship.

and i'd say marry that man. he sounds like a keeper. i've had one like him for almost 28 years, and believe me, there aren't that many out there.

i hope you stay in touch - you brighten my days! but here's hoping there's no returning from the falls for the frenchman!

3. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

You have a prize & I have also been lucky to have a great man in my life for36 yrs! Has supported me all through this & everything else!
    And for the last 3 1/4 yrs I have had the luck & pleasure of being here...
    WE are all thrilled that your kitty is well & healthy again-If you should happen to come on here, & see s newbie going through something you did, I think you would help them as you were helped--
    Good Luck, May D'Artagnan have a long & happy life at the Falls--And you as well! :mrgreen:

4. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

What a sweet letter!! I hope you are enjoying life at the falls!

5. Tracy & Leo

Tracy & Leo Well-Known Member

I LOVE IT!!!

That letter really made my morning, it made me laugh and smile. I think everyone of us has felt the same at one point nor another. I know for me FD has made me a better person, it makes me think about someone other than myself, teaches me patience, something I never had before.

I hope the 3 of you live a long happy life......together!

Please come back and visit and update us on the Frenchman.

6. Kristin and Abby (GA)

Kristin and Abby (GA) Member

That was awesome! I've written many a break-up letter in my years (though I've never actually sent them) but this one puts all of them to shame! Best of luck to you all in the months and years to come!

7. Patty & Champ

Patty & Champ Well-Known Member

That was probably the most creatively AWESOME thing I've read. I think it needs to be put in the FDMB Hall of Fame so we can all have a giggle when the FD game starts gettin on our last nerve!! :D

I'm so very glad for you and D'Artagnan, and, of course, the amazing bf. May you have many mornings of sleeping in and eating out!!!! :D

8. Georgia and Simon (GA)

Georgia and Simon (GA) Well-Known Member

Morgan, what a creative letter!! I just now grabbed a few minutes at work to look at condos and it really has made my day better. Thanks! I loved the comment about always starting a conversation with your bj as "what's the bg?". My DH and I do that constantly--when he goes home to test Simon and calls me at work, first thing I say is "what's the bg"? Too hilarious! You definitely need to keep that guy because he sounds awesome.

Enjoy your diabetes-free days and sleeping in, but check in often and let us know how things are going. Thanks again for writing such a funny and honest letter.

9. Beth & Atlas

Beth & Atlas Well-Known Member

That is just totally awesome! I love it. Actually while some have laughed...I started crying. confused_cat

PS: You just made my FB fan-page!

10. Jezebel

Jezebel Member

Love it! Welcome to the Falls!
    Debie & Jezebel
    otj_icon​

11. Smokey

Smokey Member

I just loved reading this! It actually brought tears straight to my eyes and I pray that we see many more divorces very soon!

12. doombuggy

doombuggy Well-Known Member

13. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

That's one of the best break-up letters I've ever had the privilege to read. Not to contradict Tom Petty, I do hope you will continue to come 'round here.

14. mococo

mococo Member

Hi All,

I'm glad y'all enjoyed reading it. I laughed and teared up when writing it.

FD is not something anyone wishes for. And once you get gifted with it, all you want is to get rid of it. But during the otj countdown, there was this very bittersweet moment, like the last day of vacation. You don't quite want to leave, but man it's going to be really nice to get home. Being here has given me such support and taught me so much, that I couldn't just walk away and say okay that's it, no more FD, peace out. I knew I would still be coming back to the boards, but I also knew that something would be missing, and that something would be dealing everyday with FD. I felt like I owed FD a little more than just that quick goodbye. And when I started looking back through past condos, I saw over and over again that even through the worst days, there is this insane beautiful optimism that comes from this group, and it becomes instilled in you. It's what drives us forward every day, and I knew that this group would understand the ups and downs of dealing with all the messy relationship that is FD everyday better than anyone.

So thank you for letting me post my massive breakup letter. I had hoped everyone understood the way I felt when I posted it, but reading responses, it's really reassuring to know that they do.

See you around.

-Mo, Kev, and Le Butterball.

15. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

Awesome...and all so very true. Enjoy life at the falls!

16. Christie & Willie (GA)

Christie & Willie (GA) Well-Known Member

Absolutely perfect.

And that boy of yours??? Yeah, he's a keeper!!! :D :D :D

May your life at the falls be full of joy and merriment!!

17. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

fabulous, fabulous, fabulous! Loved it!

18. Jenny and Sue

Jenny and Sue Member

I actually cried while reading this! I know your joy! I'm so glad Artagnan is OTJ. That was a fantastic letter!!!! May he remain OTJ forever!!!!

Jenny & Sue

19. Barb & Checkers (GA)

Barb & Checkers (GA) Well-Known Member

wow. that was something else. I have listened to my mom talk about her relationship with Checkers FD but never in my life did I realize what a complex, frustrating relationship they have. thank you for opening my eyes!

Susan/skin sister to Checkers/Daughter to Barb

20. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

WELCOME TO THE FALLS!!!

That letter made my day! That really should be cross posted over in health if it isn't already right there with the Dear Mom A Letter From Your Cat, for the newbies. That is absolutely the best Break-Up letter I have every read. It says it all!

And dont you dare ever write one of those to that fella of yours..he's a KEEPER, It took me 30 years to marry a keeper like that, who I let get away when I was 17, and boy did I have to kiss a lot of frogs before I got him back. :D

Mel, Maxwell and The Fur Gang

21. Amanda

Amanda Member

I feel like you wrote EXACTLY what I feel like. Hopefully one day Kazi too will kick diabetes out the back door! Congratulations guys!

22. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Well put! Congrats on going OTJ!

23. Melissa & Tarragon

Melissa & Tarragon Well-Known Member

OK. Well I am just getting around to condos from the weekend and ran across this. Morgan, what a wonderful letter. It made me tear up a couple of times and laugh a few more than that. You summed up so much of what we all go through during this journey and I want to thank you for that.

As far as your bf, you are very blessed. I have been married to my wonderful bf for 23 years and there is not a day that goes by that I am not thankful for that. It sounds like you are on the road to just as wonderful of a relationship.

Keep in touch and come see us every now and then.

((((((HUGS)))))) to all three of you!

24. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

Laurie and Mr Tinkles Well-Known Member

I missed this somehow too...thanks for bumping it up, Melissa! :smile: What a great letter, very creative and funny, and oh so true! I especially love the part about how FD tx gave you the cat you only saw glimpses of before.....Mr Tinkles never played until we switched to Lantus and he started to get regulated. I got to watch him learn how to play, literally....at 14 years old. It's a gift that I never could have imagined would come from a disease....truly the silver lining to the FD dx. Well, that and this wonderful group of people here.....

Thanks for putting it so well.

25. julie & punkin (ga)

morgan, i've actually been thinking that i would love to post this as a note on facebook. it might help people understand why i've turned into such a crazy cat lady. would you be ok with that? and if i did, i'd want to give credit to you - so you'd have to trust the internet crazy people enough to give me your entire real name. if you don't want me to, i won't. just let me know.

26. PebsNMunchsReagan

PebsNMunchsReagan Member

Hello Morgan,
    Congrats to you and D'Artagnan on kicking diabetes butt! I'm very new to all this and your letter made me cry, happy tears, understanding tears. I'm going to bookmark this as a reminder when I'm stretched thin.
    Congratulations again! I wish nothing but health and happiness to all three of you!

27. mococo

mococo Member

i'm glad y'all continue to find the moments in this letter that touch you while reading it, there are many that i felt when writing it. FD is quite the little distillation of life- it's complex, challenging, joyful, interesting, funny and never boring. i feel this community embraces and supports each and every moment of that, it's really quite special.

julie- feel free to share and post- but lets not give the internet my full name. we can stick with the nom de plume currently signed on the letter.

28. julie & punkin (ga)

decided to bump this up - morgan captured what many of us feel about dealing with our cat's diabetes - both the positives and the negatives.

i thought some of you early in this sugar dance might appreciate the perspective. there are, oddly enough, some benefits to our cats being diabetic.

29. Linda for Weezer

Linda for Weezer Well-Known Member

WOW! That's all, just wow!

30. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

A wonderful letter, Morgan, beautifully presented. Thanks for writing and posting it. And, yes, hang onto that guy! After 42 years of being married to the same man, I can tell you that it only gets better and better.

Scritches to the Frenchman and best wishes for the holidays to you and Kev.

Ella, Edward, and Rusty

31. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

:lol: :lol:

How did i miss this???

this is great!

32. julie & punkin (ga)

i'd bookmarked the post because i liked it so much. obviously it was from last june but it's just as relevant today. morgan did a great job of writing it, didn't she?

33. Emmy & Dude

Emmy & Dude Well-Known Member

Congrats on getting to the Falls -

wow - what a letter - you put into words what all of us think (have thought). Absolutely purrfect.

Great words - and again, congrats. Job well done for both you and your sweet BF.

Emmy & Dude (& Mittsi too)

34. julie & punkin (ga)

a bumperooni to encourage all the newbies!

35. tpr

tpr Well-Known Member

Love, love this letter! It is a perfect depiction of how FD effects my life. I'm going to make an effort to hang on to the positives during this crazy roller coaster ride!

Thanks for bumping Julie:)

36. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Bump.....because we could all use a smile.

37. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Unlocked for bumping purposes!

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  38. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

39. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

I want a divorce ... (from FD)...:p

Marje and Gracie and Sonia & Leo like this.
  40. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

41. Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA)

Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA) Well-Known Member

Feels so good reading this!

Sonia & Leo and Marje and Gracie like this.
  42. Sonia & Leo

Let's keep this bumped so everyone has a chance to read it!!

Adrienne & Molly (GA) likes this.
  43. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

BUMP! How great to see this letter again! (and to read the posts of the old gang--brings back lots of memorable times)

44. Sonia & Leo

45. Hendrick Cuddleclaw

Hendrick Cuddleclaw Well-Known Member

oh wow. what a post holy crap

bravo indeed

46. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Have you been digging around the old posts on the Board, Kyle? How did you ever find this one? :)