11/7 Smokey Weekly Update- question about houseplants

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by SmokeyD, Nov 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SmokeyD

SmokeyD Member

Smokey continues to do well. We are transitioning from FF to Wellness and he seems to like several of the Wellness varieties- just not the super fishy ones...

I do have a question about plant eating.... Smokey is a plant eater. He loves to eat cat grass and has started chewing on a new peace lily that I got. I looked online and that plant is toxic to cats... The plant now has a new location so there will be no more chewing... I'm pretty sure that there was no ingestion as the leaves are just shredded- not eaten and Smokey seems just fine. The thing is, I'd like for the plant to go back to it's old location if possible so that it gets enough light. Does anyone have any experience with bitter spray or tricks I can use to prevent Smokey from eating it?

I hope all of the kitties are doing well. It looks like there are some kitties in need of thoughts and prayers. I think about all of you and the kitties every day- even if I'm not posting- LLand is a wonderful place with wonderful kitties and beans.

Gwen

2. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

mmmm gwen, i don't know. i had a peace lily and i moved it outside. never tried the sprays, although a chicken wire cage would (while lovely to look at) keep smokey from eating it.

nice to see you!

3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Personally, I would get rid of the plant. You risk renal failure with a cat and lilys. Devon had a very close call with Mocha. I just don't think it's worth it.

4. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

I agree, get rid of the plant, it is not worth it!

Peter brought me home flowers that contained a lily in them. I never knew they were so deadly to cats but since twix is a curious cat, I moved them to the top of the fridge while showering. I came out only to find twix on top of the fridge looking at me .. there was a lily petal on the counter so curiosity got the best of me and I googled to see how bad they were for cats .. Once I saw enough info, I called the vet and rushed twix up there ... They ran tests on her and her values were all normal, but they used charcoal in her for any poison absorption and then for the next five days I had to return her to the vet for more fluids and more blood work ..

The vet told me only because of how fast I moved and got her to the vet was the reason twix did so well and did not have any fatal effects. The poison from those plants can kill cats in hours ..

Please, remove the plant ..

5. SmokeyD

SmokeyD Member

While it appears that the peace lily's aren't as bad as actual lily's for cats (apparently there is a bitter taste to them so cats don't eat much) it looks like the plant is going out the door... Does anyone know of a good, low light, non- toxic plant?

6. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

Glad to hear the plant is leaving your house .. better safe then sorry!

7. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Try a ZZ plant. Even I haven't been able to kill this plant (low light, low water needs) and the cats leave it alone.

8. SmokeyD

SmokeyD Member

So I did some searching... Looks like African Violets, Bamboo and spider plants are all on the ASPCA non-toxic to cats list and are low light.. So we'll try a spider plant... the thought never crossed my mind until I watched him actually jump on the couch and start chewing- he hardly leaves the bedroom but, it seems that plants will get him going!

Thanks guys!

9. Barb & Checkers (GA)

Barb & Checkers (GA) Well-Known Member

Pothos is also non toxic to cats. I have them all over. Those and Spider Plant, are all I trust, 'cause Checks is a plant eater....and puker. :roll:
    It's safe for birds too. Mine like to shred them.

10. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

be careful regarding the bamboo, should you choose it.
    "lucky bamboo" the most common sold, is actually "dracaena sanderiana"...
    which is a member of the lily family and HIGHLY toxic to animals...
    it is more hardy than true bamboo, and therefore more widely marketed.

celi

11. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

Gee whiz. So glad you posted this condo. I wouldn't have been aware of the dangers.

Kitty LOVES to eat plants...and then barf. Kitty loves also to eat organic cat grass from PetSmart...and then barf. Would love to find something that would satisfy that "outdoor cat" experience, without toxicity...and barfing. :lol:

12. Sonia & Tom (GA)

Sonia & Tom (GA) Well-Known Member

Spider plants do not survive in my house if within reach. Way too tasty!

13. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

African Violets are easy to grow. Neither Emma or Leroy have touched my African Violets. I eventually had to move the plants to work because I guess my bedroom is too bright and/or too warm for African violets and I don't have anywhere to put it in the living/dining area :-| Now I'm plant-less and also looking for a safe plant. Leroy goes absolutely nuts over cat grass @-) Emma couldn't care less for it.

I wonder if cacti would be ok? The sharp needles would in theory deter a cat from trying t eat it.

14. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Silk plants. That's what I use......definitely no problem with kitties eating them or them needing water :lol: :lol: :lol:

I used to have a TON of house plants but every time we moved (every few years), I had to get rid of them and start all over so I just bought silk. I do have Teddi Bear's mini rose on the catio.

15. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Good point :lol: Although I still worry about Leroy trying to eat the fake plant and eating whatever he rips off nailbite_smile At least if he flings the plant around he's not going to make a huge mess or damage anything.

16. Karrie and Maverick

Karrie and Maverick Well-Known Member

Thanks Celi - I just found out I have lucky bamboo. Will be throwing it out before I go to sleep tonight.

17. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Good thing to get rid of the lily, Gwen. I would get a spider plant. They are also easy to care for, and cats like batting the offshoots.

Stu loved flowers and plants and we had to tell guests not to bring flowers because he thought they were for him. Tulips are especially dangerous. Fortunately, Rusty ignores all our houseplants, even the catnip we grew for him!

Nice to see a condo for Smokey

Ella & Rusty

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.