11/14 Tawny Back in Hospital P.M. Update

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by DD & Tinkerbell, Nov 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DD & Tinkerbell

DD & Tinkerbell Well-Known Member

There is not much to tell at the moment, I spoke to them about midnight.

yesterday: Tawny is Back in the Hospital (11/13/11)

11/14/11: Her ng tube is back in and she is getting the "continuous infusion" just like before and she was "resting comfortably." The tech I spoke to did not have her chart in front of her so did not know Tawny's BG #s, hopefully they got it down off the 300s-340s she was running when she came home.

Basically we have gone backwards a week and she is right back where she started from last Monday/Tuesday if not worse.

Please continue to send all those healing vines, prayers and snowflakes and don't forget to include Jill & DH & Alex in them, they need us now too.

I am expecting a better update from the clinic about 10 a.m. after the Internal Medicine docs have had a chance to really look Tawny over and do their rounds. I will keep you posted.

Desi

2. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Ann & Maggie11 (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: 11/14 Tawny Back in Hospital A.M. Update

Morning and healing vines, prayers and snowflakes continnuing for your sweet Tawny. We will be watching for a further update and a positive report. Prayers for you, too, for strength.

3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Desi --

Were ketones present or is this more a matter of addressing the hepatic lipidosis?

4. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Angela & Blackie & 3 Others Well-Known Member

Continuing to send you tons and tons of healing vines and positive thoughts for your sweet Tawny. May she make a full and speedy recovery, and come home soon. :YMHUG: Thank you for the update.

5. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

(((((Desi & Tawny))))
    We are thinking of you this morning and hoping that Tawny will regain her recovery. Lots of prayers and healing vines heading your way.

Ella & Rusty

6. DD & Tinkerbell

I could not get a ketone ck b/c she did not pee for over 24 hours. The times she did pee that I saw after she came home were either 1-in the litter box and then the other 3 on the shower floor, but I had no way of knowing how old it was or if it was contaminated (shower water, soap residue) so I did not test it, just washed it down the drain. That was mostly on Friday, then after about mid morning Saturday there was no further evidence of urination whatsoever.

D

7. Linda for Weezer

Linda for Weezer Well-Known Member

Prayers for sweet Tawny.

8. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

you are in our thoughts and prayers...

9. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

definitely in our thoughts and prayers .. get better sweet girl!!

10. Barbara and tuffy

Barbara and tuffy Well-Known Member

(((Desi - Tawny))) Sending white light, positive vines, healing vines, snowflakes and long-distance Reiki. Thanks for the update.

11. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

Kepping Tawny in our thoughts today!Sending white light and snowflakes.
    [​IMG]

12. Melissa & Tarragon

Melissa & Tarragon Well-Known Member

Thinking of you and Tawny. Hope the update is a good one!! Healing vines and snowflakes coming your way!

13. DD & Tinkerbell

Re: 11/14 Tawny Back in Hospital

I talked to Tawny's doctor and they said she is already doing better. They are keeping a close eye on her and leaving her ng tube in just in case again.

Her BGs came down from the low 300s she ran the 2 days she was home from the hospital the first time to around 240 this morning. She is getting her regular 1u of Lantus.

She is back on IVs and still has the ng tube but they said they sat a bowl of Meow Mix in front of her this morning and she dived into it! That's the word the vet used, "dived"!

So Thank God she is eating on her own again or at least she did this one time. They are going to keep her in the hospital at least two more days to make sure that she continues to eat on her own and does not have a relapse again.

I feel awful, it's almost like she hates me...she never used to hate me...but why wouldn't she eat once she came home??????? Perhaps Tawny didn't like being in a room all by herself once she got home but of course I put Tawny in there to keep her safe from some of her rowdier critter brothers and sisters. And I spent a lot of time in there with her. Venita, bless you Venita, you are so patient with me, said that some cats are just social eaters, and Tawny always eats in a room with Tinkerbell (OTJ) and Rocket. And even when Tawny was home and I let her out of her room she slept next to me some, she wouldn't sleep next to me if she hates me, would she?

I feel awful about this. But at least she is doing better and getting some more help.

Thanks everybody, please keep all the healing wishes coming and don't forget to send them to Jill & family too.

Desi

14. Karrie and Maverick

Karrie and Maverick Well-Known Member

Remember she has a lot going on.

I hate to sound like a real pest. You have to push for anti nausea medication. Vets don't understand nausea in cats. FHL is horribly nauseating. I've been on the assisted feeding board for three years. I see how the right antinausea medication helps cats. My dad had liver failure. He could verbalize how horrible he felt. Our cats can't. Ask for ondansetron or dolasetron.

Tawny is getting calories at the hospital and fluids. Two things she wasn't getting enough of at home. Can they place an etube so you can ensure she gets calories? If you can't get at least a 5.5 oz can into her with assist feeding or on her own, she needs a tube. Maverick almost died from just FHL - his story is in my signature. He had a tube for 10 weeks. Most cats only need them for a few weeks.

Also Garland had an insulin called "R" to bring down the numbers when they were high to help with DKA and prevent a relapse. Maybe someone can help with this at home. A few cats on the FAF board have been sent home with NG tubes but they are only short term and can only take liquid calories. Not any sort of blended food.

Sending lots of hugs and hoping for a full recovery for Tawny.

15. CD and BigMac

CD and BigMac Well-Known Member

Karrie is a true Angel for sharing her great advice. ((((Karrie!)))

Desi, you know Tawny loves you. She probably just feels a little yucky. And Venita has a good point about social eating. I have one kitty that only wants to eat if I watch her. It is weird, but I oblige her and just sit nearby so she will eat. Silly kitty. I have to admit I don't like eating alone either. (Unless it's chocolate.) :D

I'm sending you lots of hugs and encouragement. You and Tawny will get through this.

16. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

When J.D. feels a little off and walks away from his food, he'll eat it, if I put it in front of him and stand over him.
    Do you have an older or gentle mellow cat that Tawny could room with?

17. meand4

meand4 Member

My thoughts and prayers are with you!

18. DD & Tinkerbell

Karrie, thank you! Some questions: She is getting famotidine (sp?), is this not Pepcid? is this not anti-nausea med or is it just not potent enough? I will ask the vet about the 2 you mentioned...

Venita is going to talk to them about putting in a feeding tube for when she comes home even if she is still eating on her own at the hospital...

They used R to keep insulin in her the first time she went into the hospital last week, if I have to use it sometimes once she gets home I will learn...(there is no one else in my home to help, it's just me and all those critters).

And I do plan to join the Yahoo group you have mentioned in previous posts re the feeding tube.

Thanks for your input & advice.

Desi

19. Karrie and Maverick

Karrie and Maverick Well-Known Member

Pepcid is not for nausea. Its for excess stomach acid. Figure if you had the flu, would pepcid help? There is a misconception that Pepcid helps general nausea. There are things you can try but the important thing for DKA and FHL is calories and lots of them. However you can get them in. Remember with FHL - its enough calories that Tawny isn't resorting to body fat to make up for not enough calories. Her liver is clogging with fat and is a form of liver failure. She is very lucky in that the liver can heal. Food is the medicine. With DKA they need even more calories than just maintenance. 1.5xs the normal amount.

Antinausea medication is for feeling better, and helping her to eat on her own. It could take a little bit for her not to associate food with feeling horrible. If you join FAF let me know. I'll send you the hyperlink to the article on nausea. Some vets try and get their owners to use reglan/metoclopromide. This is good for dogs for nausea but the biology of a cat is different and it doesn't work the same on cats. It is good for nausea due to stomach motility issues. Maverick was on this along with ondansetron because his stomach wasn't emptying. This is often a side effect of the stomach surgery he had and the PEG tube.

The liver supplements have been proven to improve survivability in FHL cats also.

20. jan and Hep and sara (GA)

jan and Hep and sara (GA) Well-Known Member

(((Desi)))

Tawny doesn't hate you. She just isn't feeling well. I'm glad you have Karrie's expertise to help you through this. With her help along with others here you'll both get through this. At least she's doing a bit better and is where she should be right now.

Sending Tawny healing vines. You Tawny, Alex, Jill, and her DH are in my thoughts and prayers.

Hang in there.

21. Emmy & Dude

Emmy & Dude Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry to see that Tawny is ill again - hopefully she will continue to improve.

Of course she doesn't hate you, Desi - she loves you. but the posts above about "different finicky eaters" among our pets is soooo true. The last week or so, Dude has begun a new habit. If Mittsi finishes eating before he does (they eat side by side) and walks to check his - I say NO MITTSI - and he immediately stops eating and leaves the area. I then have to take the bowl of food to wherever he's gone and he resumes eating. Talk about "spoiled."

Hope the anti-nausea meds help. I always thought the Pepcid helped with nausea - interesting to read that it doesn't.

Keep up the good work - you're doing fine with a very ill kitty who is on the mend once again - and who is receiving many, many healing vibes and prayers.

Emmy & Dude (& Mittsi too)

22. missyandlittlegray

missyandlittlegray Member

You're doing a great job, Desi. And Tawny loves you. She knows you're trying to help her feel better.

23. mybuddybinks

Binks says Tawny confided to him that you are her one true love.
    It doesn't get better than that, Desi.

24. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Desi,
    Tawny is going through a lot right now. She loves you very much (how could she possibly hate you?!). You both will get through this and Tawny will be her old self again. Right now you are extremely lucky to have the benefit of Karrie's experience and the research she has done on FHL and DKA, assisted feeding, etc. etc. I hope that you'll be able to have the vet prescribe the pain meds she recommends. And if it looks like Tawny will not be able to eat the calories she needs on her own, the e tube sounds like the solution. Violet's Garland had an e tube for several weeks and is doing very well now. Tawny will do well, too.

Sending you lots of healing vines this evening and lots of hugs,

Ella & Rusty

25. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi guys - I just wanted to wish you all the best. and I hope Tawny is a able to come home soon. I can't help with any of what you re dealing with, as I have never been there, You have excellent resources here - it is so nice that they are willing to help. Good luck with everything.

and no worries... you know she loves you - she knows you are taking care of her, when she can't. you will see.

Mannie and I send many many healing vines.

26. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

I also spoke to Tawny's Internal Medicine vet, the practice owner, late this afternoon.

The things I have to add to what Desi reported are:

1. Tawny did have urinary ketones on admittance. I don't know the level. The vet said sometimes those are hard to clear. Dr. A. didn't seem too concerned about the urinary ketones.

• Tawny still has a UTI and they took a urine sample for a culture and sensitivity. They have switched her ABx from a Clavamox-type product to a Baytril-type product.

• Tawny is getting IV fluids via catheter. Dr. A. didn't say, but I assume, they are checking her phosphorus and potassium values via blood tests and supplementing accordingly.

• They are concerned that maybe the insulin pen Desi has been using has lost efficacy. I did explain that Desi had a new box of pens that DCIN helped her buy, and that Desi told me she will be changing pens. Dr. A. said that they would be raising Tawny's dose to 1.5U (from 1U) to get her numbers into a "good" range.

• Dr. A. and his vets at this time are trying hard to figure out why Tawny decompensated over the weekend. He said that Tawny was "taking the fingers off" an intern who was finger feeding her this afternoon. They will pull the NG tube if Tawny keeps eating (it's hard for a cat to swallow with an NG tube in). We didn't discuss an E-tube because he was so positive on Tawny eating on her own. I did mention my theory that Tawny might be a social eater and that she became depressed being isolated. She is getting a large amount of socialization at the clinic.

• The cost of services since Sunday's admittance total around $800, before the discounts the clinic is giving DCIN. Also, the IM vets are comping their consults. While Dr. A. intends to keep Tawny at least two more days (as Desi said), he also said he would keep the total costs under $1,500, which is what I told the clinic DCIN could pay. They are really working with us on costs.

Thank you everyone who is continuing to send such positive energy to Desi and Tawny. ((((Desi)))) Tawny loves you so dearly. This has nothing to do with her affection for you. The poor girl is just sick.

27. DD & Tinkerbell

Just wanted to add one last p.m. update, but really have nothing to add to what Venita has said above.

I talked to a tech a few minutes ago but didn't get much out of her. She said that Tawny was resting comfortably and had eaten, I asked does that mean she is eating on her own still and the tech said yes.

Thanks for the great update, Venita.

I plan to visit Tawny in the morning.

Thanks everyone, for so much support.

Desi

28. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Desi --

It sounds like they are feeding a higher carb food (i.e,, Meow Mix). If Tawny wants to eat HC at home, that's fine. You can adjust her insulin dose to offset the effect of a higher carb food if that's what Tawny wants to eat. Frankly, if she wants Chik-fil-A with a hot fudge sundae for dessert I'd let her eat it (well, maybe not the hot fudge). Whatever it takes to get her to eat is fine.

She doesn't hate you. She knows how much you care.

29. mybuddybinks

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

30. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

I am all for the chik-fil-a and hot fudge sundaes. Maybe I'll try those with Zener and we can eat each other's left overs. Paws crossed Tawny is home with you soon and feeling better. What an ordeal for her and her bean. It sounds like you have wonderful vets providing great care.

31. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

(((Desi))) You are an awesome mamabean and Tawny knows it and loves you. I'm so glad to hear she is eating.

Keeping you and her in our prayers and sending healing thoughts.

32. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

A morning visit, Desi? Great!! Give her hugs and snuggles from all of us, and take pictures.

Tuesday is Dr. Hebert's day off, and she was sick yesterday, but maybe we can see pictures of another of the super vets who are caring for Tawny. (Pictures always help me when I talk to the person.)

33. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Angela & Blackie & 3 Others Well-Known Member

I'm still continuing to send tons of prayers and healing vines for Tawny. Tawny does NOT hate you. She's ill. If you're ill, you'd want to be left alone, too. She knows that you're taking very good care of her, and she appreciates it very much. Hang in there, girl. You are doing great, and you've got a wealth of information on here to help you, plus lots of friends, incluing myself, who are behind you every step of the way. :YMHUG:

I look forward to more updates on Tawny. Please give her lots of :YMHUG: from us all on here, as well as tons of pets and scritches. Here's a :YMHUG: for YOU from us all on here. :YMHUG:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.