01/30 KB's AMPS 207 PMPS 198, "(not so) old-timer" intro

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Nina and KB, Jan 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

Nice, flat day.
    Yesterday's thread

A little background for those of you who don't know us.

KB is about 12 1/2, diagnosed in Oct. 2008 after I noticed excessive thirst, pee, and weight loss. It came on suddenly, he was fine in the spring of that year when he had had a dental done. He was up to 6.5 units BID when I joined the FDMB family and we started hometesting, in January 2009. In just a few months time, KB also had developed neuropathy in his rear legs.

By late January, we were up to 7.0 units and I went to the vet armed with acromegaly information and asked to have the test run, thanks to advice I received from people on this board. My vet had done some of her own research and, while skeptical, she admitted they don't have much experience with daily diabetes management at this level, nor had they seen any cases of acro since it was considered fairly rare.

KB's acro test came back positive on a day I had to stay home to work, nursing him through an episode of uncharacteristic low greens. Since that diagnosis, we've also learned that he has spondylosis, particularly at the base of his spine near his tail.

KB's normal weight is about 15 lbs. He takes several supplements for his hind-quarter weakness, which I'm happy to say has vastly improved. His neuropathy has resolved.

A saving grace for us is that he eats well. Always (unless not feeling well). This is truly a blessing and I never take it for granted. We use a timed feeder as there is no concept of grazing in this household. I remember being up in the middle of the night during a bout of low numbers, going through the 15-minute tests, feeding HC, with Jojo commenting, "he is bottomless pit, yes?".

People I've met through this site have been tremendous to us. Someone I barely knew at the time sent me Forti-flora the first time KB had the runs and wouldn't eat, another sent me ketone strips she no longer needed, yet another sent me several lancets. And I can't list all the times people have helped us just by supporting us via the daily condos.

KB shares his domain with two little girl civvies (both acquired since his DX), whom he tolerates (particularly during meal time when he might be able to score a crumb of theirs), and a black lab whom he adores.

Oh, and he snores. :)

2. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

I love this post. I always love to see a bottomless pit kitty (like my Mis Emily). Happy NSOT Day!

3. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

aw KB sounds like a very cool kitty, thank you for sharing!!
    :razz:

4. WCF and Meowzi

WCF and Meowzi Well-Known Member

:lol:

meowzi snores too, i think it's adorable.

are you planning to go to the philly area reunion? they're voting on dates and places over in community - subforum: reunion.

5. Barbara and tuffy

Barbara and tuffy Well-Known Member

What a great post with KB's background. Nice PMPS for him. I'm glad he adores the dog. Tuffy loved her dog (a Rottie), they were together constantly. Tuffy used to wash Heidi's face (which was bigger than Tuffy). Have a wonderful evening. Are you getting snow? And, yes, I agree, this place is the best, it ROCKS.

6. Jen and Oreo (GA)

Jen and Oreo (GA) Well-Known Member

I always love to hear the history again!

What a great post Nina.

7. pjstroop

pjstroop Member

KB is just too cute! What a story to tell..
    He certainly has come a long way.. and is doing soo well!
    Pepper snores too (tee hee)..

Glad that KB is having a wonderful day..
    Have a great weekend Nina!

8. skippy and birten

skippy and birten Member

Thank you for sharing your story with us and I am glad that KB is doing so much better every day! Thank you for dropping by my post as well and giving me support when I feel down ;-)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.