6/24 Guinness AM 184|+2.5 234 More Travel Questions (Libby)

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by linda and guinness, Jun 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. linda and guinness

linda and guinness Member

Good morning all. Thank you all so much for your travel advice yesterday. We are still in limbo and not knowing when or for how long we will be away.

I'm still frazzled and not quite sure what to do. I have a second cat, Harp with a heart condition and on Elavil that I would want to bring as well and I'm not sure he would do well at all on the trip. But mainly my reason for not bringing them is, we, as a family, are already going to be stressed just because of the situation and I think adding meowing cats who hate the car to the mix is just a recipe for a major family melt-down. Also, my mom had a cat die on her while traveling and the vet said it was probably the stress and that just makes me nervous. I did contact a vet-tech service here in San Diego that offers to come and do testing and shooting, but was having trouble communicating with the tech in regards to how Lantus works. He seemed to think it would be no big deal if he shot one of the shots two hours early or late. I really didn't like that idea and plus, he charges over $100 a day to come out. He would also increase his rate if I required him to come at exactly 12 hour intervals.

I keep coming back to my regular pet sitter either shooting both shots (after I move the shot times) or skipping the am shot. I would probably end up flying back without my family so that he only had to miss one shot (at least that's what I'm considering now).

I do have questions regarding reducing the dose. As you can see by his spreadsheet...even at 10.75 units, he has yet to even touch green. It would be very surprising if he all of a sudden dropped to green (and that low 105 blue is from fluids, which he won't be getting while I am gone) after all this time of reds, pinks, blues and yellows. I plan to hold his current dose and not increase it for a while (unless someone thinks I should keep increasing it at this point). Also, how do I decide what to reduce his shot to?

Libby: Could you explain this further...
    I'm not sure what the BCS acronym stands for. Also, I plan to try and keep his food intake at the same 4 meal intervals, 6 hours apart, same amount...BUT, I can't separate my cats like I do normally during the day, so Guinness will have full access to bullying Harp away from his meals. The pet sitter will be able to refill the feeders and feed the evening and morning meals so she can prevent the theft, but during the day, Guinness will probably get more food, while Harp gets less.

Thanks again everyone for taking the time to respond. It really helps to make the best decision possible for everyone involved.

Link to yesterday's discussion:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=46115

2. Lauren&Tommy (GA)

Lauren&Tommy (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: 6/24 Guinness AM 184|+2.5 234 More Travel Questions (Lib

Good morning Linda, I believe the BCS stands for Big Chicken Shot or Bulls*** Chicken Shot..I can't remember. I'm really sorry to hear about the stress taking place right now in your life. You do have your plate full. I think what ever you decide, you will make the right decision for both of you. I too thought that taking Guinness with you would be the best choice. Would it just be you and he in the car along with Harp or are other family members riding along with you?
    I agree with what Carolyn said yesterday, I sure wish I could come take care of that handsome man for you!!
    I'm sure Libby will be by sometime today to check in on you..
    I wish you well with the decision that you make.
    Have a great Friday ;-)

3. linda and guinness

The car would contain me, my husband and our 6 year old daughter...two panting, vomiting, meowing cats and one flask (just kidding about the flask) :D

I just think all around it would be better to leave them home. They don't travel well and the stress is a big factor. My goal is to keep Guinness alive, not necessarily stick to my perfect routine. Where is he least likely to bite the big one? On the road or at home...even with the blind or skipped shots, I'm thinking at home. A lot of things can go wrong on a long, hot car ride. I understand the fears of shooting blind, but he has yet to even get close to green in the past 3 months, I would be shocked if he decided to do it while we were gone.

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

BCS = big chicken sh*t dose. In other words, a reduced dose.

When I travel, since Gabby won't let anyone test, depending on where her dose is, I've reduced anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 of what I'm usually shooting. I don't know if Libby was thinking along the same lines. Often, if it's a matter of shooting a BCS dose because of a low pre-shot, the reduction isn't quite as large. In the case of Guinness and his regular dose, it will take a few cycles for the shed to be depleted which is why Libby was suggesting a larger reduction -- or at least that's what I presume. (And Libby will probably come along and say that's not what she was trying to communicate.)

5. linda and guinness

Thanks Sienne!

If my pet sitter can't do the 12 hour window and can only come at say 7:30am and 5:30pm, is it better to skip the am shot or have her shoot 2 hours early at +10? So many factors to consider, it's literally making my head spin.

6. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

if your pet sitter can't come 12/12, can you get 2 people to come - one in the morning and a different person in the evening? i found my sitter by just calling the vet's office and asking if any of the techs would come. she charges me $15 per visit. I think leaving Guinness at home and trying to make that work is the best idea, even if it's not perfect.

just thinking of what it would be like to be going into a stressful family situation and having to worry about the cat at the same time - yikes. that's not good.

this past week we got our 22 yr old son to take care of him and he did fine, except that if i'd been home i'd have increased his insulin dosage. he needed more and he looks kinda bad. but . . . is there anyone who could just stay at your house? it's summer break - any college students you know that you could teach?

7. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

sorry, I missed this yesterday...

Senario one:I test and shoot his 4:30am shot and leave. Pet sitter comes at PM shot and shoots (no test, she can't do it) and refills feeders for morning. Morning shot is skipped or given late depending on what time I can get her to come by and refill the feeders and shoot again. She comes back at night and shoots and feeds, but no test (which might be bad if she is shooting at 4:30pm after a 8am shot).

What time of day would be easiest for your petsitter to come close to 12 hours apart? If you said 7:00, would she come at 7am and 7pm? Or 8 and 8? It's better to give a late shot than an early one, so I would just keep it simple. If she wants to come at 7/7, then shoot before you leave at 4:30am, then have her come at 7pm, 7am the next day, etc. Right? If she is shooting blind then I would absolutely reduce the dose, though. Keep in mind that there won't be anyone there to keep an eye on him, and also that some cats don't eat as well when their person isn't home. Has Guinness ever had ketones?

If you have reduced the dose enough, then hitting +11 every now and then may not be a big problem, but I would strongly emphasize to her that she should not ever shoot at +10. That would be too much of an unknown.

Sienne is right that 10.75 units makes a big shed, so unlike most cats on a small dose, skipping or reducing one shot or reducing by just a little bit usually doesn't make a big difference.

8. linda and guinness

My pet sitter said the best she could do would be 7:30am and 5:30pm (10 hours). So, I'm considering skipping the am shot, but I may have to do it two days in a row. I don't think I can fly back in time for the next am shot. I've been writing down and figuring it out many different ways.

Depending on when we leave:
    --`Give am shot myself (4:30am)
    -- Pet sitter comes at 5:30pm, shoots blind
    -- Skip am shot
    -- Pet sitter again comes at 5:30PM, shoots blind
    -- Skip am shot
    -- Hopefully, I can fly home in time for pm shot.

Another senario is a friend has offered to come at 7:30pm and shoot (again, shooting blind).
    I could have my pet sitter come in the am at 7:30 and then my friend at 7:30pm at night. My issue here is how high maintenance both my cats are with one eating raw, the other eating canned, one getting a shot, the other getting a pill. It's a lot to ask of a friend who doesn't even have pets.

How critical is it that I move the shot in small time increments to get from 4:30 to 7:30? I'm not sure when we are leaving, and a 7:30 shot time is VERY inconvenient for my current schedule, so I may just have to jump from 4:30 to 7:30...how bad would that be?

Also, what do you think I should reduce his shot to? 8.0u? That's what popped into my head. He's due for an increase to 11u soon. Do you think I should just hold him at 10.75u for a while longer or increase now and then drop the dose. My problem is this family member could hold on for weeks or go tomorrow. I have no planning time.

I'm sorry for so many questions, I'm just not sure what to do. I'm so set with my perfect schedule that I hate changing it and Guinness is doing so much better with the blues and yellows, I hate to lose that momentum.

Lastly, Libby. No Ketones, ever. Knock on wood.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.