11/6 Tawny amps +24 211 not eating lethargic Advice Pls!

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by DD & Tinkerbell, Nov 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DD & Tinkerbell

DD & Tinkerbell Well-Known Member

Know I don't post often but know you all will be here when I need you,& I need advice now.

Edited to remove 911 icon for now about 2 hrs after original post but still watching Tawny closely ~ Desi

Edited about 1 hr after first post to add possible 911 ...

Tawny's SS is not up to date, sorry, I am at what I now call that horrible store I bought between 60-70 hrs/wk, updating her SS was on my list of things to do today, my only day off b/c the store is closed. 14 mos left on the lease, then I am bailing. I am updating SS now, starting from today and going backwards....

Anyway about Tawny: I test, put her bowl of food in front of her, if she is eating she gets her shot. Currently she is getting 1u BID b/c she was on 3.5u but her #s were all over the place, she would dip down to mid-greens then go to high 200s, then be in the 100s, then go to mid-greens, often too low for me to hoot and leave her for 12 hrs at a time, so about 2 wks ago when she was cruising the mid-blues sort of regular but dipping too far into greens for me to leave her and therefore skipping shots I decided to start her over at 1u and see if I could finally once and for all get her regulated.

She did really well on this in the blues up until yesterday when I did the a.m. test, feed & eat thing but she only ate 4 or 5 bites and then she quit but I had already given her the shot, I think she was around 120-something. So I am freaking out b/c now I have hooted her and she has stopped eating but of course I have to leave for 10 or 12 hours and cannot ck on her all day so I put her in a room by herself where the other cats could not get the food and put some water out for her and left her in there until I got home that night, checked on her and she was fine but had not eaten. Her # last nite was too low to hoot b/c she still would not eat so I skipped her shot.

This morning she is lethargic and still not eating and tested 211 @ +24.

Question 1: Should I force feed her?

Question 2: Should I give her her shot?

I will be home all day to watch over her.

Desi

2. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I'm posting from tbp, and can not stay on the "net". I am just sending Feel Better And Strong Eating [​IMG] Vines to Tawny.
    Since this is your only day off, can you take her to the vet?

I can only offer to cyber hugs, and hope and pray that everything goes better for Tawny.

3. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Okay, quickly before I have to log off. I think it is very important that she eat. Try all the normal enticing things.. like toppings, warming the food, finger feeding, lunch meat, tuna, etc. even higher carb food.
    If that doesn't work, then I would add the 911 to this post if you are not getting any responses. Sorry to be so dramatic, but I don't want your post to get lost in the shuffle.

4. Tena and Curry(GA)

Tena and Curry(GA) Well-Known Member

Can you check for ketones?

How long has it been that she last ate?

If she's lethargic and you can't get her to eat, you might want to consider an ER visit. The lethargic piece concerns me.

5. DD & Tinkerbell

Ok I am going to go try to force feed her some liquidated Friskies chicken. Should I hoot? 1u is current regular dose, in fact I had planned to raise it today to 1.5u.

Thanks Dyana.

Desi

6. DD & Tinkerbell

My sticks are old, I will run to town in a little bit and get some new ones, but she is not peeing.

About 24 hours, I am force-feeding her some liquidated Friskies LC Chicken now.

Me, too.

Desi

7. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Have you taken her temp?

8. ohbell

ohbell Well-Known Member

I would not shoot right now - she is not that high - especially if she is not eating.... How much has she ate by force feeding??

9. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

i am not skilled in sick kitty care but i know others will continue to help you with that part.

but fyi, at anything less than a dose of 3 units you should only adjust the dose by .25u. a change from 1 unit to 1.5 unit is 50% and that is too much.

to summarize - are you saying she's not eating, not peeing and lethargic? if she were mine, i'd probably head to the ER vet. but as i said, i'm not good on the sick kitty part.

10. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Desi,

I agree that you should get Tawny to the vet/ER. You don't want this to snowball.
    Sending you lots of healing vines and I hope that someone more knowledgeable will be along to help you figure out what might be wrong.

Sorry to hear about your store.

Ella & Rusty

11. DD & Tinkerbell

That's what I thot too, so no hooting for now.

She force-fed ate about 5ml of liquidated Friskies LC chicken about 1/2 hr ago, then just now about 8ml more.

Desi

12. DD & Tinkerbell

No, how do I do that? Can I use a human thermometer? Don't have a vet one. Need to put that on the list for sure ~ Desi

13. DD & Tinkerbell

Re: 11/6 Tawny - ketones unsure - not eating lethargic

When I went to her room about 5 min's ago to force feed her a little more there was a little pee on the floor (concrete floors thank goodness & with 17 cats it happens) so I stuck a couple of those old stix I have into it and no ketones showed, -- tested it twice -- but I am not sure it was her urine but I did not notice it earlier, I always clean it up right away, plus those sticks are a few mos. old.

Desi

14. DD & Tinkerbell

bump...don't even know if bump works any more!

15. Tena and Curry(GA)

You asked about how to take her temp.

When Curry was a kitty she had a reaction to her vaccination shots. I tested her temp by placing the digital thermometer as close to her anal opening as she would allow. It was 103 and climbing.

16. DD & Tinkerbell

Firefox keeps kicking me out...

Normal temp is ????'

on google says around 100?

17. Barbara and tuffy

Barbara and tuffy Well-Known Member

Normal temp in felines is 100.5 - 102.5. Good luck. Pe

18. DD & Tinkerbell

Just talked to Venita, for those of you who do not know Tawny's history she is a DCIN cat that came here as a foster and is now what is known as a "failed foster", meaning this is now her furever home.

still work closely with DCIN on her care now, so glad I got ahold of Venita and she is on board, and I will keep posting.

keep an eye on us please everyone.

19. Tena and Curry(GA)

I have to say that Tawny is one beautiful kitty.

Sending healing vines and snowflakes.

Keep us posted on how she is doing.

20. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

I just spoke to Desi because Tawny is a DCIN-placed cat.

My suggestions were:

• Vet if Desi feels the need.
    • Test ketones as soon as have fresh strips. If Tawny pees before ketostix get there, catch the urine.
    • Test BG level--its been since this morning that she has a test and more than 24 hours since last shot.
    • If ketones are trace or less and BG levels have risen, give at least a token dose of Lantus. (If ketone are > trace, vet.)
    • Take temp with human digital thermometer up the butt. (If fever, vet.)
    • Keep assisted feeding. If favorite wet food doesn't work, try tuna in water or all-meat baby food.
    Tawny's BG numbers aren't bad. The problems are lethargy and inappetance, and that has only been maybe 36 hours. Tawny is young (maybe 5), my Ennis is old (18+), but Ennis becomes lethargic and inappetant when he is constipated. Desi couldn't say when Tawny last pooped, so I also suggested:

• A dose of mineral or olive oil by mouth.

I also asked Desi whether Tawny could have gotten into something toxic. Desi said no. She said she is good about keeping those sorts of things away from the cats and Tawny hardly goes outside.

21. DD & Tinkerbell

Re: 11/6 Tawny +28 234

BG is 234 @ +28 now, she has been force fed about 25 ml of LC liquidated friskies ckn in the last 4 hours, I am trying to feed her 5-10 ml every 15-30 minutes.

Venita, do you want me to hoot a .25u dose since she has risen a little?

Desi

22. DD & Tinkerbell

Re: 11/6 Tawny +28 234

Just talked to Venita, we agreed I should hoot a quarter unit so I did.

New digital thermometer and new strips on the way, however Tawny has not peed.

The digital thermometer I have is old, I tested her with it and her temp is low, 97.7, but the thing may not be working, it never beeped at 60 secs. will retest w/new one shortly.

Desi

23. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

I would Desi. A lack of insulin is one of the components for DKA.

Also, you might want to also give her water by mouth to keep her hydrated. I usually use lukewarm water, small amounts but not too fast. Maybe 5ml every hour. Not too much or too quickly because that could cause her to vomit.

24. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Desi --

Until new supplies get to you, test yourself with the thermometer and the ketostix. It's the best way to know if they are working.

I agree with Venita -- if there's the possibility of ketones, insulin is necessary as is food.

25. Emmy & Dude

Emmy & Dude Well-Known Member

Desi - have nothing to add to the advice you've been given - at least you've been able to force-feed and get some food inside her.

Dude also gets lethargic and his numbers really go up when he gets constipated - usually a little miralax at that point and everything settles back down. Has she ever had ketones?

Wish I had some better advice to give but I have none - please know that I'm sending many healing vibes your way for your sweet beautiful girl - if not better, would definitely get her to see a vet.

Keep us posted.

Emmy & Dude (& Mittsi too)

26. DD & Tinkerbell

Re: 11/6 Tawny temp 98.9 Cause for Serious Concern?

her temp is 98.9, she has been lying on the floor which she always does which is concrete, so that may account for the low reading.

Is this low a number cause for serious concern?

27. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

just sending Tawny the strongest possible "feel better" vibes...

28. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Desi has tested Tawny's urine 5 times and it is showing large ketones.

Desi--

Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care, LLC
    2611 Florida St.
    Mandeville, Louisiana 70448
    Phone: 985-626-4862

It's about an hour from you. Penny is answering the phone. There is a vet on site 24 hours. $105 for initial intake.

If there is urinary discoloration from, for example, blood or bilirubin, it could be throwing off the ketostix results for urinary ketones. One of the first things a vet should do is test blood ketones. Full blood workup will report blood ketones.

I will keep trying to call you.

29. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Desi --

I'm concerned about the hypothermia. This can be serious and it can be a signal for a range of other problems. It's something that needs to be addressed -- possibly quickly. Can you get another temp reading?

Also, you need fresh urine for an accurate urinary ketone test. Aside from not knowing how long the sample may be good for, the reading that you get even with a fresh sample reflects a ketone level that's several hours old. You want as fresh a sample as possible. Otherwise, what may be a trace when you use an old sample could be large ketones a few hours later with a new sample.

If you are concerned about constipation, I would suggest Miralax mixed in with the food you're syringing. I think I read somewhere that syringing oil could cause choking or cause Tawny to aspirate the oil into her lungs.

30. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Sending the Strongest of Get Better Vines to Tawny (((((Desi))))).

31. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Tawny is in intensive care at a 24-hour ER and Specialty Center with DKA and possible pancreatitis.

Desi has a one-hour drive home, so if she posts yet tonight it may be late.

DCIN has started a chip-in for the ER costs. Tonight's charge is $1200.

Please, prayers and good thoughts for Desi and Tawny. Desi is really crushed that her dear girl is so sick.

32. Tena and Curry(GA)

((((Desi))))) (((((Tawny))))

33. Emmy & Dude

Emmy & Dude Well-Known Member

Oh, no - I'm so sorry to see this - sending many healing prayers and vibes - will watch for update.

Emmy & Dude (& Mittsi too)

34. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

Hugs, healing vines, snowflakes and white light in abundance.

35. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Snowflakes and Healing White Light for Tawny
    [​IMG]

36. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Sending prayers, healing vines, snowflakes, and positive thoughts for Tawny. We hope she is feeling better this morning.

Many, many :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG: s

Ella & Rusty

37. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Ann & Maggie11 (GA) Well-Known Member

So sorry to read the news of Tawny in the ER. Lots of healing vines and prayers. Will be looking for a good update.

38. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Prayers and Purrs coming for you both...

Get well quick Tawny

Mel, Maxwell, Musette & The Fur Gang

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.