6/13 Peake is our new foster

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Jennifer+Spunky(GA)+Peake, Jun 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jennifer+Spunky(GA)+Peake

Jennifer+Spunky(GA)+Peake Member

I got an emergency call from the vet. They needed someone to foster a 12 year old diabetic that was brought in for euthanasia. He has been diagnosed as diabetic since March. He was being treated with Lantus. His owner suddenly died 2 months later. Her daughter has been caring for him since. She can not keep him because she has an elderly sick cat also. She tried unsuccessfully to get him adopted through local rescues.
    She stopped giving him insulin 4 days before he was brought in for euthanasia. When she relinquished him his spot BG was in the 350's. A fructosamine the next day was in the lower 300s. His previous dose was 1 unit lantus twice a day. The vet expected his bg's to be higher...under stress...etc.
    He also has a massive tooth abscess and apparent resorptive disease in other areas. The vet has reduced his dose to .5 units BID until they can get a curve. He will have an emergency dental tomorrow to address the fractured tooth and any other apparent problems. Unfortunately my vet does not have an oral xray machine. So complete treatment can not be done tomorrow. The local dental expert does not have an opening in his schedule right now.
    The vet thinks he might be able to be diet controlled or is headed into remission.
    Him becoming permanent with us depends on his ability to tolerate 2 boxers..and most importantly how Sophie my other rescue cat reacts. She has feline lower urinary tract disease. Whenever she gets stressed her bladder flairs and causes her pain...and she becomes unable to urinate. The vet placed her with me because she could be an only cat. I can not sacrifice her quality of life. Hopefully they will get along.
    Peake lives up to his name. He is the mountain top of cats. His head is absolutely huge...as is the rest of him! He weighs only 15 lbs...could stand to lose 2...but he's just a big beefy guy!
    My experience is with PZI...so Lantus is something I will need to learn. I know about the shed...that you don't TID shoot etc. I had a high dose acro cat that we had awesome tight regulation of. I won't dream of tight regulation for Peake for many moons.
    We pick him up tomorrow night.

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Jennifer --

How good of you to even consider bringing Peake into your home. Please let us know how we can help. Laurie/Mr. Tinkles is a former PZI users who's now a Lantus convert. The biggest challenge will be that Lantus really requires an entirely different mindset. You'll catch on.

3. Bruce & Simon

Bruce & Simon Well-Known Member

Good Luck & God Bless :smile:

4. Jennifer+Spunky(GA)+Peake

Is simon headed OTJ?

Just looked at your spreadsheet.... WOW!

5. Jennifer+Spunky(GA)+Peake

Sienne..those are some pretty numbers ;)

You look like you test almost as much as I did Spunky....heeheehee. Hope Peake is ok with lots of spot checks.... :cool:

6. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Lisa and Do Lou (GA) Well-Known Member

So wonderful for you to foster Peake look forward to seeing you here :razz:

7. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Wishing you all the best for Peake and your other household furbabies. I hope it will work out. You are doing a wonderful thing.

Ella & Rusty

p.s. I switched my GA kitty, Stu, from PZI Vet to Lantus when PZI Vet was discontinued. The dosing schedule for Lantus is more rigorous, but he did well on it. Much better than on PZI Vet. (It also helped to know what I was doing, because I only found this group after the switch. Had been shooting PZI Vet "blind" for 4 years!)

8. Christie & Willie (GA)

Christie & Willie (GA) Well-Known Member

My best friend from law schoool's last name was Peake, so seeing your new friend's name gave me a smile and some warm memories! So wonderful of you to bring him into the fold in your home... sounds like you've got a good plan in place. I'm sure you'll be a Lantus pro in no time!!

9. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

i like you already. good for you for making room in your life for a new love.

i hope things work out smoothly with your other critters! we'll help you on anything you need - just holler.

10. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

How wonderful! I hope Peake fits right in. There's obviously a lot of love in your house!

11. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

you are an angel...

and Binks says tell Peake that Boxers are the best kind of droolers there are!!

12. Patti and Merlin

Patti and Merlin Member

Oh Jen
    Just found this - hey it took me awhile (and I'm still learning) but finally have the BASICS of the Lantus/lev under my belt. It is sooooo different from PZI - forget what we learned from that I can tell you except to test! How's that for some education! lol

As always - ya know I love you - we've been thru so much together and I'll help you with whatever I can help with - you still have my number and we can talk again about all the trials and tribulations of diabetic regulation - omg!

love always
    xxxxxxxxx
    YOur adopted mom patti

13. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

Hey - congrats! i hope everything works out when Peake joins your home.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.