9/20 punkin amps 176 +8/132 acro SRT day 2 video

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by julie & punkin (ga), Sep 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

yesterday

the nicest place you never wanted to be . . . any idea who the original author of that statement is? it is so true - you guys are the best!

day 2 - it's just after 7am and he's had a 1/2 dose shot of 7.5units. i stirred about 1/2 tsp of baby food into his water bowl so there would be something to capture his attention for his shot. he took it with mental comments that came my way "what is this? this is no FUD! this is water!! but i'll drink it anyway cuz you been starving me!"

punkin has to be there by 8am - it's only perhaps 2 miles away - first on the agenda is the echocardiogram to check his heart. then they will knock him out and position him back in the same position as the CT/mri scans of yesterday. he has a little pick line on his nose and above his eyes that are their sight lines for helping him be exactly in position. the way the radiation works is that they decide based upon yesterday's tests how much total radiation is needed to kill the tumor. they divide that radiation quantity by 3 days (i think that's a fraction), then by the number of beams (those are leaves) and he will have radiation beams coming from all different directions aimed at the tumor. this multi-beamed, multi-day approach has brought the best success.

in all their aiming they try to avoid the other essential areas, like his optic tracks (see, there was another name for it besides optic thingies!)

they'll call us when he's coming round from the anesthetic, probably late afternoon again.

my hope is that if i give enough details that people understand it, there will be that many more of us to identify acro cats when they arrive at FDMB.

marilyn, some things that point at acro - increasing dose when food is appropriate (canned, low-carb) and testing habits are good, signs of growth like bigger feet, wider muzzle, deeper voice, a rattling sound when breathing, later signs include larger stools, forehead or jaw pushed out. some cats don't seem to show much of these signs. in general acro cats are larger older males, but jazzy and ollie are petite girls - so that's not a foolproof symptom. there is a test that measure the growth factor in the blood. it has to be sent o Michigan State University. i can find it for you later or you can look on the acro support group in the stickies to find it. i gotta go get ready to take punkin.

thinking of all of you today and grateful for your support!

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Re: 9/20 punkin amps 176 acro treatment day 2, radiation

Good luck to Punkin today. You just get to sit and chew on your fingernails!

If you send me a PM with who wants the testing info, I can pass it along or send you the link.

3. SmokeyD

SmokeyD Member

Thinking of you all- good luck!!!

4. Melissa & Tarragon

Melissa & Tarragon Well-Known Member

Good luck to all of you today!!! Thinking of you and sending good thoughts and healing vines your way that it will go smoothly. :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG: Extra scritches to Punkin!

5. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

Goodluck today Punkin! Thinking of all you guys - I hope all continues to go well. tanks so much for the updates!!

6. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

Hi guys, wow I did not realize punkin was already under treatment .. seems like I have been away forever .. I wish you guys the best of luck .. be brave punkin man!!

7. Violet and Garland

Violet and Garland Well-Known Member

Good luck! Thinking of you guys!

8. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

BIG hugs from all fuzzy feet and a couple of them that aren't....we're usin' our knees too...

9. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

Thinking of you today and sending positive energy to everyone involved including the vet beans. Punkin, you are doing great!
    Liz

10. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Lisa and Do Lou (GA) Well-Known Member

thinking of you guys today :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG: cat_pet_icon

11. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

All the best on the radiation today !
    May it zap the evil tumor to oblivion!

12. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

healing energy from us, Punkmeister!!

actually...Transformational Energy...so the tumor leaves and you get back to health!

[​IMG]

13. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

Our heart & soul Prayers for Punkin to come through this with flying colors & for tumor to be ALL GONE Real quickly--Lubs you & we are so thinking of you!! Healing green vines sent to you all! :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :thumbup

14. ehsuan

ehsuan Member

Best of luck to you and Punkin. I hope they get the nasty tumor. Here's hoping for no side effects and great treatment results! Hang in there!

15. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

Best wishes and may prayers for a super-successful day, Punkin (and your beans and Anya, too!!!)

16. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

Best of luck today for Punkin. He sounds like he is taking it so well, I hope that continues. How is Anya doing all alone in the motel room? I hope she gets some extra luvs when you get back too.
    [​IMG]

17. Karrie and Maverick

Karrie and Maverick Well-Known Member

Wishing everything goes perfectly today!!!!

18. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Punkin, Good Luck today, fella! We are thinking of you and sending lots of healing vines, too. Julie, your descriptions are awesome. Thank you so much for setting this down so clearly.
    Wishing you all a good day. Scritches to Punkin and Anya.

:YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG:

Ella & Rusty

19. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

thanks for updating us, julie. we're with you in spirit, but it sure is nice to hear what's going on everyday.
    thinking of you, dh, anya, and punkin and sending positive thoughts as well...

20. skybar22

skybar22 Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing all these details with us Julie. I am sending lots of love and healing vines to Punkin. Hope he continues to do well with this. Big hugs to all of you as you walk through this treatment with him.

If you have a chance I have posted my preliminary info on the testing I am doing between the Freestyle and the One Touch meters.

21. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Ann & Maggie11 (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Julie, good luck with everything today and sending vines and prayers for a good treatment for punkin. Thinking of Anya, too.

22. julie & punkin (ga)

day 2 down! they did get the echocardiogram done first thing this morning - it shows a little bit of enlargement of his heart, but not too bad. Dr. Timian suggested getting it checked again in 6 months to see if it improves or not - but that's not covered as part of the study, unfortunately. i doubt there's anyone in our area that does it, but probably in Portland. we'll see how he is at that time.

got the first dose of radiation. he seems utterly content to be back in the hotel room. i took a little video of him. forgot to answer you yesterday, karrie - anya would love to be loving him up, but he's only got food on the brain. she starts for him and he goes for the dishes to check and see what's available. i do think it's better having them together, though.

we're spending a lot of time in the hotel room so anya's not alone too much. neither one of us is much into shopping - there are great trails around but i don't want to leave anya for hours. this morning after we dropped off punkin, i'm embarrassed to admit that i went back to bed and slept until noon! can't think of the last time i did that! it was awesome. we went out for lunch and then i tried to get anya to walk on the leash right outside the room. we're on the ground floor and the back faces a side street with little traffic. she turned into a slinky quivery mess, so i brought her back in. no point in scaring her.

the video will be done in about 1/2 hour - i'll post it then. sure appreciate everyone's comments!!!

23. SmokeyD

SmokeyD Member

Re: 9/20 punkin amps 176 +8/132 acro SRT day 2 done

I'm so glad to hear that day two went so nicely and that Punkin is hungry! Does he get to eat? Hope you all get some rest tonight!

24. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Re: 9/20 punkin amps 176 +8/132 acro SRT day 2 done

Keeping you all in our thoughts and prayers. One radiation day down. Glad you are getting some rest. I'm so glad you took Anya. Continuing to send you lots of hugs and love.

25. julie & punkin (ga)

[youtube]auU3qk3agxc[/youtube]

he's decided the turkey baby food is garbage so anya can have it instead. he liked the chicken yesterday, but this is a getting a big thumbs down. he's doing better than i expected.

hahaha, ok i just looked at that video. it's definitely lacking in action and punkin looks rather pathetic scouting for leftover crunchie cooties in the washcloth. anya can't resist dragging that washcloth around and covering up any leftover food.

oh well, you can hear him purring and that was the point. he's doing fine.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  26. Jacspets

Jacspets Well-Known Member

Wishing you all the best for tomorrow and the rest of this journey!

27. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

The video is great! Punkin is doing so well. He is such a sweetheart. I totally sympathize with his focus on fud! I'd be that way too. How nice to sleep until noon - good for you. Did you have a bed buddy? Besides DH. :lol: :lol: :lol: I hope all goes well tomorrow. We'll be thinking of you.
    Liz

28. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Ann & Maggie11 (GA) Well-Known Member

What a great video! Punkin looks like he did well with the radiation treatment and is happy to be back with the family/ I heard some crunch, crunch there. So nice to share with Anya, too! You must be feeling so relieved that all went well.

29. carolyn & jesse (GA) & spock

carolyn & jesse (GA) & spock Well-Known Member

Oh, poor, poor Anya :cry:

I am very glad that you brought her though - I'll bet Punkin feels very comforted by having her there (a little bit of normalcy) :smile:

30. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

Awwww...so sweet. Listen to that purr!!!!

31. Karrie and Maverick

Karrie and Maverick Well-Known Member

Julie that video and his purr just melted my heart completely. I always wanted to get Maverick's purr on video. Thought I would have lots more time to get it. Hearing Punkin purring after his eventful day is beautiful. Did the vet explain how the radiation itself would make him feel? Is it more the anesthetic? Why just baby food and not wet food?

32. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

awww, how can you not feed that poor starving creature? :lol:

I'm glad to hear he is doing so well. The folks at CSU must be just amazing. I can't remember anybody coming back each evening saying their cat was really uncomfortable.

33. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

What a sweetie. Thanks for taking the time to put up the video. .

34. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Punkin is a joy to watch. He looks so good. I hope he gets something tasty for dinner tonight!
    We are continuing to send good thoughts and prayers for Punkin's successful treatment.

Anya, you are doing a great job!! (You too, Julie and DH!)

Hugs. Have a good evening,

Ella & Rusty

35. Patty & Champ

Patty & Champ Well-Known Member

I've been way too busy with work and my DD's b-day to visit and didn't know until today that Punkin was having the radiation treatment right now. He sure looks sweet in that video!!! He looks tired and entirely kissable!!! I think Anya needs to be there with Punkin. She knows something's going on. Animals have some of the best instincts. She probably just wants to follow Punkin around just to be close to him. Sooo sweet!! You and your husband are really awesome to do this for Punkin. I'd kiss you if I could!!!

I'll keep checking in for Punkin updates. I love him as if he were mine!!

36. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

AW, a Purring Punkin makes my heart smile!

and I LOVE your voice! obviously, the kitters do too.

that made my night....thanks, julie!

37. Michelle & Jetson

Michelle & Jetson Member

Hey Julie! Glad to see Punkin doing well after his first treatment :smile:
    Thanks for posting the video - so cute! Hope the rest of the treatment goes well - sending positive vines your way

Oh, sleeping till noon is a fabulous way to spend the morning! :lol: maybe I'll get to do that again one day too :smile:
    Hugs to Punkin and his entourage!

38. Georgia and Simon (GA)

Georgia and Simon (GA) Well-Known Member

I am so far behind in catching up with everyone's condos and am just reading about Punkins day today. Punkin looks really good in the video and doesn't seem to be feeling the effects of the radiation too much. Sending lots of hugs and prayers to you, Punkin, Anya, and DH.

39. Christie & Willie (GA)

Christie & Willie (GA) Well-Known Member

A "boring" furry purry Punkin and Anya video just warms the heart!! So glad to see he is doing so well and that the treatments are going well! Most of all, glad you are able to get in some REST on this trip... good for you! Continuing to keep you guys in my thoughts and prayers!! Give the kids a scritch and a smooch for me!

40. Violet and Garland

Violet and Garland Well-Known Member

Love the video!! What a handsome fluffy man!!!! I just want to cuddle with him LOL Anya too!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.