12/31 Blackie AMPS-405,+2.5-307,+5-337,+10-472,PMPS-497

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Team Blackie (GA), Dec 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Team Blackie (GA)

Team Blackie (GA) Member

12/30 Condo

Hes only had one nadir under 200 so should I do a few more cycles at 4.25 units or can I move it up tomorrow morning?

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Re: 12/31 Blackie AMPS-405

A couple of thoughts....

If you could try picking up tests at slightly different times during the day, it will add some dimension to the picture -- for example, testing at +2, +5, and +10. Some additional spot checks at night will also fill in the picture.

Personally, I think you have room to increase the dose but please wait for the dosing team to give you input.

3. Team Blackie (GA)

Team Blackie (GA) Member

Re: 12/31 Blackie AMPS-405,+2.5-307,+5-337

Another useless dose. Why haven't his other numbers come down? Nearly 2 months on Lantus and not even near regulation. If I have to keep increasing his dose then soon I'll be posting in the High Dosage forum.

4. carolynandlatte

carolynandlatte Well-Known Member

I suppose that could be the case. And, I might be wrong here...but I think once you find the right dose, even if it is really high, you will give the pancreas some much needed chill and recovery time. It may be possible once it has had a rest it will start kicking in a bit more and then the dose would need to be reduced.

Can anyone tell us if that is a possibility?

Also, there is no shame in how much insulin one needs. the important thing is to get the right dose. You two will get there. I think your patience has improved SOOOO much, which Im sure will help move things along and give Blackie a restful atmosphere to dwell.

I hope you two (and your mom) have a GREAT New Year, with many fantastic things to come.

5. carolynandlatte

carolynandlatte Well-Known Member

And...its not useless. Its helping you get to the RIGHT dose! :)

6. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

one more cycle on this dose...
    if nadirs continue to be greater than 200, take the dose up to 4.5u in the morning.
    happy new year!

7. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Re: 12/31 Blackie AMPS-405,+2.5-307,+5-337,+10-472

Gabby was diagnosed in May. I doubt that where she's at qualifies as "regulation." Caroline is right - it's not an issue of the amount of insulin; it's a matter of finding the right dose.

All of us get frustrated and disappointed. Gabby has a couple of very good days and then a day like today where she's in the pinks. The hardest thing to fully appreciate is that we do not have control over our cat's diabetes. We are not leading in this dance -- Blackie is in the lead. All you can do is follow and keep time. Two months ago the numbers you would have been posting were in the blacks. Blackie is improving.

It might help if you looked at other spreadsheets. Some will frustrate you -- kitties that are here for a month or two and are OTJ. Others are here for a year or more and may (or may not) go OTJ. And there are some that go into remission and become insulin dependent again. Remember the cardinal rule - ECID.

8. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

Re: 12/31 Blackie AMPS-405,+2.5-307,+5-337,+10-472

if it helps at all, look at Lucy's spreadsheet. Her breakthrough dose (twice) was 4.25 units, and sure enough, her little pancreas did manage to heal. Barbara and Tuffy is another one, I think at one point she was up over 5-6 units and is now very well regulated under 2 units. Some just need more juice than others.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.