2/12 Sami AMPS 50; Need Dose Advice; PMPS 80

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Tina & Sammy, Feb 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tina & Sammy

Tina & Sammy Well-Known Member

Yesterday's Condo

Last Night's Recap:
    PMPS = 72
    +3 = 52
    +4 = 53
    +5.5 = 47
    +6.5 = 54
    +9 = 54

This morning's Recap:
    AMPS = 50
    +1 = 58
    +2 = 57
    +4 = 56
    +6 = 60

Tonight's PMPS = 80

Sami started a little drama last night and fell below 50 again. This is the third time since since we went on the .25 unit dose, however, the first two times could have been due to an over full shed.

This morning her AMPS was 50, and I almost didn't shoot, but based on the information I have collected about how much she can rise after eating I decided to go ahead and shoot the full .25 dose. She will be with me all day and I have plenty of strips and HC food if I should need it. Depending on if and when she goes below 50 I may or may not feed HC. Last night at +5.5 after PMPS when she went below 50 I just gave LC food and she was fine.

We will see where today goes, but I am wondering if it is time to lower the dose again or if we should try to stay on this dose for a few more days. If it is the later, then what should I be looking for to determine if the dose should be lowered? Should she be under 40? Should she go under 50 two more times? I just want to know so I can be prepared.

Hope everyone has a great Friday.

2. Miriam and Putty (GA)

Miriam and Putty (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: 2/12 Sami AMPS 50; .25

Hi Tina.....it is always good to post the number if it goes below 50 so others would have seen it and been able to give you some feedback. I believe a number under 50 for a newbie is a reduction.
    I would add a question mark to your subject line to see if there is a reduction here.
    I would watch this cycle carefully as you seem to know.

3. Tina & Sammy

Re: 2/12 Sami AMPS 50; .25

Thanks Miriam, I went back an updated my post to include this information.

4. Tina & Sammy

Re: 2/12 Sami AMPS 50; .25 Units; Need Dose Advice

So far today, Sami did not fall below 50, as far as I saw. I didn't check her much this afternoon to give her ears a break. I did check at +6 and she was at 60. I guess at this point we will see where she is at PMPS, but more than likely I will be sticking with the.25 unit dose tonight.

5. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Hi Tina. Those are some mighty good nummers that Sami has got. I hope some more experiences eyes can get a look before youe PM cycle. Webber has a couple of nights where I was on the fence whether or not to dosecrease or try one more cycle on the same dose. It gets tough when you get to this point, because you want to give Mr P enough time to heal, yet you don't want to put Sami in danger.

Will you be around through +6 to monitor tonight?

6. Tina & Sammy

I will be around until +4, but then I will be going to bed. If she is lower than 55 at +4 then I will probably get up at +6 just to check her. So yes, I will be around and able to monitor all night.

7. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

Tina.. Sami is looking sooooo good cat_pet_icon

Congrats to you both...

8. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

Gosh, I thought an AMPS of 50 qualified for a dosecrease but itself -- but I KNOW NOTHING so don't listen to me! :mrgreen: I'll be interested to see what more experienced people think. Nice problem to have, though. :D

9. Chris & Mally

Chris & Mally Member

Sami has a lovely SS - lots and lots of green. :smile:

10. Miriam and Putty (GA)

Miriam and Putty (GA) Well-Known Member

Based on the 47 last night I think there should have been a dose reduction today but I would let more experienced eyes tell you what you should dose.

11. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Bump!! TIna when is your shot time? I am guessing it may have already passed since you already posted the PMPS? I will check your SS.

ETA - I see you went ahead and shot the 0.25. Good luck, hope she shows you something that will hlp you decide to dosecrease. ;-) Can you get a +1 to see how she is going to start this cycle?

Attached Files:

12. Tina & Sammy

Yes, shot time was 4 hours ago at 5:30 pm. I did shot the .25 units, and just checked at +4 and she was 52. I will check again in 2 hours to see where she is, but my guess is she will go below 50 again, this is based on what she did last night.

Earlier this week I was advised to keep Sami on Insulin as long as possible to prevent a failed OTJ attempt. I believe this was mostly because it had only been a few days since we had seen some higher numbers, and we dropped a full 1.0 units in dose in a matter of just a few days.

I just don't know how long I should keep going and what I should be looking for to determine if I should decrease again. It has now been 9 days since we have seen anything above 150 and 10 days since seeing anything above 200.

Again I don't know how long I should wait before decreasing to .10 or if I should just go straight to OTJ Trial.

Please let me know if I should adjust Sami's dose in the morning. Thanks.

13. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

It does get confusing.. I did see where you were told to keep Sami on a low dose & not try OTJ too soon.. & I do see some SS of kitties who are held on insulin a while before going OTJ... but then I see others who are granted OTJ a few weeks at low #s.. not sure what the criteria is.. but I do see varied advice.

14. Tina & Sammy

x

I have seen different circumstances as well. I have been spending a lot of time looking at spreadsheets for kitties that have just gone on OTJ Trial, Webber, Mally, and Dillan. Based on the numbers Sami has seen the last few days she should be entitled to a decrease to .10, but I also don't want to have a failed OTJ Trial. In addition, I don't know if it is possible to go from .25 to OTJ Trial, or if it is just better to take a stop over at .10 units.

I just hope someone can give me some clue as to what we should do next.

15. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Possibly because ECID and situations are different, not every cat is quick to heal, some kitties come thru here misdiagnosed and all it takes is a change in diet and a little time on juice...it is highly encouraged to keep on insulin as long as possible to make sure the numbers will hold, to which it gives kitties a much better chance of remission sticking.

Hey - look at me - we were on that fat zero dose for over 25 cycles - it's agonizing - how much longer, how much longer...as long as it takes to make sure it sticks.

16. Amy and Six

Amy and Six Well-Known Member

Wow Sami!!!! Keep it up (meaning down :lol:). Hope Sami surfs for you tonight without too much drama!

17. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

unless a newly diagnosed kitty falls below 50, each dose should be held for 7 days before attempting a reduction. this is a general guideline. occasionally, a set of experienced eyes may see reasons for attempting a reduction for other reasons such as a preshot number which is too low to shoot (below 50) or the reoccurrence of inverted curves.

another general guideline... usually the path down the dosing scale is 1u, 0.75u, 0.5u, 0.25u, with the last dose being 0.1 unit.

imho, (because sami dropped below 50) you could attempt a reduction to 0.1 unit in the morning.
    here's a pic: http://www.flickr.com/photos/29764149@N02/2783154839/
    good luck with the new dose!

18. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Tina - what about waiting only one hour instead of two to test again?

19. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

hmm, u might want to test 1/2 hour from that 52...might catch something good!

20. paige

paige Well-Known Member

There you got it TIna. Good luck with the dosecrease in the morning. :mrgreen:

21. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

i agree with ronnie... i'd grab another test 30 minutes after that 52.

22. Chris & Mally

Chris & Mally Member

Congratulations on the new dose, Tina! :smile:

23. Tina & Sammy

Thanks for all the advice last night. I checked Sami again at +5 last night, after the 52, and she was at 58. I had planned to sleep through the night, but I wanted to check her again at two hours later just to see if she went below 50 again. And sure enough she did. At +7 she was at 47 again. I gave her a snack and went back to bed with every intention to get up an hour later to make sure she was on the rise. Oopps, I didn't set the alarm properly and didn't wake up until +11.5. The night before I had left some additional food out after her snack, but last night I didn't. I sure hope she didn't go lower without any food available for help. I will check her again in 30 minutes at her AMPS to see where she is hopefully she was surfing and everything will be fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.